#1 Posted by CyborgDuo (105 posts) -

I could probably write pages on this topic. For everyone's sake, though, I'll keep it brief.

I don't have fun anymore. Whether it's playing games, hanging out with people, or even watching a funny movie, I don't laugh or smile. Most of the time I just want to move on to the next thing. I've got several projects to keep me busy, but in my everyday life I'm left unsatisfied and sad.

A lot of this stems from the fact that I'm lonely. However, even with people, I often feel depressed, and I don't feel compelled to do anything since nothing offers any reward.

Do you guys have any suggestion? Even games that you've felt captivated and had a ton of fun with recently would be helpful. I'm just so weary of being this way.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -

I'm holding your joy hostage. Meet me behind the pier at 2 AM. Bring $20,000 in unmarked bills.

#3 Edited by Farley_Lives (278 posts) -

I was having similar feelings lately as well. I went to a therapist who explained to me I was experiencing a case of heavy Depression / Anxiety, he also explained that it was quite common. My suggestion is you go see someone, just so you can talk to somebody about it. I can't speak for everyone, but it helped me quite a bit. Just don't turn to self medication, that's a dangerous path.

#4 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Try something that you haven't done before. If your current hobbies and activities are boring you maybe you just need to mix it up. And if depression continues to be an issue maybe you should talk to someone about it. Doesn't even have to be a therapist if that's not your thing. Just talk it out with a good buddy, but I highly suggest going to a professional.

As far as games go, I'm currently captivated by Civilization V and Starcraft 2, but I've been enjoying pc strategy games much more lately than anything else.

#5 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

I'm holding your joy hostage. Meet me behind the pier at 2 AM. Bring $20,000 in unmarked bills.

What does a king need 20K dollars for? 
#6 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

I think it's just the fact that everything is getting worse.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Video_Game_King said:

I need a giant pile of money to have sex with. It's the only way I get off now. Don't you dare judge me!

#8 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4480 posts) -

Sounds like some pretty standard depression, go to a doctor and get that shit sorted out bro. Good luck.

#9 Posted by kerse (2037 posts) -

Not enjoying things you once did is a symptom of depression, also you don't have to be sad to have it. I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

#10 Posted by aquamarin (553 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

I think it's just the fact that everything is getting worse.

Yeah stuff does suck more.

#11 Posted by Irvandus (2643 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Video_Game_King said:

I need a giant pile of money to have sex with. It's the only way I get off now. Don't you dare judge me!

You may be King but you can not deny our right to judge!

#12 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

It might be chemical. Exercise, eat right, get sunshine, for starters. Maybe consult a physician.

If that doesn't help, then it's time for a new direction, I guess.

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Video_Game_King said:

*laughs*

#14 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -

You're depressed. Get help.

#15 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Talk to some professionals. No video game is going to fix your loneliness.

#16 Posted by Intro (1191 posts) -

Same here OP. I usually smoke marijuana and feel better about life, although it's only a temporary solution and then I need more. I'm currently waiting for my parents to die so I can kill myself afterwards (don't want them to feel bad). So I'm just going with the flow until then. Others say go to the doctor, but the best outcome if I did that would be putting me on what could be dangerous anti-depressants. Then even when I'm on those, I'll still be lonely and possibly still depressed.

Only thing I could recommend would be to set an important goal for your life and work hard for it, while hoping you start to feel better.

#17 Posted by Korwin (2721 posts) -
#18 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@CyborgDuo: The only thing I can sugguest in this situation is to NOT play Fragile Dreams! At all... you will get even more depressed man. Just warning you!

#19 Posted by EVO (3780 posts) -

Travel.

#20 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6375 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Video_Game_King said:

If you're into money fetishes, you should visit my new website: www.giantassholes.com. We have a weekly video feature and an enitre forum dedicated to various fetishes including money.

#21 Posted by Irvandus (2643 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Irvandus said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Video_Game_King said:

*laughs*

No I will not suffer a terrible fa-

#22 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

Talk to people and be more active. Don't bottle this stuff up or it'll fuck you up.

#23 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

sounds like you need professional help

#24 Posted by Juicebox (485 posts) -

@CyborgDuo:

You have depression, that qualifies you for a Medical Marijuana card.

Smoke weed, it'll make you happy and bring back that joy you once had. No it doesn't make you stupid. That's just a stereotype.

Do it. With a card you can literally go to a weed store and buy lots of cheap weed.

#25 Posted by astrodoggy (145 posts) -

While I don't disagree with the idea of seeking professional help, I don't think that's always the best solution. Here's a couple questions:

1) Have you confided in someone you look up to about this? (talking to just anyone may leave you feeling confused and worse off, at least it did for me when I went through something similar; even if the anyone is a professional)

2) Have you ever tried some form of daily meditation? Even if its just a few minutes a day, reflecting on life and who you are for a small time each day without distractions often helps one find their own answers.

3) If you can muster up the will to surprise yourself in some way (i.e. doing something you normally would NEVER do) you may be able to get out of your head, if just for a time, which is always a good thing.

I don't know you and I'm not a professional, but these are things that really helped me a lot through something very similar... Good luck dude.

#26 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

It does sound a lot like depression, go to a doctor duder.

