Help me understand gamertags

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Berezov

Having played quite a bit of the multiplayer component in Black Ops I've come across some odd, weird and quite frankly absurd gamer tags, all I ask of you GB community is to decipher and explain to me what these gamer tags mean, the thought process behind them and help me understand online handles. I won't use full gamer tags but some parts of the gamer tag that has stuck with me: 

• iTz - at first I thought this was a local clan but I've seen plenty of people using this, perhaps the clan is huge I have no idea.
  • xXx - this is usually placed at the beginning and/or end of each gamertag, I can kind see how it would be if a particular handle wasn't available at the time but surely that's attempting to encourage the user to pick another name?
  • qUiCkScOpEz - Two things here, I've never been so sure as to why people alternate the letters in gamer tags, it takes a bit more time for me to read it properly and... well it just looks a bit silly. Also the handle "Quick Scopes", I'm quite curious to why the S is replaced by a Z.
  • Magic, Fusion, Killah - Of course these names are usually mixed up with alternating letters and are usually accompanied by a variation of O's, I's, L's, X's and what have you. I'd quite like to know the origins of these.
  • 243958235 - Lots and lots of numbers, at first I genuinely thought that somebody put their phone number in their online name but as it turned out it was just a string of what I assumed to be meaningless numbers. Having spoke to someone with a gamer tag like this I didn't get any further to why this is so popular. 
  • Qu1ck5c0p3z - Numbers replacing letters, this one just blows my mind. I've seen plenty of perfectly good names online only to be butchered by replacing some letters with numbers. What the hell?
  • A specific year - 2006, 2K7. For Steam this is fine, you don't get charged to change your name. But for something like Xbox Live where it actually costs you change your name? Surely you'd want to bypass this problem and leave out years all together? All of this is assuming you don't want the gamertag "quIcKSnipEZ 2k8" in the year 2011.

Thank you for taking the time to read and if you are like myself and have any wonders about online gaming handles then feel free post. This isn't a huge jab at these people, I'm simply trying to understand the thought process and hopefully grasp the appeal of why a large percentage of the gaming community decide to use such names.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

Anyone who references anything to do with sniping in their tag is pretty much always a dickhead online.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

lol, are you serious? 

It's just people being dumbasses. None of that "means" anything.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ESREVER

I'm guilty of having two X's in my GamerTag. I'm sorry if I have offended you.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fajita_Jim

In games like Quake (the original) with text kill-notices, some names just fell into place that otherwise seemed odd. For instance:

Theman was killed by A 7 YEAR OLD GIRL

Theman ate HIS OWN MOM's boomstick

Theman rode HIS DADDY's rocket.

Then someone figured out how to do animated names in the Quake engine...I think the program was called 'Name Fun'. When this came out is when I first noticed people using XXXxxxXXX and such in their names, but of course it was animated. And annoying. After that the clusterfuck began, and now that shit just doesn't make any sense.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

With the numbers: I think some people do this just to get online, they look for a quick solution so it might be a mix of DOB, some phone number digits or a number that they can remember or work out easily when they log on. Useful for gamers who play cross platform or with multiple accounts.

Mixing caps and lowercase changes the shape of the word making it easier for the owner to spot their tag in a list of names on a screen, shape sHaPe or sHAPe and addiing symbols or numbers is all part of that l337 or l33t or leet speak world.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

All that is just peoples personal preferences. Besides, what does it matter? You'll never talk to the majority of players with those types of tags anyway. I don't. I'm also a bit anti-social tho. 

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JoeyIA
iTz 

and very much this 

@HandsomeDead said:
" Anyone who references anything to do with sniping in their tag is pretty much always a dickhead online. "
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

You're worrying about things you shouldn't give any thought.

Most people are just crazies and think having such tags make them cool :O

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By KaosAngel

Dude, I've had Kaos Angel as my PC ID since the late 90s, to this date I still have no idea how I came up with it nor do I know what the fuck it means. 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The thing is there really isn't much of a thought process behind most of these. I can tell you for a fact every time someone has put most of those components into their name there was no greater meaning behind them than "This looks really cool", or "It's what all my friends are doing".

