How bad was your musical taste 10 years ago? (1 being worst)

• 166 results
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Animasta

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Animasta

I was reminscing with my absolutely terrible music taste I had 10 years ago (admittedly I was 11 but that's really no excuse for listening to Korn) so I was wondering what yours was like, 10 years ago.

Also if you still listen to nu metal you are the problem with (insert your country here) today.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By viking_funeral

Maturity is being able to forgive yourself for ever owning a Limp Bizkit album.

Now I feel like a hipster because no one I talk to has heard of Kasabian or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Sadly, I can't even remember that far back.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Akyho

I utterly prize my half dead Ipod, not for it, for it remembers a thousand songs my puny mind wont be able to remember and I need to transfer them off it eventual, a project that hasnt happened yet.

Those songs I gathered since 2005, I had more 10 years ago...however the music collection was several gigs on a 8gig hard drive.

I just wish I had more of the songs I used to listen to. I am however still finding more. Currently listening to Amanda Palmer (Wife to Author Neil Gaimen and Kickstarter Legend for music.) new album that so far is the biggest Kickstarter funded Music project. (Yeah Double fine kicks it in the face on kickstarter overall...and so does alot of game one.)

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DemiGodRaven

1 and proud of it. Just saw Powerman 5000 on Wednesday and Static-X on Friday last week. You can't rob me of my enjoyment of the music that got me through 5th-8th grade.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Dagbiker

Same as it is today. So about a 1.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By MarkWahlberg

It wasn't so much bad as severely limited by what was available. Childhood involved lots of Weird Al and classical music. Then iPods came out and I could get songs from my friends and that was basically how I became a better person.

@Viking_Funeral said:

Now I feel like a hipster because no one I talk to has heard of Kasabian or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

If it makes you feel any better, you're the only other person I've ever seen who has heard of BRMC. Granted, I've listened to all of one song by them, but I thought it was aight.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The same. You will never take away my 3rd wave Ska and punk rock.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Animasta

@DemiGodRaven said:

1 and proud of it. Just saw Powerman 5000 on Wednesday and Static-X on Friday last week. You can't rob me of my enjoyment of the music that got me through 5th-8th grade.

no, but I can make fun of you for it

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By emem

I don't think my taste in music got better or worse, it just evolved.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13  Edited By JasonR86

I picked C. I can still listen to some of my old music from that time and enjoy it on some level. I listened to all sorts of rock variants you would find on a rock radio station. So the classics to metallica to linkin park. If it was a form of rock that was popular enough to be played on a radio station I listened to it. I still listen to a lot of rock but the type of rock I listen to is different. Plus I've added several new genres of music because listening to just one type of music is a good way to go insane. So my tastes weren't great but I'm not embarrassed by what I listened to.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By inkerman

My music taste has really only expanded, I still listen to (and love) Nu Metal. Disturbed (whether they deserve that moniker or not) are still my favourite band. I never understood the shit that Nu Metal got.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Animasta

@Inkerman: because it's fucking dumb? it's the hair metal of the oughts (and even hair metal had more technical prowess). disturbed is worth it purely because down with the sickness is a really funny song, but I don't count ironic love as liking the music.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Hunter5024

Korn has like 3 good songs. Open Up dawg. Ten years ago I didn't like music.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Milkman

Fucking horrible. Disturbed, System of a Down, Korn, Slipknot, Linkin Park all of that shit. It has, thankfully, slowly evolved over the years to something respectable.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DukesT3

My taste probably got worse? Its the same I think just different artists and genres I guess. The only band I've stuck with since 1999 is Slipknot and others I continue to listen to are As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red and other crap like that and throw in some electronica/trance/house music. I do still love jamming out to old Korn, PM5K, Linkin Park and limp bizkit. The memories!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Animasta

@PollySMPS: really not getting up in arms about it I just think it's really dumb music. I mean I listen to terrible music on occasion (sunn o))) is many things but it is not great music) so it's not like I'm saying my taste is better or anything. Nu metal was the popular thing at the time, and the nu metal choice embodies you just listening to whatever's popular at the time.

