• 146 results
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Hiya, Bombers! Just wondering if you guys (and gals) had any movies that you hate (or feel indifferent towards) despite their high acclaim.  

Just a few of mine:  

• Lost in Translation- Not a bad movie, not by any stretch of the imagination. 
  • Collateral- I don't like Jamie Foxx, and I didn't particularly like Tom Cruise in this movie either. 
  • Brokeback Mountain- I can't place my finger on the reason for my ambivalence towards this movie. I just don't digg it as much as other people.

Feel free to post about your not so favorable movies, and remember to be civil. Not everybody likes the same thing^^
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Meowshi

No Country for Old Men. 
There Will Be Blood. 
Burn After Reading. 

I remember when these movies all started to come out and everyone loved them. 

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Brians

Bladerunner

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@CaLe: I'm actually watching Mulholland Drive right now >.<
Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Burns098356GX

Kill Bill- it sucked. hard. most anything from Quentin Tarantino is just god awful.
The Hurt Locker- i think people just wanted to like it so they could associate and feel bad for the real soldiers.  

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss
Heat. That three hour plus mess should've had a good editor cut it down to an hour and 45 minutes.

...then at least it would've been boring for a shorter amount of time.
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DrPockets000

The French Connection--just didn't agree with me 
Burton's Alice in Wonderland--Critics hated it, audiences loved it, I thought it was fucking horrible.  
3:10 to Yuma (remake)--not sure what didn't grab me, but I didn't exactly hate it either.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Meowshi said:
" No Country for Old Men. There Will Be Blood. Burn After Reading.  I remember when these movies all started to come out and everyone loved them.  "
I really love the first two, and dislike the 3rd. But I can definitely see where you're coming from. I change my opinion about NCFOM every time I see it.

Personally, I fucking hate Inland Empire. Lynch is alright, but his heinous pomposity really does my tits in.
eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By eristocrat

The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Star Wars: A New Hope and Return of the Jedi.

Kaineda77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kaineda77
@mylifeforAiur said:
Lost in Translation- Not a bad movie, not by any stretch of the imagination. 
I don't like that one either, I feel like I don't get why people like it so much. I find it strange that "The Shawhank Redemption" is the no 1 movie on imdb. It's not bad, but there are way better movies, e.g. Rocky IV. Also, I think the LOTR-movies are ok, not more.
JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11  Edited By JTB123

I don't see what the big deal is with District  9, it had some good ideas, but it seemed to be more concerned with being as gross as it possiblt could instead of focusing on those ideas.  

The Godfather also comes to mind, I just found it very boring.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@Kaineda77: I just feel like the whole movie is "hey look how different and weird Japan is". I do love Bill Murray though, but the movie doesn't go anywhere and kind of ends suddenly. Just my opinion though <___>
Empty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Empty

Garden State.  - I was pretty surprised at just what an amateur effort this was given the praise surrounding it at release and the comparisons to the brilliant Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The direction is filled with comically bad symbolism, with Zach Braff waking up near the start in an entirely white room to show how plain his life is, which happens right after a dream scene where he sits motionless as a plane crashes, and another where he has a shirt that matches the pattern of the wallpaper to show how he fits into the background; pointless use of slow-mo and scores of irritating shots of Braff just starring into the camera to beat you over the head telling you how miserable he is. The writing is dire, with Natalie Portman's character coming off as entirely false -- quirky for the sake of being so rather than a natural character -- and the number of lines of dialogue that will make you cringe is rather high. Some samples of the profundity you can expect: "listen to this song by the shins it'll totally change your life", "This isn't a fullstop, it's an ellipsis"   and "Good luck exploring the infinite abyss.", "You too". 

