• 74 results
#51 Posted by Citizengamer (182 posts) -

@citizengamer said:

@mariachimacabre: Yeah, clumsy title. Point taken. Title is changed.

I had no intention of that being taken as "Change your title". I meant no ill will. Forgive me, sir.

Hah, no offense taken. If I kept "Metal Gear" in the title, would be better to make it "Metal Gear" Creator Hideo Kojima.

#52 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2149 posts) -
#53 Posted by OurSin_360 (842 posts) -

Never been a been mecha fan, i wonder if this movie will have good plot and acting? or just Robots punching Godzillas?

#54 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (582 posts) -

After seeing the first trailer I thought it looked terrible and the sneak-peaks of fight scenes were very unspectacular, but the more trailers that came out the better the footage and fighting looked! Actually stoked about this movie.

#55 Edited by Heltom92 (708 posts) -

Not really excited for the film. Massive CGI thing fighting other massive CGI thing doesn't really do it for me any more. I'll still probably watch at some point, if only because Charlie Hunnam and Idris Elba are cool mother fuckers.

#56 Posted by dudeglove (7740 posts) -

I... wait... what? Did a Cthulhu beast from the depths of the ocean just get smacked in the face by a mech with an oil tanker controlled by two people in Tron costumes? I am so sold.

#57 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2025 posts) -

I believe in Guillermo del Toro! He's done good by me between huge, critically acclaimed films such as Pan's Labyrinth and being executive producer of lesser known but still regarded horror films such as El Orfanato.

Also it sounds like he put a lot into Pacific Rim and is a film he has a huge personal investment in so I am definitely excited to see how it turns out. I'm glad Hideo Kojima gave it his blessing!

#58 Posted by MattGrant (122 posts) -

I had zero interest based on what little I knew before I saw the trailer yesterday, then I saw it and thought "Well, that looks fun-dumb. And Idris Elba."

As for Hideo Kojima waxing romantic about Gundam X Godzilla, no surprise there.

#59 Edited by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

I don't understand how someone COULDN'T like a movie featuring massive fucking robots fighting massive fucking kaiju! This looks like it's going to be so thoroughly badass that I can barely contain myself.

#60 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2093 posts) -

Well I hope this inspires Hideo to make Z.O.E 3.

#61 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

Add to those guys Rian Johnson, the dude what wrote and directed Brick and Looper on twitter.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/297856864555790336

"Go into Pacific Rim prepared to be transmogrified into a 12 year old. And then to pee your pants with joy. I love it so much."

I'm unreasonably excited for this movie, I've been trying real hard to not build it up in my mind too much but I've been pretty unsuccessful. I can't wait till friday.

@jakob187 said:

I don't understand how someone COULDN'T like a movie featuring massive fucking robots fighting massive fucking kaiju! This looks like it's going to be so thoroughly badass that I can barely contain myself.

Right?? A friend saw a trailer and was like "so it's just robots and monsters fighting?" and I didn't even know how to respond to that. Like that's a bad thing??

#62 Edited by probablytuna (3610 posts) -

I respect Guillermo del Toro very much but I just don't really like his films that much so I don't feel excited for Pacific Rim.

#63 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (1001 posts) -

The Telegraph's Tim Robey praised the film, stating: "At first, watching Pacific Rim feels like rediscovering a favourite childhood cartoon – but del Toro has flooded the project with such affection and artistry that, rather than smiling nostalgically, you find yourself enchanted all over again."[68]Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter gave the film a positive review, stating: "Guillermo del Toro's paradoxically derivative yet imaginative sci-fi epic is everything that monster movies since the beginning of time might have wished they could be."[69]Drew McWeeny of HitFix praised other aspects of the film: "The production design by Andrew Neskoromny and Carol Spier and the art direction by Elinor Rose Galbraith and Richard L. Johnson is masterful, and the film has an amazing, vivid palette that is captured perfectly by Guillermo Navarro's photography... It doesn't hurt that Ramin Djawadi has written a ridiculously cool score.[70]"The Guardian's Andrew Pulver was less enthusiastic, stating that the film's "wafer-thin psychodrama and plot-generator dialogue provides little for the human component to get their teeth into".[71]

Director Rian Johnson praised the film, saying: "Go into Pacific Rim prepared to be transmogrified into a 12 year old... I love it so much."[72] Japanese game director Hideo Kojima gave the film a six-post review on Twitter, calling it the "ultimate otaku film" and stating he "never imagined [he] would be fortunate enough to see a film like this in [his] life".[73] MusicianKanye West stated it was "easily one of [his] favorite movies of all time."[74]

#64 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2149 posts) -

Add to those guys Rian Johnson, the dude what wrote and directed Brick and Looper on twitter.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/297856864555790336

"Go into Pacific Rim prepared to be transmogrified into a 12 year old. And then to pee your pants with joy. I love it so much."

