• 63 results
Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -

And I have been here for a few days over a year now. My lust for Giant Bomb(And since then, Whiskey Media), however, began long before that. I will que, December 3rd, 2009. The Joystiq Meta Review changed my life forever. It was here that I peered my hungry little eyes into the comment section. What did I find? What you can find for yourself here

I went, I saw, I was conquered. I had never seen a website in all my life that was both funny and informative. Just saying those words together, the swift sensation of TBS flushed over my entire being. Okay not really but the shit was hilarious and I've never seen something like that before. I was like, okay cool, this website might be special. I didn't know Jeff Gerstmann was behind it(Or even how to spell his name!) until someone mentioned it. I only knew Jeff like I'd imagine most of you do today: The guy who was fired for reviewing Kane and Charles Manson or whatever it was.

It was internet love at first site. No, not for Jeff Gerstmann. I only love him in the most professional way possible without becoming homoerotic or creepy, but we'll save that for one anti-depressant fueled blog post later. I lurked this website and I lurked it haaaaard(Just look at all them fuckin' a's). Of course, during this time, my father was dying of cancer. Safe to say, my life at that point was complete shit. Seeing someone you have spent your entire life with just, degrade, was not a fun process. Thankfully, Giant Bomb was a nice salvation. It was easy to go back two or three pages and catch up on some QL's, maybe even watch the Rogue Warrior QL again.

In fact, to be specific, I was watching the Celebrity Poker quick-look when I received word that my father was living his final moments. It was pretty terrible.

It wasn't until around my birthday that I signed up. I can't remember if I signed up on my birthday or not, but I do remember I subscribed on my birthday. This site was the shit. The community was the best and the worst all at the same time and the moderators didn't suck. It was weird how this site could have existed in any such capacity that I was unaware of it for so long. But I found it. And I found it haaaa-okay enough of that.

I remember I was so surprised when I got my shirt because it had taken so long getting here I completely forgot about it. Then I put it on. Oh my god. It was magical. How funny is it that the best shirt I've ever owned was one I got from this website? It was so soft, so comfortable, so perfect. It's my colors. I wear that shirt when shit is about to go south.  People can see the authority that shirt commands just rippling through my soul. It's perfect.

This shirt has seen a lot of hard times though. It's got a few tiny holes and the logo on both the front and the back are cracked beyond all hell, though still easily recognizable. When I die, I'm taking this thing with me. It's my soulmate. My soulmate is made by American Apparel.

The most peculiar thing I've ever experienced on the internet, however, is the fact that we can fucking swear the shit out of these forums at any given goddamn moment. You don't understand how amazing this is. I went to the forums I used to go to a long time ago and called one of my buddies, JOKINGLY, a stupid idiot-face. And I got a warning. I've called people worse things on this website and, a few days over a year so far, not a single warning. NOTHING. Like, the fuck dude. This place is a haven. Any other website, I would have been banned at least once by now. Or multiple times. Maybe even a dozen. Nope. Not a one.

So far, I haven't found anything bad about this website, except maybe the horrendous hatred people seem to have for Bioware. It's almost comparable to Reddit's supreme hatred for any religion. It's scary. But then again, this isn't a review for this website, so who gives a shit.

It was funny really, how shortly after I signed up, they announced Alex was leaving for New York. It bummed me out a bunch, because that guy is as cool as chrome wheels going 125 miles per hour down route 66. That shit is cool. It was like I was the cause or something. But time goes on, Alex is still here in some regard, and the site is still inspiring. I think if any other website had as dedicated a fanbase as you guys, well, never mind, because no other website DOES have a community so dedicated. So suck on that, commies.

