Have you ever witnessed the death of a podcast?

• 178 results
largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By largo6661

Gamesradar UK

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By MAGZine

GameCentral Podcast.

...i missed that :(

GameTheory podcast as well.

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By glyn

1upyours

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By DopeToast

The Gamespy Debriefings died, but luckily they came back with the Kickstarter funded Comedy Button, so save for a few month break, it's almost like it never ended. And I suppose the NintenDownload X-press, although it hasn't officially been cancelled...

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#105  Edited By LackingSaint

Waller FM, the amazing podcast by the guys behind Salad Fingers and Burnt Face Man. Got 6 episodes in then just stopped. Sad times.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Behind the Screened Door. It was a slow and painful death, and Screened itself went down in the Whiskey Media implosion of 2012.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#107  Edited By iamjohn

@ReCkLeSs_X said:

Rest in piece, 1UP :(

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#108  Edited By reckless_x

I still revisit the 1UP Show from time to time.

I nostalgia HARD

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#109  Edited By Little_Socrates

@MariachiMacabre said:

Possibly SatDish last week. I really hope not though. I really fucking hope not.

Was it just not pulling enough people in? I've been downloading every episode, but I don't watch TV, so I rarely actually listen.

@Winsord said:

@Ares42 said:

Not exactly a podcast, but I used to watch NooBTooB. Pretty great and funny (those guys never held back), and had the most insane revelation in the last episode.

NooBTooB, a weekly independent podcast brought to you by gamers, for gamers. I still miss the show, though the PAX special episode they did earlier was great.

This is the one I always mention. One of the saddest endings to a podcast ever, even if those last six months were always rocky. That PAX episode stirred me up, though. Just hearing those guys talk again made me miss it all the more. Tobin eventually convinced me to buy Yakuza 4 near its release, which was very well worth it! Hanzo is an adorable kid, too. I don't know if he still uses the site, but old NoobToob community starlet migrated here before NoobToob's fall.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#110  Edited By wrighteous86

@FluxWaveZ said:

1UP Yours, 1UP Show and other podcasts following the 1upocalypse. The 1UP Show is what introduced me to these, and I was sad to see it go.

This, along with GFW Radio. I was a 1upocalypse refugee when I came to Giant Bomb. (NOTE: You can see young Klepek in this video!)

Also, Daves of Thunder.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By MrKlorox

Voting yes out of prediction that 8-4 play won't last much longer.

I haven't been listening to a particular podcast as it died though. I stopped 1up yours and Screened and stuff well before they petered out.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#112  Edited By evanbower

Game Scoop! is basically dead... unrecognizable to its former self/for some reason a video now.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By CatsAkimbo
  • GFW Radio - the Brodeo
  • 1up yours
  • A Life Well Wasted
  • Nintendownload X-Press (noooooooooooooooooo!)
  • Several other stupid non-gaming podcasts I listened to for a while
TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#114  Edited By TheKing

Some of the guys who did TalkRadar now do a Podcast called Lasertime.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#115  Edited By iceman228433

Like others have said the 1up stuff was all great at a moment of time. Gameing Steve the first video game podcast I listned to back in 05.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By dungbootle

I voted no, because NDX is not dead!

SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By SniperXan

@FluxWaveZ said:

1UP Yours, 1UP Show and other podcasts following the 1upocalypse. The 1UP Show is what introduced me to these, and I was sad to see it go.

yup

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Scrawnto

My friends, allow me to introduce you to Tweet Me Harder, which ended in March of 2011 (with an unexpected encore in January of 2012). It was a sort of absurdist, comedy podcast by two web cartoonists, David Malki and Kris Straub.

David Malki is the author and illustrator of Wondermark (which seems to be down right now). Kris Straub is the author and illustrator of Broodhollow, Starslip, and Chainsawsuit.

The podcast was recorded live, with interaction with listeners accomplished through tweets. Because the podcast didn't cover any sort of current events, it totally stands the test of time. I highly recommend you guys check it out. It only ran for 76 episodes, so it isn't too insane to work through it.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#119  Edited By StarFoxA

@CatsAkimbo said:

• A Life Well Wasted

No! It's still alive! I refuse to believe you!

