SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Ahh... god.  I actually did...well?
I have one more day to go, but science is the hardest, which I just have to get a 85 (i know my shit though).  

I just got a 89 in spanish though (as my grade-but a A on the test).  God damn.  Now it's a question of whether or not she'll bump me a point.  I'm technically at a 88.50443, which, well....she sees it as a 89 and can't tell the difference, but most teachers seem to be willing to do that.  I had a 84 about 4 weeks ago though, did well these final weeks. 

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Carlos1408

Well mine have just barely started and end the 17th of June (I do A-levels, BRitish System)...They're going allright so far, I feel good about them...But I dont find out what I got till about 20th of August...
Yeap can't wait till school is over forever! :D
Then it's off to UNI DUDE!!!
Edit: what system do you follow?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

United States.  
69 and below : F
70-75: D
75-79: C
80-89: B
90+ = A

I'll get a 4.5 GPA this semester (haven't looked how it'll average into the whole) assuming I do get that A in spanish.
Next semester though I have all AP classes, so that should be interesting.  From my little past experience, it seems like while there's more stuff to learn, it's easier to absorb it in those. I've had quite a few AP equivelant weighted classes (analysis, spanish 4, spanish culture, etc.) but not many actual AP classes, although I have.  I've taken AP exams in a class I don't even have yet.  Haven't got the grade back yet though.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

I don't know what you're talking about Smug.

100-97 = A+
96-94 = A
93-90 = A-
89-87 = B+
86-84 = B
83-80 = B-
79-77 = C+
76-74 = C
73-70 = C-
69-67 = D+
66-64 = D
63-60 = D-
60< = F
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Jayge said:
I don't know what you're talking about Smug.100-97 = A+96-94 = A93-90 = A-89-87 = B+86-84 = B83-80 = B-79-77 ... [more]

We don't do + nor -s in my school, don't assume that's how it is everywhere in the US.
A= 4
B= 3
C= 2
D= 1
F= 0

+1 for AP or select classes, +.5 for honor classes
You know, that is how colleges work that recaculate GPAs.  The better colleges will only give you +.5 credit for AP classes though.

I'm not too familiar with it, but I believe the +,- system makes GPA overall higher as a A- is worth 4.0.
This isn't an application, but Georgia Tech weights high school transcripts the same way as the attendees, with the exception of AP classes (+.5)
http://www.registrar.gatech.edu/students/gradingsystem.php
thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thegoldencat7

Thank christ Ive already done all that mince. Im British so I did A-levels. I presume theyre comparable.
Still got end of year uni exams to prepare for right enough. The fun never ends.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jayge_
SmugDarkLoser said:
Jayge said: I don't know what you're talking about Smug.100-97 = A+96-94 = A93-90 = A-89-87 = B+86-84 = B83-80 ... [more]
The same applies to you, although I'm pretty sure the scale I listed is way more common.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Jayge said:
SmugDarkLoser said: Jayge said: I don't know what you're talking about Smug.100-97 = A+96-94 = A93-90 = A-89-87 = B+86-84 ... [more]

I never assumed it was.
+,-s is more common. That being said, my high school is very college oriented has tons of AP classes and whatnot, and therefore goes by the typical college scale.  I think it's something like 95% of people in my school go to college.  That being said though, in lots of high schools, there's no difference in GPA between a A- and a A+.  Although some do, and it can range from 3.5 for a A- to a 4.5 for a A+.

What's the brit system exactly?  

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Carlos1408

Well in the A level (brit. system) you usually do about 3 to 4 subjects (if you do 4 you usually drop one your last year of school, oh yea and it's a 2 year course which are your last 2 of school usually), some crazy people do 5 or more...but all you need to for most unis is 3 subjects...
Every subject has 6 units, and the Grading goes from U to E to D to C to B to A ( U is ungraded, basically fail, E is a fail too,)
You do an exam for every unit and then it averages those 6 units to give you an over all grade for that subject...you usually do the first three units in your first year of A level (AS level).
However, i think they changed the curriculum for the ones starting it this year and now it's 4 units per subject instead of 6 but they've got more stuff per unit...I think, the people in the year below me are doing that system now. But yea that's the basics....
People think it's easy cause you do really few subjects but they're in a lot more detail than other systems and a higher level of thinking :P

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By gingertastic_10

ah physics final soon...fail :(

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crunchUK

GCSEs are... easy

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By StarFoxA

Most of my exams are next week, but today I had the bible exam (which was open book and thus freaking easy) and the oral part of my Spanish exam (which I know I did well on).

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgentofChaos

My exams are 3 weeks away. I don't have any real hard classes.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

My high school finals are the week after next, I'm really only worried about the algebra and spanish finals, I'd worry about physics, but my teacher....Well, let's just say tests go missing and they turn into 85's at the end of the term.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Systech

They just finished an hour ago! Yes!

