• 53 results
#1 Posted by Stepside (508 posts) -

Sup fellas, I'm literally just now getting into classic rock. After being into underground music for so many years I've cornered myself into a few specific genres (Drum n Bass/Trip Hop/Punk/Jazz mostly). Of course I know some Zepplin/Pink Floyd/Beatles tracks here and there, but I'm looking for some help with some new (old) tunes. To give you an idea, the shit I'm starting to dig is stuff like Steve Miller Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Queen.

Any good tracks/albums you guys recommend?

#2 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

He was pretty great after he left the Nation of Domination, although I'd argue his heel-turn later in his career after fighting Hogan was when he did his best work; his interactions with Hurricane and his little concert were GREAT!

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13130 posts) -
#4 Posted by Kedi2 (242 posts) -

Boston's first album is great.

#5 Posted by Brians (1455 posts) -

CCR?

#6 Edited by Blackout62 (1325 posts) -

See that strange old Englishman in the peculiar coat, know him and his work well.

#7 Edited by RandomBullet (55 posts) -

I'd highly recommend trying out some Jimi Hendrix if you haven't already; great classic rock while leaning heavily towards blues/psychedelic/funk. Try out a track called "Machine Gun"; it's a 12-minute piece and a wholesome demonstration of what Hendrix is about. If you like that track, then you'll definitely dig his other stuff. Albums to get started on: 'Are You Experienced', "Band of Gypsys", "Blues".

#8 Edited by Spoonman671 (4527 posts) -

David Bowie is a swell fellow.

What do coffee and Eric Clapton have in common?  They both suck without Cream

I don't think Steppenwolf has a lot of great songs, but this is one.

This is the only Mountain song you need to listen to.

I'll probably be back with more.
#9 Edited by OldGuy (1492 posts) -

Frank Zappa - apostrophe(')
(...the title track is super for Audio Surf, BTW):

#10 Posted by Etaber (160 posts) -

I agree with everything that's been said so far. I've always been partial to Bad Company as well.

And I agree Queen is an absolutely epic band. Listen to this song and tell me you don't feel like a million bucks. Freddie really was something special.

And as a bonus the greatest band that never was.

#11 Edited by InfiniteSpark (296 posts) -

I'll recommend some albums.

• The Doors - The Doors
  • MC5 - Kick Out the Jams
  • The Who - Who's Next
  • Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
  • T.Rex - Electric Warrior
#12 Posted by HistoryInRust (6268 posts) -

@OldGuy said:

Frank Zappa - apostrophe(')
(...the title track is super for Audio Surf, BTW):

This is an excellent suggestion.

Early Aerosmith is fun. I'd take a look at more Southern Rock too, if you're willing. The Outlaws, the Allman Brothers, Derek Trucks, that sort of thing.

#13 Edited by believer258 (11564 posts) -

Van Halen, Boston, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Queen, Guns N' Roses (at least their first one), The Who, Journey, and of course AC/DC

Well, at least those are the ones you should probably start with.

EDIT: Bon Jovi (Slippery When Wet, mostly)

#14 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5135 posts) -

Aside from what was said before try Electric Light Orchestra.

#15 Posted by Surkov (991 posts) -

King Crimson

#16 Posted by Stonyman65 (2570 posts) -

Boston

Kansas

Journey

Blue Oyster Cult

AC/DC

Frank Zappa

Pink Floyd

Queen

The Doors

The Who

Bad Company

and JIMI fuckin' HENDRIX!

#17 Posted by Clinkz (1118 posts) -

Springsteen.

It's strange, I was really into classic rock a few years ago. Now I only seek current bands because I love live music... I guess I'm a hipster. Well I guess that's not true, I got into U2 and Oasis (first two albums) recently.

#18 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5797 posts) -
#19 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

Nirvana and Soundgarden are pretty good.

#20 Posted by SSully (4118 posts) -

The Who's Tommy and Quadrophina are pretty damn fantastic. Quadrophinia is easily one of the best rock albums ever made, and the final song just brings it all home.

