Help Me Get Over My Windows 7 RC Fears!

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Systech

I'm not quite as concerned that it could harm my computer, because the chances are that it won't. The cause of my reluctance to download the RC is pretty much this:

What happens if I don't want it anymore or when the time is up? I don't have any Windows Vista install discs, but I have the "Operating System: Already Installed On Your Computer" disc that came with my Dell computer. If I have Windows 7 and I slide that disc in there, will it go through a Vista reinstallation? Also, will my Documents and programs stick around?

As you see, I'm not very PC tech-friendly so any piece of mind would be extremely welcome.

My current OS is Vista Home Premium 32-Bit.

CrimsonSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By CrimsonSnake

get a mac. lol

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo

Get over them. Shazam!

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Systech
CrimsonSnake said:
"get a mac. lol"
Because I totally asked that question, right?
Hammerface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hammerface

Upgrade to XP instead

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r
systech said:
"As you see, I'm not very PC tech-friendly"
Stick with your current OS then, why fiddle with things you aren't entirely sure of how they work? No, you probably couldn't keep your documents or programs unless you make backups but even that sounds beyond you since you ask that.

Stick with learning how stuff works and in a year from now you'll be an expert, using multiple partitions and probably multiple OS you format every 6 months or something along those lines. Don't worry about a new OS at this point.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64
Hammerface said:
"Upgrade to XP instead"
That's downgrading, not upgrading.
timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By timay
Al3xand3r said:
"systech said:
Stick with your current OS then, why fiddle with things you aren't entirely sure of how they work? No, you probably couldn't keep your documents or programs unless you make backups but even that sounds beyond you since you ask that."

Like he said stay with vista. The RC of Windows 7 will not let you upgrade to the release version when it comes out.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Systech
Al3xand3r said:
"systech said:
Stick with your current OS then, why fiddle with things you aren't entirely sure of how they work? No, you probably couldn't keep your documents or programs unless you make backups but even that sounds beyond you since you ask that."
Well, I have never installed an OS. That's more or less what I mean. I am knowledgeable enough to get Windows 7 going. I really just want to know how I will get Vista back.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Ben_H

Is there a program that will allow you to make recovery disks or do you have a recovery partition on your harddrive?  Just back up your files onto a DVD or separate hard drive if you are worried.

I have Windows 7 RC and it was easy to install and I didn't lose anything.  It upgrades over Vista and is compatible with almost everything (except Daemon Tools).

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By m1k3

I've had windows 7 as my main OS since they let the public into beta. My only problem is that the RC is not as laptop friendly as the beta. I usually watch anime with my laptop connected to my HDMI monitor with no dual screen extended desktop thing. but once i open the lid, it automatically switches to extended desktop mode which really bugs me. In the beta, i can open and close the lid on my laptop all i want, and it wont switch (the display will stay on my monitor).

But other than that, im sure windows 7 should just about be coming out by the time the RC ends.