• 71 results
#51 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I don't know how you feel about subtitles and foreign movies, so I'll try to recommend as much as I can from all the subgenres I enjoy. Hailinel has already mentioned a lot of highly-regarded Asian horror movies (though I found both Marebito and Noroi very boring, even though I love slow burning Asian horror), but unfortunately I don't have much information on pretty much any of the foreign horror listed on Netflix (have yet to get to them myself). I will vouch personally for Grave Encounters 2. It is worse than the original, but I still found it very compelling. Re-animator is incredible if you haven't seen it, though it has aged considerably. Pulse (the Japanese original, not the godawful remake) is relatively creepy, but it is one of the slowest burns I have ever seen. For the most part Netflix has a pretty shitty horror collection, unless you're coming in to watch funny and terribly bad B movies (which is great from time to time). But it has Antichrist, which is fucked up and should be watched.

If you have yet to see American Horror story, do so. It is on Amazon and Netflix both. That's about it for Amazon, as their layout is so shitty its not very enjoyable to go digging for movies. If you decide to watch some movies online or acquire some stuff to watch, I reccommend Shutter (the Thai original, please god not the remake), The Strangers (one of the best modern horror movies to come out of the west), and Insidious. The Exorcist is available to stream through one of the two and its GREAT.

And I hope you like shit, because Poultrygeist, Dark Watch, and Tales From the Hood are that x10.

#52 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I don't know how you feel about subtitles and foreign movies, so I'll try to recommend as much as I can from all the subgenres I enjoy. Hailinel has already mentioned a lot of highly-regarded Asian horror movies (though I found both Marebito and Noroi very boring, even though I love slow burning Asian horror), but unfortunately I don't have much information on pretty much any of the foreign horror listed on Netflix (have yet to get to them myself). I will vouch personally for Grave Encounters 2. It is worse than the original, but I still found it very compelling. Re-animator is incredible if you haven't seen it, though it has aged considerably. Pulse (the Japanese original, not the godawful remake) is relatively creepy, but it is one of the slowest burns I have ever seen. For the most part Netflix has a pretty shitty horror collection, unless you're coming in to watch funny and terribly bad B movies (which is great from time to time). But it has Antichrist, which is fucked up and should be watched.

If you have yet to see American Horror story, do so. It is on Amazon and Netflix both. That's about it for Amazon, as their layout is so shitty its not very enjoyable to go digging for movies. If you decide to watch some movies online or acquire some stuff to watch, I reccommend Shutter (the Thai original, please god not the remake), The Strangers (one of the best modern horror movies to come out of the west), and Insidious. The Exorcist is available to stream through one of the two and its GREAT.

And I hope you like shit, because Poultrygeist, Dark Watch, and Tales From the Hood are that x10.

#53 Posted by teh_destroyer (3567 posts) -

The Conjuring should be out by then. Its a fun watch.

#54 Edited by teh_destroyer (3567 posts) -

#55 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3153 posts) -

Comes out October 22 (in the US), so definitely pick that one.

#56 Posted by TheThirdRLM (148 posts) -

Here's what I've come up with for this year!!
http://t.co/PsXX4MRlFY

Thanks for all the contributions, guys. I've got enough left over to start for next year now!!

#57 Posted by SunBroZak (1116 posts) -

Here's what I've come up with for this year!!

http://t.co/PsXX4MRlFY

Thanks for all the contributions, guys. I've got enough left over to start for next year now!!

First off: that's a pretty cool list. The inclusion of Lost Boys makes me happy. And secondly, your art is great! I wish I could do that sorta thing, alas I've got a way to go yet.

#58 Posted by TheThirdRLM (148 posts) -

@sunbrozak: THANKS, MAN!! I feel just as out of sorts when I see some of the stuff the GB community puts out though. I believe in you!

And yeah!! I like the lineup on this year's list.

#59 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -

Attack the Block is a really fun monster movie. It's much more suspenseful and action oriented but it could be a nice change of pace. Splice is another good monster movie but is way more creepy than scary. The new Evil Dead remake was really good and scary. The only movie I demand that you see is Cabin in the Woods. It is a really fun twist on the horror genre and one of my favorite movies in a long time.

#60 Posted by TheThirdRLM (148 posts) -

@metric_outlaw: Cabin in the Woods I mistakenly watched September of last year. It would have been a great October movie. And man, its my all-time favorite horror movie now.

#61 Posted by SunBroZak (1116 posts) -

@sunbrozak:

THANKS, MAN!! I feel just as out of sorts when I see some of the stuff the GB community puts out though. I believe in you!

And yeah!! I like the lineup on this year's list.

Oh, I wouldn't let that stop you from sharing. Your stuff has some real character to it, a good sense of style. It'd be cool to see more.

#62 Posted by TheThirdRLM (148 posts) -

@sunbrozak: Thanks!! That means a lot!! I'll actually be uploading more because I have a monster/myth themed gallery to make some fresh work for on Nov 1. Hopefully, all of this horror stuff over the next few weeks will get my inspiration bubbling.

#63 Posted by spraynardtatum (2953 posts) -

Check out Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer if you haven't yet. It's a young Michael Rooker and probably one of the most terrifying and disturbing movies I've ever seen.

#64 Posted by Jeust (10648 posts) -

Fragile

The Orphanage

#65 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5511 posts) -

Grave Encounters, Incident at Lake County, and The Bay were all fun recent watches.

#66 Posted by SunBroZak (1116 posts) -

@sunbrozak: Thanks!! That means a lot!! I'll actually be uploading more because I have a monster/myth themed gallery to make some fresh work for on Nov 1. Hopefully, all of this horror stuff over the next few weeks will get my inspiration bubbling.