I recently sent in the payment for my second yearly subscription at Whiskey Media, and I would like to extend my hand to not just the community, but the staff as well, for making something smoother and hotter than greased lightning itself, something sweeter than sugar , and more accessible than... a website?(Yeah, I got nothing)

So, no. This isn't as heartwarming as finding the absolute love of my life(Unless comedy counts, I like comedy a lot. I don't want to brag but I think we have something special), so, thanks. Thanks for making this husk of a man find comfort in the confines of virtual space. And thanks for being so tootin awesome :)

Thank you Whiskey Media and co(In this case "co" stands for community!) (That's you!)
#1 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -

And I have been here for a few days over a year now. My lust for Giant Bomb(And since then, Whiskey Media), however, began long before that. I will que, December 3rd, 2009. The Joystiq Meta Review changed my life forever. It was here that I peered my hungry little eyes into the comment section. What did I find? What you can find for yourself here

I went, I saw, I was conquered. I had never seen a website in all my life that was both funny and informative. Just saying those words together, the swift sensation of TBS flushed over my entire being. Okay not really but the shit was hilarious and I've never seen something like that before. I was like, okay cool, this website might be special. I didn't know Jeff Gerstmann was behind it(Or even how to spell his name!) until someone mentioned it. I only knew Jeff like I'd imagine most of you do today: The guy who was fired for reviewing Kane and Charles Manson or whatever it was.

It was internet love at first site. No, not for Jeff Gerstmann. I only love him in the most professional way possible without becoming homoerotic or creepy, but we'll save that for one anti-depressant fueled blog post later. I lurked this website and I lurked it haaaaard(Just look at all them fuckin' a's). Of course, during this time, my father was dying of cancer. Safe to say, my life at that point was complete shit. Seeing someone you have spent your entire life with just, degrade, was not a fun process. Thankfully, Giant Bomb was a nice salvation. It was easy to go back two or three pages and catch up on some QL's, maybe even watch the Rogue Warrior QL again.

In fact, to be specific, I was watching the Celebrity Poker quick-look when I received word that my father was living his final moments. It was pretty terrible.

It wasn't until around my birthday that I signed up. I can't remember if I signed up on my birthday or not, but I do remember I subscribed on my birthday. This site was the shit. The community was the best and the worst all at the same time and the moderators didn't suck. It was weird how this site could have existed in any such capacity that I was unaware of it for so long. But I found it. And I found it haaaa-okay enough of that.

I remember I was so surprised when I got my shirt because it had taken so long getting here I completely forgot about it. Then I put it on. Oh my god. It was magical. How funny is it that the best shirt I've ever owned was one I got from this website? It was so soft, so comfortable, so perfect. It's my colors. I wear that shirt when shit is about to go south.  People can see the authority that shirt commands just rippling through my soul. It's perfect.

This shirt has seen a lot of hard times though. It's got a few tiny holes and the logo on both the front and the back are cracked beyond all hell, though still easily recognizable. When I die, I'm taking this thing with me. It's my soulmate. My soulmate is made by American Apparel.

The most peculiar thing I've ever experienced on the internet, however, is the fact that we can fucking swear the shit out of these forums at any given goddamn moment. You don't understand how amazing this is. I went to the forums I used to go to a long time ago and called one of my buddies, JOKINGLY, a stupid idiot-face. And I got a warning. I've called people worse things on this website and, a few days over a year so far, not a single warning. NOTHING. Like, the fuck dude. This place is a haven. Any other website, I would have been banned at least once by now. Or multiple times. Maybe even a dozen. Nope. Not a one.

So far, I haven't found anything bad about this website, except maybe the horrendous hatred people seem to have for Bioware. It's almost comparable to Reddit's supreme hatred for any religion. It's scary. But then again, this isn't a review for this website, so who gives a shit.

It was funny really, how shortly after I signed up, they announced Alex was leaving for New York. It bummed me out a bunch, because that guy is as cool as chrome wheels going 125 miles per hour down route 66. That shit is cool. It was like I was the cause or something. But time goes on, Alex is still here in some regard, and the site is still inspiring. I think if any other website had as dedicated a fanbase as you guys, well, never mind, because no other website DOES have a community so dedicated. So suck on that, commies.