#21 Posted by OroJackson (680 posts) -

Deep Purple, especially Machine Head.

#22 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@Stepside:

Turn it up, listen, and be afraid.

#23 Posted by Stepside (508 posts) -

Some great shit there guys, thanks :)

#24 Posted by BUCK3TM4N (549 posts) -

Rainbow and King Crimson

#25 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6151 posts) -

King Crimson.

#26 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Um how about Alice Cooper or Blue Oyster Cult?

#27 Edited by oldjack327 (131 posts) -

Classic Rock is kind of a huge "genre" because its defined more by time than by any distinct musical link. You get punk, glam rock, hard rock, arena rock, psychedelia, power pop, bubble gum, progressive... yeah. It's probably best to just keep trying different artists until you find something you like.

I'm a big fan of Chuck Berry (that might classify as oldies, but who cares). By taking blues chord progression and playing it in eighth notes as opposed to a shuffle beat, Berry essentially made rock and roll. Plus, Johnny B. Goode just fucking rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ofD9t_sULM

Along those same lines, AC/DC is a great blues, hard rock group. Their earlier work they did when original singer Bon Scott was still alive is my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv24N8H1KyI

The Kinks are amazing and under appreciated, and they have a crazy diverse library, with their earlier stuff sounding very garagey/punk, and their later stuff going blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk3Ei_yoI4c

Warren Zevon is another amazing under appreciated artist from the 70s. A great song writer with a macabre sense of humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgyMUChgcbU

In a completely different side of classic rock, ELO was producing crazy synth rock with bits of psychedelia and prog rock thrown in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjPqsDU0j2I

Probably one of the best bubble gum rock bands from the 60s was The Lovin' Spoonful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1_8909dNJ0

Days of Future Past by the Moody Blues in arguably one of the greatest albums ever made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lazdg-eqmQ

And Neil Young's solo career is too hit laden to even be able to give it credit, but here's my favorite "After the Gold Rush"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e3m_T-NMOs

Anyway, I could go on forever, so I should probably stop now. And if you want a good conventional "classic rock" group, then look up The Who. Their stuff in the 70s was quite good.

#28 Posted by Dalai (6980 posts) -

Nobody mentioned Rush yet so listen to some Rush. 

#29 Posted by SamFo (1513 posts) -

King Crimson I would say are more avant garde, jazz, fusion than classic rock...

Nirvana and Soundgarden as 'classic rock?' Things have changed...

#30 Posted by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

I'd go with any of the British invasion stuff. The Who, The Kinks, Rolling Stones and such.

#31 Posted by DillonWerner (1522 posts) -
  • Styx
  • The Who
  • Rolling Stones
  • Eagles
  • The Doors
  • Credence Clear Water Revival
  • Boston
  • Chicago
  • .38 Special
  • Genesis
  • Van Halen
  • Foreigner
  • Blue Oyster Cult
  • Queen
  • The Police

Just Google search "good classic rock" or "good soft rock", you will find ton's of stuff.

#32 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

@Stepside:

Allman Brothers, Boston, Creedance Clearwater, Stevie Ray Vaughn (he's not really classic rock but has a similar sound), The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Doors, The Eagles, and Santana are all great to start off with and are similar to what you've been listening to. Listen to some of their stuff online and see what you think.

#33 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -
#34 Posted by Ksaw (341 posts) -
#35 Posted by Patman99 (1557 posts) -

Although you can never go wrong with The Beatles, Abbey Road specifically, Chicago and Yes are two of my favourite bands of all time. "25 or 6 to 4" and "Saturday in the Park" and great songs!

Also Paul Simon and Otis Redding, while not necessarily Classic Rock are a good for a switch up!

#36 Posted by ARProductions_HMG (25 posts) -

Blue Oyster Cult is another good band, don't know if it was mentioned, and older AC/DC is classic rock.

Bad Company, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Rush, Molly Hatchet.

#37 Posted by Vextroid (1354 posts) -

Two sweet songs.

