• 89 results
Posted by BeachThunder (11722 posts) 9 months, 7 days ago

Poll: Have you traveled outside the country you were born in? (210 votes)

Yes 89%
No 14%

I seem to hear a lot about Americans that never even leave their home state. But on the other hand, there seems to be a lot of Europeans that drive across countries on a regular basis. Anyway, I'm just curious.

#51 Edited by Everyones_A_Critic (6289 posts) -

Fuck that I saw Turistas and Hostel I know what they're all about.

#52 Posted by EVO (3871 posts) -

Born in Australia, been to New Zealand, Vanuatu, Fiji, Tahiti, Japan, Indonesia, Singapore and the United States.

I can't believe there's people out there that haven't left their home state.

#53 Posted by WarosVenus (12 posts) -

@warosvenus said:

@hunter5024 said:

I think the reason a lot of Americans haven't left their state or their country is because they're really big. My state is comparable in size to many European countries, so if I want to go out of state, it's going to be a pretty pricey adventure. There's plenty of stuff to do in Arizona that I haven't gotten around to yet too. I should probably see the Grand Canyon sometime.

Yup, that's the reason. Except in the north east, our states are pretty freaking big.

I've only been to Canada, which, as someone else said, barely counts.

Yeah the northeast is pretty different. Which is why a law like "No speed limits higher than 55!" seems reasonable to some northeastern drivers, but flabbergasts people in states like mine.

Oh wow. Yeah our highways in my state get up to 75. The part of Route 66 that goes through here I think maxes out at 65, which can sometimes feel really slow, so 55, depending on the type of road, could just be torture.

#54 Edited by mosespippy (4051 posts) -

France is like an hour away by boat and when I was a kid I lived an hour away from the US border. I've been to 13 states and all 10 Canadian provinces.

#55 Posted by Krullban (1024 posts) -

I was born in Germany and moved to Canada when I was 1. So yeah.

#56 Posted by shinjin977 (748 posts) -

Japan, Thailand, Hong Kong, US, Canada, England, Korea, Indonesia and China. I don't remember where I was borne.

#57 Edited by Scrawnto (2435 posts) -

I've been to around 20 US states, and I've gone on a 2400 mile road trip from California -> Oklahoma -> Wisconsin, but I've never left the country.

I don't have anyone to travel with, and it's not exactly cheap to fly over seas, so I haven't bothered to get a passport. I'd like to someday though.

#58 Posted by joshwent (2143 posts) -

@beachthunder Born in the US, still live here, but I've been to Canada twice, Germany, The Czech Republic, France, and Mexico (lived there temporarily). And I hope to see much more of the world as soon as I can.

But despite my luck in being able to travel, what others have said here is all correct. The US enormous, and unless you're going from Maine to Baja California, there's not that much difference in going to another State. Most European countries are comparatively tiny, so even driving from one country to another can be faster than driving to another US State. There are also establishments like Euro-rail, the international train system which exists specifically to make it super cheap and easy to travel, and institutions like the Euro itself which makes going to another country much less of a hassle than it is for a US citizen to go to any of its neighboring countries.

This should all be pretty obvious. For folks in the UK/EU, travel is just far, far easier.

#59 Edited by Slay3r1583 (601 posts) -

Nope, hell I've only spent any significant time in four states. My family just could almost never afford to travel.

#60 Edited by Bismarck (430 posts) -

Born in Bulgaria. I've been to Greece 3 or 4 times, 1 time in Turkey, Egypt, Israel, Hungary, Germany, France, the UK, Belgium, The Czech Republic. I plan on visiting Scotland this year, probably Romania and someday eventually I want to go to Iceland and Canada.

#61 Edited by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

I've been to the US a few times but other then that I haven't left Canada. That being said i've been to pretty much everywhere of interest in Canada between Ontario and the Atlantic. As a student of western history I would absolutely love to visit europe, but I simply don't have the money and don't know when I will.

#62 Posted by Erik (386 posts) -

Born in Norway, have been in (number of times in parentheses); Sweden (double didgits amount of times, can't recall), Denmark (5), Poland (1), Germany (2), France (4), Monaco (4), England (3), Netherlands (1), Luxemburg (1), Belgium (1), Italy (3), Malta (2), Spain (2) and the US (2). Would love to go to Asia sometime though.