but saying that is boring

edit: I mean I still think break stuff is one of the funner songs I've ever heard

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince

I liked Sum 41 and Blink 182. I still like Sum 41 and Blink 182. I have a very wide pallet when it comes to music. I usually dislike heavy metal though.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By EVO

10 years was my pop punk phase. Lotta Millencolin, Less Than Jake, New Found Glory etc.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By ComradeKhan

It tastes good

Aronleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aronleon

@Milkman said:

Fucking horrible. Disturbed, System of a Down, Korn, Slipknot, Linkin Park all of that shit. It has, thankfully, slowly evolved over the years to something respectable.

All this and probably more that I don't even want to remember, those were the dark days.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iam3green

i would say it's pretty much the same. there's a few things that i feel bad about getting though, eminem, limp bixit. few off the top of my head. i gave my friend them. back then i didn't listen to a lot of music.

i still like nu-metal.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#26  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'd say a three, maybe a two? I don't know. Some of it I still listen to and enjoy, like Audioslave, Jack Johnson, and Oakenfold. Some of it I can take or leave today, like most of the rap I listened to then (mostly stuff by Method Man and Redman, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, that sort of thing). And then there's the shit I just shake my head about, like Linkin Park. Right around that time I was also listening to a lot more classic rock and roll, something I got burned out on when I moved to Missouri, but I suspect my taste in it wasn't bad, just overplayed.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BraveToaster

There were certain songs that I enjoyed from bands that were hated. Hell, I notice some of the crap that I listen to now is bad. There was a time when I thought that Drake was the best new lyrical savior to Hip-Hop. Not to mention that only a few years ago, I thought Lil Wayne was the shit. I'd say that I want more out of music now.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By notdavid

I was into Linkin Park and Slipknot at the time. Now I'm into contemporary folk. Used to be an angsty emo fucktard, now I'm a hipster elitist asshole. I can't tell if that makes me better off now, but I guess Swell Season is better than nu metal.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I listened to whatever was on the radio because I was in fourth or fifth grade. I remember lots of Sugar Ray and Linkin Park. Sugar Ray has some sweet jams.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zekhariah

I am in the sad spot of not hitting music I was interested in until my mid-20s. No music history 10years ago, but I'm able to overlook almost any lyrical shortfall so I have a lot of rubbish (from a overall artistic standpoint) in my collection.

Metal has a lot of fun parts; I'm not really sure why the community for it has such a obsession with purity. Maybe because the breadth of what is appended metal is so wide as to be meaningless? Even in the universally acknowledged sub-genres I do not really think the category ends up meaning much unless taken as a historical context though (power vs. black vs. death vs thrash have varying degrees of audience cross-over).

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By viking_funeral

@Video_Game_King said:

Sadly, I can't even remember that far back.

That... that song.

So many memories. Favorite game of my childhood, and current all-time number 2. I need to go sit down somewhere and reminisce.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#32  Edited By Little_Socrates

I was 10, so it was pretty much JUST The Beatles. And not all of The Beatles, but pretty much just what was on the Yellow Submarine expanded soundtrack, Abbey Road, and MAYBE what was on 1.

My musical taste didn't expand at all until I was around 13 or so, when I snagged a copy of Dark Side of the Moon from my mom and enjoyed it.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jonnyboy

"Music to me is a Religion, and Option 1 is the Shit!"

Still listen Nu-Metal every now and again when I go through my Music folder, don't see the problem, no point fucking denying it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Animasta

@Zekhariah: I don't hate nu metal because it isn't metal, I just hate it because it's boring and really dumb.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NTM

I'm not sure, I don't think I really cared for music as I do today, but that was because I never really found out. I mean, I only listened to what my brothers and parents listened to at the time, but when The Last Samurai came out I started listening to film soundtracks and that's when I really got into music. So, I don't really know if this applies to me.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Chop

10 years ago?

