Here are the official Oscar 2016 nominations

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Best Picture and Director nominations for Mad Max Fury Road plus many other nominations(VFX, Costume Design, Cinematography and Editing)

If you want to see all the nominees click here

If you want my opinion aside from Writings on the Wall getting a nomination they are all good

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I wish that Carol had gotten a Best Picture nomination and Charlize Theron a nomination for Best Actress, but the other nominations for Mad Max make up for that. I think The Revenent will win both best picture and director, but I really hope they go shiny and chrome.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Wow, Mad Max has a lot of nominations. Maybe I should finally watch it. It just got added to HBO Now, so I'll probably load it up this weekend.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Frybird

Interesting nominations this year.

I'd love to see The Revenant getting best Cinematography and Mad Max best Editing (Sound Editing and Mixing too, Directing would be a cool acknowledgement of the planning and preparation and execution of the movie, but i wouldn't be angry about Miller not winning if Revenant or Room do).

Visual Effects gonna be interesting for me, usually the Academy makes some dumb choices here, but the nominees are all pretty great in that department this year.

Really hope for Ex Machina getting best Original Screenplay (if i were a betting man i'd say Spotlight will win though, although i find the categorization "Original" in this case odd)

I'd also oddly hope neither DiCaprio nor Fassbender win best Actor, not because i don't think they wouldn't deserve them, but i feel like in both cases a win would put more of a spotlight to the oscar baitiness of the roles than the actual performance (Tom Hardy would be a fun win in supporting actor though).

Surprised "The Big Short" got so much nominations. Seeing trailers of that only serves to make my blood boil.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That list of actors sure does look white, even by Oscar standards. I'm surprised Creed didn't get a nod for directing, film editing, score, or best actor.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@frybird said:

I'd also oddly hope neither DiCaprio nor Fassbender win best Actor, not because i don't think they wouldn't deserve them, but i feel like in both cases a win would put more of a spotlight to the oscar baitiness of the roles than the actual performance (Tom Hardy would be a fun win in supporting actor though).

I know what you mean, but DiCaprio really finally deserves to win an Oscar, even if it's with a somewhat "baity" role. I'm still pissed about him not winning it for The Aviator.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That list of actors sure does look white, even by Oscar standards. I'm surprised Creed didn't get a nod for directing, film editing, score, or best actor.

While i'd be nice if Michael B. Jordan in for best actor, i'd also feel like whoever he'd replaced would maybe be snubbed.

Other than that, i feel like it's a bit unfair towards the Revenant Nominees who are mostly Mexican and the nomination for "What happened Miss Simone".

But i'm interested, who do you feel like is overlooked here other than Jordan?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hard to feel bad about 10 nominations for Fury Road, several of them feel like a guarantee (i.e. costume design); Maybe it got snubbed for score or best supporting actress or something but /shrug Only the Revenant has more and the Revenant's probably going to win almost everything. Meanwhile Ex Machina fans get screwed, and Sicario just gets Cinematography, Sound Editing, and Score. Not to worry though Cinematography is the third best indicator of a good movie behind best Actor and best Picture itself; and thus one of the most desirable awards. Deakins never wins though.

Suppose this is worth linking again:

Loading Video...

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and the award goes to OH GOD A BEAR AURGHRHGRRG

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Boy, if they actually pulled the trigger and gave everything to Mad Max, that would be swell....

I've also got a lot of movies to catch up on.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty happy overall. I probably would have thrown Kurt Russel and Benicio Del Toro into supporting actor, and replaced Eddie Redmayne with Oscar Isaac, and actually switch Alicia Vikander's nomination to be for Ex Machina as well. Basically take the Danish Girl out entirely. I thought The Martian was about as interesting as stale bread, but people seemed really into it, so I can understand it getting the nominations it did. I guess it depends on how much you enjoy the humour. But overall, very solid. I suppose Crimson Peak and Hateful 8 should also have gotten nods for costume and production design, and It Follows for soundtrack, but oh well.

I'm very, very happy that Sicario got nominated for cinematography and soundtrack, since those two elements work so well together in that film. They cause such palpable tension, that nothing else last year came even close. I pulling for it to win both of those. That said, having to choose between Sicario and an Ennio Morricone soundtrack is a rough call to make. Ennio Morricone's music is better to listen to, and worked extremely well in Hateful Eight, but it really is the way that Sicario's soundtrack enhanced the film that makes it stand out.

I'm hoping George Miller wins director in the end, because if Mad Max is anything, it's his triumph as a director. Revenant will probably just win everything, and while I disagree, I can respect it taking best picture over Mad Max. But man, George Miller really deserves that Oscar.

