#1 Edited by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

...productive. Let me explain.

When second semester of my junior year started, I finally made the decision to become a pro wrestler when I get out of high school. I was going to go to college at some point, but just not right after high school since I don't really have a lot of skills. So, I kind of blew off Junior Year. Nothing horrible like letting myself get straight Fs or whatever. I still got As and Bs with maybe 1 C. I blew it off in the sense that I did absolutely NO preparation for college so, I really have to work this year to make sure I get prepared. Which is fine. I completely blame myself for not preparing. It's summer vacation now and I have about 2-3 weeks before school starts up.

I realized that I probably should at least find something I enjoy, or might enjoy, doing and go to college for that so I, at least, have a degree to fall back on. So far, I'm trying to decide between journalism, graphic design and, video editing or producing. I realize these careers aren't going to make me a lot of money, but I feel like I would work hard at these and really enjoy doing these. I need your guy's help now.

Is it smart to go right after high school or should I take a year to get a job or two and save up? Since my mom works at night, I am not able to start looking for and applying for jobs until the end of my senior year because, I have to be home by 6:00 to take care of my brother Sunday-Thursday. School ends at about 3:00 P.M. so I could get a job on Fridays and Saturdays, but I'd only be able to work like 4-5 hours each of those days. None of the businesses near me are hiring at all so, I'm pretty much better off waiting, but should I try applying, even if it is just for those days or could I use this time to maybe volunteer or something at my school? Also, if I should just wait, when should I start applying for jobs? How near the end of the school year?

My dad keeps on wanting to get involved in my decision making, but he only wants what is going to make more money. Every time I have told him what I wanted to do with my life, he always tells me I should join the army because it is going to make me more money. I respect the hell out of the troops, but I'm just not cut out to go to war and, even if I was, I don't want to go because I'm just way too scared. I don't want him to get involved in my decision making because every time I take his advice, I always end up failing and every time I go with my heart, I end up succeeding. Should I tell him this and is there a nice way to tell him this or should I just tell him straight up? He is just really bad at making decisions (His major decisions have gotten him divorced, jobless, broke, or in trouble with someone for the most part) and I really don't think it would be wise for him to get involved. However, I feel like I should at least tell him what I'm going to do. I'm just afraid he is going to try and take control of the situation like he usually does.

Finally, what would be a better decision? Going to a two-year college so I can try and improve on some things and then transferring to a 4-year or straight up just going to a 4-year? What is the application process like? Am I going to have to get letters of recommendations or is that only for specific degrees? Basically, how do I actually do the applying?

I'm sorry if this was way too long to read and, if you did take the time to read this all and respond, thank you very much. I just need to get some help and I figured I'd go to the Giant Bomb community for some help.

#2 Posted by believer258 (11928 posts) -

Your father. He sounds like he's more concerned with your future paycheck and well-being on paper than he is with how you feel about things - which is not a bad thing and is a perfectly natural reaction. It's a reaction to having been disappointed himself and seeing that he could have "been more". I know, because my dad has told me to concentrate on making money. And that is important - whatever you do, you need to be able to live off of it. But you also need to be somewhat happy with what you're doing and where you are in your life, because going to hell for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week will make you very unhappy, very quickly no matter your salary. So, to this end, decide what you want to do and do it. All of those things you have listed sound like pretty good careers, you've just gotta be confident enough to go out there and find them. Some measure of luck might be involved, yes, but don't give up.

Speaking of confidence, here's a one-off sentence in the middle of this that's far more important than you might think - build up your confidence. And, almost as importantly, understand the difference between confidence and arrogance. Confidence is being absolutely certain of what you can do and what you can learn; arrogance is thinking that you already know those things better than anyone else.

Anyway, two year college and then transferring. I would say that this isn't a bad idea if you're poor or part of the lower-middle class, but if you've got a fair amount of money then you should try for a four year. And immediately after school, too - waiting is not good.

#3 Edited by Chop (1999 posts) -

Well, I don't know about anything else you said but I can tell you this much: don't wait. Don't take a year off to fuck around and "save up". Those were my exact sentiments and now I'm a directionless 22 year old with no future in sight.

Just fucking do it. Don't doubt yourself and let life/other people lead you around.

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Dont go with Journalism unless you are a good writer, and your school isn't just teaching about News paper. Graphics Design is a good choice, that's what I do. And Video Production is also a good choice.

I would go to school right after high school, and don't stop. I would go to a community college, and try to transfer to a University, or 4 year school. Its so much easier.

If you know you wont take your dads advice, I wouldn't ask for it. If he gives it unsolicited I would shrug it off. If worse comes to worse I would tell him that "This is a decision I have to make on my own." or "Its my future and I have to decide for my self." something to that effect.

#5 Posted by peachesrcool (77 posts) -

If you don't have enough money or your parents aren't willing to help pay for school, then definitely take they year off and work. My advice for avoiding what Chop is experiencing (although being 22 and directionless isn't all that bad as long as your saving your money for some form of schooling, you'll be fine) is to find textbooks and learn as much as you can in any and every field.

Ask your parents to buy you some books on journalism, graphic design and, video editing or producing this year and study them during school. Try to make some content before you finish the year in high-school, hell volunteer to make ads for local businesses after you get good enough to get into trouble.

My personal advice would be to go into engineering or healthcare of some sort.

#6 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

I'm in no place to give you advice about school or wrestling so I won't, but from what I have read and heard, Pro Wrestlers usually risk it all to be where they are. Most train in Mexico and Japan right after high school without any college whatsover. If you were talking about the WWE and TNA then that's a whole different story. That doesn't really have anything to do with training or experience anymore, it's about appearance and things you can't really work on.

One of my cousins hitched a ride to Mexico with his friend who was training to be a pro wrestler. She was there for 6 months before she flew out to Japan to compete there.

#7 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER: I don't know. I mean, right now, I don't think I want to make wrestling my whole life. I want to do it for at least 5 years, see how my career goes and if I'm going nowhere, try something else