• 63 results
#51 Posted by mosespippy (3983 posts) -

Here is what I do with rice. I add in some frozen peas, corn, carrots, etc when cooking it. I'll fry some pork or chicken or steak and dice it with mushrooms or onions. Then I'll mix them together. The variety of combinations available keeps things different enough that you can have it a couple nights a week. It also works well as leftovers.

#52 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3721 posts) -

I've been doing the same.

I eat a lot of chicken. I love spicy food, so I bought some curry powder at a local indian market. I dice up the chicken, about half an onion (a great cheap food) and I put some oil in a pan and then toss it all in to cook. Then I drain it to make sure it's not too greasy or oily after the chicken looks good. Add the powder, add some crushed tomato to fill out the sauce (coconut milk is another cheap option, plain greek yogurt a more expensive one), add some garlic, and let it stew. Tastes great! Eat with some rice and beans and bread. I was able to find some very cheap and solid Nan at the Indian market to (Nan is Indian flatbread) it was 40 pieces (about pancake size) for 9 dollars. Great deal.

So I'd advise you to just experiment. I hadn't cooked for myself at all really before like a month ago and I've already started to love doing it, love the food I can make, and yes, love how cheap it is too.

#53 Edited by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Google, Cheap Recipes. Look for things that feature inexpensive ingredients like Pasta, Rice and Potatoes. Set yourself a budget and plan meals according to that.

Stop eating out if you ever do (make it a weekly treat if anything and set a budget for that). Anything you create yourself is going to be cheaper than from a store, buy meat when it's cheap and freeze it.

#54 Edited by Flacracker (1581 posts) -

Eat a bunch of crap food. Crap food is really cheap.

#55 Posted by gokaired (470 posts) -

sleep till midday and only eat breakfast and dinner.

#56 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

Beans, peas, potatoes, chicken, long grain rice, eggs, vegetables. Plenty of spices.

No processed foods.

#57 Edited by shinjin977 (743 posts) -

@sexytoad said:

I'm trying to help out a little more in my family, so I decided to attempt to help lower the grocery bill and make a bit of, hopefully, tasty food. I'm wondering, what are other duders' methods?

I know rice and beans are usually cheap, so I would like to learn some recipes that make great use of them or any other food for that matter. Any help would be appreciated!

Well, first try to make homemade stuff as much as possible. You can make two weeks worth of French Bread with a 4$ bag of all-purpose flour, 6$ dry yeast and some water. You can look up the recipe on the internet. It usually takes about 1 hour to prep and bake. That cut down on a lot of my spending while I was in the US in college. It also free you up to spend a little more on quality meats and produces.

Other than that, you can look into making big pot of food that's both filling and last a long time. Big old pot of curry and stew comes to mind and they also goes well with your homemade bread. Best things about those type of dishes is that they taste even better as you reheat it over and over. Try not to buy canned food. It looks cheap at first but they taste disgusting and even though it might fill you up, it will leave your hunger unfulfilled for the most part. Also make lots of salads. Its cheap if you just buy a whole head of (put your greens choice here) put some seasoned, lightly cooked choice of animal/cheese/eggs on there.

Using the methods above I was able to make it through college while spending about 60-100 dollar a week on food. With how much I was saving I can even effort to eat out a lot of the time.

#58 Edited by SarcasticMudcrab (146 posts) -

Learn to make sponge. You cant get much cheaper than butter, flour, eggs and sugar, and you can win dinnertime, every time, with cake.

#59 Edited by Tireyo (6408 posts) -

I like getting food that can last for a couple of days like rice, soups, spaghetti, stews, canned foods, potatoes, hot dogs (there was a sell on them - $1 for an 8 pack), and cereal (Malt-O-Meal brand tastes like the on-brand). You can always freeze bread and MANY other foods you wouldn't think of freezing. Look for off brand foods too. Some taste just as good as the brand, and some do not.

There are many evenings where I've eaten a few hot dogs (no bun or chili), some fried potatoes, and green beans from a can.

If you want a dessert for your sweet tooth that will last a little while, then you can make a diabetic cake that turns out brownie like. Here's my recipe for it.

1 box of chocolate cake mix (Duncan Hines brand is my favorite)

1 twelve ounce can of diet coca cola or diet pepsi

1 jar of frosting of your choice (I prefer cream cheese frosting from Pillsbury)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Pour cake mix and can of coke into a large bowl and mix until there are no lumps in the batter. The mixture might feel a bit tough.

Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper (or you can spray the pan with non-stick spray, or lightly grease the pan with oil and lightly dust with flour afterward). Pour batter into pan. Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until knife or toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool before cutting and icing. Cake crumbs do fall apart easily so cut carefully with a sharp knife.

If you want a cake more for the season, then here's a pumpkin cake.

1 box of spice cake mix

1 (15 Ounce) of canned pumpkin

1 jar of cream cheese frosting.

Follow the directions for the other cake with the exception of ingredients and cook time, which is 25 to 30 minutes or until knife or toothpick comes out clean.

#60 Posted by mrfluke (5049 posts) -
#61 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll have to make a shopping list soon so I can put all your guys suggestions to work!

#62 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -
#63 Edited by Imst (61 posts) -

Yeah most of the suggestions are good :D

#64 Posted by Andorski (5178 posts) -

One of the things I do is buy meat (usually chicken, but I'll splurge once in a while on carne asada or tri tip), pan fry or bake it, and chop it up to eat with romain lettuce and dressing as a salad. Make sure to find out when your grocery store puts their meat on "manager's price" (this is when the meat is about to pass the date they are allowed to sell it to customers) so you can get it for cheap.