• 0 results
#1 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

Like the title says, how did you find out about Giant Bomb and what got you hooked on it? Also, what do you best remember from back then? I found out about Giant Bomb after the controversy with GS and Jeff so I was super excited when I found out that he was making his own site. And I remember the podcasts the best.

#2 Posted by JJWeatherman (14486 posts) -

Somehow I found the blog and when I found out a full site was launching, I was all aboard.

#3 Posted by Skytylz (4015 posts) -

I found out on the last holiday edition of 1up yours when the guys were on there with them.  I remember Brad picked Banjo Kazoie his game of the year.

RIP 1up

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19178 posts) -
@Skytylz said:
" RIP 1up "
Come on, now.
#5 Posted by JJWeatherman (14486 posts) -
@Skytylz said:
" I found out on the last holiday edition of 1up yours when the guys were on there with them.  I remember Brad picked Banjo Kazoie his game of the year.  RIP 1up "
I remember that one. Everyone was so shocked when Brad said Banjo.
#6 Posted by Heylook (235 posts) -

Word of mouth via various podcasts (sometime around when 1up kinda died)

#7 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

It was definitely good times, but I really hope Rich Gallup was also on the staff.

#8 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

Downloaded the Arrow Pointing Down podcast thinking it was Jeff Green and Ryan Scott. However I instead received Jeff Gerstmann and Ryan Davis. 

I loved it and I've been following since. 

#9 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -

I was looking for a new game, so I watched the Kane & Lynch review on Gamespot and read the comments. Everybody was saying how good Giant Bomb was, so I came here.

#10 Posted by Skytylz (4015 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: You know it's true ; )
#11 Posted by zombie2011 (4941 posts) -

Does the search button work? I only ask because there have been a shitload of duplicate threads lately.

#12 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4500 posts) -

I was looking at the Champions Online website, and they had a link to the GB Quick Look of it. Been coming here ever since.

#13 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

Finding out about the skeleton's in Gamespot's closet.

#14 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -
@DanielJW said:
" Downloaded the Arrow Pointing Down podcast thinking it was Jeff Green and Ryan Scott. However I instead received Jeff Gerstmann and Ryan Davis.  I loved it and I've been following since.  "
That is really weird lol.
#15 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -
@zombie2011 said:
" Does the search button work? I only ask because there have been a shitload of duplicate threads lately. "
Yeah it works but the only other related topic is back when GB started.
#16 Posted by xMP44x (2189 posts) -

I actually found it through luck. I was surfing around the internet looking for a wiki, you know, somewhere to make some videogame edits. And then someone said something about GiantBomb on GameSpot and I thought I'd check it out. And then I was like "Yo dawg, this is made of win.", and I signed up. I remember when I was new on the site that one of the first people to comment on my first blog (coincidentally, about getting 1000 Wiki Points) was natetodamax. I also remember when StarfoxA was the leader by a huge margin.

#17 Posted by Gaughan (97 posts) -

I followed Jeff from GS to his one man blog to then to GB and loved every second and will continue to.

#18 Posted by omgdyl (5 posts) -

I first heard about the site a bit after the whole thing with Jeff happened but didn't start coming by every day until about a year or so ago now.  The thing that kept me coming back was the podcasts and the quick looks.  I come here probably just as much now as Kotaku and Joystiq.

#19 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -

I followed Jeff's personal blog after he left GS. In his blog he pointed out that an official site was coming. I was here the first day it was up.

#20 Posted by Wipeout (260 posts) -

I used to watch On the Spot and listen to The Hotspot, then after the Kane and Lynch firing I followed the exodus through Jeff's blog and eventually Arrow Pointing Down.  

#21 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3667 posts) -
@Gaughan said:
" I followed Jeff from GS to his one man blog to then to GB and loved every second and will continue to. "
#22 Posted by RetroIce4 (4392 posts) -

From Jeff

#23 Posted by RichardLOlson (1854 posts) -

My friend WilliamRLBaker turned me on to GiantBomb.  He said the site was really good  and I should check it out.  So I did and here I am.

#24 Posted by DAFTPUNK (1213 posts) -

My BRO

#25 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

...holy shit, how many times will this thread come up?

#26 Posted by Wrect (313 posts) -

I followed the guys for years on the old site that shall remain nameless.  When they left, I followed them.
#27 Posted by Blair (2473 posts) -

A transition from the Hotspot to Arrow Pointing Down to the infamous blog to Giant Bomb.