I recently sent in the payment for my second yearly subscription at Whiskey Media, and I would like to extend my hand to not just the community, but the staff as well, for making something smoother and hotter than greased lightning itself, something sweeter than sugar , and more accessible than... a website?(Yeah, I got nothing)

So, no. This isn't as heartwarming as finding the absolute love of my life(Unless comedy counts, I like comedy a lot. I don't want to brag but I think we have something special), so, thanks. Thanks for making this husk of a man find comfort in the confines of virtual space. And thanks for being so tootin awesome :)

Thank you Whiskey Media and co(In this case "co" stands for community!) (That's you!)
#2 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

I found and joined this site roughly two years ago, shortly after my father passed. I was busy for the rest of that year (senior year of high school), but by the end of 2010 I was posting like mad, Santa-Hatting up my avatar, and listening intently to Minerva's Den vs. Lair of the Shadow Broker. I've never turned back since.

Glad we've all helped to make this a home, for all of us.

#3 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

It works both ways around here, the community at times (seems to) hate each other but never to a level that it grows childish or plain silly like other sites.
We all got our own thoughts and opinions here and most of us are very accepting and open to listen to other people and their views.

That, plus the superb content by the staff, makes for one heck of a good website.

@Little_Socrates said:

Glad we've all helped to make this a home, for all of us.

Couldn't have said it better.
#4 Posted by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -
@N7 said:
One of the main reasons I spend so much time on the forums here.
#5 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -
@Little_Socrates: That's actually kind of crazy. We were in an eerily similar situation.

@TaliciaDragonsong: Indeed. That said, it correlates to how great the moderators usually are about things. They aren't jerks. The put the smackdown on people and threads that deserve it. So fires are usually doused before any crazy shit starts going. Everything flows so well here.

@ajamafalous: Indeed. It's hard to go to another forum because swearing is so natural. You can drop a dozen F-bombs in a New York Minute, no sweat.

Giant Bomb: Home to the homeless.
#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@N7: Aye!
Was leaning more towards people just being bad sports or too untrusting of new views/opinions then real nonsense, there's barely any of that around here!
I wouldn't say one big happy family, but circle of likeminded people would be about right.
#7 Posted by Demoskinos (13853 posts) -

@N7 *fist bump* GLHB!

#8 Posted by CornBREDX (4456 posts) -

I agree. This is a wonderful site and its fun to hang out here when I'm at work- reading the forums, responding to stuff, watching videos when I can, listening to the podcast, etc

#9 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9738 posts) -

Hey, you've been a great part of the community. Keep up the good work? I dunno what to say, really.

#10 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4282 posts) -

@N7: I like you.

#11 Posted by myketuna (1631 posts) -

I fucking love the shit out of this place. (I also love the lax view on swearing/cussing/badwording)

I came here because I had been a huge fan of Jeff and crew on Gamespot before the whole Kane and Lynch thing. This site just feels like an extension and evolution of Gamespot during those halcyon days.

#12 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong: That's a funny and somewhat accurate way to phrase it. "Giant Bomb. We may not be one giant happy family, but we play video games. So there's that..." @Demoskinos: GLHBBB@CornBREDX: INDEED. This site is, dare I say, The Bomb.
#13 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

Around the same time Jeff got fired from Gamespot, my wife's health was getting worse and I had to quit my job to become her caregiver. I also wanted to help keep her career going as a Mental Health Therapist. She works part-time at her very small private practice.

It was wild following Jeff's blog, watching his fellow Gamespot dudes drop like flies and then the creation of the Giant Bomb blog. 

I'm happy to be here. I'm glad to have met you Ryan. Now only if my sometimes bad behavior doesn't get me in too much trouble. 

#14 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

Been on this website pretty much since it existed, and I can't think of any other website with content/stuff/community that comes even close to it.

@N7: Your a righteous duder.

#15 Posted by ShaggE (5982 posts) -

As sarcastic and negative as I can sometimes be, at the end of the day, I goddamn love this site and its forums (even when I'm trying to disprove Vinny's existence).

#16 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -
@Oldirtybearon: You're a pretty cool dude yourself, KingWilly.

