!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By jkz

This is an opinion piece, and as such, contains my opinions. However, I am not looking to incite a flame war. I am open to intelligent debate, as I still am unsure of a happy medium (Bad Company with less frequent health refills?), but this is not intended to be flame-bait, so do not take it as such. This was taken from my blog.

I was recently playing through Splinter Cell: Double Agent, which continues to be one of my favorites from the series due to a well crafted narrative and some interesting environmental choices. Something I noticed on this play-through that I hadn't before, however, was the regenerating health system and its impact on game-play.

The Call of Duty franchise was another franchise that followed Halo's lead and switched over to a regenerating health mechanic in its sequelNow Splinter Cell was not the only series to make the change from the traditional health bar to a regeneration mechanic. The original Call of Duty, one of my favorite games of recent times, also relied on the traditional magical-first-aid-kit method, which was then scrapped in its successor.

What I fail to understand is why the change was made. Other than the obvious reason that "Halo did it," why would developers feel the need to scrap a mechanic that had worked so well in the past to create tension for the player, in favor of one that encouraged players to sit in a corner sucking their thumbs, waiting for their wounds to heal.

Some have cited realism as a possible reason for the change, but I fail to understand why it is more realistic to assume that nursing ones wounds for several seconds is in any way a more viable means of healing ones wounds than using magical health packs.

Halo was a game about a super-powered, genetically modified, Captain-America esque future warrior, and as such the healing mechanic made perfect sense in its universe. He was not healing his wounds, he was waiting for his shields to recharge. However, for reasons I can't fathom, developers then decided to migrate the same mechanic over to a game where you play the every day soldier, just another fighter in a war much larger than him.

I find mysef wondering, far too often, what the merits are to a system that makes even the most difficult games piss easy. What if Contra had had regenerating health, would it still have been the classic it is today?

What do you think? Was the regenerating health mechanic just the next step in the logical progression of game-evolution, or was it a fad induced by the wildly popular, and yet decidedly mediocre, Halo series?

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I'm a bit sick of it to, but most health systems will be too game-y or otherwise unforgiving.  I remember playing The Getaway and thinking it was really cool how you could lean on a wall and slowly heal, but after a few times it just got annoying.  What really bothered me about it though, was that your blood would vanish as you heal and you would stop limping and dragging your feet.

Most games now decide you either lose vision in some way when injured, or you have a meter of some sorts.  The best implementation I've seen is when a health meter is somehow incorporated on your character or weapon.  Even though I have not played it, Dead Space seemed to have handled this well.  The problem with health meters is that they usually allow items to be acquired which refill the meter.  I find it hard to believe eating food instantly heals anything.  I do like compromises though, such as the Riddick games include.  They have a meter dived into blocks.  You can only "recharge" the current block of health and if you lose a block, you must use a NanoMed station to heal.  When you start involving future tech such as nanomachines, I find quick healing to be more reasonable because it can be possible theoretically.

Strictly for modern, regular dudes with guns though, I think it has to be game-y or unforgiving.  You really just have to decide which one you want because it is either going to go the realistic route or the game route.  You've got your Ghost Recon and you've got your Call of Duty.  I don't see any possible middle ground.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By toowalrus

I hated backtracking looking for health packs. I'm so glad we're mostly done with it.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By RetroIce4
TooWalrus said:
I hated backtracking looking for health packs. I'm so glad we're mostly done with it.
This. I hate looking for health packets and then fucking dieing on the way to health. That means I have to do the hardest part all over again because
I didn't get far enough. The regenerating Health idea is alright in *moderation* Some mess it up and overdo it, by making it to quick or slow.
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I liked the harder games that had you lose health if shot but then also added in the bleeding mechanic where you were forced to bandage yourself up to stay alive (A la Men of Valor).

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By teh_destroyer

I have been playing Mass Effect over the past week on my pc and they have done a good job with the fact that they make you use your health packs wisely. I also like it that you have to hack most health stations in order to receive more health packs to work with, if you fail that hack, then you can kiss those health packs goodbye.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

I don't like recharging health either, I preferred the old health points / health packs / armor system.  It adds another layer to gameplay, and it means I can play like Rambo if I'm good enough (pick up tons of health, fight like crazy, pick up health), as opposed to always popping in and out of cover which is slower paced.  I think modern action games have recharging health because it's far more noob friendly.  No needing to remember where health pickups were, and it rewards going at a slower pace.  "I can just sit here behind cover and be safe, at least for a while..."

It's true that it makes a lot of sense for Halo, they use shields, so it's actually realistic in a way.  But recharging health for a WW2 soldier is even worse than walking over a medikit to get healed!  I'm not sure if truly realistic combat could ever be much fun either.  Shot in the leg?  You can't move and you have to wait a few hours to get helped.  Shot in the head by someone you can't even see?  You're done.

Still, I have mixed feelings, and I don't think any system is really optimal.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

Regenerating Health works in some games and it others it ruins it. In the case of Double Agent it ruined part of the experience because you could run up to an enemy, stab him, and not have to worry if you die or have to low health to continue playing. Health packs make the game much more intense, still they aren't perfect either. Hopefully in the future we will see a more Far Cry 2 like health system (the multiplayer one) where you have to physically heal yourself to get back to full health. You don't have to go hunting for health packs, its more realistic than either of them, and you have to spare a few seconds of sitting behind cover instead of instant health regeneration so you can still die.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jkz
@DarkGamerOO7: That was the example I was trying to remember earlier today. I agree, Far Cry 2 had a REALLY good health system when compared to other games, the sense of urgency that came with patching up, while not having to run back a couple miles to look for a strip of gauz.

Sure, it's not realistic that the bullet comes out and boom your healed, but I think it's the most realistic you can really get while still having an entertaining game.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10  Edited By damnboyadvance

I highly doubt it's just a fad. Hopefully, the idea is used wisely. Some games need it, and some games could live without it. Personally, I prefer it in a lot of games. The magical first aid kit is magical enough, but it's even more magical to find a health pack just lying on the ground. Even so, no game is truly close to reality. But the health points do add a little strategy into the game.

But this isn't really something I notice about it. Like in Medal of Honor Heroes 2, the Campaign and the Arcade modes, I didn't really notice/care about how you got health back.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Diamond

The problem I have with the FC2 system is it makes it too easy to heal up very quickly.  Find any cover and press the heal button as long as you're still carrying those syringe things and you're instantly healed (as long as you weren't in your last bar, where you have to pick a bullet out of your body or something).

If they used the FC2 system but it took you a few seconds to get your health back anyways, I think that'd be better.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax

Not all games are supposed to be realistic or are meant to be like that, which is one of the things people always assume nowadays. Video games are video games, not real life untra realistic simulators of something.