I'm so happy to have Giant Bomb.  I love you Giant Bomb!

#28 Edited by Defias (169 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

" ...holy shit, how many times will this thread come up? "

Forever shall it be remade just like in a few days we will have a new thread asking how the staff makes money.
But I still will answer by following the jeff and ryan to the arrow pointing down and then the creation of giant bomb.
#29 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" ...holy shit, how many times will this thread come up? "
Maybe you should use the search feature of the site lol.
#30 Posted by The_Big_Rough (209 posts) -

Yep people bombed the Gamespot website about GB so that how i found out about it lol 

#31 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

I did a search on "naked cartoon pussy" and for some reason the entire first page of results was in some way associated with Giantbomb.

#32 Posted by DarkShaper (1296 posts) -

I was a GS user back in the day.

#33 Posted by President_Barackbar (3345 posts) -

After Gerstmanngate I heard rumors he might be doing something else, kinda wandered around the net without a video game site for a while until I saw someone on a forum mention that Jeff was at Giant Bomb now. This was a couple months after the site had relaunched.

#34 Posted by kaaaaaaahn (341 posts) -

looked up jill valentine and found there huge list of every game character

#35 Posted by elko84 (965 posts) -

I watched On the Spot and listened to the Hotspot because I liked Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny, Alex and Rich.  Then they all left and so I followed the Arrow Pointing Down and listened to the podcast they started then followed over to Giant Bomb when they started the beta.  Been here ever since.

#36 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

After Jeff got fired and announced Giant Bomb, I checked it out for the first month or two. I stopped going and came back when I saw those best of Persona 4 Endurance Run videos on YouTube like five months ago. 

#37 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -

I heard Wombat talk about giantbomb and the bombcast 2-3 times, so I found it on iTunes. I must have listened to 3 straight episodes that day. That said, I never checked the website until I watched the Endurance Run.

#38 Posted by Mcfart (1429 posts) -

a panda told me aboot it

#39 Posted by Centurion11 (80 posts) -

I started off at 1up, but I was banned for some unknown reason, and so because I like gaming, I joined this place.

#40 Posted by TheDuke (231 posts) -

from the gamespot craziness

#41 Posted by Warfare (1632 posts) -
@Fragstoff said:
" the fiasco,  "
^^this
#42 Posted by DCFGS3 (1054 posts) -

I was hunting for videos of Red Faction: Guerrilla gameplay on youtube, and a Brad and Vinny(?) Quicklook came up, they were hilarious, so I followed to here.

#43 Posted by face15 (1244 posts) -

I saw Brad's Uncharted 2 review on youtube and thought it was really good so I came to the site and was blown away by how awesome it is.

#44 Posted by kidman (458 posts) -

Was following GS' On The Spot and was visiting Jeff's personal website, and after he was fired i was watching and listening to all the things Jeff has done, like Points! (remember those?) and 'podcasts' made via skype by Ryan and Jeff, so there was no way i was not gonna come here on DAY ONE. Somehow i thought more people were here since the beggining.

#45 Posted by Landon (4115 posts) -

Followed Jeff here after the Arrow Pointing Down podcast. I was one of the first members. So you gotta, like, treat me with respect and stuff.

#46 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@ISuperGamerI: 
Jesus christ dude,   From 60 posts to 400 in less than 2 days......

I was talking to a buddy about how gamespot was shit nowadays, And he told me about it.
#47 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -

Jeff "the Gerstmann" Gerstmann.

I followed him into the rabbit hole.

#48 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1150 posts) -

I put my ear to the ground. I didn't hear anything though, so I got bored and got online. I thought to myself; "Self, we should really go see how video games are doing." So, I typed in www.google.com into my web browser of choice. I searched for "naked cartoon pussy" because I kind of got distracted and forgot about video games. When I hit enter, you simply cannot guess what I witnessed. I was back on Giant Bomb.com. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Next time I'll tell you the story of how I came across this thread. It's actually quite an interesting tale. There were ups, there were downs. But I'll tell you what there wasn't; a point.

#49 Posted by RandomInternetPerson (779 posts) -

My girlfriend used to look about stocks so she googled Arrow Pointing Down.

And the rest is history :D

#50 Posted by lilman1101 (1056 posts) -

I was a Gamespot user back in the day (only because i liked to comment on reviews, Jeff's of course) and when he left i posted in caps for an entire week, got banned and came here :D.

I think i just wanted an excuse to come here ;D.