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#120  Edited By spiceninja

Three Red Lights, Mysterious Universe (they came back after a couple of years), and Screened most recently.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#121  Edited By musclerider
@Little_Socrates

@MariachiMacabre said:

Possibly SatDish last week. I really hope not though. I really fucking hope not.

Was it just not pulling enough people in? I've been downloading every episode, but I don't watch TV, so I rarely actually listen.

@Winsord said:

@Ares42 said:

Not exactly a podcast, but I used to watch NooBTooB. Pretty great and funny (those guys never held back), and had the most insane revelation in the last episode.

NooBTooB, a weekly independent podcast brought to you by gamers, for gamers. I still miss the show, though the PAX special episode they did earlier was great.

This is the one I always mention. One of the saddest endings to a podcast ever, even if those last six months were always rocky. That PAX episode stirred me up, though. Just hearing those guys talk again made me miss it all the more. Tobin eventually convinced me to buy Yakuza 4 near its release, which was very well worth it! Hanzo is an adorable kid, too. I don't know if he still uses the site, but old NoobToob community starlet migrated here before NoobToob's fall.

On the topic of Sat Dish, Justin tweeted last week that Sydnee couldn't handle people trolling her so she doesn't want to do it anymore.

I listened to the Joystiq podcast from ep 3 to whenever it turned into the terrible Joystiq Show abomination.

Another sad one is 1up
CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By CatsAkimbo

@StarFoxA said:

@CatsAkimbo said:

• A Life Well Wasted

No! It's still alive! I refuse to believe you!

It's over, I'm sorry :( The last of the GFW'ers' podcasts. Though you're right, it's still in my podcast list along with the feeds of other podcasts that petered out, just in case.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By HarlechQuinn

- GFW Radio - the Brodeo

- 1up yours

- EGM Live

- A Life Well Wasted (although it was never officially announced as dead, so there is still hope... a little bit...)

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By kishinfoulux

Talk Radar was great, with all the sound effects and shit. Now it's just...boring.

Gamepsy Debriefings became the Comedy Button, but something about the Debriefings being slightly about games I loved.

Podtoid, during their prime was amazing. Anthony Burch, Brad Nicholson, Samit Sarkar, Jim Sterling, Topher Cantler, etc. Awesome cast, which caused much hilarity.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Nation764 said:

@JustKamToo said:

Giant Bomb April 2011 RIP

I agree with this. It's too bad.

What's significant about this, or is there a joke I'm missing?

nodachie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#126  Edited By nodachie

I think the one I do with my friends is dying, Brace For Impact Unfortunately, even though it's fun, some one is always frustrated with it. I've enjoyed podcasts for years, since my job allows me to listen to my ipod for 8 hours a day. I've listened to GB since day 1 episode 1. Still waiting for the GaintBomb tv show.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#127  Edited By Zirilius

@CaptainFake said:

@AgentDanger said:

GFW Radio was great - but, unfortunately, 1up wasn't meant to last :(

I still miss GFW Radio. Nearly everyone who was ever on that show moved on from games journalism, too.

1UP, GFW, and the original iteration of 40k Radio and All Games Radio

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Christoffer

By the way, what happened to Out of the Game Podcast? Is it dead? They were great and got me into Malcolm Gladwell. I now hate Malcolm Gladwell but I still think they were great.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By HaltIamReptar

gotta pour one out for GFW Radio.

Antithesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Antithesis

R.I.P. Brodeo

alfawolf04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By alfawolf04

Sarcastic Gamer podcasts died pretty horribly.

graboids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#132  Edited By graboids

1Up Yours, GFW Radio, GS Debriefings, TalkRadar, Nintendo DownloadXPress....

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#133  Edited By Animasta

@kishinfoulux said:

@Nation764 said:

@JustKamToo said:

Giant Bomb April 2011 RIP

I agree with this. It's too bad.

What's significant about this, or is there a joke I'm missing?

Patrick, I think

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#134  Edited By MetalBaofu

@crusader8463 said:

@MetalBaofu said:

Diggnation. And, most recently, The Totally Rad Show.

Really? TRS is dead now? That sucks. I stopped watching when they went to that terrible format where they broke each segment into it's own video so they could have way more ad's being plastered in the show. So I can't speak for it recently, but there was a good year there where I was really into Diggnation and TRS.