Cool, cool. I'll stalk your page then, for updates. ;P

Anyway, to get back on topic, I'll start off October with a mild horror film I think. I scare fairly easily, so I best save the scares for another time. Probably going to go with an Evil Dead film - or Army of Darkness.

#67 Posted by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

If you have any love for the Child's Play franchise, Curse of Chucky is SO much better than a direct-to-video "back to the roots" sequel has any right to be. It's seriously the best in the series since the first one, and I feel bad for giving in and watching the leak.

#68 Edited by tourgen (4500 posts) -

I always liked Event Horizon. Not sure how scary it really is though.

#69 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

I saw this movie recently, and I thought to myself ''damn this movie will piss off alot of feminist''. Anyway the movie is called I spit on your grave 2.

Some nut bustin action going on (literally) Girl gets brutally raped, tortured, beaten, drugged, pissed-on, it was abit disturbing, but she gets free and gets the courage to get revenge on her attackers. I saw the unrated version, and yeah alot of people will hate this movie.

I found it to be entertaining and predictable, but anyway I saw that the first movie was a remake of an old movie from 1979, but even back then the movie had a very negative reception.

#70 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3153 posts) -

I saw this movie recently, and I thought to myself ''damn this movie will piss off alot of feminist''. Anyway the movie is called I spit on your grave 2.

Some nut bustin action going on (literally) Girl gets brutally raped, tortured, beaten, drugged, pissed-on, it was abit disturbing, but she gets free and gets the courage to get revenge on her attackers. I saw the unrated version, and yeah alot of people will hate this movie.

I found it to be entertaining and predictable, but anyway I saw that the first movie was a remake of an old movie from 1979, but even back then the movie had a very negative reception.

I've only seen the original one and thought it was okay.

#71 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

is this the only "31 days of horror" type thread we have going? thought we would have something more official as a community. Anyway, im trying to do the whole 31 movies in 31 days thing this year, I started 2 days late but am up to 4 movies so just need 1 more to catch up. Here's what I have so far:

Event Horizon - re-watch even tho I'm trying to keep it to movies I havent seen, but the last time I saw this one was when it came out so I barely remembered any of it. Still really good, even if its nowhere near as disturbing as I remember from when I was a kid.

Pandorum - keeping with the spaceship horror theme, Pandorum was up next and its...alright. Its fine, nothing special, but not bad, I liked the setting and look of the movie, the story was cool, just the straight-out-of-Rage monsters did nothing for me.

The Hills Run Red - friend had been bugging me to watch this for ages now, finally saw it and I enjoyed it. Its a cool premise with a nice twist on the slasher genre, and the killer looks (and sounds, if you saw the movie you know what I mean) creepy as shit

Sinister - probably my favorite so far, at least from the ones I hadnt seen, just a overall great horror movie. Well at least great modern horror movie. Nice pacing, creepy set peices, cool story. Again, as moden horror movies go, one of the best ive seen in awhile

#72 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

ill keep this thread alive myself damn it :P Just caught up, 6 movies on day 6th (and now i will pass that because im on a roll). latest two:

I Spit On Your Grave (remake) - Shockingly good, I am truly baffled at how much I enjoyed it, I was expecting pure shit. It was fucking unconfortable when it had to be, and fucking brutal again, when it had to be. It does exactly what it sets out to do, great cast of assholes you hate from the get go, well shot, doesnt overstay its welcome... yeah, again, im shocked how much I liked it (which maybe is a little weird lol). I hear the sequel is also good too.

Intruders - It was alright, the ending kinda ruined it for me... very "fairytail-y", almost to the point where its not a horror movie. I love clive owen, and I was enjoying the dual stories thing, but like I said, the ending and how it wrapped up was pretty meh.

#73 Posted by SunBroZak (1116 posts) -
@rhaknar said:

Sinister - probably my favorite so far, at least from the ones I hadnt seen, just a overall great horror movie. Well at least great modern horror movie. Nice pacing, creepy set peices, cool story. Again, as moden horror movies go, one of the best ive seen in awhile

Really looking forward to checking that out, though I'm trying to get the classics out of the way before I start the newer stuff. Speaking of which, I watched my first batch of horror films last night. That being Army of Darkness, Halloween (1978) and Hellraiser (1987).

I barely count Army of Darkness as a horror film, but it was still a great watch. I'm a big fan of the Evil Dead films, and while I don't think Army of Darkness succeeds them, it was definitely an entertaining twist on the story of Ash Williams.

This being the first time I watched a Halloween film in it's entirety, I quite liked it. Some cool long-lasting shots of the killer watching from a distance. I felt they relied on that a little too heavily, but for an older film it kept my attention.

I've always been reluctant to check out the Hellraiser films, and in watching it, I know why. The brand of horror that's on show in the first film just gets under my skin. I'm not a huge fan of super-grotesque horror, and there's a fair amount of that in this film. I'll probably watch some of the more modern Hellraiser films to compare, but I'm not looking forward to it.

#74 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

1 more today, and now Im 7 movies in 6 days (well technically in 4 days since I started on the 2nd) so I need to slow down, but this one was a goodie!

Feast - oh boy this was fun. Reminds me a lot of from dusk till dawn, just a simple premise, bunch of people stuck in a bar fending off monsters. where do the monsters come from? Who knows, who cares, thats not the point. Its that kind of movie. Lots of old-school gore (the slimy kind if you know what I mean), unexpected deaths, monster-puppetery galore... yeah this was good :) Highly recomended for some silly gore filled fun. Also like From Dusk Till Dawn it has 2 sequels, which I dont think I will bother with, I bet they are not very good (like the from dusk series). But if someone has seen the sequels and Im wrong feel free to correct me :)