How do I make my Nexus 7 screen transparent? (KIT KAT)

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Does anyone know how to make the top and bottom of the screen on Android Kit Kat transparent with the black bars gone on the Nexus 7? Much like you see in all of the pictures of the Nexus 5. I downloaded Kit Kat to my Nexus 7 and it's not like so. However, I see many pictures of Nexus 7 (2013) that are like the Nexus 5.

i2v2nr20i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It is the launcher's job to make them transparent, so if you download the Google Experience Launcher they should be transparent.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RonGalaxy

@i2v2nr20i said:

It is the launcher's job to make them transparent, so if you download the Google Experience Launcher they should be transparent.

Except the 2013 nexus 7 doesnt work too well with the GEL. Lower quality icons, and when you go into landscape mode the google search bar overlaps anything that's on the top part of the screen. I recommend just sticking with the standard launcher, unless they update the GEL

It sucks, but this update has very little effect on anything other than the nexus 5.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I'm using the latest Nova Launcher beta on my Nexus 4 (with Kit Kat) and I have the option for transparent top and bottom bars; so use that, I guess?

I didn't realise people actually used the (terrible) stock launcher. I've had Nova on my phone since I got it in December and I've never looked back.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@lumley said:

I'm using the latest Nova Launcher beta on my Nexus 4 (with Kit Kat) and I have the option for transparent top and bottom bars; so use that, I guess?

I didn't realise people actually used the (terrible) stock launcher. I've had Nova on my phone since I got it in December and I've never looked back.

you need the beta version of nova, which you have to opt in for by liking some bullshit on google plus. Then after that you only get it when they manually release the upload for more users

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6 MattyFTM  Moderator
@lumley said:

I wouldn't call the stock launcher terrible. For the average user, it does the job. The only reason I went looking for another launcher was because I wanted the ability to have more shortcuts in each folder. Stock only allowed for 9, I think. With Nova, it's unlimited. And whilst Nova does do other things better than stock too, the expanded size of the folders is the only feature that I couldn't live without.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#7  Edited By lumley
@mattyftm said:
@lumley said:

I wouldn't call the stock launcher terrible. For the average user, it does the job. The only reason I went looking for another launcher was because I wanted the ability to have more shortcuts in each folder. Stock only allowed for 9, I think. With Nova, it's unlimited. And whilst Nova does do other things better than stock too, the expanded size of the folders is the only feature that I couldn't live without.

Well, I guess terrible is a slight overstatement.

I rely on plenty of Nova's features: unlimited folder shortcuts, unlimited screens, icon themes (couldn't live without), better app drawer organization (custom tabs and folders in app drawer), widget overlapping (something I heavily rely on), scroll effects, gestures (I use swipe up for chrome, super useful), scrolling wallpapers, icon swipes (I use swipe up on Facebook for messenger, swipe up on Twitter for plume etc, really useful for keeping my homescreen minimal) and hide apps (couldn't live without).