Anyway, the only ones I was there for were Diggnation and when 1up exploded.

I can't remember how they were doing the ads when they first went daily, but lately all they were doing is a sponsor read at the end of the show. Was really simple to just watch the show, then stop it once they got to the ads. And for their last show, they did an hour long show in the style that they started with.

@JazGalaxy said:

@MetalBaofu said:

Diggnation. And, most recently, The Totally Rad Show.

That was so bizarre. It was like one day you tune in and they're just like "Hey, so, this is the last week."

Yeah. When they went daily I started letting a few episodes pile up before watching them all at once. It had been a while since I watched one, then I started it up and they were talking about it being the last 2 weeks of the show. I'll definitely miss TRS.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#135  Edited By C0V3RT

@Manhattan_Project said:

@DarthOrange said:

@Manhattan_Project said:

@DarthOrange said:

@C0V3RT said:

TalkRadar. The core crew of Chris, Brett, Mikel, and Charlie were amazing. I didn't mind Hank as much as some. Tyler hit his stride when he stopped trying so hard. I stopped listening shortly after Hollander Cooper came on board. He was just...awful. I listened to their new podcast Laser Time for a while but it never felt the same. The high point of TDAR was Chris' story of some random dog shitting on it's own balls story and their 100th episode.

I always liked the story Chris gave in the episode where they revisited the superman getting an atom bomb in the ass topic. Chris talked about getting into a fight with his dad and how he could never get hit him. "Come on and hit me! I fuck your mother!" That shit was the best! I didn't mind Cooper all that much but I thought Henry was just such a dick sometimes. Like when I said my game of the year was inFamous 2 Cooper was the only one that agreed that it was a fantastic game. Henry said I was full of shit. I figured someone like him would be able to appreciate a superhero game, but he always seemed to dislike the PS3. The best thing about TalkRadar was that they always had the community in their mind, and they never forgot about why they were recording a podcast in the first place. They always included fan art in their posts and they encouraged community activity. Hell, a third (usually more) of each podcast was dedicated to the community. The biggest reason I stopped listening to the bombcast and watching quick looks is because the staff here doesn't seem to give the first shit about us. They will occasionally rush through some emails and other then that will almost always just mention people on this site as being assholes on the internet who write shitty things because they are assholes on the internet. The community here is 100 times more vibrant and active then it ever was on gamesradar and yet the staff never seems to appreciate it.

The guys are always mentioning the awesome stuff people do on twitter. At one point all of them changed their avatar to the Mega Man art someone did of them. Why do you think they get Dave, Vinny, and Drew together for every flight sim game? Why do you think they had a QL of Farming Sim 2012? Or how about Vinny and Jeff suddenly becoming the "sports guys?"

I guess I spoke to broadly. I mean they don't give a shit about non-subscribers. I don't follow them on Twitter so I don't know what happens there but here we regulars don't get any love. The community action that is TNT is subscriber only. The Flight Club is subscriber only. Jeff answers question that are asked to him by subscribers, for subscribers in Jar Time. Why is there shit even behind a pay wall anymore? The original reason they gave was because they wanted to remain independent, and it was helping keep five sites a float. What reason is there now for them to not just open up the content to everyone like a normal website?

TNT is not subscriber only. Anyone can watch it live and anyone can watch it on Justin.TV. And I didn't say Flight Club. There have been two Flight Club games, Lunar Flight and one for a beta. The rest are all hour-long Quick Looks. Maybe you should actually look this stuff up instead of assuming.

As for the subscription service, since nobody knows what the business side of things looks like, I don't know.

I would also add, that not one thing that was ever free is now behind a pay wall. For a a short while when the subscription option came out, Ryan talked about making the Bombcast a subscriber feature but couldn't logistically figure out how to implement it and decided against it. If anything, there seems to be the chain of thought that subscribers need more content exclusive to them.

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By BoatDrinks

The NDX lives!

