• 57 results
Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2964 posts) 4 months, 22 days ago

Poll: Hot Dogs (Frankfurters or wieners) - How They Should Be Cooked (206 votes)

Grilled...always grilled...even in winter 48%
Boiled : Or, Irish sauté, where if it ain't boiled it ain't cooked! (Corned Beef, Potatoes, everything!) 12%
Pan Fried : (whole or in-half) 9%
Microwaved : it's about speed son! 7%
'Micro-Kettle Deep Fried' w/ Mango Salsa on top [...You damn Hipster!] 0%
Grilled or boiled, but I don't really care 19%
Steamed : like a ballpark dog 3%
Other : oh, yes, please explain you malcontents 2%
#1 Posted by mosespippy (4373 posts) -

I think you mean durgers.

#2 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1472 posts) -

Always grilled over charcoal, its the only acceptable cooking method. You could cook it on a skillet if you are short on time though, or its aweful outside. Cant stand boiled dogs, those people are terrible

#3 Edited by SharkEthic (1062 posts) -

Grilled if at all possible, and that goes for most meats.

#4 Posted by Krevee (51 posts) -

Grilled, boiled, pan fried, any of those work. I just never microwave them. I find it odd, and when I microwave food it seems to get cold faster.

#5 Posted by Sbaitso (558 posts) -

I have never understood why people like boiled hot dogs. I'm sorry.

#6 Edited by Corevi (4421 posts) -

I prefer grilled but I don't have a barbecue so boiled usually.

#7 Edited by Itwongo (1235 posts) -

Grill em godammit! Wet hot wieners begone! Pan fry's alright too!

#8 Posted by Getz (3140 posts) -

grilled is really the way to go, but most of the time I don't feel like lighting up the grill just to have a hot dog. Pan-fried is the way to go as second best and most convenient.

Fuck boiled hot-dogs, and fuck ketchup.

#9 Posted by helvetica (126 posts) -

I will take a tube steak any way but microwaved. I microwaved a fat free hot dog once and it blew all the fuses in my dorm room. I ate the hot dog but it wasn't worth it the trouble.

#10 Edited by RioStarwind (575 posts) -

Boiled since we don't have a grill. Even if we had a choice it would still be a mix between the two.

#11 Posted by FateOfNever (1855 posts) -

Have to go with grilled. Honestly it never even occurred to me to pan fry a hotdog though. I'm going to have to try that next time. My family used to just boil them all the time, and as I got older, have to say, boiled hot dogs are disgusting.

#12 Posted by dudeglove (8149 posts) -

wtf, people seriously boil these things?

#13 Posted by BonOrbitz (2243 posts) -

I love a good grilled red hot! I think I'm going to make some today.

#14 Edited by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

Hot Dogs & Hot Links - Boiled or grilled

Common Breakfast Meats - Fried or Broiled

Every other sausage type - grilled.

#15 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

"Micro-Kettle Deep Fried"? What does that even mean?

#16 Posted by wrecks (2304 posts) -

Grilled. If no grill, boiled. If no stove, nuked. If no microwave, raw dog.

#17 Posted by Wiseblood (655 posts) -

In a toaster of course:

#18 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

@wrecks said:

Grilled. If no grill, boiled. If no stove, nuked. If no microwave, raw dog.

Now that's something I would never do for some reason, I can't.

#19 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2964 posts) -

Bacon Wrapped Cheese Hot Dogs

Ingredients

• 8 hot dogs
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese
  • 16 slices bacon, pre-cooked
  • 8 hot dog buns, toasted

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450º or Fire Up the Grill. Slice each hot dog lengthwise down the middle almost, but not all the way through. Fill the pocket with a little shredded cheese. (I used Shredded Colby Monterey Jack.)
  2. Wrap the hot dog with two slices of thin-sliced, pre-cooked bacon...or screw it just slap some raw bacon on the bad-boy! Secure bacon with toothpicks if necessary.
  3. Bake/grill approximately 10 minutes until cheese is melted and bacon and hot dog are hot. When you look at it, you should think....America!
#20 Posted by GiantLizardKing (529 posts) -

What kind of a filthy savage would boil a hot dog?

#21 Posted by Steadying (1416 posts) -
#22 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2964 posts) -

What kind of a filthy savage would boil a hot dog?

Well, 90% of hot dog carts, baseball parks, delicatessens use a steam table to cook your dog...which is basically boiling. I might add the WORLD FAMOUS Fenway Frank - served at none other than Fenway Park - is boiled and then grilled.

#23 Edited by GiantLizardKing (529 posts) -
#24 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2964 posts) -

@monkeyking1969: just making fun of Jeff, guys.

I hear if you say Jeff's name three times in front of a mirror he shows up behind you and hits you with a decade old can of energy drink....ITS TRUE!!!!

#25 Posted by mlarrabee (3030 posts) -

@krevee said:

Grilled, boiled, pan fried, any of those work. I just never microwave them. I find it odd, and when I microwave food it seems to get cold faster.