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sfighter21

Actually in summer school right now.  Final is tomorrow.  Its Going to be applying what we've learned to cases...like case studies.  He said like 4-5 cases and each needs to run about a page...lame sauce.  I have no idea how to study for this right now, I've been at it for a while now and if I don't do good I'll drop to a C...not cool.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By artofwar420

I'm done with them, and I did fine, my grades however... 

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Mine start next week. I'm not really worried about any except Spanish (when do I use preterite and when do I use imperfect dammit!?). My history exam shouldn't be too hard compared to the AP exam we took last month, science is a piece of cake, English exam won't count against me, already took my calc exam and got 100% (booyah), and last and probably least, theology... which is a joke.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
SmugDarkLoser said:
Jayge said: I don't know what you're talking about Smug.100-97 = A+96-94 = A93-90 = A-89-87 = B+86-84 = B83-80 ... [more]
Well, if you're doing it by numbers, then it's:

A = 5
B = 4
C = 3
D = 2
F = 1

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Dr_Feelgood38 said:
Mine start next week. I'm not really worried about any except Spanish (when do I use preterite and when do ... [more]

preterite=== completed action.  usually dictates some sort of stop.
imperfect = progressing past action

that's it in basic, but it takes a while to get use to it.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By FrankCanada97

I have exams in 3 weeks, I'm acing English, Anthro/Socio/Psycho, but burning out on Physics and Chem. Which in hindsight was a bad course selection considering I'm going into law.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By RHCPfan24
Jayge_ said:
I don't know what you're talking about Smug.100-97 = A+96-94 = A93-90 = A-89-87 = B+86-84 = B83-80 = B-79-77 ... [more]
I use that type of grading system and I am pretty most of my state (NJ) does as well. And, Smug, I don't see why your teacher would bump you up another point if you are already at 88.5.... It is good that it is rounded off as it is. Don't expect it to go any higher.

As for my finals, I don't have mine for another 4 weeks. Damn. That is a long time.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Karmum

I don't have finals until next month.

Bigbombomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Bigbombomb

I don' have most of finals until next week and month, though I took my algebra exam. I missed most of the word problems but I answered all the multiple choice questions. I'm just hoping I didn't fail the test.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Osaladin

Finals went well for me, I finished the end of April. My scores that have come back have all been A's so that's good. Next semester's finals are going to suck though, I start medical school in August and I'm really not looking forward to those finals.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
SmugDarkLoser said:
Dr_Feelgood38 said: Mine start next week. I'm not really worried about any except Spanish (when do I use preterite and ... [more]
Oh, I know that but it's differentiating between the two in a sentence that starts to trip me up. And then they start changing meanings between words when they're preterite or imperfect like the verb phrase "no querer". Imperfect it means "didn't want" and in preterite it means "wouldn't" or "refused" and in translation, I think it gets pretty tough. Did I mention that I suck in spanish? Cause I do...

But whatever, on the point of grading scales, I think that schools should just do away with pluses and minuses because most colleges don't use them anyway. It would also make life much easier for the students.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Dr_Feelgood38 said:
SmugDarkLoser said: Dr_Feelgood38 said: Mine start next week. I&#39;m not really worried about any except Spanish (when do I use ... [more]

I agree, there's no point to it.
You're not looking at the pret vs. imp right though.  It's not literal like this. 

Jugo al beisbol
jugaba al beisbol

he played baseball (meaning an event, say to describe on saturday)
he was playing baseball (perhaps when something happened)

So in a sentence,
El jugo al beisbol este viernes
El jugaba al beisbol cuando vio su amor.
ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ShadowKiller

My exams are 3 weeks away and I've been a top honor roll student for everything so far so I hope everything goes well. As for all of you, I hope you guys get what you want on all your stuff.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By choffy21

Final Grades
Final Grades
Am/Az History
  • Written Final -- 100%
  • Objective Final -- 90%

Newspaper
  • Written Final -- 100%

Earth Science
  • Written Final -- 87.23%
  • Objective Final -- 100%

Spanish 3-4
  • Written Final -- 65%
  • Speaking Final -- 88%
  • Objective Final -- 73.25%

Algebra 3-4
  • Written Final -- 100%
  • Objective Final -- 90.33%

Lang Arts 5-6
  • Written Final -- 90%
  • Objective Final -- 83%

Applying to college with a 3.5 and a 1640 on my SAT's. Looking good :) Now, time for summer (yes, school ends uber early here in Arizona)
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

98 on my chem final   :)

gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

only hard one for me is gonna be PreCalc

all my other hard classes are done with

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Took my finals last week (college finals). The grades aren't posted yet. Heh, It sort of freaked me out having finals the same week the endurance run finals were going on.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By atejas

Mine are a week away. I actually have a chance because if I get a 5 or a 6 in physics, he's promised to send that as the predicted grade instead of taking the average(which would turn out to be a 2 or 3).

