Hey guys. Help me choose a TV.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By development

I'm waiting to fire up Bloodborne until I get a brand new, beautiful TV to play it on. I'm thinking of getting something between 40 and 50 inches, preferably LED, and wanna spend less than $500.00 USD. I browsed around at Best Buy and it seems this is very possible, but there are a lot of options and brands to choose from, and I don't keep up with the latest TV mumbo jumbo to the point where I could be paying extra for a marketing buzzword and not even know it. So help me, please.

Most of all, just let me know if LEDs really are all that great, and if there are any lines of BS I should watch out for when shopping.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always something that's worth keeping in mind: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/.

All those fancy SmartTV features can often cause a discernible amount of input lag when playing on them, and some brands do advertise being able to quiet it down when gaming, which is a good thing. And that's about all I remember from my TV hunt, which was about a year and a half ago now. Personally, I think Sony TVs are quite good (though I do have some weird interactions with the TV and my PSTV).

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By development

@mwng: Dang. That TV looks perfect for me, but no one's selling it in the US. Seems only the UK has it. Guess I'll keep researching these.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: Closest thing I could find on Amazon US was Sony KDL40W600B comes in a 48" version too. This review seemed to like it for gaming. Still, I'd take a look at some other stuff before deciding.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

I have a 42" Sony KDL-42W653 which I love. Great image quality and very low input lag -- in Game Mode it feels just as responsive as a CRT. Don't know what it costs in the US though.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

LED isn't the massive improvement over LCD that some seem to believe it is, but it is slightly better. The biggest benefit is that it makes for a thinner TV if you're going the wall-mounting route. Most new TVs are already LED anyway, though. It should be 1080p and over 120hz. There are serious diminishing returns on increased hz in terms of the cost/benefit ratio. I personally can't even tell the difference between a 240hz and 120hz TV. However, a 720p 60hz TV is visibly worse than a 1080p 120hz TV, so spring for the latter. Also, most TVs have some form of "motion" technology at this point. It will make things look more "clear" on first glance, but many (myself included) experience eye strain/headaches from extended viewing with it (perhaps corrective lens-related) and find that it makes things look jarring/artificial because the TV is basically correcting blur that naturally occurs in everyday vision. This is a 100% preference thing, but you should try looking at the same TV with and without the "motion" stuff on to see which you prefer. (I'm in the minority of disliking it, FWIW.) Also, you don't need 3D. At all. That was a brief fad which failed to gain steam, and is now a wholly irrelevant feature. Curved is the new fad, FWIW. And you don't need 4k yet at all.

Brand-wise, go with Samsung (or Sony Bravia). They'll typically cost the most because they're worth it. The only issue I've had with any of my TVs, which are now 8, 6, and 3 years old, respectively, was when the now-8-year-old Samsung had its board go out a few years ago. Samsung considered it a defect despite it being years out of the original warranty, and sent a dude out for free the next day to replace it. Good as new. Also, check the input situation. More is always better. Everything will have multiple HDMI inputs these days, but try to find one with several component cable inputs, at least one standard RGB input, and several audio inputs to allow for home theater stuff and multiple device hookups if/when necessary. Your LGs and Vizios typically skimp here. Samsung's cheaper models can as well, so just remain cognizant of your inputs so you aren't buying adapters/splitters or having to choose what to plug in later. Also consider your cable situation. "Smart TVs" can run Netflix, hulu, etc. these days if you don't have cable (or some go-between like chromecast), and most TVs will have this functionality built-in, but you might be able to save a few bucks and find one without it if this is something you won't use, so keep that in mind.

Go to a Best Buy, take some time looking at each, and find the one you think looks the best. Odds are it will be a Samsung, because they seem to always have the best contrast and most vibrant color palette. Many cheaper TVs will look washed-out by comparison, with blacks that look greyish and colors that look more pale. Samsungs are widely considered top-end TVs for good reason, and it helps to see the differences in person. Disregard all the gimmicky bullcrap. Every manufacturer tries to make their TV sound like it has some "feature" the others don't, which is rarely the case. It's largely just bullshit marketing. Look for 1080p, 120hz+, numerous inputs, and consider your cable/audio situation, and you'll come out fine. Also, don't be afraid to spend a little more if necessary. A $549 TV may well be much more than $50 better than the one at $499 in the long run. Setting price caps is a solid budgetary idea, but not if you end up with something crappy due to an arbitrary line you set that prevented you from getting a quality product of a marginal price difference.

Hope all this helps.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Got this Vizio 50" last December and really like it.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427: Dude, the TVs are curved. Curved. In all actuality there is something cool to that, although I wonder if it would look weird in the long run. Anyways it's not even an option since all those TVs are ridiculously expensive. The amount I set isn't arbitrary; it's all my budget allows for. I actually went to my local-ish Best Buy and didn't have the best success looking at the TVs. Some looked great, sure, but others that should have looked great looked like ass, since for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to play SD advertisements on 40-60 inch TVs. All those curved TVs looked be.a.utiful, though.

I have perfect vision, so I think I might get some use out of the steady-LED mode stuff, without worrying about eye strain.

With the advice here, I've gone ahead and bought the Sony KDL40W600B. I have a small room, so it'll be a good size, too. Now begins the lingering guttural regret I always get after spending a lot of money. Thanks for the tips, everyone! I have 3 jobs, so it helps to have some guidance and not have to do all the researching myself!

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By notnert427

@development said:

@notnert427: Dude, the TVs are curved. Curved. In all actuality there is something cool to that, although I wonder if it would look weird in the long run. Anyways it's not even an option since all those TVs are ridiculously expensive. The amount I set isn't arbitrary; it's all my budget allows for. I actually went to my local-ish Best Buy and didn't have the best success looking at the TVs. Some looked great, sure, but others that should have looked great looked like ass, since for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to play SD advertisements on 40-60 inch TVs. All those curved TVs looked be.a.utiful, though.

I have perfect vision, so I think I might get some use out of the steady-LED mode stuff, without worrying about eye strain.

With the advice here, I've gone ahead and bought the Sony KDL40W600B. I have a small room, so it'll be a good size, too. Now begins the lingering guttural regret I always get after spending a lot of money. Thanks for the tips, everyone! I have 3 jobs, so it helps to have some guidance and not have to do all the researching myself!

Solid choice. I have the KDL40V5100 in my man-cave. That TV has been incredibly robust, even with something plugged into every single input it has, and it still looks as good as it did the day I got it. Enjoy the new acquisition! Good TVs pay for themselves if you ask me.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I tend to just go with what The Wire Cutter says. I have two Samsung plasmas that I am happy with based on past Wire Cutter recommendations (I don't think Samsung is making plasma anymore though).

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

thewirecutter is a good resource.