What is that phenomenon?! It seems to defy physics but it's indisputably true!

#26 Posted by noboners (101 posts) -

I'm not a big dog fan and maybe that's where my ignorance comes from but I really had no clue boiling was an option.

Boiling meats seems like the wrong way to do things.

#27 Posted by FinalDasa (1977 posts) -

Grilled when possible.

Boiled when you can't grill.

Microwave when you only need to.

#28 Posted by crithon (3441 posts) -

grilled, when the skin pops open and there's another layer exposed, that's when you know it's good.

#29 Posted by Sergio (2192 posts) -

Grilled or pan fried. I need a good char on that dog. Boiled makes sense for concession stands, but if you're at home, it's ridiculous. You might as well sous vide your hotdog.

#30 Posted by Aristotled (38 posts) -

Smoked Hot Dogs with Mesquite Wood spiral the dog with Jalapenos in the spiral while smoking.... holy shit man. Or you could just get like Jalapeno Sausage or something instead

#31 Posted by DorkyMohr (184 posts) -

I voted for microwave even though I can recognize that they taste better off the grill. My reasoning is that for such a low quality sausage, people ascribe a lot of promise to hot dogs. The actual quality you get out of a on-the-gril hotdog doesn't validate the work you put into it. Therefore, hot dogs should only be introduced in the event that you're already grilling other things and want something for your guests to be able to eat as an appetizer. Grilling buns is a fools errand and the only thing that enters my mind is the Grecian lore of Sysyfus pushing a large boulder up a hill only to repeat the task forever.

#32 Posted by Dalai (7057 posts) -

Grilled or pan-fried if grilling is not an option. And cook the hot dog until it matches the color of the charcoal. Burn those durgers!

And boiling hot dogs is for terrorists and Canadians.

#33 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Grilled if possible. Boiled is perfectly acceptable when convenient. Certain types of bratwurst I actually prefer boiled over grilled. I don't care for pan fried.

I will microwave a hotdog if I must but that's absolutely suboptimal dog preparation.

#34 Edited by Slag (4734 posts) -

Ballpark Dogs are the best dogs

#35 Posted by Krevee (51 posts) -
#36 Edited by SomeguyJohnson (57 posts) -

Just enough water to barely cover half of the bottom of the skillet, high heat until the water evaporates and then a tablespoon of butter to crisp the outside. Best fucking hotdogs ever.

#37 Posted by SgtSphynx (1537 posts) -

@wiseblood: How have I not seen that video before?

#38 Posted by Deadmanforking (579 posts) -

It really depends on my level of commitment to the Hot Dog at that particular time. Also, the brand or type of Dog depends heavily on my cooking method.

#39 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2964 posts) -

Cook that dog with SCIENCE!!!!
http://www.oberlin.edu/physics/catalog/demonstrations/em/hotdog.html

#40 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Shot through the core of the sun.

#41 Posted by Marcsman (3259 posts) -

Grilled of course.

#42 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2964 posts) -

The best way is of course to place the hot dog in a Rail gun sabot. The fired sabot ar hyper sonic velocities creates heat at the wave-front of sabot and air. Then the sabot 40 miles down range a series of sacrificial 'ribbon parachutes' slow the projectile down to to the point where the sabot loses forward velocity. The sabot falls harmlessly...but deliciously.. to the ground. All the is left is to take the now HOT dog out of the sabot to be consumed.

That's how Tony Stark would do it, that's how America should do it, and it *might* worked out pretty well ...

#43 Posted by Gantrathor (230 posts) -

People who boil hot dogs deserve.... Well, I don't know what they deserve. But whatever it is, it ain't good.

#44 Posted by Zelyre (1260 posts) -

Depends on the kind of hot dog. I like the all-beef kosher ones steamed and served Chicago style.

The Chocolate Cake Shake used to be a secret menu item at Portillo's. Since that's now on the menu, I think I'll try to make a large cup of hot dog water the next secret menu item.

#45 Posted by Killroycantkill (1421 posts) -

If given the choice I will always take grilled.

#46 Edited by MightyDuck (1524 posts) -

Grilled are always my favorite. Steamed aren't bad either.

Mandatory toppings - THE CHICAGO WAY!

• Mustard
  • Relish
  • Seasoning Salt
  • Pickle
  • Onion
  • Tomato
  • Sport Pepper
#47 Edited by Corvak (1160 posts) -

Boiled....but only because my landlord has a strict rule against putting a grill inside the building. (probably because I would fill the place with smoke and light it on fire. Probably.)

#48 Posted by hermes (1589 posts) -

I am a big hotdogs fan, but I have never eaten them other than boiled or steamed.

Never tasted a grilled hotdog. I guess I am missing out on something...

#49 Edited by 71Ranchero (2796 posts) -

Grilled or pan fried. My parents worked hard so that I would never have to eat boiled hot dogs.

#50 Posted by Veektarius (4983 posts) -

In an ideal world, all hot dogs would be Italian sausage.