Help with a tattoo idea

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I recently got the idea of wanting a tattoo. I have the general idea of what I want it to be, but there are some important details I want to has out and I don't really know anyone in person who I can have a good discussion about this with, so I was hoping you guys could help.

I want "We are human, after all" tattooed across the inside of my left forearm. Specifically, the phrase comes from Human After All by Daft Punk, and there are a variety of reasons I want it that I won't really get into right now.

Seeing as this is an electronic song, I wanted it to be stylized in such a way that makes it seem "robotic" but still optimistic. Is this language people use when getting tattoos?

Two other ideas I had were getting it in binary, but it turns out that would be way too long and dense for the inside of a forearm. I also considered getting it in the form of a barcode but 1) I don't know if that's possible and 2) it would be nice to see the words when I look down. (Although I do like the idea of having a phrase about being human written in a computerised form)

Any input would be appreciated, and I'll gladly answer any questions you guys might have to help me out with this. I want to have a very strong idea of what I want before I make the appointment and get them to mock something up for me. Even better, I'd like to go in with an exact drawing or some reference pieces.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

The barcode idea sounds rad.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for chainreaction01
chainreaction01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You could always convert the binary to Hexadecimal. It would take up a fourth of the space and still be robot related. Just would be as obvious to those who don't know hex.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By fobwashed
No Caption Provided

Here u go

JeremyKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By JeremyKO

@the_nubster: Your first step should be finding an artist who's work you like. Where do you live? Avoid just going to the local shop and asking whoever to put something on you. Do your research, find someone reputable with a strong portfolio. Instagram and tumblr have made this task extremely easy.

Your next step is going in and consulting with said artist. Feel free to bring reference, but let the artist be the one to actually draw the design. This is why finding an artist who's work you trust is so important. Having someone who isn't a tattooer design a tattoo for you is never a good idea. You want someone who's experienced with the medium to design the tattoo.

From there, work with the artist until you're happy with the design. If there's something you don't like about his or her first draft, let them know. This is gonna be on your forever, and any decent artist will be more than happy to work with you on the design until you're satisfied.

Good luck to you man. The only other advice I can offer is to let an idea simmer in your head for a while before you make the commitment. If you let me know the general area where you live I can help you find a decent shop and artist.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No Caption Provided

maybe something like this ?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Nubster

@corevi: Cool! I might print that out and use it as a reference. As long as it can be done in a barcode style, I'd like that. The artist could always stylize the wording, too.

@fobwashed: Nailed it. I'm going out to get this tomorrow.

@jeremyko: The problem with my town is that it's just north of Toronto, so a lot of the talent that comes from here ends up heading to the city. I'll definitely scour the internet and look for someone good, though, because my plan was to wander into a well-reviewed tattoo place with a reference or a design and just do it that way. When it comes to consulting with an artist, does it cost money, or is it purely the tattoo that costs? I've never had any experience with getting tattoos before, so I know basically nothing about it beyond what shitty reality TV shows have shown me, and I can wager those aren't particularly representative of how it goes.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck, duder. And be careful - I got my first tattoo four months ago, and I'm already itching to get another one, and another, and another... It's addictive. :P

JeremyKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: Forget about any of those tattoo shows, they're embarrassing. You can walk into a shop and talk to an artist for free. You won't be paying them until after the tattoo is on you. You may have to put down a deposit for an appointment depending on the shop. If an artist draws something up for you and you absolutely can't figure something agreeable out with them, you can always walk away. Just don't expect to get any further appointments with said person.

If you live close to Toronto, make the trip. There are several really good shops there. It's worth traveling to get to an artist that will do a good job. You're gonna have this forever, it's worth driving a few hours.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: where are you ? I am not too far from Toronto I know an amazing artist I just posted this but this is an example of what he can do.

http://instagram.com/p/s_Q3rkJDh3/?modal=true

JeremyKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way, Okey Doke in Toronto is a great shop. I've been wanting to get tattooed by Franz for years.

http://theokeydoketattooshop.com/

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Nubster

@thebrokenpinion: The NIN example is a little too hard for my tastes, but I'd definitely want black-and-white with crisp outlines. That's an awesome MGS tattoo, though! Falls pretty well in line with what I'd want an artist to be familiar with, too. I live in Barrie, so I could probably make a trip out to wherever that artist is. By the way, you've got a good taste in music.

@jeremyko: Yeah, you're right that it's worth a trip if I'm getting permanent ink on myself. Just browsing through those portfolios on the Okey Doke website, Alex's works are ticking my fancy, but she does seem to be hard to get a hold of. I'm not exactly clear on whether or not I'd need the deposit to come in on a Sunday to see her, either, but I'll probably send her an email with some questions beforehand.

@shagge: That's what I've heard! My ex had several tattoos and she was always excited about the idea of getting more. Hopefully I'll be able to control myself!

JeremyKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: Sundays are walk ins only, you wouldn't need a deposit. You'd probably only need to do a deposit if you came into a shop, consulted, and then made an appointment for a later date. It sort of depends on the shop. It also never hurts to shoot an email, but tattooers are often notoriously slow at answering emails. You might fare better just giving the shop a call.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Nubster

@jeremyko: That sounds doable, then. If I don't find someone nearby that I really like the work off, I'll try to head down to that shop on a free Sunday and see what's up. Thanks a lot for the help! Always easier with someone who knows what they're talking about around.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: I am in Alliston not a far trip for you at all.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebrokenpinion: No kidding, only a half hour or so. Could I get the name of that artist and his contact info, if you have it? His style is really good.