Help with San Fransisco vacation

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Edited By EpicSteve

Hey guys! My girlfriend and I are planning a week-long vacation to San Fransisco before I leave for Scout training at Fort Knox. I'm pretty overwhelmed with the amount of hotels to choose from,so I was wondering if anybody knew anything about specific locations in the bay area that would be good to stay at. Also feel free to point out anything in the city I should check out. Thanks!

I'm more afraid of those bad dudes then the religious extremist ones.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

Hey guys! My girlfriend and I are planning a week-long vacation to San Fransisco before I leave for Scout training at Fort Knox. I'm pretty overwhelmed with the amount of hotels to choose from,so I was wondering if anybody knew anything about specific locations in the bay area that would be good to stay at. Also feel free to point out anything in the city I should check out. Thanks!

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RetroIce4

That pic is?

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Alphazero

I'd avoid staying in the Tenderloin District. Outside of that it's whatever you can afford. The Fairmont is beautiful and right on Union Square but mondo expensive.

The Mission District can be a little dicey sometimes, but nothing an Army Scout can't handle. Best burritos on the planet, plus there's the Pirate Supply Store on Valencia. It's San Francisco's *only* independent pirate supply store. Lots of places in the Mission that Funky Student would appreciate.

* Since it's you and your girlfriend, go to Top of the Mark. It's a bar on top of the Mark Hopkins hotel. Great views. Expensive as hell drinks.
* Take the ferry to Sausalito, wave hello to Giant Bomb, then take the ferry to Angel Island for hiking and great views.
* As touristy as it is, the Alcatraz tour is pretty cool. Book your ticket in advance.
* Come visit the Yoda Statue at Lucasfilm in the Presidio.
* The Exploratorium is a cool science museum and it has an original Lunar Lander arcade game that some punk 10 year old is always trying to kick me off of. Step off, 10 year olds. I'm playing.
* Market Street and Union Square have a ton of shops and places to eat.
* The CNet building is on 2nd St. South of Market. Go there and pee on them.

San Francisco is lots of fun. It's also cold in the summer, so be prepared. Good luck with those bad guys/bugs out there.

DeeDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DeeDee

When you hit Sausalito, go Kayaking in the bay as long as it's not windy, you can see some sea lions etc..., it's a cool thing to do and only takes half a day.   You can drive from S.F. to Sausalito in 15 minutes.  Portrero hill is a cool spot for a quiet dinner and walk, make sure you go to the top of the hill, the bottom is not good.  Awesome views of the city.  For directions (you will need them inSF, lots of 1 way streets and dead ends because of hills) look for Chez Papa or Eliza's on google maps (both food places) 

If you like wine, spend a day in Sonoma wine country (less crowded than Napa), The Wine Room is a lil co op wine tasting place that is still getting rave reviews, NO FEE wine tasting.

They also recently opened a new http://www.calacademy.org/ in Golden Gate park.  I've been meaning to go there just been busy w/ work.  It has all types of cool stuff

Or you can just spend half a day walking the entire length of GG park.  They have a cool JPN tea garden, and mini ecosystems throughout.

Admission includes access to all museum and aquarium exhibits, the rainforest, the living roof, and the planetarium shows.

Please note that due to popular demand, the California Academy of Sciences may be full and at our occupancy capacity on the day of your visit. Should this occur, we may be unable to sell you tickets at that time. Please pre-purchase your tickets online to confirm your preferred admission date.

General AdmissionBuy Tickets »
Adult $24.95
Senior (ages 65 and over) $19.95
Youth (ages 12-17) $19.95
Child (ages 7-11) $14.95
Ages 6 and under FREE
Specialty Tickets
Deep Dive Tour Details » $75 / person
Platinum Tour Details » $200 / person
Specialty Tours are now available. To reserve by phone, call (800) 794-7576. Members receive a 10% discount.
NightLife Tickets Buy Tickets »
Adult (21 and over) $10
Member (21 and over) $8

Visit Free of Charge

There are numerous opportunities to visit the Academy free of charge, including:

• Wachovia Wednesdays: Third Wednesday of every month.
  • Neighborhood Free Days: Open weekends for SF residents in each zip code. Begins 2009.

