History of the NXE Avatars

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

Edited By JackiJinx

There's a very interesting article up on Kotaku about the creation of 360's avatar system. All those heart wrenching, gut turning details are included, such as the fact that, although Miis came out first, Rare had been hard at work on the system prior to Nintendo's revolutionary revelation. Such as the Lee Musgrave, the basic head for avatar design, states:

"We kicked the idea about internally, did some very scant groundwork on the kind of technical work that would be required to get something like this to work, flung a few emails about our thoughts across the Atlantic [to Microsoft's head offices in Redmond, Washington]...and then Nintendo announced Miis".
Naturally, Nintendo's product intensified Rare's drive, and today, we have NXE avatars. Sweet.

It was this little piece caught my attention.
As for what the Avatars wear, Musgrave says that, rather than attempt to dress the Avatars themselves, Rare enlisted the services of a number of fashion consultants. These fashionistas helped Rare "put together hundreds of pieces of visual reference from all kinds of fashion styles and genres", which Rare then modeled and modified to fit the Avatar's art style.
Really explains why every avatar looks straight out of an Abercrombie and Fitch catalog. Not that I'm complaining, no. Could've been based off something much worse.

Oddly enough, I was just listening to a podcast discussing the bizarre history of Barbie, which, if you're not familiar, apparently stems from miniature, German sex dolls. That little piece can be checked that out here, with an article all about such a joy, here.

So the big question is this: do you believe that the NXE avatars should've been based on blow-up dolls instead?
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JackiJinx

There's a very interesting article up on Kotaku about the creation of 360's avatar system. All those heart wrenching, gut turning details are included, such as the fact that, although Miis came out first, Rare had been hard at work on the system prior to Nintendo's revolutionary revelation. Such as the Lee Musgrave, the basic head for avatar design, states:

"We kicked the idea about internally, did some very scant groundwork on the kind of technical work that would be required to get something like this to work, flung a few emails about our thoughts across the Atlantic [to Microsoft's head offices in Redmond, Washington]...and then Nintendo announced Miis".
Naturally, Nintendo's product intensified Rare's drive, and today, we have NXE avatars. Sweet.

It was this little piece caught my attention.
As for what the Avatars wear, Musgrave says that, rather than attempt to dress the Avatars themselves, Rare enlisted the services of a number of fashion consultants. These fashionistas helped Rare "put together hundreds of pieces of visual reference from all kinds of fashion styles and genres", which Rare then modeled and modified to fit the Avatar's art style.
Really explains why every avatar looks straight out of an Abercrombie and Fitch catalog. Not that I'm complaining, no. Could've been based off something much worse.

Oddly enough, I was just listening to a podcast discussing the bizarre history of Barbie, which, if you're not familiar, apparently stems from miniature, German sex dolls. That little piece can be checked that out here, with an article all about such a joy, here.

So the big question is this: do you believe that the NXE avatars should've been based on blow-up dolls instead?
DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DECA555

i believe the NXE is a step backwards for the 360. And they totally ripped off the miis no matter what those assholes at rare say. How long does it take to come out with an avatar system if you have been working on it for that long?

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By DragoonKain1687

You know, as a kid I was ALSO thinking about Miis, and NXE Avatars ...
Yeah, that was sarcasm. People today would believe any propaganda they are thrown.

In the end, it doesnt matter for how long you have been building an idea, all that it matters is who published it first.
Also, its very easy to say: "I came up with the idea first". Correct me if Im wrong.

PD: Yeah, I heard that about Barbie dolls during a documentary done on their anniv

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By RetroIce4

That big question of yours... No. That would have been weird. Well I don't actually care, but I would laugh at that if it was true.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, I still think they're pretty lame. I've always felt like Miis didn't give me enough options, however, they blow the 360 avatars away. Miis have customizable facial features, which can lead to a whole lot of variety and some even some very creative Miis. The 360 avatars lack this entirely, and most of the customization comes in the form of lame clothes.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator
Is it just me or do both the Quotes in this blog read:

End_Boss said:
You're weird, Jackie.NAW, JUST KIDDIN'.Checked out the game, found it kind of... Pointless. However, I'm admittedly biased to most things ... [more]

....WTF?!?
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mike
Sweep said:
Is it just me or do both the Quotes in this blog read:End_Boss said: You're weird, Jackie.NAW, JUST KIDDIN'.Checked out ... [more]
Yeah, something is wrong here...WTF indeed.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JackiJinx
@MB: Not sure what happened there, but I believe I fixed it.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By penguindust
JackiJinx said:
There's a very interesting article up on Kotaku about the creation of 360's avatar system. All those heart wrenching, gut ... [more]
Blow up dolls? Nah, real dolls...oh, baby.  "I can't join your team deathmatch, I'm playing with my avatar."
1 vs 100?  Sounds, like a party to me!
1 vs 100? Sounds, like a party to me!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

At first I thought they were cool, but now I just want them gone. I can't look at any of the Xbox news at the new dashboard (which I wish would also go away) without seeing one of the guys standing there smiling at me. Just stop it already!