@ShaggE: Yeah, that's kind of the same issue with me. I really can't pass up the opportunity to be a huge assface, but sometimes I know it's in completely bad taste and I just look like a jerk. I like this site too much to be banned on a bad joke of all things. If I'm going out, I'm going out on the funniest and most offensive joke I can storm up.

@Claude: I can only imagine how psycho circus it must have been to see Gamespot change so drastically in such a short period of time. These guys have been together for too long, they aren't about to give up just yet.

Also glad to hear things are still going well. It's actually funny(Not really, more like horrifyingly sad), that my mom was always the one who was sick. All the time. Cancer this, cancer that. She was told she had 30 days to live a couple of years ago, yet here she still is. Meanwhile, my dad, who was never sick a day in his life just got riddled with cancer one day. Life is kind of bad sometimes.

You're quite the boss yourself, Claude.

@Mr_Skeleton: My righteous duder what? Nah, JK. Your the man, brother.

@myketuna: Whenever I used to go to Gamespot, I would never notice anything about their staff. So it's weird that these guys were so popular back then. I guess now they are GUARANTEED the exposure they deserve. Most of the people that join, join because they rock so hard.
#17 Edited by Chop (1963 posts) -

Dawww

I feel all gooey and warm. Now I'm hungry.

#18 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -

Cunt Shit Cock Motherfucker Dick Ass Bitch Bastard Tits

#19 Posted by rawrsair (817 posts) -

Gotta' say I love this site too, and every member I've met (bar one or two) has been lovely.

#20 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -
@W0lfbl1tzers said:

Cunt Shit Cock Motherfucker Dick Ass Bitch Bastard Tits

W0lfbl1tzers, ladies and gentlemen. Or should I say GEORGE CARLIN!?
#21 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

No problem. Good to see that Jack Black uses the site...oh wait.

Joking aside, my father passed away late last year. I know what you're going/went through in terms of general emotions. Still, it's devastating. I hope to keep seeing you on the site, though!

#22 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -

I love the Whiskey Media family but it could use more leopards, I think.

#23 Posted by DarkShaper (1296 posts) -

Based on the people who have posted here already I fell like my post count is to low to comment here. Also, FUCK!

#24 Posted by Vestigial_Man (308 posts) -

I've signed up about a year ago too... how on earth did you post so much in that time?

#25 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3667 posts) -

Hey Ryan. I loved reading the whole part about getting your shirt.

#26 Posted by UnrealDP (1217 posts) -

I was always part of this smaller community centered around these four guys that just played video games all night. Every night of the week they'd be at it and I'd slowly fall in love with watching long video of people playing games, but they'd always bring up this site called "Giant Bomb" which I always thought was just some lesser site, not worth my attention at all. One day on the livestream everyone was talking about this Rogue Warrior video and Giant Bomb and I thought I would just check out this video, basically just humoring other members of the community. Now I'm kinda just stuck here and I haven't really left this since.

#27 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -
@Vestigial_Man: Well, I spent a good majority of 2011 in a hotel room, being homeless, and staying with family. Safe to say, I had a loooooooooooooooooooooooot of free time. You should check Comic Vine if you want to see nuttisticular post counts.

@DarkShaper: With Whiskey Media, every voice is heard, my brother. Once upon a time I had just as little posts as you. Don't be intimidated, we're family.

@huntad: Good god, 2011 was a terrible year for losing fathers. The hell? Like 13 people on this site lost a dad last year. It's horrible. :(
I'd like to think I'm funnier than Jack Black. Then again, I'd like to think a lot of things. I'll be here, for as long as Jeff Gerstmann doesn't review any games poorly whose studio has invested money into and starting American All Stars: Video Game Edition.

@MariachiMacabre: Dude seriously. I'm suffering from severe sleep deprivation. Leopards would KILL me right now. I mean, I don't have a fatal case of cat scratch fever, so keep Ted Nugent off my emergency contact list.
#28 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -

I've been a duder for about two years now and I don't want to get all sappy but I have never been apart of a community of like minded people like you guys before and it brings me great pleasure to see at the end of the we still like to think of each other like friends.

