Posted by GalacticGravy (548 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: How did you first find Giant Bomb? (592 votes)

Word of mouth 22%
Google 6%
Youtube 4%
Other 67%

For me, it was a friend who told me about it.

#1 Posted by Milkman (16800 posts) -

When Jeff said on his blog "hey, I'm making this website called Giant Bomb."

#2 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

I remember reading about it on Gamestop from somewhere.

#3 Posted by Freshbandito (686 posts) -

A friend told me to check out rogue warrior because "it's really cool" the quick look was the first google response and from there I watched everything

#4 Posted by myketuna (1701 posts) -

@milkman said:

#5 Edited by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Followed the original Gamespot crew for a long time, including Jeff, and when they all started to leave following Gerstmann-gate I saw Jeff's blog linked through one of their blogs and thus found out where he had disappeared to.

#6 Edited by TooWalrus (13203 posts) -

@milkman said:

Jeff Gerstmann is Still Alive

#7 Posted by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -

@myketuna said:

@milkman said:

#8 Posted by Kjebka (48 posts) -

Dark Souls quick look

#9 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

I remember registering pretty early on but not visiting that frequently until 2010. I wish I could remember what specifically (or which Bombcast episode) convinced me this was the place to be.

#10 Edited by Zeik (2442 posts) -

Someone mentioned the P4 Endurance Run on a forum or something, so I checked it out. For awhile that was the only reason I came to this site.

#11 Posted by Alpha1 (254 posts) -

@milkman said:

#12 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

Jeff leaving Gamespot and hearing about his cool new blog.

#13 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4209 posts) -

Probably from the Bombcast. I think I heard about the Bombcast probably from some IGN podcast, or 1UP Yours back then. I don't really remember.

#14 Edited by GnaTSoL (793 posts) -

@myketuna said:

@milkman said:

Giant Bombs OGs in the house!

#15 Posted by GalacticGravy (548 posts) -

Jeez what a bunch of hipsters :D

#16 Posted by 49th (2758 posts) -

I used to use the gametrailers forums occasionally and saw GB videos linked a few times, soon after I moved over completely.

#17 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5515 posts) -

I started listening to the podcast about three years ago. Shortly thereafter I came to the site, and It's been love ever sense.

#18 Posted by Belegorm (406 posts) -

Followed the crew from Gamespot.

#19 Posted by joshwent (2207 posts) -

Jeff leaving Gamespot and hearing about his cool new blog.

Then promptly and tragically forgetting about it. Until one fateful day I was trying to find out what happened to Carrie Gouskos and found the page that her name there is linked to.

I found me the bomb.

Then, honestly, it took me a few return visits to even realize what the fuck this site was. It was pretty... different looking, back in the day.

#20 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

I saw the FEAR 3 Quick Look when I was looking around for longer gameplay videos of FEAR 3.

#21 Posted by Franstone (1121 posts) -

I can't even remember how because I didn't read Jeff's blog but I've been here since the beginning.
Ahhh... the bug bomb...
Been reading and watching the guys (Jeff, Ryan, Brad) stuff for years previous on Gamespot though.

#22 Edited by SecondPersonShooter (618 posts) -
#23 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Gamespot.

#24 Posted by BalrogsBain (81 posts) -

how to build a bomb videos from the basement

#25 Posted by Chop (1997 posts) -

Some dude would make recap topics of the endurance run on the gamefaqs p4 message board. Followed the link and ended up here; never really left, either.

#26 Posted by CaLe (3988 posts) -

I watched a lot of their video reviews during the GameSpot days, then when the shit went down, I became interested in what Jeff would do next. Turns out he helped created the website I've probably spent more time on than any other in my entire life. I've been here since the moment the site launched.

#27 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2304 posts) -

I've asked myself this same question and I honestly can't remember. I've only been here since 2010 and gb quickly became my favorite website.