#63 Posted by Ben_H (3316 posts) -

No, but I flew over Michigan on the way to Ottawa once. I only suffered two gunshot wounds in the process.

#64 Posted by Dimi3je (299 posts) -

Live in Serbia, been in most parts of Europe. Would very much like to see Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, Japan). Iceland has been on my mind ever since I heard Patrick speak about his time there.

#65 Posted by Veektarius (4642 posts) -

I'm from the US and have been to Canada, the UK, Ireland, Germany & France.

#66 Edited by MB (12073 posts) -

@erik: Which part of Poland did you visit and what did you think about it? I haven't met many other people (especially when it comes to my American friends and colleagues) that have ever been there besides myself. I spent a week in Krakow a couple of years ago.

I loved Poland so much...I pretty much feel the same about most Eastern European cities I've been to. Beautiful architecture, friendly people, amazing food, and cheap beer. Good stuff.

Moderator Online
#67 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

Just once when I was 10/11

It was a school thing, like a summer camp I guess to Shropshire.

Got to live in a mansion thing for 5 days, and do fun activities like.. shoot air rifles, kayaking, um.. yeah it was fun at the time but seems stupid now.

I live in Ireland btw, so having only left once, to England 120 miles away, in almost 25 years seems a bit disappointing.

#68 Edited by Erik (386 posts) -

@mb:

The Poland trip is a part of school where you go to Krakow (spend about 5 days there) and travel to the concentration camp around in Poland and Germany. We also spent some time in Krakow it self and visited the mines there (they are AWESOME), but it was mainly a trip to learn more about the horrors of WWII. We had a survivor with us who told story of the horrors he endured.

When it comes to the country it self, I found anything from Poznan and south to be very nice. We traveled from Sweden to the north coast of Poland, and from there to Krakow things seemed very far and "Cold War"y. Much of the nature was just like taken out of "All ghillied up" in CoD4. Long concrete roads made for tanks and far between the houses. But all in all it was an amazing trip.

#69 Edited by MB (12073 posts) -

@erik:

Yeah, the Wieliczka salt mines, I went there too. I spent most of my time in that country drinking and meeting girls, though. I spent one day seeing the mines, Auschwitz, and Birkenau. When I went to Krakow I hired a private driver to pick us up from the airport, take us to our apartment, and then spend the whole day with us the following day to take us out to the camps and the salt mine. We ate lunch and dinner together and he really gave us a great perspective on the country and its history, along with the best pub crawls and pubs in general in town. He was a graduate student in Economics at the university. Also, Krakow has underground bars...literally. Man, I miss Poland. Maybe one day I'll get to work for CD Projekt RED and move there permanently, or maybe retire there.

Krakow was largely untouched in WWII, unlike Warsaw and other major cities in the north. Ze Germans bombed the shit out of it continuously until it was gone...that city definitely has a STALKER feel to it.

Moderator Online
#70 Posted by subyman (590 posts) -

There are 113,431,943 valid US passports according to http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/stats/stats_890.html

That's about a third of the country, and assuming that everyone who has a passport traveled out of the country, that would mean that about 60-66 percent of the nation hasn't left the US. It's not a generalization; it's fact.

That's a poor assessment since passports are only active for 10 years. I've traveled many places outside the US, but my passport expired a year or so ago and I haven't renewed yet. The story is the same for most of my family since we all renewed around the same time to go on several international vacations.

#71 Posted by darkvare (760 posts) -

i was born in mexico i lived in canada for 3 years went to the usa a couple of times and went to france and spain once

#72 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I'm from Sweden and I've been to Spain and Holland twice and Belgium once.

#73 Posted by 49th (2697 posts) -

I'm from the UK and I've been to quite a few countries. Mostly around Europe, but also USA and South Africa.

I can't comprehend why people never leave their home country, I love travelling to different countries. Hopefully Japan will be next.

#74 Edited by FLStyle (4596 posts) -

Born in the UK - been to Majorca, Menorca, South Africa and Malaysia.