#29 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -

What a fag. :)

#30 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -
@UnrealDP: I guess you can say, your penetration was so unreal, that you're stuck down the rabbit hole.

@DEMONOLOGY_24: You're not my friend... You're my brother. :)

@Enigma777: I yam what I yam.
#31 Posted by Breadfan (6586 posts) -
#32 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -
@Breadfan: I like you because every time I read your name I think of this

I wonder why...
#33 Posted by Tireyo (6382 posts) -

It's official... all us Giant bomb members are mentally ill and closely knit.

#34 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -

"It's a cool site duder" would be the point of this blog, wouldn't it? If yes, then i agree.

#35 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -

Well as long as we agree on this. Also, nice headset.

#36 Edited by SSully (4059 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@N7 said:
One of the main reasons I spend so much time on the forums here.

It actually took awhile for me to adjust. I have been warned and banned on gamespot multiple times mainly because I would drop a fuck or two in a heated argument. Then when I saw that anything basically goes here it was a great surprise.

So yeah, giantbomb is pretty fucking awesome, you bitch.

I just realized your avatar is a Hitler picachu? Thing? I don't know, but its a little Hitler, and I got a laugh.

#37 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -

@N7: that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me

#38 Posted by myketuna (1631 posts) -

@N7 said:

@myketuna: Whenever I used to go to Gamespot, I would never notice anything about their staff. So it's weird that these guys were so popular back then. I guess now they are GUARANTEED the exposure they deserve. Most of the people that join, join because they rock so hard.

I got into GS about late '05 (which was about 7 years ago (!)) after looking for other podcasts to listen to besides the 1UP assortment. Once I was hooked, I started watching On the Spot every week (kinda like Happy Hour). The rest is history.

Even back then, I (along with others I'm sure) joined the site Jeff and crew were rocking because they rock so hard.

#39 Posted by UnrealDP (1217 posts) -

@N7 said:

@UnrealDP: I guess you can say, your penetration was so unreal, that you're stuck down the rabbit hole.

@N7: Too true and the upside to doing it double is getting another set of, uh, hands to help.

#40 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4494 posts) -

Talk dirty to me.

#41 Posted by Vexxan (4598 posts) -

Ain't no shirts like Whiskey Media shirts, they truly are the best.

#42 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2712 posts) -

GIMME A FUCK YEAH

#43 Edited by Yummylee (20571 posts) -

I hope I can be as cool as you N7 when I grow up.

EDIT:... hmmm, that kinda sounds like I'm trying to be condescending reading it to myself >_>... I totally am btw.

Ho-HO!!!!!! But seriously folks, N7s a pretty cool guy. eh kills Uncharted pirates and doesnt afraid of anytin.

EDIT2: Also truly sorry about your dad. Mine died of cancer too, but I barely knew him (left me mum when I was I think 4... only saw him occasionally across the years, and he died when I was 11) so I honestly can't quite say I can relate.

#44 Edited by MikeFightNight (1048 posts) -

I had known about the Gamespot podcast for around half a year or so before the guys came and founded GB. The only reason I went to Gamespot was for the entertaining podcast, so when all the entertaining guys left and came here, so did I. Joined the minuet they allowed user accounts. Anyone remember Jeff's blog, before GB came into 'beta'? POINTS, right? hahahah... I don't post as much as others, but I love the community and the content all the same.

*group fucking hug!*... wait, they may have come out wrong...

#45 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

@N7: It is a bit eerie. If we had one more, we could have a coven! A supremely depressing coven.

#46 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

Are you sure you're not Jack Black?

#47 Posted by bio595 (307 posts) -

@N7

I've been here about two years, its been pretty awesome the whole time =)

#48 Posted by PillClinton (3284 posts) -

I enjoyed reading this post and I also adore this website.

#49 Posted by JoMate (241 posts) -

@N7:

Nice post I am loving whiskey as well, but I just have to ask are you wearing a dark spiderman suit on that picture?

#50 Posted by RetroVirus (1405 posts) -

In the relatively short time I've been a member, this site has been awesome. The forums, podcast, and videos are all great, and almost everyone here is awesome.