I'm unreasonably excited for this movie, I've been trying real hard to not build it up in my mind too much but I've been pretty unsuccessful. I can't wait till friday.

@jakob187 said:

Right?? A friend saw a trailer and was like "so it's just robots and monsters fighting?" and I didn't even know how to respond to that. Like that's a bad thing??

To be fair, shit garbage like Transformers has probably hurt robot action for a lot of people. I'm kind of done with large scale CGI action as well, but I'm still going to see this one, just for the talent behind it.

#65 Posted by Citizengamer (182 posts) -

The Telegraph's Tim Robey praised the film, stating: "At first, watching Pacific Rim feels like rediscovering a favourite childhood cartoon – but del Toro has flooded the project with such affection and artistry that, rather than smiling nostalgically, you find yourself enchanted all over again."[68]Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter gave the film a positive review, stating: "Guillermo del Toro's paradoxically derivative yet imaginative sci-fi epic is everything that monster movies since the beginning of time might have wished they could be."[69]Drew McWeeny of HitFix praised other aspects of the film: "The production design by Andrew Neskoromny and Carol Spier and the art direction by Elinor Rose Galbraith and Richard L. Johnson is masterful, and the film has an amazing, vivid palette that is captured perfectly by Guillermo Navarro's photography... It doesn't hurt that Ramin Djawadi has written a ridiculously cool score.[70]"The Guardian's Andrew Pulver was less enthusiastic, stating that the film's "wafer-thin psychodrama and plot-generator dialogue provides little for the human component to get their teeth into".[71]

Director Rian Johnson praised the film, saying: "Go into Pacific Rim prepared to be transmogrified into a 12 year old... I love it so much."[72] Japanese game director Hideo Kojima gave the film a six-post review on Twitter, calling it the "ultimate otaku film" and stating he "never imagined [he] would be fortunate enough to see a film like this in [his] life".[73] MusicianKanye West stated it was "easily one of [his] favorite movies of all time."[74]

First Rotten Tomatoes score came in at about 77% and it's been ticking upwards (83%) as more critics weigh in ... still early but seems promising.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pacific_rim_2013/

#66 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (1001 posts) -

@jonny_anonymous said:

First Rotten Tomatoes score came in at about 77% and it's been ticking upwards (83%) as more critics weigh in ... still early but seems promising.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pacific_rim_2013/

that's great, hopefully pepole around the world realise that giant monsters fighting giant robots can only be a good thing

#67 Posted by Reisz (1481 posts) -

I couldn't be more excited, the prospect of a successful giant robot movie opens the door for a bunch of things I would love to see.

#68 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

The most unfortunate part is no matter how good the movie is, it's pretty likely legions of people will see Grown Ups 2 instead. Because they are morons.

#69 Posted by CaLe (3955 posts) -

Yoji Shinkawa must have enjoyed it as well. He even made some poster art:

#70 Edited by ZolRoyce (659 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy:

Cynicism mode deactivated - rerouting power to cautiously optimistic bullshit theory mode.

Maybe, just maybe though, the moronic type of people who would see Grown Ups 2 would go to this movie instead because oh look shiny robots exploding shit, let us assume for a minute, that the same type of people who would see Grown Ups are the same type of people who also went to see, say, The Transformers movies. And is it safe to assume they went to see those movies because ohhh shiny explosions and robots! And haha that one robot peed on the people hi-laaaaaaarious! Maybe the portion of their brain would then also see the trailers for PR and go "Oh look, shiny and robots and explosions!" and therefore go and see it instead so they could sit there going "wooo explosions!" while the rest of us sit there and go, well okay we'll also be going 'wooooooo explosions' but also 'wooo story and world building and well done references to other things I like and great acting (Idris Elba all up in this movie, yes!)' thusly bringing the two demographics together to form one unstoppable force to make this movie a big big hit and to reveal Growns Up 2 as dumb ass shit.

Alright, I need to apply bandages to my butthole now for pulling that out of my ass so fast.

#71 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

Ok... i need to see this.

#72 Posted by AnotherSomebody (151 posts) -

I was mildly interested in going to see it but after Hideo's glowing endorsement I think I'll give it a go. I have nothing else going on this Friday so heyyyy...

#73 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

@zolroyce: I want to live in a world where that's true. I really do.

Unfortunately after all the "this is just a transformers rip of" business on twitter and whatnot I doubt it will be the case. I hope your butthole is ok.

#74 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3065 posts) -
#75 Edited by Geralt (318 posts) -

I just watched it an hour ago...if somewhere deep down inside you there's a 5 year old boy (especially an Asian 5 year old boy), this is the movie you've been waiting for your whole life.

It got everything man, every fucking thing.

#76 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

I am always a fan of giant mechs and I love del Toro's movies. I will definitely see this in 3D IMAX this weekend.