#1 Posted by dwil83 (61 posts) -

Can someone PLEASE recommend a good pair of headphones for under $150? I've been looking at models for a few days and still can't decide. I need something that sets on top of the ear and only has a cord coming off of one cup. Please help. 

p.s.- no skullcandy

#2 Posted by Empirepaintball (1393 posts) -

Anything by Bose. Those things are beast.
#3 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Sennheisers have never let me down. Listening to a pair of 228HD Sennheisers that I bought for $40 atm, the value for money is staggering.

#4 Posted by MB (12074 posts) -
@Empirepaintball said:
" Anything by Bose. Those things are beast. "
A lot of people say that until they try comparably priced models from Sennheiser, Shure, or Denon. Bose is just better at marketing.
#5 Posted by dwil83 (61 posts) -
@Empirepaintball: Do you maybe have a specific model? Ive heard good and bad things about Bose products.

@Jimi:
 Do those fold?
#6 Edited by kelbear (496 posts) -

Beyerdynamic DT770 (DT770-80 if you can find it, but it's not necessary). I'm sure you can find them for ~$150 or less these days. It's an entry-level product into luxury listening. In general, audiophilia tends to yield less and less bang for buck as you move up the scale because they're catering to a smaller and smaller market.

But you probably don't need to blow $150 depending on what you want to use the headphones for. If it's for gaming, you certainly don't need to spend a ton of money to get a realistic repooduction of...ARTIFICIAL game sounds. The extra money to get realistic reproduction is really for music, so you hear the music the way it's meant to be heard. 

For gaming, you just need speakers/headphones that are good enough that they don't turn into a blurry mess at the volumes you listen at, and are reasonably balanced between bass and treble. (Some people talk about sound-stage, but that's really for music so that you can hear the music the way it's meant to be heard without the distortion of artificial environmental effects being applied to it. For games, the sounds themselves are artificial and the computer is generating it the way it's meant to be heard rather than taking an original signal and distorting it. Thus, for gaming you can get great results by just spending ~$20 bucks on the right product like the Sennheiser HD202:
 http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-202-Intense-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00009QH78/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1280199892&sr=1-2 

They're known for being a great set of $20 headphones that compete/beat gaming headphones costing $100 or more. More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better in this product segment.

#7 Posted by Rehehelly (414 posts) -

Sennheiser PC 350
  Steelseries Siberias v2

#8 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -
@dwil83: No they do not. For that your best bet would be any of the Sennheiser PX models. I haven't ever tried these though so I can't be much help with that :(, I tend to use earphones for travelling and headphones at home.
#9 Posted by Empirepaintball (1393 posts) -
@MB said:
" @Empirepaintball said:
" Anything by Bose. Those things are beast. "
A lot of people say that until they try comparably priced models from Sennheiser, Shure, or Denon. Bose is just better at marketing."

Yeah, I guess, but it's not like I'm blindly devoted to Bose. I've owned earbuds and on-ear headphones from Bose, and they have been good every time.
       http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/on_ear_headphones/index.jsp     

I own a pair of those. They're solid. A little over your budget new, but if you do enough research, you could probably get them for cheaper used/refurbished.
#10 Posted by dwil83 (61 posts) -
@kelbear: I listen to a lot of music, and I'm looking for a pair I'll be able to keep for at least 5 years (maybe ten). My dad had an old pair of pioneers from the 80's he used to DJ with that just broke. I'd been using those and am looking for something of comparable quality.
#11 Posted by dwil83 (61 posts) -
@Jimi: I've been leaning toward the PX 200 II, but I dont really like the look. If I cant find something else it's between those or some Sony Monitors.