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#137  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
  • GFW Radio
  • Daves of Thunder
  • 1UP Yours
chibi_kaji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By chibi_kaji
@C0V3RT said:

@Manhattan_Project said:

@DarthOrange said:

@Manhattan_Project said:

@DarthOrange said:

@C0V3RT said:

TalkRadar. The core crew of Chris, Brett, Mikel, and Charlie were amazing. I didn't mind Hank as much as some. Tyler hit his stride when he stopped trying so hard. I stopped listening shortly after Hollander Cooper came on board. He was just...awful. I listened to their new podcast Laser Time for a while but it never felt the same. The high point of TDAR was Chris' story of some random dog shitting on it's own balls story and their 100th episode.

I always liked the story Chris gave in the episode where they revisited the superman getting an atom bomb in the ass topic. Chris talked about getting into a fight with his dad and how he could never get hit him. "Come on and hit me! I fuck your mother!" That shit was the best! I didn't mind Cooper all that much but I thought Henry was just such a dick sometimes. Like when I said my game of the year was inFamous 2 Cooper was the only one that agreed that it was a fantastic game. Henry said I was full of shit. I figured someone like him would be able to appreciate a superhero game, but he always seemed to dislike the PS3. The best thing about TalkRadar was that they always had the community in their mind, and they never forgot about why they were recording a podcast in the first place. They always included fan art in their posts and they encouraged community activity. Hell, a third (usually more) of each podcast was dedicated to the community. The biggest reason I stopped listening to the bombcast and watching quick looks is because the staff here doesn't seem to give the first shit about us. They will occasionally rush through some emails and other then that will almost always just mention people on this site as being assholes on the internet who write shitty things because they are assholes on the internet. The community here is 100 times more vibrant and active then it ever was on gamesradar and yet the staff never seems to appreciate it.

The guys are always mentioning the awesome stuff people do on twitter. At one point all of them changed their avatar to the Mega Man art someone did of them. Why do you think they get Dave, Vinny, and Drew together for every flight sim game? Why do you think they had a QL of Farming Sim 2012? Or how about Vinny and Jeff suddenly becoming the "sports guys?"

I guess I spoke to broadly. I mean they don't give a shit about non-subscribers. I don't follow them on Twitter so I don't know what happens there but here we regulars don't get any love. The community action that is TNT is subscriber only. The Flight Club is subscriber only. Jeff answers question that are asked to him by subscribers, for subscribers in Jar Time. Why is there shit even behind a pay wall anymore? The original reason they gave was because they wanted to remain independent, and it was helping keep five sites a float. What reason is there now for them to not just open up the content to everyone like a normal website?

TNT is not subscriber only. Anyone can watch it live and anyone can watch it on Justin.TV. And I didn't say Flight Club. There have been two Flight Club games, Lunar Flight and one for a beta. The rest are all hour-long Quick Looks. Maybe you should actually look this stuff up instead of assuming.

As for the subscription service, since nobody knows what the business side of things looks like, I don't know.

I would also add, that not one thing that was ever free is now behind a pay wall. For a a short while when the subscription option came out, Ryan talked about making the Bombcast a subscriber feature but couldn't logistically figure out how to implement it and decided against it. If anything, there seems to be the chain of thought that subscribers need more content exclusive to them.

No, Ryan was against that. it was Whiskeymedia that wanted to do that.
C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#139  Edited By C0V3RT

@Chibi_Kaji:I never heard that it was Whiskey's but whatever, at some point it was kicked around.

DeadPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#140  Edited By DeadPan

@Hashbrowns said:

Screened, I suppose.

This

Tried that Pupcast thing, Its awful...

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Brother_PipPop

LAN Party

crunchbitejr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#142  Edited By crunchbitejr

RIP The Brodeo.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#143  Edited By TheMasterDS

Screenedcast. It was languishing even before the buy out. It's sad to say I don't miss it.

Gatsb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Gatsb

Rip in piece, Tippingforties. You were alright.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By stonyman65

Screaned, Tested (not dead, but dead to me), The HotSpot...

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Zelyre

Brodeo day always brightened up my week.

Bobafeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Bobafeet

GFW/CGW Radio was, and will always remain my favorite.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

I've always managed to jump ship well before their downfall. I'm a trendsetter.

mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By mosdef

Viking Youth Power Hour. It was a podcast the really made me rethink everything I thought I knew. I think of it more as a drunken classroom that you could mediate too.

No Caption Provided
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#150  Edited By nintendoeats

Pouring one out for the hotspot. I wasn't listening to it, but it is still missed.