Hey HDTV owners- unplug!

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Nate

Just thought I'd share this in the interest of saving you all a little money on your electric bill and also reducing your carbon footprint.  Last year I put all my computer stuff, and all my t.v. stuff (360, DVD, PS2, etc..) on power strips, and every night I just flip the power switch on the surge protector off. It's an easy way to go, rather than having to reach back and unplug everything. Anyway, stats vary depending on your source, but below you can get a good sense of why it matters, I think.

from http://solarphile.com/2008/05/01/do-you-unplug-your-hdtv/ 
According to Bob Elton of BC Hydro, newer TVs consume four times as much electricity as the older technology TVs.  Furthermore, if you have a digital box that’s plugged in all the time, 90% of the electricity consumed by your TV occurs when it’s not even in use.  Many of us have more than one TV in our homes.  Many of us are watching less TV and surfing the internet more.  With the release of ever-newer entertainment technologies, out plug loads are getting higher and higher.  Plug loads for consumer electronics have tripled over the last couple of decades and can make up almost 10-20% of our household energy consumption, after lighting, heating and cooling loads.

Knowing this and knowing that energy prices are set to continuing soaring in the foreseeable future, would you consider unplugging your TVs and computers and appliances when they’re not being used?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Scooper

I have a monitor that I use for my PC, 360 and for watching tv through my PC and my monitor on standby takes 0.6watts ^^. I switch all the plugs off when I go to bed though but only because there's a slight humming sound if I don't.

Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Smarter_Martyr

No Caption Provided
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ahriman22

I don't think so, too lazy :/ 
The power bar is so far away...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I always switch my TV off at the plug when I'm not using it. It's a huge waste of power leaving it on.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By rateoforange

Hoo. A thousand times no.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake

I don't unplug since my house has millions of them. The best I do is turn it off completely rather than leaving it on standby.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By zeforgotten

Meh, I don't really care. 
If me using a lot of power messes something up later on I'll just leave a note: 
"Hey kids, this is written to you by your dear old dad.. Sorry.. now clean up my mess"

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iam3green

meh, o well. in spring time we actually had a guy come do a test to see where the most power is coming from. we ended up getting different light bulbs. we unplugged different things to not waste electricity.

MrMuise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrMuise

I'm leaving all my electronics on from now on to make up for you eco friendly earth saving pansies! My carbon footprint is going right up the earths ass.