#1 Posted by Zombie (201 posts) -

I'm not sure if this is the right area, but I just bought some very nice headphones and I was wondering if there was a way I could plug them into my TV. I heard I need a headphone jack, but I have no idea what it looks like. I doubt it would look the same as a PC one?

#2 Posted by Gazel_Ministry (125 posts) -

A lot of television sets have an 3.5 mm analog jack, but not all. If not, get yourself a Y-cable and use the RCA stereo jacks on your tv. In my experience analog jacks on the tv sound terrible . If your headphones are truly high-end ($250+), I would consider using a headphone amp. But that can get really expensive. A good receiver usually has a capable jack.

#3 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Gazel_Ministry said:
"  A lot of television sets have an 3.5 mm analog jack, but not all. If not, get yourself a Y-cable and use the RCA stereo jacks on your tv. In my experience analog jacks on the tv sound terrible . If your headphones are truly high-end ($250+), I would consider using a headphone amp. But that can get really expensive. A good receiver usually has a capable jack. "
You're absolute correct. RCA jacks are unamplified sound and headphone jacks are usually amplified. PC jacks are better than RCA, but still don't compare to a proper headphone amp. But often times decent headphone amps can cost more than the already expensive headphones you're trying to power. Many receivers have a headphone jack, which is sure to sound better than RCA jacks.

My soundcard has a front bay expansion that has a headphone port with pretty good amplification, but the rear port attached to the card itself sounds like crap through them. I wish there were more dolby digital headphone amps on the market.
#4 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

Here you go:

#5 Posted by SinGulaR (2306 posts) -

Standard headphone jacks look all the same and come in two sizes. That's why it's called standard. It's been a long time since I saw a TV with headphone jacks though. But every halfway modern TV nowadays has audio out in some form on it's backside. Grab the signal from there using a adaptor or route it to your soundsystem and use the headphones there. If you're skilled enough you can also solder a headphone jack right onto the mainboard of your TV ;).