#1 Posted by RainVillain (480 posts) -

Hoping you guys can help me find a good pair of headphones within the following criteria.

1. Headphone not earbuds.

2. Available in canada.

3. 1$ - 150$ is my price range.

4. Portable enough to wear with my hat.

5. Not too fragile.

I'm a big fan of Sony's MDR-7506, and Shure's SRH 440 (I use both in the studio), but I find these too bulky to pack away with my ipod. I LOVE the look of these Persona 3-esque headphones but they are not available in Canada. I also like the Koss PortaPro but find the strap getting caught on my hair a dealbreaker.

#2 Edited by thevigilanteoflove (503 posts) -
#3 Edited by Keenblaze (469 posts) -

Auvio Retro Stereo headphones, recommended by Whiskey Media's former video producer Ana. Sound quality is decent (for the price and portability), and they look awesome.

Radioshack no longer sells them, but I found a pair on Ebay for $25, which is about half of what I paid.

Also, Abed from Community totally uses them. And they look sort of Persona 4, Yosuke Hanamura-esque, if you ask me. So I recommend them!

#4 Posted by RainVillain (480 posts) -

@thevigilanteoflove: I've heard fantastic stuff about Audio Technica but those are a bit bigger/bulkier than what I had in mind.

@Keenblaze: I like the look of them! But I'd prob want to try a pair out first before buying them.

#5 Posted by chmod (292 posts) -

@thevigilanteoflove said:

The Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones. They are the best pair I've ever had. They are listed for $199 on the website http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/0edf909675b1be4d/, but Amazon sells them for $150 or $159.

@RainVillain said:

@thevigilanteoflove: I've heard fantastic stuff about Audio Technica but those are a bit bigger/bulkier than what I had in mind.

Despite their bulkiness, I just wanted to throw my hat in for the ATH-M50s. I've owned a pair for just over a year now and they're fucking awesome. Great sound quality, very comfortable and a great price for a pair of studio headphones.

That said, if you're looking for something smaller, I've heard great things about the Bose OE2s.

#6 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -
#7 Posted by AlexW00d (6167 posts) -

Sennheiser in the style and size you prefer.

#8 Posted by iBePeRFeCT (396 posts) -

I would totally recommend these. They sound fantastic and are very portable friendly too.

#9 Edited by nbesnerson (32 posts) -

Since Grado's can't be ordered from the US and they're unreasonably more expensive in Canada I ended up getting a pair of Alessandro Music Series Ones which are made by Grado and can be ordered direct from their website.

http://www.gradolabs.com/page_headphones.php

http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php?p=headphones

Research them and see what you think

#10 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4580 posts) -

I've been meaning to look into getting new headphones as well; is there any consensus on good wireless ones, or whether wireless-ness noticeably impacts sound quality?

#11 Posted by Keenblaze (469 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

I've been meaning to look into getting new headphones as well; is there any consensus on good wireless ones, or whether wireless-ness noticeably impacts sound quality?

Tested seems to be against wireless headphones for the most part... you'd probably have to spend a lot more money to get something in comparable quality to wired headphones.

#12 Posted by RainVillain (480 posts) -

@nbesnerson: @iBePeRFeCT: I like Grado but I find a lot of the sound bleeds out the side. This usually isn't an issue but my main use for these headphones would be commuting on the subway. Haven't ruled them out but I'm torn about them because otherwise I know they sound amazing.

@Lunar_Aura: those look hot! and thanks for the amazon.ca link... interesting..

#13 Posted by Voshterkoff (125 posts) -

Do not buy Denon, they have good sound but cheap out on everything else, and they WILL break.

#14 Posted by AmatureIdiot (1060 posts) -

I've had 4 pairs of Sennheiser headphones, all not massively expensive, and all have given great sound and reliability.

#15 Posted by cnlmullen (900 posts) -

I clicked on this topic to recommend the Sony's MDR-7506 (which I use and love -- a lot of bang for your buck), but I looks like you beat me too it.

#16 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

I've been using a pair of Sennheiser HD-280's for the past 2 years and I love them

#17 Edited by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

I got the SOL Republic Tracks HD Headphones after watching the Tested video on the regular Tracks headphones (the HD ones have a deeper bass from what I hear, it's an extra $30). For $130, they're damn fine. Very comfy, sturdy, great quality, but they're not sound-isolating so they might not necessarily be what you're looking for.

#18 Posted by T0mF5 (928 posts) -

I got the Sony MDR-Q68LW a few months ago and it has been working pretty well for me. It has a retractable cord that makes it very portable, but also fragile. I got them for $20, but they are currently around $30.