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By phrosnite
Lord of the Rings Trilogy - I could never watch more than 30min of each movie and get bored the death... I'm sorry ;( and the funny part is that I love fantasy.
Bladerunner- watched it an year go... it hasn't aged well. I can't see the appeal...
Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 
Avatar - I f-ing hate this movie.
And probably many, many more...
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead

I hate everyone.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fini_fly

Juno

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@HandsomeDead: Even George Clooney?^^
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By veektarius

I'd say that my top choice would be 2001.  It's alternatingly boring and opaque.  I would sooner watch the workmanlike mundanity that is 2011 over 2001 any day.   Not a huge fan of Kubrick in general.  While I like Full Metal Jacket (despite Modine) and give Dr. Strangelove the respect it deserves, my admiration for those movies is overshadowed for my disdain for A Clockwork Orange and Paths of Glory, which I hate much more than 2001 for the simplistic morality of their characters.  I don't feel they're as universally acclaimed, though.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oatz

There Will Be Blood, Kill Bill vol. 1 & 2.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mordukai

Shouldn't this be on Screened? Oh well.  

Rocky Horror Picture Show. 

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By Bigheart711
Juno and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I don't get why anyone liked these. >_<
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Xeiphyer
Avatar - Of course. It looked nice, but man... well... I think we all know why people don't like this movie by now.

Burn after Reading - Killing the best character off early makes me not care about the rest of the movie at all. Main characters were totally unlikable.

Bladerunner - Though I have a feeling its just because of how different a movie it is by todays standards, Its so boring!)  

The Hangover - Not funny at all. Stupid slapstick humour can be very funny when its accompanied by some witty humour to balance eachother,  but pure dumb shit is just terrible. It was just a random sequence of events that were supposed to be funny but they made no sense at all.
NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By NickM

Old Boy

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By nohthink

I'm so gonna be hated.

I've never liked Gladiator

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The Boondock Saints. I know it wasn't a hit with the critics, but everyone and their mother fuckin loves it over here in Boston. The first time I saw it I didn't mind it, but I just grew to hate what it stood for. Killing in the name of religion is OK as long as you're behind a cross. Fuck that.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gamefreak9

Avatar and Inception... waste of my time... 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HandsomeDead
@mylifeforAiur said:
" @HandsomeDead: Even George Clooney?^^ "
That man is a saint.
EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EvilDingo

No Country for Old Men 

And I have some kind of issue with classics like Bladerunner and Apocalypse Now... mainly that the versions you are able to get hold of today are extended Directors Cut versions. 
Both movies appeal to me... but their are just to damn long. I feel I would have liked the original versions. 

I think this holds true for most movies... Things cut from the original version were most likely justified.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gamefreak9
@Burns098356GX:  
To appreciate Tarantino you have to be a movie expert, you have no idea whats going on behind every shot... every line... he is the best director out there today... he has a unique spirit in his movies. Kill Bill is more than it seems, especially the first one. 
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NekuSakuraba
RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RavenX302

There are a lot of highly popular films that I may not like or have very little interest in, but truly the only movie that I have zero love for and is probably the WORST film I have ever set completely through was Avatar. I can accept when a film just isn't my speed for whatever reason, but god damn! that movie was fucking junk. The dialogue was so fucking bad that it was even funny bad. Also, all the stupid human mech and hover craft stuff looked like they were designed in the 80's or left over's from Cameron's Aliens film. 

I wasn't even going in ready to hate Avatar...I was willing to give it try no matter how much I feel James Cameron is a complete jack ass. I was actually quite surpised it was as bad as it was, as James Cameron, with T 1, T2, and True Lies, has shown he can make competent to great action films. Completely baffling how bad that movie was.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Oh man, so much of this thread makes me sad. I love many of these movies. :( 

That being said, I disliked Avatar and I think The Hurt Locker is overrated.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HandsomeDead
@gamefreak9 said:

" @Burns098356GX:  To appreciate Tarantino you have to be a movie expert, you have no idea whats going on behind every shot... every line... he is the best director out there today... he has a unique spirit in his movies. Kill Bill is more than it seems, especially the first one.  "