Fun times on all accounts.

#75 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3749 posts) -

England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Spain, and the Bahamas.

I've also been to pretty much every major spot in the US, but that's in my country, so...

#76 Posted by LTSmash (604 posts) -

I'm from the US and have visited (in order of length of stay from longest to shortest): Iran, Turkey, UK, France, and the Netherlands.

#77 Edited by Ramone (2960 posts) -

I'm from the U.K and I've been to France, Spain, Greece and (very briefly) Turkey.

#78 Edited by MrCaptain (364 posts) -

yeah, I have visited a lot of countries, Vietnam and Cuba are the coolest of them i guess.

#79 Edited by MB (12073 posts) -

One thing that people have to keep in mind is that you can drive for 1,500 km or so from Northern California to Southern California, never leaving the state...in Europe if you drove 1,500 km you could possibly pass through a half dozen countries or more. That, and the United States doesn't really have cheap international airfare from the likes of RyanAir and EasyJet like Europe does. Not to mention trains. A lot of it is about geography.

Moderator Online
#80 Posted by Wuddel (2079 posts) -

I am from Germany. I also lived briefly in the US (Bay Area) and now for years in Switzerland. This means that about 4 countries are within a max 3h drive (5 if you count "Lichtenstein"). So its not a big deal. I have been lazy (well too lazy for a poor mans traveling and to poor for a rich mans traveling) and only visited about half of the european countries so far. Portugal, Ireland, Poland and Finland are still on the list.

I really want to travel more in the coming years, I have never really been to Asia. Turkey and Israel do not count ;)

#81 Posted by Gruebacca (506 posts) -

Nope. I've been across the country several times, but never abroad.

#82 Posted by Flappy (2143 posts) -

I live over here in New York, but I've traveled out West and down the East Coast many times over the years. I feel like I've been to Canada on...ten different occasions? Something like that, anyway.

#83 Posted by Patman99 (1559 posts) -

Yes I have. I was born/raised in Canada but I, as most other Canadians, have travelled numerous times to the US. Apart from that, I've travelled to Cuba with my high school, South Africa for field work, and I currently live in the UK to do graduate work.

Most of the places I have gone, aside from the US, have been fairly purposeful (i.e. school/job necessitated me to do so). In other words, I have not really gone on any holidays outside of Canada and the United States.

#84 Posted by soulcake (250 posts) -

When you're born in Belgium its hard not to leave the country because its only 30,528 km2

11,787 sq mi big.

#85 Posted by Pezen (1567 posts) -

Born in Sweden. Been to, in some capacity, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Germany, France, Spain, USA (Seattle) with a brief trip to Canada.

#86 Posted by SpaceJohnson (17 posts) -

I was born in the US and am now an expat in Costa Rica.

#87 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Yes. I am in Switzerland. I've been to:

• USA (as a wee baby boy, so I don't actually recall)
  • Australia (same deal)
  • Some others I don't even know (parents took me on a world trip when I was one year old, when they re-emigrated to Switzerland)
  • Canada
  • UK
  • Netherlands
  • Sweden
  • Denmark
  • Germany
  • Austria
  • Philippines
  • Hong Kong
  • France
  • Belgium
  • Norway
  • Maledives
  • Egypt
  • Italy
  • Spain

I think that's it. Might have missed some. My favorite voyage was a bike trip, from my frontdoor to Mediterranean France. It's a special thing, getting places by your own strength, and really makes apparent how small our planet really is. Guess it's the next best thing to a 30 million rocketride to outer space, when it comes to that. Highly recommended.

#88 Posted by MildMolasses (3214 posts) -

@warosvenus said:

@hunter5024 said:

I think the reason a lot of Americans haven't left their state or their country is because they're really big. My state is comparable in size to many European countries, so if I want to go out of state, it's going to be a pretty pricey adventure. There's plenty of stuff to do in Arizona that I haven't gotten around to yet too. I should probably see the Grand Canyon sometime.

Yup, that's the reason. Except in the north east, our states are pretty freaking big.

Yeah the northeast is pretty different. Which is why a law like "No speed limits higher than 55!" seems reasonable to some northeastern drivers, but flabbergasts people in states like mine.

