• 51 results
AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By AlexB

I don't know know about you, but I am sort of morally apposed to them and have yet to shell out $8 just to be dissapointed. Everything about 3D is so forced and obvious. It's like ooo lets throw some stuff at the screen, then wait look over there *as arm goes into screen*. It seems to blatently obvious, it just seems like it would ruin the movie.

I guess I bring this up because apparently the new Resident Evil: Afterlife movie is to be shot entirely in 3D. Now I know the movies aren't spectacular by any stretch of the imagination, but I always found them to be at least entertaining, and well, I like the franchise. So now that the new one is 3D is sort of turns me off. How about you? Are any that you've seen as of lately any good?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

Hell, I haven't seen a movie at the theater since The Dark Night. 3D is way out of my realm.

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Expletive

I thought UP Was very nice in 3D, other than that I kind of agree.  

ALSO: 700 POSTS!!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

I don't want to have to wear plastic glasses to enjoy a film.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By The_Dude

I've seen a few, I thought Beowulf and Coraline were decent in 3D.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

It's always better when its not so in your face, the last thing I want is Brendan fucking fraser  jumping into my face every two minutes, Beowulf did it really well but films like coraline and nightmare before christmas use it sparingly and to great effect. My blood valentine was  ridiculous though and I guess thats kind of the point.
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By torus
@AlexB said:

" I don't know know about you, but I am sort of morally apposed to them and have yet to shell out $8 just to be dissapointed. Everything about 3D is so forced and obvious. It's like ooo lets throw some stuff at the screen, then wait look over there *as arm goes into screen*. It seems to blatently obvious, it just seems like it would ruin the movie.   I guess I bring this up because apparently the new Resident Evil: Afterlife movie is to be shot entirely in 3D. Now I know the movies aren't spectacular by any stretch of the imagination, but I always found them to be at least entertaining, and well, I like the franchise. So now that the new one is 3D is sort of turns me off. How about you? Are any that you've seen as of lately any good? "

You haven't seen Coraline then. It's one of the few 3d movies that actually does it well. 

For one thing, the 3d uses polarized glasses, rather than the anaglyph red-blue stereo glasses (at least in some theaters). That makes the picture look far better. It also does NOT shove it in your face. The effect is quite subtle, and simply gives everything a bit more depth. 

I don't know if it's still showing in your area, in 3d, but if it is, you should go see it. You won't be able to get the experience again (unless you have a 3d capable TV/monitor, that is, one that can refresh at 120 Hz, you can't watch it in polarized 3d, only anaglyph).

Other than that though, yes, you are right. 3d is far more often abused.
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Andorski

I saw Up in 3D, which only used the effect in subtle ways (save for a few action scenes).

I just think it's going to take some time before directors learn how to use the technology as something more than a gimmick.  I'm excited to see how James Cameron uses it in Avatar, and how Tim Burton will use it in Alice in Wonderland.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Toxin066

The last 3D movie I saw was Honey I Shrunk the Audience at Disneyworld.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@AlexB said:
"I don't know know about you, but I am sort of morally apposed to them and have yet to shell out $8 just to be dissapointed. Everything about 3D is so forced and obvious. It's like ooo lets throw some stuff at the screen, then wait look over there *as arm goes into screen*. It seems to blatently obvious, it just seems like it would ruin the movie.   I guess I bring this up because apparently the new Resident Evil: Afterlife movie is to be shot entirely in 3D. Now I know the movies aren't spectacular by any stretch of the imagination, but I always found them to be at least entertaining, and well, I like the franchise. So now that the new one is 3D is sort of turns me off. How about you? Are any that you've seen as of lately any good? "

I cant stand 3-D either.
AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By AlexB
@torus: Like I said, I've never seen a 3D movie, let alone Coraline. Im guessing they give you the standards Red and Blue glasses in the DVD, so I guess really the only way to experience them is in theaters with the new one's.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

no, i've never seen a movie in 3D before. i've seen things in 3D but never an actual movie.

mikyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mikyy

3d is okay but yeh getting to obvious now a days... oh no glass shooting at us... i mean come on...

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Meowayne

I have seen all the 3D stuff at Disneyworld, also Beowulf, Nightmare Before Christmas 3D and Coraline. 

I love it. What I found irritating, though, is that apparently some theatres still use shutter glasses, and these suck. Beowulf and Nightmabre Before Christmas was perfect 3D with very pleasant, light glasses and I went to see Coraline expecting the same, but we got heavy shutter glasses which were both uncomfortable AND ruined the effect as it just doesn't work with quick movements.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Meowayne

Everything about 3D is so forced and obvious. It's like ooo lets throw some stuff at the screen, then wait look over there *as arm goes into screen*. It seems to blatently obvious, it just seems like it would ruin the movie. 

There are no over-the-top "look, we are 3D!" effects in Coraline.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By flaminghobo

I saw Beowulf in 3D, that was pretty awesome. I'd like to see Toy Story in 3D soon.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HandsomeDead

I saw My Bloody Valentine 3D and The Final Destination. The first was amazing, the latter was ridiculously tame but I'm still undecided on the topic because while I think 3D is pointless, I am still really looking forward to Avatar and all the PIXAR stuff coming out on this side of the Atlantic soon.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Romination

Up in 3-d. unfortunate, because it kinda marred the beauty of it and it seemed a heckuva lot choppier then it actually was.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mikeeegeee

As some people have pointed out, there's different ways that 3D is being used right now:

1. the traditional, in-your-face, here comes an explosion so let's throw a bunch of shit in your face, way (My bloody valentine, the final destination)

and

2. The way they use it with modern CGI movies. Up in 3D, Monsters Vs. Aliens in 3D, Coraline (although originally made with figures and 3D was later tackked on) all used the 3D in a really tasteful manner. The effect, when done right, is one that mimics a hologram being shown on screen at all times. Up was a prime example of this. Watching it in 3D is essentially equivalent with watching a movie in hologram mode.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By EVO

Reading this thread has made me think it's only a matter of time until we see games in 3D.

Pantalooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pantalooney

I've seen a Santa Claus 3D movie 5 years ago, it wasnt really good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I saw the Final Destination in 3d, that was pretty good. I think 3D is just a gimmick to get you to pay more and to stop people videoing it on a handycam.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HandsomeDead
@zudthespud said:
"I think 3D is just a gimmick to get you to pay more and to stop people videoing it on a handycam. "
That is actually all it's for in 99% of the cases.
The_Shanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Shanimal

Does one of those 3D theatre rides at a theme park count?
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i have NEVER seen a 3D movie with the glasses.. came real close to it at Disney Land in Paris but we got out before the movie started

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GreggD
@The_Dude said:
" I've seen a few, I thought Beowulf and Coraline were decent in 3D. "
Yeah, I thought Coraline was good. That's actually the only movie I've seen in 3D.
JackPack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JackPack

I've seen Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs in 3D and I kinda liked it. This technology might have some potential if used well.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CL60

It depends on what type of 3d is being used. I like the newer 3d if it is done right. It looks great. The old red and blue glasses thing sucks.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Xeiphyer
@expletive said:
" I thought UP Was very nice in 3D... "
Yeah that was good, also coraline was good too
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By ArchScabby

I saw The Final Destination 3D a couple weeks ago. 

That's not a good movie.

Chipset_Seven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Chipset_Seven

yep - Coraline & Up

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dagas

I'm not at all interested in 3D. Maybe it's much better now than in the early-mid 90's when I last saw anything in 3D, but unless they manage true 3D a la Star Trek holodeck I'm fine with 2D.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zeforgotten

I've seen a couple (well 4 actually) 
They looked good, but they weren't good movies.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MrSnow

I never saw a 3D movie. I will someday when it willl be done properly.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HandsomeDead
@MrSnow said:
" I never saw a 3D movie. I will someday when it willl be done properly. "
December 18th 2009.
MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MrSnow

Why whats comeing out @HandsomeDead:

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HandsomeDead
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#38  Edited By citizenkane

I have seen Beowulf and Up in 3D.  Those are the only ones.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By penguindust

Not counting Captain EO at EPCOT in the mid 80s, the last 3D movie I saw in theaters was Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone starring Peter Strauss, and very young Molly Ringwald, Ernie Hudson and (Sam Fisher?!) Michael Ironside.  That was in 1983!  I haven't seen one since (except for EO).

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Psyx2

I can barely see out of my left eye so it's impossible for me to get the 3D effect, so nope. Hopefully it doesn't ever become required for a movie to have 3D, or else I'm screwed.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PJ
Yes, and its retarded(sorry), dont really see the benifit of having 3D other then the movie looking like shit(no I'm not talking about the red and blue glasses 3D but the new type of 3D, still looks like shit)

Also
@Claude: Whats "Batman The Dark Night"? its just "The Dark Knight" Yes, I had to point that out since I'm a dick.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#42  Edited By Claude
@PJ said:
" Yes, and its retarded(sorry), dont really see the benifit of having 3D other then the movie looking like shit(no I'm not talking about the red and blue glasses 3D but the new type of 3D, still looks like shit)

Also
@Claude: Whats "Batman The Dark Night"? its just "The Dark Knight" Yes, I had to point that out since I'm a dick. "
Whoops, my bad. You're not a dick, you're just right.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#43  Edited By AgentJ
@expletive said:
" I thought UP Was very nice in 3D, other than that I kind of agree.     ALSO: 700 POSTS!! "
Yeah, Up was handled well. It showed that 3D didn't have to be a gimmick. 
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TwoOneFive
i got to see the Avatar IMAX 15 minute presentation. I was floored. Its not a gimmick anymore. it feels very natural. everything on the screen has depth like your in the room with the actors. I really do think its the future for movies in general. 
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheGremp

I generally don't like 3D movies, since they're pretty gimmicky, but UP's 3D was very subtle and good looking.  Also, you'd be missing half the movie if you saw Avatar in 2D when it comes out, seeing as the entire movie was built with 3D in mind.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Demyx

not a big fan of 3D to be honest. I just want to see the movie.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TwoOneFive
i think you guys should all check out Avatar in IMAX 3D (or at least digital 3d) when its released then i think it will change your opinions
The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The_Dude
@GreggD said:
" @The_Dude said:
" I've seen a few, I thought Beowulf and Coraline were decent in 3D. "
Yeah, I thought Coraline was good. That's actually the only movie I've seen in 3D. "
Coraline was really well done, it was not IN YOUR FACE with all the 3D. It simply did its job with adding depth to the scene.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#49  Edited By RHCPfan24

Yeah I saw Up and Beowulf in 3D. They both looked pretty good. But I also saw Spy Kids 3D. That was not only a horrible looking movie but one of the worst things I have ever laid my eyes upon.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#50  Edited By Black_Rose

Spy Kids 3D: Game Over. It was a pain in my eye. Completely worthless.