#28 Edited by Twinsun (477 posts) -

Yeah, had enjoyed his and the others work on gamespot for years. And naturally followed them here. That really should have been an options in the poll.

#29 Posted by Fattony12000 (7418 posts) -
#30 Posted by sarahsdad (1092 posts) -

I followed Jeff from GameSpot.

#31 Edited by FLStyle (4706 posts) -

@milkman said:

#32 Edited by Mister_V (1296 posts) -

I followed a guy on twitter who did an iRacing podcast. one day he tweeted a link to the celebrity poker quick look. the rest is history.

#33 Posted by Scrawnto (2450 posts) -

I think it might have been former Giant Bomb intern Steve Ramirez, AKA Lemon, AKA Internet Steve, who told me about the site, though this would have been when it was still just a blog, long before his internship.

#34 Posted by Warfare (1634 posts) -
#35 Posted by BaneFireLord (2935 posts) -

Comments on Gamespot's HotSpot podcast in 2009. I only started gaming in '08, so I missed the golden era of GS.

#36 Edited by Snail (8606 posts) -

Someone on my GameSpot friends list made a blog post about it. This was back when Giant Bomb was still basically in the form of a blog.

#37 Posted by LTSmash (626 posts) -

I followed Jeff over from Gamespot.

#38 Edited by Winsord (1228 posts) -
#39 Posted by TheRookie727 (62 posts) -

Found the site via Tested.com

#40 Posted by Turkalurch (198 posts) -

I think I heard of GiantBomb through another video game podcast. In fact if I remember right, it might have been from RebelFM. Not sure though. Either way it's now my favorite video game site. Fuck I miss Ryan now.

#41 Edited by Willza92 (263 posts) -

I was on the Escapists forums back in '09 and someone mentioned Giant Bomb being founded by the guy from the Kane & Lynch fiasco and that the site was pretty cool.

I never looked back. Thanks Giant Bomb.

#42 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1247 posts) -

I was a fan of these guys back in Gamespot and was aware of Gerstmanngate and what happened, but I didn't know that they made a new website until like 2010 when I heard another gaming podcast talk about them and I was like "I loved those guys and forgot what happened to them after that" and now here I am. At the time I wasn't too big into the games press, just Jeff and the gang from gamespot but didn't know what happened to them after it so I was so happy to hear they have a website again.

#43 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

I was part of the Gamespot fandom when Jeff got fired, and some time after that whole fiasco I saw a blogger on there link to Jeff's blog that existed pre-Giant Bomb. I signed up for the site and when it launched I just showed up on day one.

#44 Edited by Deinos (89 posts) -

www.nuke.com ;-)

But yeah, pretty much followed gamespot before it was gamespot... loved Jeff and the guys on the Hotspot, etc... listened at work all the time... then was saddened when Gerstmann-gate went down... and gladdened when arrow pointing down happened and morphed into the giantbombcast... work was once again awesome once a week!

#45 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

When Jeff said "Hey giant bomb".

Arrow pointing down was my first exposure I guess, following on from the gamespot days.

#46 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1456 posts) -

@milkman said:

Pretty much this. I followed Jeff, and Ryan too, when they left Gamespot. I didn't even know Brad and Vinny quit until they came on to the Podcast with Alex; hell, I only remember Vinny from his hosting days of The Hotspot and that one time he was on camera a few days after breaking his thumb.

#47 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I found GB through podcast suggestions on iTunes.

#48 Posted by Sterling (2311 posts) -

I was searching for naked cartoon pussy.

#49 Posted by RioStarwind (547 posts) -

Someone on gamefaqs posted a link to a GB QL and that alone sold me on this site. Wish I knew about it sooner not that it matters since I spent some time checking out pre end of 2009 content after I joined.

#50 Posted by automatontribe (198 posts) -

I found gamespot like 4 months before Jeff and the other guys left. Really enjoyed it and when they left I just followed them to arrow pointing down and then giantbomb. But it was first when the P4 endurance run started I started religiously following the site.