#1 Edited by Matthew (1912 posts) -

Thanks to users jacoba for finding this all out in the first place and Marino for supplying this awesome picture graph thing for us to see it all.

How do I get these awesome cards?

• No idea. I talked to Dave on the phone for a bit concerning the cards (as of 9.8.11). Turns out he and Dan are going to be selecting users based on how awesome they've been throughout the community and such. So, try as we might, it's not really up to us.

How will I know I got these?

• Via your personal e-mail you used when you signed up for the site. Check your spam folder, some of the Whiskey e-mails have found themselves there, though not on purpose.

Who has been legend-ified in trading card form?

• As of now, I personally don't know. I think it's going to be a bit of a surprise, but there has already been a Ben Franklin, along with a Karen Mills, so anything is possible. Chloe Bananas is bound to show up at one point or another.
  • Due to the nature of some of the users who are going to be getting these, we may not be able to see all of them. Some might just be the typical lurker, and that means they'll just keep it to themselves. And that's their own choice.

The Collection

• To view this image full-size, copy and paste this URL: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1992/1887055-heroes3.jpg
#2 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

Saw this before. So excited to see more of them!

#3 Posted by dudeglove (7758 posts) -

Another one for the merchandise suggestion thread.

Whiskey Media playing cards would be neat. Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny as ace suits; Ted Nyman as king; Dave and his sister as jokers etc.

#4 Posted by Fattony12000 (7304 posts) -

Give them power/toughness/skills and we got a new Metagame.

#5 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

Gotta collect 'em all! This will be the hottest trading card game on the market!

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Nice, this'll be good.

#7 Posted by YoThatLimp (1901 posts) -

How do you find them though?!

#8 Edited by snide (2413 posts) -

I actually own the Wade Boggs card. I spent about 2 or 3 years collecting baseball cards when the hobby was at its zenith in the early 90s. Also, edited @Matthew's post to show the full size (for all the silly texture work!)

#9 Posted by SSully (4159 posts) -

Wait so who is the original creator? Dave?

#10 Posted by sirdesmond (1235 posts) -

This needs to be the little bonus item you get for subscribing. I want a booster pack of Whiskey Media trading cards!

#11 Posted by Brendan (7768 posts) -

Fantastic. Now I really want to see the others.

#12 Posted by ZeroSignal (55 posts) -

A wild Gerstmann appears!

#13 Posted by Silver-Streak (1347 posts) -

This actually makes me wonder, are the Heroes of the Internet cards given out to the top contributors, or are they actually found?

#14 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

What, I don't get this at all. Can they be found on the site?

#15 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4710 posts) -

@Eujin said:

This actually makes me wonder, are the Heroes of the Internet cards given out to the top contributors, or are they actually found?

Given the "Unlocked by..." line at the bottom of the card, I'm guessing they're given out. No idea if contribution makes a difference as to who gets what though.

#16 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5143 posts) -

Can you please explain a little more, aside from the fact that they exist?

#17 Posted by Matthew (1912 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda

@Eujin said:

Given the "Unlocked by..." line at the bottom of the card, I'm guessing they're given out. No idea if contribution makes a difference as to who gets what though.

That's the odd bit. I checked out jacoby's profile pretty hard after I saw he got that first card, and it doesn't look like he's done anything special recently. No new comments on recent news items, he hadn't done a forum post in like 6 months or so... No clue or indication on what he might have done to get the card.
@ZeroSignal want to share on what you did to unlock the Jefferson?
#18 Posted by Orange (206 posts) -

Jeff's last name is spelled wrong.... ?

#19 Posted by Toxin066 (3280 posts) -

Tell me what I must do to obtain a limited edition, holographic Matthew Rorie card and it will be done.

#20 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

@Orange said:

Often baseball cards contain mis-spellings. There's also another Baseball card in joke in that first one.

#21 Edited by NickL (2246 posts) -

@Orange said:

It is probably part of the joke. His name used to always be spelled wrong when he was a wee lad.

edit: I think the cards are randomly unlocked by subscribing, that is the only thing in common i see between the 2 that have gotten them already.

#22 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -
@NickL said:

@Orange said:

It is probably part of the joke. His name used to always be spelled wrong when he was a wee lad.

edit: I think the cards are randomly unlocked by subscribing, that is the only thing in common i see between the 2 that have gotten them already.