Ringedwithtile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

How the hell did Rachel McAdams get nominated? Anyways, it's a pretty boring list as usual.

Hoping Mad Max will take Production Design and World of Tomorrow will take Animated Short. Don't really care about the rest.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@ringedwithtile: She was a lady in a pretty good movie. Also she had like a nana or something who she used to go to church with. That's about all I remember. She also looked identical to her True Detective alter ego, which one would assume would have negative ramifications.

To be clear she's a good actress under 40 and there aren't very many of those, now she can have "Oscar Nominated" preceding whichever random movie trailer.

Aside: Holy shit Kate Winslet has a fuckload of Oscar nominations.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm just glad I have so many great games to look forward to playing from the past year in a time where movies seem to stagnate more and more.

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don Hertzfeldt was nominated for Best Short Film for "World of Tomorrow"? I would love to see him win an Oscar.

I like to imagine him going to the podium, getting his award, and screaming, "My anus is bleeding!"

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BisonHero

Man, looking at movie posters, I didn't realize this had become such a thing:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I am happy for all the movies that are not traditionally nominated being recognized (Mad Max, The Revenant, The Martian), but that throws my prediction to the garbage bin. There is no way any of those movies gets the award, unless they replace all the jury with people a third their age and half their preconceptions.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BisonHero

I'm disappointed that Ex Machina didn't get a few more nominations, and ironically I thought a lot of the acting shone way brighter than the screenplay itself (which is what got the nomination). Sort of like how The Lego Movie was a good animated feature (not nominated) with an insufferable pop theme song (nominated). Still, I'm sure these other movies are very good (I've only seen a handful) and Ex Machina got bumped for good reason.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Sicario is getting robbed. This is the land of wolves now. I hope those Oscar voters know that Benicio Del Toro is coming for them.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@hermes: Revenant is in line with There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, 12 Years A Slave, Django, True Grit, and so on; there's plenty of movies with a similar type of atmosphere that get nominated. If the Grey (79% vs 81% for the Revenant on RT) came out in December instead of February/March it would probably have had a shot at being nominated, though it wasn't directed by Inarritu.

The Martian is just a new thing since Gravity, "Modern Space Movie;" expect to see many more in the near future, but we've already got Interstellar (5 nominations), Gravity itself (10 nominations), and the Martian (8 nominations).

Mad Max is non traditional obviously, it's also the best (or second best if you want to argue for T2) action movie ever made and critics aren't necessarily dumb enough to overlook that. T2 was nominated for 6 oscars, including the non trivial Cinematography.

I would be pretty stunned at this point if The Revenant (which won the Golden Globe for best Drama), The Martian (which won the Golden Globe for best Comedy), or Mad Max didn't win Best Picture; Revenant has a huge recency bias going for it which matters a lot come award season, Martian would be the first "Modern Space Movie" to win the award, and Mad Max is the relatively solid Dark Horse.

Birdman won Best Picture last year. This is a line in Birdman: "Gravity doesn't apply to you motherfucker."

YesIndeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, did Dave Lang get a nomination for best original song? Who knew he was so talented?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BisonHero

@hermes said:

I am happy for all the movies that are not traditionally nominated being recognized (Mad Max, The Revenant, The Martian), but that throws my prediction to the garbage bin. There is no way any of those movies gets the award, unless they replace all the jury with people a third their age and half their preconceptions.

Your grammar makes this sentence incredibly confusing. Are you saying that Mad Max, The Revenant, and The Martian are the traditional safe nominees that will get a bunch of awards and other stuff will not get the awards? Or are you saying the opposite, where you think those 3 movies are not traditional nominees and will not get many awards?

I guess I'm confused that you're grouping these at all, because The Revenant is traditional as fuck for awards season. Judges love period pieces, kinda regardless of subject matter. The Martian is sci-fi, but it's certainly got more human drama to it than a lot of "fun" action sci-fi out there like Star Wars or Star Trek or Independence Day or whatever. However, I'll agree that Mad Max is very untraditional in that it is an action movie with very little exposition, but still has many aspects worthy of recognition.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

No Caption Provided

RIDE ETERNAL, SHINY AND CHROME! WITNESS ME!

I am so stoked about the recognition for what was hands down the best picture of 2015!

