• 87 results
#1 Edited by billnyethesciencepie (1335 posts) -

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone else here has heard of and is looking forward to "The Pacific" as i am. 

For those not in the know, its about the Marines who fought in the pacific during world war 2. 

Trailers and featurettes posted FOR GREAT JUSTICE
#2 Edited by Flinty (17 posts) -

Super excited.  
Believe most of it has been done by the people behind the scenes as Band of Brothers including Spielberg and Tom Hanks.  
I think there are already a few early previews out of it and they said it's an improvement over BoB which I think is something in its self. 

#3 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -

It just recently pooped up on my radar, but looks pretty exciting, like BoB and Generation Kill.

#4 Posted by BrendenDonaher (89 posts) -

I am looking forward to it so much. 

#5 Posted by Redbullet685 (6036 posts) -

Really excited for I love ww2 movies and shows including Saving Pvt Ryan and Band of Brothers

#6 Posted by DukesT3 (1912 posts) -

When does it come on? I'm interested. 

#7 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Super excited. 

#8 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

Dood, it's the guys behind Band of Brothers.  Not being psyched for The Pacific should lead to immediate insertion of cacti up anus.

#9 Posted by ALTF4_FOR_COLORS (140 posts) -
@billnyethesciencepie:
 I'm looking forward to it.

@Mrnitropb said:
" It just recently pooped up on my radar, but looks pretty exciting, like BoB and Generation Kill. "
I do not want your radar.
#10 Edited by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -
@Mrnitropb said:

" It just recently pooped up on my radar, but looks pretty exciting, like BoB and Generation Kill. "

Oh Jesus thank you for that typo. As soon as i read it i couldn't stop laughing for a good two to three minutes. I literally started to choke on my own spit and couldn't stop laughing long enough to take in a breath i was laughing so hard.
#11 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

im fucking stoked for this. i loved band of brothers.

#12 Posted by nywt (439 posts) -

I am super excited for it. I loved Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers so I'm sure I will love this too.

#13 Posted by YoThatLimp (1901 posts) -
@crusader8463: @crusader8463 said:
" @Mrnitropb said:

Oh Jesus thank you for that typo. As soon as i read it i couldn't stop laughing for a good two to three minutes. I literally started to choke on my own spit and couldn't stop laughing long enough to take in a breath i was laughing so hard. "
This....is a disturbing image.
#14 Posted by gla55jAw (2688 posts) -

Sunday @ 9. Can't fucking wait.

#15 Posted by Binzno2 (6 posts) -

Actually, I've already seen the first episode and about 45 minutes of preview footage from some of the middle episodes in the series. The president of HBO Mini-Series and the lead writer/producer came to my college to give a special preview screening and Q and A session. I was really, really excited for it, but I have to say, I was let down by it a little bit. I was a huge fan of Band of Brothers, and, while certainly not bad, this really didn't live up to it for me. It didn't set up the characters very well, just kind of showing a few awkward scenes from their lives and then throwing them right into the battle of Guadalcanal. As a result, as the fighting got chaotic, I had no idea who anybody was, and didn't care at all who lived or died. To be fair, it was the first episode, so hopefully they'll build the characters better as the show goes on. Still, in the Q and A session, the HBO executive was talking about how the shooting had unfortunately co-incided with the writers strike, such that there were a lot of problems with the early episodes because the writers weren't able to be on set to make changes. They were locked into scripts that everybody knew had problems. He said it really gets going around episode 5, but in a 10 episode series, episode 5 may be too late.

#16 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Pokemon Heart Gold and The Pacific is going to make this a very good entertainment weekend.

#17 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

Meh. I never finished BoB.

#18 Posted by teh_destroyer (3566 posts) -

I wonder if it would partner with Zune so I can buy these episodes in HD 0.o

#19 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

I don't have HBO. :(

Any other way like Hulu?

#20 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

band of brothers was an amazing show ....this hopefully will be too :)

#21 Posted by mrfizzy (1528 posts) -

1) Its the sequel to Band of Brother (which was FUCKING AWESOME!!!) 
2) My sister is an extra in it (which is also FUCKING AWESOME!!!) 

#22 Posted by evanbrau (1162 posts) -

Really looking forward to this, hopefully its as good as Band of Brothers. Thats an incredibly high watermark to reach though.

#23 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1413 posts) -
@turbomonkey138: Band of Brothers were sick! No we get to hear the story of how our grandfathers smoked those Anime producing 'lovely people'! -edited for content.
#24 Edited by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -

This should be real awesome, other than the writer's strike bullshit. Can't believe that's still fucking stuff up, writers are stuck up lazy bastards for striking like that.

#25 Posted by ProfessorEss (7324 posts) -

Half as good as Band of Brothers would be more than good enough for me.
Man that was so good.

#26 Posted by Meltac (2001 posts) -

Being a big fan of BoB, I am super stoked for this.

#27 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1545 posts) -

Fun little fact concerning Band of Brothers.  

I was at Pep Boys lobby getting something done to my car and some old man came in to get his oil changed. The guys who worked there were asking him a ton of questions about WW2 which I found odd, but figured they must of known the guy.  

