• 170 results
#151 Edited by SpartanHoplite (384 posts) -

I served in Finnish military for 6 months, as do every Finnish male. But would i go to be a Peacekeeper, fuck no!

#152 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@SpartanHoplite said:

I served in Finnish military for 6 months, as do every Finnish male. But would i go to be a Peacekeeper, fuck no!

Don't you mean Warfighter?

#153 Posted by forkboy (1138 posts) -

@Erk_Forever: Yes, I am aware of Afghanistans lack of oil. Hence why, aside from mentioning an oil pipeline in the country (in error) I did not mention oil in regards to that country.

#154 Posted by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

@forkboy: You mentioned an oil pipeline and a an oil exporter that is now owned by a major oil company. None of these things support an argument for our presence in Afghanistan being motivated by opening new markets up to our domestic businesses.

#155 Posted by forkboy (1138 posts) -

@Erk_Forever: No I mentioned that an oil company (Unocal) was involved in the pipeline. That's a related issue. If the pipeline was for oil or gas, Unocal were still involved.

Clearly economic & political reasons were not nearly as important in regards to the Afghan invasion when compared to the Iraq invasion. A futile hunt for a man who ended up hiding in the borders of an "ally" nation was the primary reason for Afghanistan. But the boom was certainly there for many western companies, just because there's no oil does not mean there's not plenty opportunities, especially for security contractors. And the nation's market is now opened up, even if many of the contracts didn't end up going the way of American companies but to China. Many did go to western corporations.

#156 Posted by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

@forkboy: You're right. Opportunities did open up, however, that is still a poor argument to explain our presence there. I think that the seeking enemies of the American people where they was the primary motivation, following an attack on the American people. To say otherwise just seems to ridiculous. The hunt for the one man was also the hunt for his supporters; the people who would assist him in doing it again. The taliban were hiding him and we owed it to the innocent people he helped murder to find him, and make him and all his friends pay. Did people end up profiting? Yes. That's just something that happens with the military industrial complex. Wars make someone rich. We're not going to fault doctors for profiting from another persons misfortune, are we? We're going to say "Thanks doc." Doing something we ought to do turned out to be profitable. Big deal, but, an unpopular war (globally unpopular) and the massive debt that goes with it is hardly a boon to the American people. ps, unocal withdrew from the consortium involved in the pipeline was acquired by chevron is now an inactive subsidiary, furthermore, the pipeline was primary being pushed by other middle eastern companies and less so by American businesses. This was in 1998 prior to the september 11th attacks, but, after terrorist attacks on american embassies in the region (credited to osama bin laden). On top of all of this, it seems like Afghanistan stands to make a deal of money from the pipeline passing through the country as well; which seems good when you consider they have next to no industry. I'm done.

#157 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

@Vigil said:

@TwoOneFive said:

I'm in the Air Force. I'm a TACP JTAC.

Best decision I ever made in my life. I love my job.

TACP is actually the field I'm quite interested in, didn't think Id find a JTAC in the gb community.

Yeah I always wonder who else is on this site who has a job remotely similar to my own.

Any questions you may have just shoot me a PM.

#158 Posted by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

Yes.

#159 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Considered joining the Air "Force"(not really a thing here in Denmark. More like a: "Hey, let's fly around in the old shit that other countries have thrown away-Force)  
Then I became Diabetic and now the good old military doesn't even want me. Apparantly it's contagious(It actually said that in the papers I got, I nearly died laughing)

#160 Posted by Profsn1pe (16 posts) -

I've thought about joining the military before and I talked to the marine and army recruiters for a few days before deciding against it. I at one point wanted to go to college and then become an officer as a tech guy of some kind. I guess I just kind of changed my mind one day that I didn't want to join the military anymore.

#161 Posted by _Mattallica (200 posts) -

Nah, not really.

#162 Posted by natetodamax (19192 posts) -

I'm considering it as an option for sure.

#163 Posted by HKZ (70 posts) -

Spent 5 years in the Marines, got out because I realized the US is (still) in the business of killing brown people for their resources. Damn shame because we could do a lot of good with our military, yet all it's used for now is to make corporations a shitload of money, and it's all wrapped up nicely in a package that has "Defending our freedom/country" on the tag. Nothing could be further from the truth sadly.

#164 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

I considered it in high school, but then I remembered that I am actually a noodle and later became a pacifist.

#165 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

No thanks, I hate war and guns (fake guns are awesome though)

#166 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

Awhile ago but not anymore.

#167 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Fuck the forces.

#168 Edited by isomeri (1254 posts) -

I joined the army as a part of the mandatory Finnish service system. I trained in urban warfare and was on my way to becoming a Jäger. But a little bit into my service I busted my knee during training and was sent home on six months hiatus. I decided to switch to the mandatory civil service line at that point, because I wanted to have my service done with as soon as possible. I'm quite convinced that the unarmed civil service I did in association with the UN and NGOs was more useful to my country than spending six months to a year crawling around the woods.

I'm glad that I didn't fulfill my army training. I respect the need for a national military force at this point, but I find that need somewhat sad. Then again I'm glad that I did receive some military training. I'm confident enough that I could protect myself and those close to me in case of an emergency.

#169 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus: That's awesome dude. Good luck to you and a big salute.

#170 Posted by mrmanga (219 posts) -

I am close to being a pacifist so no.