#38 Posted by Unchained (1080 posts) -

Was already said, but CCR is in-fucking-credible.

#39 Posted by Veektarius (4540 posts) -

I used to listen to a lot of this stuff. Some songs I like by artists I haven't seen mentioned:

#40 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -
#41 Edited by PenguinDust (12440 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Hahahahaha....ah, I feel so sad to know that people are now regarding the 90's as "classic rock". I'm not really criticizing, just remarking how the passage of time makes what used to be "modern" now "classic".

Seriously though, a lot of good stuff has been mentioned but I'll add a few more:

1. Chicago Transit Authority (1969) - Chicago's first album - sample
  2. Everyone Knows This is Nowhere (1969) - Neil Young and Crazy Horse (this is the rockin' side of Young) - sample
  3. Blind Faith (1969) - "super group" formed of Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker & Ric Grech) - sample
  4. John Barleycorn Must Die (1970) - Traffic (Steve Winwood, Dave Mason & others) - sample
  5. Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (1970) - Derek and the Dominoes (really Eric Clapton and friends) - sample
  6. Santana [III] (1971) - Carlos Santana and band - sample
  7. At Fillmore East (1971) - The Allman Brothers Band (a live album with amazing guitar solos) - sample
  8. Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972) - David Bowie - sample
  9. Rumors - (1977) Fleetwood Mac - sample
  10. Greetings from Asbury Park (1973) - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - sample
#42 Posted by WickedFather (1730 posts) -

Thin Lizzy.  Get War of the Worlds.  I'd also look into some Prog Rock.  The first 5 or so Queen albums are great.

#43 Posted by bartok (2406 posts) -

Good to see so many Frank Zappa fans.  
@Godlyawesomeguy
Please don't call Nirvana or Sound Garden Classic Rock  just yet.  I know they have been around over 20 years but it makes me feel old at 26.

Anyway I highly recommend The Clash and Talking Heads

#44 Posted by BonOrbitz (2138 posts) -

Due to my age, I consider "classic rock" 60s through about 1983.

U2 (Boy, October, War)

ELO (Greatest Hits, Out of the Blue, Discovery)

The Cars (Greatest Hits, Candy-O)

Journey (Greatest Hits, Escape, Frontiers)

The Doors (Greatest Hits, The Doors)

Fleetwood Mac (Greatest Hits, Rumors, Tusk, Mirage)

#45 Posted by Stete (722 posts) -
#46 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

Rush

#47 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

Of the bands I haven't seen listed here yet:

Robin Trower:

Rory Gallagher:

And BLACK-FUCKIN'-SABBATH:

#48 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Hahahahaha....ah, I feel so sad to know that people are now regarding the 90's as "classic rock". I'm not really criticizing, just remarking how the passage of time makes what used to be "modern" now "classic".

I feel the same way, actually. I was more referencing the bombcast in that post.

#49 Posted by Example1013 (4833 posts) -

Jerry Lee Lewis

The Beach Boys

Blood, Sweat, and Tears

Steppenwolf

Jefferson Airplane

The Doors

The Temptations

Grand Funk Railroad

Spencer Davis Group

Grateful Dead

The Animals

#50 Posted by rachelepithet (1331 posts) -

I know GB doesn't like YouTube dumps so I'll try to keep em at a minimal. To build a taste, try looking up the original Comfortably Numb, set to clips from the Pink Floyd movie, and after, people's youtubed covers of the guitar solo and such, or even famous bands takes on it. Also the two best live performances by the split up band, Gilmour's version from "Pulse" in (1994?) and Waters' version with Van Morrison from around the time the real wall was torn down (and recently the Departed soundtrack.) Helps you appreciate how different a concept can be interpreted. Oh and a buddy showed me these... http://m.youtube.com/results?q=five%20years%20david%20bowie#/watch?v=Zq3EZhT3G7U http://m.youtube.com/results?q=five%20years%20david%20bowie#/watch?v=qg9PxSGFwfI