Headphone Recommendations

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I currently looking for a new pair of headphones, and am willing to drop about 200$ on a good pair. I'm looking for something that I could wear on a bus/to work but also something that I can still use at home for Music/Movies. I've been looking at a few different types and have found out I would need a "Closed" type headphone, and also something that isn't too big. Everything I have found so far doesn't seem to match both of these criteria.

Just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations on headphones they have used/like that might fit for what I am looking for, any help would be great!

The Headphones I've been looking at so far:

http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/1376/14 - These seemed to be the ones I was going to go with, but then I found out what Open/Closed head phones are, and I don't think these would be good for outside.

http://www.amazon.ca/AKG-K172HD-High-Definition-Headphones/dp/B0028N78IE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1375666940&sr=8-3&keywords=AKG+K550

Thanks!

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I can't recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones enough. It's the first pair of headphones I ever got that just weren't crappy earbuds, and I love them. They are closed as far as I know, comfortable, sound great from what I can tell, and they get very great reviews from what I've seen too. So it's not just my recommendation. Also, they'll only cost you $159.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By rachelepithet

If the reason you need over ear is because on-ear ones are usually open-backed, maybe consider B&W P5's. They don't leak much sound, or let too much in (by no means noise canceling though). They're small, fit snug.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones enough. It's the first pair of headphones I ever got that just weren't crappy earbuds, and I love them. They are closed as far as I know, comfortable, sound great from what I can tell, and they get very great reviews from what I've seen too. So it's not just my recommendation. Also, they'll only cost you $159.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U

how do they fit around the neck when you are now wearing them, they look like they have pretty big cups. Might just be the picture.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By phampire

Whatever headphones you do end picking you should try them out at a local store. Comfort is pretty important!

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By LeYcH

I personally have the ATH-WS99. Closed headphones, comfortable, doesn't leak sound, cancels outside sound.
Bass is deep but not overpowering, I'd say they're perfect for movies etc.
If acoustic and "vocal" songs are more your thing you might wanna check out the ATH-ES700s because while the mids on the WS99 are fine, they are slightly recessed.

I don't know much about headphones but I've heard the folks over at headfi like the Sennheiser Momentums. and of course the ATH M50.
If you do get the M50 though, be aware that the cable is long; the regular cable is coiled and it's 4ft, 9ft uncoiled. The M50s is the straight version and it's 11ft long.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (especially the 32 Ohm Limited Edition if you can find them, they are built for the exact purpose you stated. They have a shorter, straight cable perfect for out and about and are designed for use with a lower power portable device. The regular version will work OK too but these are much better for what you are looking for. They may not be easy to find though). They're closed and not too heavy or bulky. They may not be the prettiest headphones (non-descript black headphones) but they sacrifice looks for better sound quality. I've tried my fair share of closed headphones, and the DT-770 is one of my favourites. I may be biased though because I liked them so much I bought a pair after trying them and some others out.

If not those, then the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 is also a solid choice. I liked what I heard from them. They are reasonably priced and easily available.

And no, open headphones would not be good for outside. Everyone on the bus would hate you with a passion if you wore open-eared headphones on the bus. I have the old version of the headphones you posted (I have the HD555s), and though I love them, I would never wear them anywhere. Way too open, it would be tough to hear anything without cranking my music up a significant amount.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys! Right now I'm debating between

http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375674318&sr=1-1&keywords=Audio+Technica+ATH-M50s

or

http://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375672198&sr=8-1&keywords=Sennheiser+280+Pro which was recommended to me in the thread on Tested I posted. Going to check if any stores near my house might have these so I can try them on before I buy them.

UpsideDownAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UpsideDownAce

I'm going to recommend the M50s over the HD 280s. The rotating earcups on the M50s is awesome when you want to rest them on your neck when you're not listening. The 3.5mm connector is also more robust than the 280s, as is the 1/4 adapter (screw on for the M50s as apposed to just plugging them in on the 280s). In my opinion, the M50s are also more comfortable than the 280s.

Only you can judge which ones sound better to you, so, if you can try them out, do so!

If you do chose to get the M50s, just know that the ATH-M50s model has a SUPER long straight cable, which might make listening on a bus harder. The ATH-M50 model (no "s") has a coiled cable which would probably be more suitable for on-the-go listening.

As an owner of the Audio-Technicas, I cannot be more pleased with these headphones. Highly recommended.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I absolutely love my Sennheiser HD 598s. They sound and look incredible. 5 and a half stars. I got them for $200 but I can't remember if they were on sale or not.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Audiotechnica have been doing really well in the price/performance bracket for a while now.

If anyone suggests here that you buy surround headphones then you take a sharpened 2B pencil, track them down and then stab them in the neck with it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Sooty

Sennheiser, AKG, Audiotechnica, Klipsch, Grados, Goldring are all solid brands. Look into those.

I have HD595s that are 5 years old for home use which are fab, I'd never take them outside as A) they are massive, B) the cord is like 6ft and C) they leak sound like no other. I have AKG-K451s for outside use and they are fucking incredible. (they are closed and don't leak sound much at all)

I also have a pair of Klipsch Image X1s which are in-ears, they were around $40 and I am not joking but they sounded better than the Beats headphones priced between $200-300 that I tested in-store. Seriously. People who pay for those things are beyond help, but that's what you get when a company that tried to trick people into buying $100 HDMI cables start making headphones. (Monster Cable)

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, all of these are decent recommendations instead of the usual crap you see people putting forth. Nice to see some audio junkies in effect.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By artelinarose

I bought the Audio Technica ATH M50s on the recommendation of a bomber about four months ago and OH MY GOSH THESE ARE THE BEST HEADPHONES I HAVE EVER OWNED WOW

I'm a bit of a slut for audio quality but I had been going for gaming headsets before, and I now think that I understand what music is supposed to sound like when I listen to it. They are incredible and I don't think I will ever go back to headsets after this.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use AKG K550 and they're fantastic, but are probably too big for you. Good brand, at any rate.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ravelle

I have Razer's Orca's, they're very comfy and sound great.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mikey87144

Speaking from personal experience the Sennheiser 280 Pros sound great and are very comfortable to wear. That being said the cord is a spiral cord that is long, heavy, and pretty thick. You can wear it outside just fine but the cord becomes annoying just from normal walking.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jeffsekai

So I ended up going with the Sennheiser 280 Pro's, mostly because they are currently 50% off on amazon.ca and looking at both the headphones I wasn't really seeing a huge difference in the two to not just take the one on sale. Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Did not except all this haha.