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By get2sammyb

I have uni exams next week. They're scary.

Avatar image for deactivated-596b8044e5f9a
deactivated-596b8044e5f9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm doing a Masters degree in International Politics so no exams for me, but there's coursework aplenty! Got to type up a 2500 word assignment on liberal nationalism by Wednesday, and then I have to get to work on my 15, 000 word dissertation on the global ramifications of climate change. At least you guys are done by the start of the summer, I won't be finished until September!!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By get2sammyb
floorswine said:
I'm doing a Masters degree in International Politics so no exams for me, but there's coursework aplenty! Got to type ... [more]
Fascinating.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

get2sammyb said:
floorswine said: I'm doing a Masters degree in International Politics so no exams for me, but there's coursework aplenty! Got ... [more]
Yeah a lot of coursework I had to do was boring as hell, but the dissertation's been pretty interesting so far. What are you studying? I take it you're an undergraduate?
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Colonel_Cool

For the most part, finals shouldn't be that bad for me (junior in HS). Physics is piss-easy, and the final is only worth 15% of our grade. I may have to study a little bit for pre-calc, but I have a 96% in the class now so it shouldn't be too bad. At our school, seniors don't have to take finals second semester if they have an A in the class, and since many students just got out of AP testing last week, our AP Chem teacher is being nice only making the final 10% of our grade for the juniors who have to take it (and I have a 98% in the class anyway so I won't even bother with studying). The only one I HAVE to do well on is in English. I had a 79% at the beginning of the quarter, but I have somehow managed to claw my way up to an 89.4% in the class now. We are doing a retarded partner presentation for our final, and my teacher seems to really like to grade on how nice our projects look rather than the actual literary content and such, so it is very risky. My fingers are crossed that I get an A!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By get2sammyb
floorswine said:
get2sammyb said: floorswine said: I&#39;m doing a Masters degree in International Politics so no exams for me, but there&#39;s coursework ... [more]
Computing, Business & Electronic-Systems.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@get2sammyb:

That sounds pretty similar to what one of my former flatmates was doing, and he's ended up with a nice cosy IT job where his company send him all over the UK for business trips and the like. Certainly beats fighting it out for minimum wage agency work doing photocopying and making cups of tea all day long!
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By maxszy
Guyzea said:
After taking some finals from college today, I felt the need of becoming a crack addict or joining the marines. [more]
Did you act on this sudden impulse? :-P

As for my finals, don't have them yet! Go go college quarters lasting till the middle of June! Though I am glad that I just get graded by numbers and decimals now. Makes it a lot easier to fit into the GPA system.
smackcalvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By smackcalvin
@SmugDarkLoser:

Actually Colleges go by .5

Plus your not in college i know this because your taking an honor or AP or w/e the hell you're talking about. I'm not trying to flame you bro, But please wait till you in get in college before telling people how it works.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
smackcalvin said:
@SmugDarkLoser: Actually Colleges go by .54.03.53.02.52.0Plus your not in college i know this because your taking an honor or AP ... [more]

Admissions?
Umm.... no.
Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Nick

I finished all my finals back in April and I got 1 A+ and the rest all A's, which is by far the best I've ever done. My GPA for the term was 4.something (max being 4.3). I think I got really lucky because I've never had grades this good before lol. I was taking 1 Philosphy course, a couple CPSC courses and a Math course.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sfighter21

DONE!!!  Alright, I start another summer class on the 15th of June!!!  Woohoo...

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Nasar7

I finished all my finals 2 weeks ago and am now enjoying a 4 month summer....it's the college life.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Milkman

My finals aren't until next month and for the most part, I'm freaking out. This may be a New York-only thing but here we have regents, which are tests given by the state. And if you fail the regents, you fail the class. Period. You could have a 100% all year but if you fail the regents, you're repeating the class next year. I have regents in Spanish, history, geometry and biology this year. History and biology are easy but Spanish and geometry, I'm worried about. Especially geometry. Fuck math.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_A_Drain

Too many numbers. All I know is this.
Programming: If I don't get a first i'm going on a killing spree.
Art: Should get a 2:1 but theres a slim chance of a first there.
Business: 2:1 probably.
Database: Pass. Barely, god that lesson is boring
Group Project: 2:1 at best.
Fundamentals of Computer (Maths and computer science/networking): Should be on for a first here.

First: 70%+
2:1: 60 - 70 I think
Below: No idea.

I left regular school behind years ago. I really should be doing some programming over the summer, I mean I didn't buy a full torque game engine license for nothing (same engine Penny Arcade Adventures was made in) but at the moment im moving house, and writing a guide.