Hey duders will you give me an opinion on this?

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hey guys, I want to upgrade my POS laptop and i am considering this http://tinyurl.com/nhdpmu4

Im looking for a well rounded piece of hardware that can be used to play games also ( not primarily).

So what do you guys think? would you recommend to a friend of yours?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I've seen a lot of recommendations for this laptop in terms of a cost effective machine with some gaming capability. I say go for it.

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi

@quemador: It's not great or anything but you can certainly play some games on it at low/medium.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have a laptop with a 335m in it. You'll be fine.

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullpanda1: thanks, i dont plan on do heavy gaming on the things just the occasional pc exclusive game or the one that play better with mouse and keyboard.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ry_Ry

@quemador: my desktop has a GTX 470 and farcry 4 is very enjoyable.

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullpanda1: I've got a 470 too! I wanna upgrade soonish though. It's still a decent card after all these years somehow.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rollingzeppelin: I'll probably keep it for 2015. Can't really justify a new GPU yet with Bloodborne just around the corner on PS4.

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullpanda1: I haven't bought in to the new console market yet so I'll probably upgrade around the time the Witcher 3 comes out. I don't know what it is about these new consoles but nothing about them compels me to get one.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rollingzeppelin: I've really enjoyed the PS4 so far, but I can totally see where you are coming from. I'd probably be having just as much fun if I had updated my GPU.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By UncleBenny

this is not a bad deal, I got the same model but with 512gb SSD instead. weird thing is that not having touch screen with windows 8 feels weird.

I wish I played some games on it to let you know how it goes. I'll try playing some wow (which should be no problem) and some dynasty warriors tonight and let you know what I think of it, if I can remember to do so.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I'll just throw in my usual recommendation which is that I wouldn't personally recommend a laptop if you want to use it for gaming, because they tend to be more pricey and they don't have the versatility of easy upgrades in the future. I would almost be tempted to go for a decent desktop and then a basic laptop/tablet if you need one for portability. I've heard too many people I know say a year after buying a laptop that they wish they had a desktop.

That said, I understand that some people would rather just use a laptop, or don't want to mess around with two PCs, or don't have room for a desktop. It comes down to situation. So if you're very set on getting a gaming-capable laptop, then it seems like this one comes in fairly well recommended. As long as you aren't specifically after high performance and just want to have fun playing games, you'll probably be just fine.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just played dynasty warriors 8. the game's garbage in the fact that AI characters die easily and you get no checkpoint or saves with your stat increase. this game is too tedious to have the punishment for failure set that high.

the laptop is fine though, there a weird frame rate issue at spots, but it seems more of a japanese problem then the laptop.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Brendan

You could thoroughly enjoy plenty of last gen games for cheap from Steam with that laptop, at good settings. Current games will be a bit of a struggle.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the point of an 8gig SSD? It might be useful if you plan on running some small-footprint Linux distro, but no version of Windows nor indeed a lot of modern games will fit on that.

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@y2ken: yeah i dont plan on do heavy gaming on the machine, if i play any pc game would be some Tropico 3 or maybe some pc exclusive ( Diablo,indi games, maybe some RPG..etc) the machine will be use for everyday stuff most of the time.

@unclebenny: Hey thanks for the tip, how is the screen? i read some reviews saying is kinda lacking there...

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quemador: the screen is pretty lacking. the viewing angle is surprisingly limited considering the price of the unit and the brightness feels... odd. It's not a very good screen.

With that being said, it was fine once you get a good angle and is playing on the gamepad.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What is the point of an 8gig SSD? It might be useful if you plan on running some small-footprint Linux distro, but no version of Windows nor indeed a lot of modern games will fit on that.

Photoshop and Sony Vegas are two small programs that take forever to load.

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@corevi said:
@sinusoidal said:

Photoshop and Sony Vegas are two small programs that take forever to load.

It looks like it's one of those hybrid drives. I think they're supposed to improve speed by caching data to the SSD but everything I've read about them is that they're just a gimmick and the SSD is useless since the speed is still limited by the HDD.