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By xMP44x

iTz can mean two things: In The Zone, and just "it's". Basically, it is a stupid little prefix kids use on their Gamertags to make them more unique. Or something. People use an 'x' on their name to break it up. That's my reasoning at least for the usage of the letter in my name. I never see multiple x's, unless someone is really, really unoriginal. Quickscoping is a method of playing Call of Duty online that is highly ineffective, but is far and away one of the most popular pastimes for those who have a voice that shatters glass. Magic, and all of those words are basically used because of the presence of the letter 'i'. 'Fusion' doesn't sound original, but 'FuZiioN'? Much more zany. The trivial numbers and years basically are there for people who cannot come up with something original. I love your name of Berezov, but if it's taken, one can simply take 'Berezov 2k10' or 'Berezov249290'. Normally those numbers are in a sequence though, such as 2, 4, 6, 8 and so on. 

Basically, I know enough about those Gamertags to move in the other direction when I see them coming. Most of them are from younger kiddies who will yell obscenities down the mic. I prefer taking my headset off. ;)

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Simple answer: All the good tags are taken so the only thing you can do is try to mimic it by adding extra letters or numbers.

Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Phr4nk0

My thoughts on the matter... 

iTz

= "in the zone" halo origin, as someone has already linked to. 

xXx

= just a buffer/"cool" looking border, differentiator. People just using it because others do, they think it makes their tag look special to be bookended like that. Also used if someone has the tag you want already ie "Mike" is taken, try "xXx Mike  xXx"  "xXx_Mike_xXx" etc. Started in the late 90's on irc I think, atleast that's where I saw it first.  

quickscopez

= maybe a CoD thing. Safe to say the tag owner is a FPS/Sniping fan. Also as stated before, safe bet to avoid. Z replaces S becauce it was "hardcore" in the early 90s (Warez), use of z indicates hardcore  "computer hacker gangs", along with x (Haxor) 

Magic, Fusion, Killah

= Just badass sounding to various early teens, correct spelling optional; Majik, Fuzion etc (s replaced with z as explained above). 

random numbers

= no idea, couldn't be bothered thinking up a tag, no imagination, tag they wanted was taken, Matrix ilusions, hexadecimal maybe illuding to how "badass" it is to be a hacker, harder to remember the tag so easier to get away with griefing/glitching. 

Numbers replacing letters

= Guilty of this myself, my gamertag is Phr4nk0, my friends call me Franko. Franko was taken... Fr4nk0 was taken, Phr4nk0 was not. For me it was a differentiator I picked years ago (I've had the username Phr4nk0 for about 10 years now, noone ever seems to have it so if you see a Phr4nk0 around it's probably me), didn't want a date and didn't have the imagination to think something up myself so I stuck to my nickname. Also used by Internet hacker gangs/l337 5p34k entusiasts. 

Specifc year

= a differentiator aswell, there might be a mike out there, but maybe not one born/graduated/married/barmitzvah'd in your year/month/day/combination of all the above as you. 

Factor into all this the appeal of having the same username everywhere for some people (like me) Franko might not be taken everywhere, especially if I get in early, but then I have to remember which websites/services use what username/password combinations, so I always just go for Phr4nk0 straight out. My two cents on how I view peoples gamertags, I may be wrong but that can be said about a lot more important things so I'll stick to this for now.
GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By GeekDown

I have my birthyear in my gamertag and I hate it, but there is no way i'm paying 800 points to change it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@KaosAngel said:
" Dude, I've had Kaos Angel as my PC ID since the late 90s, to this date I still have no idea how I came up with it nor do I know what the fuck it means.  "
Kind of the same thing here.  I've got no idea how I thought of "FluxWaveZ" or what it means.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@Berezov said:
  • "iTz - at first I thought this was a local clan but I've seen plenty of people using this, perhaps the clan is huge I have no idea.
  • xXx - this is usually placed at the beginning and/or end of each gamertag, I can kind see how it would be if a particular handle wasn't available at the time but surely that's attempting to encourage the user to pick another name?
  • qUiCkScOpEz - Two things here, I've never been so sure as to why people alternate the letters in gamer tags, it takes a bit more time for me to read it properly and... well it just looks a bit silly. Also the handle "Quick Scopes", I'm quite curious to why the S is replaced by a Z.
  • Magic, Fusion, Killah - Of course these names are usually mixed up with alternating letters and are usually accompanied by a variation of O's, I's, L's, X's and what have you. I'd quite like to know the origins of these.
  • Qu1ck5c0p3z - Numbers replacing letters, this one just blows my mind. I've seen plenty of perfectly good names online only to be butchered by replacing some letters with numbers. What the hell?
All you need to know is that if you see any of these in someone's tag then they're a total douche, probably within the 12-16 age range, and you want nothing to do with them.