The Arizona highways that go up to 75 mph are the most horrific things I've ever been on. Especially when you're driving along at night and all of a sudden snow starts blowing across the road (I ended up in Flagstaff which had a record snowfall that year. I had no idea that there were places in Arizona that got snow, but really got to see how elevation changes affect weather when the next morning after driving for 20 minutes and dropping about 4000 ft, I was in Sedona and a whole lot of desert. Though it could have been worse. We tried going to the Grand Canyon but the roads were snowed out. Right after we got to the closed roads, these two girls from California who had never seen snow up close, went driving right into this deep snow and getting their car stuck. Lucky for them, we are helpful Canadians who tried to dig them out. Shortly after, 2 more helpful Canadians happened to drive up and proceed to try digging the girls' car out. Good times)

#89 Posted by falserelic (5334 posts) -

Since I'm from Detroit, Canada is not far away. I've been to Canada afew times, All most died there too once.

#90 Posted by CynicalBuzzard (240 posts) -

I have never left the U.S. but I would like to travel to Europe whenever I get the money to.

#91 Posted by SMTDante89 (2550 posts) -

No, however I have left my home state of West Virginia a few times. I've gone into Virginia a few times since my college is pretty close to the border, and if we have to take a friend home we're practically right there. Not including states I've only passed through, I've also been to Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina and Georgia.

#92 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1224 posts) -

Born in the U.S. went to Europe several times. Nice place.

#93 Edited by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

@smtdante89 said:

No, however I have left my home state of West Virginia a few times. I've gone into Virginia a few times since my college is pretty close to the border, and if we have to take a friend home we're practically right there. Not including states I've only passed through, I've also been to Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina and Georgia.

I'm one of the few that got out and stayed out of WV... But I would go back if I didn't have to worry about money and a crazy ass unfriendly family.

Also, I haven't traveled out of the home country, but I want to though.

#94 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Being Canadian i've been to the states a few times.

#95 Posted by StarvingGamer (8032 posts) -

Yes, when I was six months old to live in America.

#96 Posted by Hunter5024 (5555 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

@warosvenus said:

@hunter5024 said:

The Arizona highways that go up to 75 mph are the most horrific things I've ever been on. Especially when you're driving along at night and all of a sudden snow starts blowing across the road (I ended up in Flagstaff which had a record snowfall that year. I had no idea that there were places in Arizona that got snow, but really got to see how elevation changes affect weather when the next morning after driving for 20 minutes and dropping about 4000 ft, I was in Sedona and a whole lot of desert. Though it could have been worse. We tried going to the Grand Canyon but the roads were snowed out. Right after we got to the closed roads, these two girls from California who had never seen snow up close, went driving right into this deep snow and getting their car stuck. Lucky for them, we are helpful Canadians who tried to dig them out. Shortly after, 2 more helpful Canadians happened to drive up and proceed to try digging the girls' car out. Good times)

80% of the roads in Arizona are made up of hours of nothing with a small town to refill your gas at every once in a while. Anything less than 75 just doesn't make sense under those circumstances. Though if you're driving at night in the snow, I can see how it might seem ridiculous. You were just in the wrong 20% of the state at the wrong time.

#97 Posted by TRSJabber (26 posts) -

I'm an American from California and have traveled to most of the states in the country. I've also been to Mexico, Italy, England, and Ireland and the day after tomorrow, I'm on a plane to Netherlands, then Belgium, then France. I think traveling is important. It helps improve your world view, your opinion of people from other countries (we're all just people, man), and your global cultural education. I also love hearing people speak languages that are foreign to me.

#98 Edited by Monkeyman04 (1015 posts) -

Yes, I'm from Washington state. I once went to northern Canada, which really doesn't count. I will be going to Hawaii in November though, I think that counts more then Canada, even though Hawaii is still considered a part of the US it's not on the continental US. Also I've been out of my sate lots of times thanks to being a hop skip away from Oregon.

#99 Edited by jasbir (107 posts) -

I've been to India and Canada.

#100 Edited by mylifeforAiur (3482 posts) -

Never travelled outside of the state.