I don't think you could be any more wrong. Every shot is taken from somewhere else so if you do know about film, his movies becomes nothing but hack work.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to throw in 2001. I just didn't get it. The only segments that I found remotely interesting were the HAL scenes, because you know, they actually made fucking sense. It just came off as so artsy and smug. I feel like people cite it as a great movie just because it has Kubrick's name on it.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By smitty86

The Hurt Locker & Slumdog Millionaire are pretty good movies, but both received way too much praise. But the movies that I initially go to from this question are:
Lord of the Rings: stopped after the 1st one simply b/c of all the boring ass back story and step up - over 2 hours worth
Glengarry Glen Ross - all those great actors and zero interesting things going on
Blade Runner -watched it friends, keep watching for the amazing stuff to happen. it never did. (But this is the only movie I'm hell bent on seeing again just to figure out what it is I am missing about it)

And #1 Mystic River - An amazing movie if you only watch the 1st 70%. Then it turns into the biggest pile of shit I have ever seen. Anyone liked it completely ignored the completely horrific ending.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gamefreak9
@HandsomeDead:  
Its not taken from somewhere else... he is trying to make references to his fav movies. + the color coding in Kil Bill was off the charts. Btw i go to film courses regularly, i am not the biggest expert but i have a better than average understanding of cinematography. 
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Sambambo
@Mordukai said:

" Shouldn't this be on Screened?"

This is off topic chat, so no, it shouldn't be.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38  Edited By KaosAngel
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39  Edited By KaosAngel

Why doesn't it stop spinning...it makes no sense.  
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, people really hate movies here.

Also, I'll say this concering Kill Bill: I fucking hated it for the longest time, but recently watched both back to back. It worked far better than I ever remembered it doing, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe some of you peeps should try the same.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HandsomeDead
@gamefreak9: What you study makes no difference. You look at a film like Reservoir Dogs and it's near enough a full remake of City on Fire with the naming conventions of ...Pelham 123. That film is great, until you see hong kong cinema, 70s action; the stuff Tarantino is referencing and it makes the film look more like a collage of references than a stand alone unit. Same with Kill Bill. The use of colour is pretty much the only interesting thing about that entire franchise.
ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ozzdog12
Avatar and any of the Star Wars movies(yes all 6)
Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sogeman
@CaLe said:
" The Korean movie 'Old Boy' .. Never understood why people liked it so much.
Is there a block button here? Where is my block button?? XD
SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SumDeus
@CaLe:  Oldboy and Mulholland Drive are two of my favorite movies next to Clerks, Spirited Away, and There Will Be Blood.
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By ThePickle

Zodiac

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By gamefreak9
@HandsomeDead:  
Its not really my study area, i just attend them. I don't really understand what you don't like about him... collage? other words he is not original? who is? you gotta remember that he writes his own stuff, what modern director writes his own stuff and manages for it be creative? Anyways the renegade style he brings out his characters is also original. 
badwhodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By badwhodo

Crash, Avatar, There Will Be Blood

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HandsomeDead
@gamefreak9: In other words, he writes scenes, not movies. Inglourious Basterds started out with that fantastic scene of Christoph Waltz interrogating the guy in the shack. The film was a mess, but that scene was gold and it' no surprise that some of the worst parts were the bits where he's overtly referencing other material. I've never cringed as much as the scene where Zoller and the woman who worked in the cinema discuss silent French movies because that's Tarantino essentially bragging. There's plenty of writer/directors out there who produce better stuff than Tarantino: Soderbergh, Mann, the Coens, Mamet, Nolan and many, many others. It's funny how people rip James Cameron to pieces for telling an old fashioned adventure in Avatar but no one cares when Tarantino does the same thing with his 'homages.' Also, attitude is nothing new. American cinema may have been emasculated in the past 20 years but just look at the movies of Clint Eastwood, John Wayne and even earlier stuff with Humphrey Bogart and you'll find more 'renegade style' than anything Samuel Jackson has ever done.
ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ape_dosmil
@badwhodo said:

" Crash, Avatar, There Will Be Blood "

David Cronenberg's Crash or the movie with Sandra Bullock?