Please note admission is on a first come, first served basis.

See full details on all free days »

Someone mentioned Tenderloin?

(03-17) 12:30 PDT SAN FRANCISCO --

Three people have been arrested in the killing of a woman last month in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood, a slaying that police believe stemmed from a dispute over missing drugs, authorities said today.

The three face possible murder charges in the death of Leticia Hunter, 33, who was shot and killed the night of Feb. 23 during an argument at Turk and Taylor streets. Five other people were wounded.

Hunter had a drug-related record in San Francisco but may not have been the killers' intended target, police say.

Homicide Lt. Mike Stasko said the shooting followed a street dispute involving several women over missing narcotics. Stasko said police are trying to determine what role Hunter had in the dispute, if any.

Hunter was on the street with other members of her family when a Mercedes-Benz SUV drove up, two men got out and one of them opened fire, police said.

Officers who responded to the shooting chased the SUV across the Bay Bridge into Oakland, but abandoned the pursuit out of concern for public safety, authorities said. The vehicle was found burning a few hours later on an Oakland street.

Investigators developed leads from the chase, however, and determined that one of the suspects had an unspecified connection to the SUV. On Saturday they arrested Javon Fee, 28, of Oakland, Rorico Reyna, 31, of Hayward, and Barbara Barnes, 24, of San Francisco.

Police say Fee and Reyna were in the SUV when officers chased it. Barnes was with the two men before the shooting and was on the street when the shots were fired, police said. Authorities would not discuss her alleged role in the killing.

The three suspects are being held at San Francisco County Jail on $2 million bail apiece. Prosecutors with District Attorney Kamala Harris' office will decide by today whether to file charges.

Reyna was already wanted on multiple warrants for an alleged federal probation violation and cases involving drugs, drunken driving and reckless driving in Oakland, authorities said.

Fee has a conviction on his record in a federal drug case involving a gang in San Francisco's Bayview neighborhood.

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By JamesF

^ what that guy said.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Systech

There are absolutely no Camel Spiders to worry about, my good sir.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

@systech 

I was referring to the horrible creatures in the middle east, I have to go to Afghanistan early next year. If I saw one in California, I would probably "flip a bitch" as Garnett Lee would say.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EpicSteve

I totally appriciate it guys :D

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Wolverine

I've never been to San Fransisco but I always wanted to go. I hope you enjoy our vacation. Also, thanks for serving our country.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MisterSpiffy

I went there in August.  I'd recommend staying near Union Square.  Tons of shops and places to eat nearby.  I'd really recommend taking a bike tour across the Golden Gate into Sausalito.  It should take up an afternoon, and it's really fun!  Oh, and be sure to check out Fisherman's Wharf!

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By papercut

I live here, pretty rad.

I'd say you need to go to Haight st. It's a great experience and a marvel. My girlfriend saw a monkey in a stroller there. I'd say your more likely to meet funky student here. Lots of Hippies. Awesome stores.

Also, The Academy of Science recently opened and its real fun ***IF**** you get there early. Cost $25 a person, $3 dollar discount if you take the bus. And the second you get in GET planetarium tickets. they're free but there is limited seating and they run out fast.

Don't go on Sundays or Tuesdays, that's members preview day where they get to go in an hour early and crowd the place up. Give 'em a name drop and say "I know Hank" and if you are lucky maybe you can jump ahead or something. If your there on the weekend ask around for me. I work in Guest Services and I might be able to hook you up.

Besides those, theres all the originals: Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Fishermans Warf.

Stay OUT of Tenderloin and parts of 3rd Street! Scary.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By giyanks22

Steve we went five years ago, and took this tour on segways (the thing the guy drives in mall cop). They train you for an hour or so, and then they take you on tour, while you drive the segways. It is pretty inexpensive, and it was a blast. If you take the second course, then you get to go down Lombard Street (the curviest road in the world)...Definitely look into that.