I was 12 and in my opinion, didn't even have musical taste. I just listened to whatever the fuck was on the radio. Now if you want to talk about six or seven years back instead, when I first started developing my love for music, I'd say my taste was...boring but not offensive. Stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, NIN...you know, the typical shit.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By coakroach

I was a young lad getting music handed down from my brother, so it was either something like Linkin Park or some weird awful techno/happy hardcore bullshit.

Profsn1pe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Profsn1pe

Judging that I was ten at the time I was never really into music until my dad made me listen to the S&M; cd by metallica when I was 16. But before that was the dark times where I liked the backstreet boys and other pop bands. It still gives me nightmares to this day.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By inkerman

@Animasta said:

@Inkerman: because it's fucking dumb? it's the hair metal of the oughts (and even hair metal had more technical prowess). disturbed is worth it purely because down with the sickness is a really funny song, but I don't count ironic love as liking the music.

I don't see why it's dumb, Indestructible is a great album. It's certainly no dumber than most of that gritty rap stuff.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked a couple Creed Songs, and I loved Linkin Park. (10 years ago I was 9) I didn't listen to much besides Linkin Park back then (and didn't really listen to much music at all until I was ~12.)

My tastes are completely different and I like a large variety of genres now.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By Hunter5024

@Inkerman said:

@Animasta said:

I don't see why it's dumb, Indestructible is a great album. It's certainly no dumber than most of that gritty rap stuff.

How about no music is objectively dumber than any other music and it just comes down to personal taste? ...Except Slipknot, they're pretty stupid.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By crazyleaves

Fuck, you duders make me feel ancient.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By Dalai

I have that stack of CDs I've gathered over the years to remind me of when I actually liked Linkin Park, Creed, Incubus, 3 Doors Down, you kinda see the trend. Limp Bizkit went in the trash, though.

But it was about 10 years ago when my tastes began to change and recently I've been listening to the stuff I loved back in the early-mid 2000s... which consists of less Linkin Park and Creed and more Rogue Wave and Death Cab for Cutie.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By stonyman65

It was more or less the same, but with a bit more nu-metal, and not as much hair metal/shred stuff.

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hangedtoaster

Well I listened to Nickelback ten years ago, and at the time I was really into it, thought they we're pretty awesome. I guess I should just destroy my computer now... Right?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Aetheldod

Im still headbanging to the same Black Metal as 10 years ago \m/ (as well as all the other music that I like , I think I have actually expanded my repertoire)

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By forkboy

I think if I was being kind to 18 year old me I'd say that 10 years ago was an important point in my development as a music fan. I was over the nu-metal thing (with the exception of SOAD who I still enjoy) about when Slipknots Iowa came out & just did nothing for me. I think I'd already started listening to more & more thrash by this point & getting into my first bands who screamed in a way that was more or less intelligible. In fact looking on my wall I see we'e less than 2 months away from the 10th anniversary of my first ever live concert so that began my interest in doom metal that has since burgeoned (as it was Cathedral supported by Electric Wizard). Hadn't really looked into black metal at all yet, nor had I really dipped my toes into death metal in much of a way, though I was definitely listening to In Flames before Reroute To Remain came out. So there was some of that melo-death stuff. And I think I owned the first 3 At The Gates albums.

But I was still pretty close-minded, really only listened to metal & punk music on the whole. I didn't start letting other stuff in a notable way until maybe 2004 or 2005. 2002 me would be stunned that I listen to so much "hippie shit" from the 60s, that I don't think all hip-hop is shit, & that I can appreciate & enjoy some forms of electronic music. I think on a scale of 1-10 I'd score 2002 me a 4. He was on the right track, but still really narrow-minded.

madmanmaple89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By madmanmaple89

I listened to Korn, Disturbed and Static X ten years and I still do! Fuck off, pal. I WAS BORN THIS WAY!! *stupid Lady Gaga music starts playing*

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By rachelepithet

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By A_Talking_Donkey

Basically the same but less expanded. I still listen to a lot of the same metal, punk, and jazz I did ten years ago, though I've also gained an appreciation for a lot of other styles too.