It's probably a door lottery style system, where every X person gets the random win.
#23 Posted by Megasoum (354 posts) -

So Jeff is the Editor In Chief now? Thought they never used formal titles in the past...

#24 Posted by BrickRoad (702 posts) -

Is it me or is the end of the superscope censored? Pretty funny if it is.

#25 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

@BrickRoad said:

Was hoping someone would see it :)

#26 Posted by RustySpoon (143 posts) -

Two of the three unlocked the 'Investigated' quest around the same time (20 hours ago). The third guy, (forkstik) had already unlocked it back in April. Wondering if random users were flagged for "unlocks" when they renew their memberships or something like that. The quest thing seems like it has to be related in some sense, even if its just someone checking to see if certain people have realized they got them.

#27 Posted by sirdesmond (1235 posts) -

@snide: I don't know if this is right, as I do not know if Jeff is left or right-handed, but is the other joke the fact that the image has been reversed or that he is swinging from the wrong side?

If not, then I'm clueless, unless it has something to do with that censor bar on the Super Scope.

#28 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5413 posts) -

I must know what's happening!

#29 Posted by Daniel (1523 posts) -

I believe this to be the greatest idea Dave has ever had.

#30 Posted by FinalDasa (1615 posts) -

Obviously Whiskey Media is now choosing favorites through remakes of old baseball cards. Obviously.

OR its for doing something special.

#31 Posted by MisterMouse (3550 posts) -

Oh man these look really awesome.

#32 Posted by KarlPilkington (2718 posts) -

I really want to know how people are getting them.

I bet it's super weird and convoluted. So perfect!

#33 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

I don't even

#34 Posted by ZeroSignal (55 posts) -

@Matthew said:

@ZeroSignal want to share on what you did to unlock the Jefferson?

I'd love to give you a tip, but it's more fun watching everyone work it out.

#35 Posted by TheAdmin (712 posts) -

I don't care how... I just need to get the one for Sara Lima.

#36 Posted by BrickRoad (702 posts) -

@snide: Ha, yeah. These are brilliant, really well designed. Is that a halftone layered over the top of the photos?

#37 Posted by TurboMan (7506 posts) -

I'm totally not playing Dave's stupid game just for my name to appear on a card....

(waits to be rewarded somehow)

#38 Posted by pseudomyxoma (108 posts) -

These are really great. I will try to unlock one but I will just be content seeing them too. Great idea Dave much props

#39 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1767 posts) -

Awesome job, Dave. I really want to see the rest of them now.

#40 Posted by Chippy180 (160 posts) -

Would I be setting my hopes too high if I imagined a Matthew Rorie card where he's in the background(Like Will) preparing to bat, while Chloe Banana's is sitting in the foreground pretending to pitch?

I think I'm setting my hopes too high...

#41 Posted by EnchantedEcho (739 posts) -

How are people unlocking these, do they just appear in your photos?

#42 Posted by JoeOE18 (109 posts) -

Given that the username of the person who unlocked the card is on the actual image, I'm guessing that these aren't things you can just find. Must be something you can do that alerts Dave, or something that he can do to you, should he so choose.

#43 Posted by chilibean_3 (1635 posts) -

@BrickRoad said:

Jeff is a fuck face?

#44 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

donate to childs play in the store?

#45 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2373 posts) -

I'm guessing Jeff's Super Scope is censored on the bottom because it says "Fuck Face"?

#46 Posted by Benny (1951 posts) -

Seems to be from donating to child's play

#47 Posted by Megasoum (354 posts) -

@Benny said:

Seems to be from donating to child's play

Yeah makes sense. Oh well, my sub is going through june 2012 so that won't happen anytime soon lol.

#48 Posted by ZeroSignal (55 posts) -

@VicRattlehead: @Benny: I didn't donate to Child's Play FWIW (not through the WM store in any case).

#49 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

@ZeroSignal: ahh well the other dude said he did and thats how he got it... did you spend your coupon for signing up for a yearly membership in the store?

#50 Posted by ZeroSignal (55 posts) -

@VicRattlehead: I haven't got my coupon yet actually :/