#27 Posted by PeezMachine (209 posts) -

As many folks have pointed out here, you're pretty much listing symptoms of Clinical Depression. Don't worry, though, it ain't no thang, but do seek some professional help with that. Most employers have services available through their healthcare, so hop on that!

#28 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (2950 posts) -

@CyborgDuo: I'm a pretty depressed person when you get right down to it, and my recommendation? Just think of something you wanna do, and if it's not illegal, do it. Wanna try to work on your art even if you're terrible? Get on that. Wanna dance? Learn, or just flail wildly. Sing, write, run, exercise, learn to box, go find some embarrassingly bad fanfiction and spend a few hours reading it with a big dumb grin on your face! Watch a movie or two or five, get in an argument on a forum, carve yourself a sweet-ass souvenir out of wood if you feel like being old fashioned about it. Dig into your fridge and experiment with food, make a mess, clean it up, reorganize your furniture, throw out all the things you don't want or like anymore.

The world is full of weird things to do, and you might just need to find the right dumb guilty pleasure for the evening. Never be afraid to indulge a bit.

#29 Edited by Chop (1962 posts) -

Do what I do.

Continue to spend all your money on hobbies that don't do anything but bore you now. Then, spend the days when you aren't working just sleeping or just laying around waiting for the day to end.

Hey, it works for me. /depressing post

#30 Edited by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Video_Game_King said:

He's going to sex about $120 worth then use the remainder to attempt to cure the horrible, horrible infection he gets. Godspeed, King.

#31 Posted by Jeust (10334 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Talk to people and be more active. Don't bottle this stuff up or it'll fuck you up.

This. Take a hobbie that puts you in contact with other people, like dancing or Reiki. It really helped for me.

#32 Posted by ch3burashka (4902 posts) -

@CyborgDuo: Yo dawg, go find yourself a psychiatrist. No a psychologist, because they can't get you pills.

If you don't want to lie on a couch and free associate while high on psych drugs, I suggest exercise. More specifically, get yourself a copy of "Spark" by John Ratey. It basically outlines the effects of exercise on the brain, a great portion of which deals with depression and motivation. I started exercising after reading it (after a long lull) and immediately felt the effects, which can be attributed to a placebo-esque effect of finding what you were expecting, but hey, I'm not complaining. Long story short - exercise makes you feel better about yourself, makes you more motivated, helps you make better decisions, does the whole brain chemistry thing of making you physically feel better, will help with your reward issue by being a reward in itself, etc.

Also, join a club, either intellectual like a book club, or better yet, a running club. Ratey also recommends exercising in groups both for social benefit and peer pressure to perform better for longer.

PS Totally get that book. Plenty of people I know who were depressed got better due to its life lessons. Not fully healed, mind you, but on the right track, which should be motivation enough.

PSS Get that fucking book, motherfucker.

PSSS Totally not getting paid by Ratey for this one.

#33 Posted by ch3burashka (4902 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Video_Game_King said:

If you're into money fetishes, you should visit my new website: www.giantassholes.com. We have a weekly video feature and an enitre forum dedicated to various fetishes including money.

I'm pretty sure www.giantassholes.com specializes in, well, giant asshole fetishes, not fiat currency.

#34 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -
Sometimes all you need is a change.
#35 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19155 posts) -

@CH3BURASHKA said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

I'm pretty sure www.giantassholes.com specializes in, well, giant asshole fetishes, not fiat currency.

I prefer giantasshole.com

#36 Posted by Diakiha (17 posts) -

You may need a trip to feel the nature world. To help someone who is in troube can be good choice as well.

#37 Posted by Meltac (1901 posts) -

Maybe you should try start making meth? 

#38 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I was pretty depressed earlier this year, then my future got a better outlook and things changed.
Still I felt pretty fucked up about a lot of things so I took steps.

Is there anything you want to do? A secret love? A hidden desire? Do you want to travel? Collect stamps? Just do it, go for it!
I took my chances and while chances bring on new problems I am glad that I took the chance and stopped bottling it up.

Just take a moment to write down what you want to do/achieve, and then make it happen.

#39 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Here, you can have mi-..oh wait :(

#40 Edited by CookieMonster (2408 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

It might be chemical. Exercise, eat right, get sunshine, for starters. Maybe consult a physician.

Most sound bit of advice in this thread. Listen to this man

This is shit you should talk to a doctor or someone your close to with. A video game forum/The Internet isn't the best place for this kind of help.

Shit, you've even got people in this thread that aren't even doctors diagnosing you with depression, after reading only a couple of sentences as well. Don't listen to these people.

#41 Posted by billyhoush (1187 posts) -

@EVO said:

Travel.

This. Go on a vacation, drive across the country, or move somewhere else. While you can't always runaway from your problems, a change in scenery can me a change in luck and at the very least cure boredom.

#42 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4669 posts) -

Get a girlfriend. Seriously.

#43 Posted by Village_Guy (2405 posts) -

Huh, I know how you feel, either go see a professional and find out whether you're depressed or not, or do something to break the normal pace of the day. Going on vacation or traveling should do the trick, when you come back you might feel a whole lot better.

#44 Posted by Seppli (9737 posts) -
#45 Posted by Shindiggah (350 posts) -

Stick to the 3 B's and you will always be happy.

Booze

BBQ

Bitches.