It was time for me to check out and the clerk asked if I was military, I said yes, then the old man approached me and gave me his card. His character was depicted in Band of Brothers. I have the card somewhere but right now I can't find it, which is driving me crazy, but it was awesome to meet him. I was shocked too, almost speechless. He was telling stories that are portrayed in the series. It's a completely different feeling when you hear something like that straight from the horses mouth. 

Very cool guy, full of life and fire. I've never felt so humbled.  If I find the card I'll be sure to put in who he was. It was awesome. 

And concerning the new show Pacific - it's about Marines? No thanks.  Just kidding, I can't wait to see it. ;-)

#28 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

Cannot wait for it!
#29 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -
@Out_On_Bail:
Yea, I love meeting WW2, Korean, and Vietnam veterans. I love their stories.
#30 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1545 posts) -
@JoeRiccadonna: Yeah but this was different. I live in a very military influenced city so I talk to vets all the time. I agree it's awesome to hear stories, but this guys story is already known around the world. I've seen the show, but hearing him tell me about stuff from it was just amazing.
#31 Posted by Tireyo (6412 posts) -

The Pacific? Sounds interesting.

#32 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -

History was one of my favourite subjects in school,so i would like to watch that,the problem is i do not have HBO.

#33 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" I don't have HBO. :(  Any other way like Hulu? "
People will upload the episodes on torrent sites no doubt.  10 episodes.
#34 Posted by RTSlord (1200 posts) -

considering its essentially band of brothers in the pacific...YES!!!!!!!
#35 Posted by Downandout (290 posts) -

Super duper excited, been watching band of brothers again to get hyped!

#36 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

I loved Band of Brothers and Generation Kill, so I'm excited.

#37 Posted by Box3ru13 (703 posts) -

Hell yeah I'm excited for it, I rewatched BoB and forget how great that show was. Can't wait for the Pacific, the different setting should provide for a different yet still compelling story.  

#38 Posted by Lambert (404 posts) -

Sorry, guys, but this won't ever live up to the hype. But it will be good, but I guarantee you that there will be a lot of internet raging.

#39 Posted by Bam_D_Leprechaun (795 posts) -

Its gonna be badass, loved Band of Brothers

#40 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

don't have HBO 
[ BIG ASS SAD FACE ]

#41 Posted by theredcoat24 (218 posts) -

I wish I had HBO just so I could watch it

#42 Posted by Horace (139 posts) -
@Binzno2 said:
" Actually, I've already seen the first episode and about 45 minutes of preview footage from some of the middle episodes in the series. The president of HBO Mini-Series and the lead writer/producer came to my college to give a special preview screening and Q and A session. I was really, really excited for it, but I have to say, I was let down by it a little bit. I was a huge fan of Band of Brothers, and, while certainly not bad, this really didn't live up to it for me. It didn't set up the characters very well, just kind of showing a few awkward scenes from their lives and then throwing them right into the battle of Guadalcanal. As a result, as the fighting got chaotic, I had no idea who anybody was, and didn't care at all who lived or died. To be fair, it was the first episode, so hopefully they'll build the characters better as the show goes on. Still, in the Q and A session, the HBO executive was talking about how the shooting had unfortunately co-incided with the writers strike, such that there were a lot of problems with the early episodes because the writers weren't able to be on set to make changes. They were locked into scripts that everybody knew had problems. He said it really gets going around episode 5, but in a 10 episode series, episode 5 may be too late. "
 Even in Band of Brothers, I found that it wasn't until watching the whole series for a second time that I really appreciated the early episodes.  When I first watched them I didn't have a clue who they were.  Maybe it's similar this time around.
#43 Posted by Creamypies (4060 posts) -

For those in the UK (like myself), it's being shown on Sky Movies.

#44 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

Dunno, I don't think it could live up to Band of Brothers, so will probably be a disappointment. 

#45 Posted by EpicSteve (6483 posts) -

I'M FUCKING STOKED! 

But I don't have HBO :(

Anyone have any other avenues of viewing?

#46 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1335 posts) -
@EpicSteve: i believe piratebay.org is your one stop shop for shows and the viewing thereof. 

Illegally
#47 Posted by TravisT (160 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" I'M FUCKING STOKED!   But I don't have HBO :(  Anyone have any other avenues of viewing? "
Legally you could wait for it to be released on Hulu or Youtube. Depending on your Television provider, you could get a new TiVo box and it often comes with a month of two of free HBO; mine does anyways.
#48 Edited by Mikemcn (6982 posts) -

Its by Spielberg and Hanks?

The guys who made one the best WWII movies and one of the best WWII miniseries ever (I suppose there isn't much competition in that category, but still.)? Sounds awesome.

#49 Posted by sandwich_adjustment (685 posts) -

as long as there are boobs i am in!!!!

#50 Posted by natetodamax (19193 posts) -

Can't wait to watch it tonight at 9 PM EST. According to my dad, the critics say the first 2-3 episodes are kinda slow but if you can make it past those it's great.