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aethelred
hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@bisonhero: Sorry, English is not my main language, so I tend to overcomplicate sentences. I meant to say those movies are not traditional nominees and very unlikely to get many awards (outside secondary ones like sound editing or special effects)

@fredchuckdave: We will see... I have noticed that, in the last few years, a lot of "more mainstream" movies get nominated to best picture (Up, District 9, Inception, Toy Story 3, Django, Gravity) but never get the award (specifically, it started when the nominees jumped from 5 to twice that). This is not motivated by the quality of the movies but merely publicity; the cynic in me thinks this is a way for the Academy to try to attract a younger audience (that is unlikely to see movies like King's Speech or 12 Years a Slave) by giving them something to root for, while not really changing the way the winner is picked.

As I said, we will see. Come march I will likely review my post, and I hope I am mistaken, but I have seen enough Academy Awards to became rather savvy.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@frybird: it's not so much that anyone was overlooked, but more that there isn't enough diversity in actors/directors/etc.

when everyone on the lead male and female categories are white and the directors are all white dudes it's just representative of the opportunities available for everyone else

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm glad to see Mad Max and The Big Short get so much love, but man Sicario deserves so much more than it got. Best Cinematography is a great category, but Lubezki is a monster to compete with. I think Sicario should also be up for Best Picture, Best Supp. Actor (Del Toro), best Actress (Blunt), and Best Director. Bah, I really hope Mad Max wins best picture just for the surprise because nobody expects it to win but I truly think it would deserve it if it did win.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Was happy to see that some obscure animated movies were nominated and not just The Good Dinosaur and Minions. Still need to check out that Studio Ghibli film.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Random thoughts:

• Alicia Vikander, nominated for the wrong role in the wrong category
  • Happy that Stallone got a nomination, doubtful he'll win though
  • Best animated feature films need to just get rolled into best picture, but that will probably never happen
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BisonHero

@mendelson9 said:

Was happy to see that some obscure animated movies were nominated and not just The Good Dinosaur and Minions. Still need to check out that Studio Ghibli film.

It's been somewhat rare that they highlight animated movies that are simply children's movies that just have a bunch of cheap laughs and not much of anything else. I'm not sure many Minions-caliber animated movies have ever made the cut. Some years there are so few English-language animated features that some mediocre ones make the nomination cut, but the last few years they've nominated some alright stuff.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@somejerk said:

and the award goes to OH GOD A BEAR AURGHRHGRRG

If there was a 1% chance of an actual bear crashing the Oscars I would be 809434932 times more interested.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ichthy said:

Random thoughts:

• Alicia Vikander, nominated for the wrong role in the wrong category
  • Happy that Stallone got a nomination, doubtful he'll win though
  • Best animated feature films need to just get rolled into best picture, but that will probably never happen

Yeah, it's cool to consider that Disney's Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture back in the day, but yeah, never gonna see something like that again. It doesn't seem like they're likely to retire the category of Best Animated Feature. There are enough animated features floating around to justify its existence as a category, so yeah.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've just realized I don't really care about 'cinema' anymore. I've seen precisely two of the movies on that massive list. Everything I've watched this year was either older or something that would never make an Oscar list.

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at the list of recent Golden Globe winners, how did The Martian win the "Best Musical or Comedy" award?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hassun

@aethelred: They knew they weren't going to beat the Revenant so they submitted it for the other category.

The biggest thing I notice this year is many of the nominated films never came out where I live (or haven't been released here yet) and on top of that I haven't even heard of multiple of them.

Brooklyn, Room, Spotlight, Joy, Trumbo, ... none of them are familiar to me.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I haven't even heard of half these movies, but I just saw Room and it was amazing. My current feeling is that I'd like it to win all of the things, please and thank you. I know it won't though. I continue to not get people's fervor for Mad Max and The Martian. The Revenant, much like The Grey, is going into the category of boring survivalist shit I'll probably never be able to watch all the way through without falling asleep.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always have trouble saying "this should win" "that should win" because I never watch all of the nominees (and neither does the Academy according to the info leaked last year) but I think the mantra of DiCaprio Must Suffer applies.

Not that I dislike Leo - completely opposite. I used to think he was just a pretty boy, used as eye candy in films like Titanic and Man in the Iron Mask purely to draw in young female audiences. I kinda changed with Catch Me If You Can, and his work since has been great. I just think I like him better as that scrappy actor who doesnt NEED an Academy Award. He is probably more well known for NOT winning but being of the same caliber than some actors are with a shelf of them.

And yes, Beauty and the Beast is pretty much WHY animation got split off, though at the very least it's allowed some other films like this year's When Marnie Was There to pick up a nomination at least. I mean, the category might as well be The Pixar Award these days.