#1 Posted by RedLoopz (136 posts) -

Hi guys I'm 15, I live in Slovakia. 15 is the age when students end elementary school here and go to choose what they want to study. I chose Mechatronics. But this whole 1st week of school it was just stress and stress.

I get on the bus at 6:15 in the morning, then I get to the main city in about 1 hour(while standing in the bus the whole way through). Then I get on another bus, which I get off of after 5 min. Then I go to school. This year school will always end at 2:00 pm. But again add least an hour and a half to the traveling I'll be home around 3:30-4:00 pm. Then Im gona have a LOT of homework.

Im a good student I think(I had all As and only 3 Bs in elementay last year, but elementary was very easy compared to this, it was a breeze). Im the kind of guy who stresses and always takes notes and everything I double check, I triple check, I guess I work too hard?

I'm going to have very hard Math, I will have classes where I have to do technical drawings,etc. All of this makes me so stressed. I get very stressed and my mood just turns to sh*t when I think about waking up early and standing in the bus for like an hour, then go to school, do a lot of hard math,mechanic,electrics,physics,technical drawings, then travelling back home(sitting this time thank god!), doing all that homework and having almost no free time at all!.

Pls HELP! I dont want to stress and think about school but for some reason I always do!

Btw I will go to the school for 4 years.

#2 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

A few tips:

• Schedule your time:
    • Set aside clear hours of the day to focus on your homework, get it done early so you aren't also stressing about deadlines.
    • Ensure that your weekends are as free from school work as possible, that way you will have something to look forward to.
  • If you can listen to the radio or some podcasts while you work do so. Or even on your way to and from school.
  • Stop worrying! I don't know exactly how the education system works in Slovakia but honestly, High School doesn't deserve your stress.
#3 Posted by artofwar420 (6284 posts) -

Gotta make breakfast, but I'll come back with some of what helped me in those earlier years of schooling.

#4 Posted by RedLoopz (136 posts) -

@serhulse said:

A few tips:

• Schedule your time:
    • Set aside clear hours of the day to focus on your homework, get it done early so you aren't also stressing about deadlines.
    • Ensure that your weekends are as free from school work as possible, that way you will have something to look forward to.
  • If you can listen to the radio or some podcasts while you work do so. Or even on your way to and from school.
  • Stop worrying! I don't know exactly how the education system works in Slovakia but honestly, High School doesn't deserve your stress.

I do my homework and well all that needs to be done(schoolwork) right after I get home. Always have done. But I still have to spend a lot of time on it.

#5 Posted by leebmx (2238 posts) -

That sounds like hard work mate. But what exactly is stressing you out? Is it just the amount of work you have to do or is there something else?

If it is the work then you might have to grin and bear it and I think you will get used to it eventually. Remember it is just the first week and you will get better at your subject and used to the travelling - get some good podcasts, books or something to do on the journey. Also make sure you make the most of your spare time and make sure you have some time for yourself everyday. Taking time away from work will actually make the standard of work you do better than if you never give yourself a break.

You need to plan your time, and if you work too hard and are a bit of a perfectionist then you need spot when you are being obsessive and learn to stop working, even if this feels uncomfortable at first.

Have you talked to your classmates? How are they coping?

#6 Posted by Damodar (1342 posts) -

Firstly, it sucks losing that much of your day on commuting to/from school. What do you do on the bus? It might help if you can make that time more enjoyable. Trying too hard to maximise how you use your time is obviously just a recipe for more stress, but if you can make the bus trip more pleasant, that would be good. Maybe listen to some podcasts or play some mobile/handheld games, maybe even use the time to get some study done or something, depending on your tolerance for reading in cars (I end up getting motion sickness if I try to do that). Obviously, some of that isn't going to be practical if you don't have a seat etc.

I think you'll just fall in to a rhythm though. It's early days and it's a new routine for you. Give it time to get used to it. You're also studying something where presumably a lot of it is new to you. That's bound to be stressful, but once you get more comfortable with the subjects, it should be better.

I think you really just need a bit of time to adapt and work out your new routine. Time to get used to the actual schedule, time to develop study habits that work for you and reduce frustration etc

Good luck with that though. Mechatronics sounds so heavy metal/saturday morning cartoon.

#7 Posted by RedLoopz (136 posts) -

@leebmx said:

That sounds like hard work mate. But what exactly is stressing you out? Is it just the amount of work you have to do or is there something else?

If it is the work then you might have to grin and bear it and I think you will get used to it eventually. Remember it is just the first week and you will get better at your subject and used to the travelling - get some good podcasts, books or something to do on the journey. Also make sure you make the most of your spare time and make sure you have some time for yourself everyday. Taking time away from work will actually make the standard of work you do better than if you never give yourself a break.

You need to plan your time, and if you work too hard and are a bit of a perfectionist then you need spot when you are being obsessive and learn to stop working, even if this feels uncomfortable at first.

Have you talked to your classmates? How are they coping?

What is stressing me out is as you said, the amount of work and the travelling(mainly the morning travelling standing up and cramped in the bus for an hour everyday).

I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist as you said.

Now I dont know anyone in my class except my one friend from my elementary school who goes to class with me in this school too. The guy sitting next to me seems fine, but im not really a social kinda guy I guess(i know it might sound weird). I will ask him for help during class, say if I dont hear something well from the teacher so I just aks what the teacher said and stuff like that, but otherwise, I'm a loner I guess.

Now when it comes to taking breaks, I keep telling myself that I maybe should take a break, but for some reason I dont! For some reason I just want to do all the work in one sitting, no breaks and then have free time, but I dont get the free time anyway. So I guess I should just try to interupt my work and force myself to take a break. Right? Now how long should the break be?(i dont want you to tell me one number so that im limited but just a from-to, or should it be as long as i need it to be?) Man Im such a concerned, worried, stressed guy. FML

#8 Posted by Icemael (6316 posts) -

I'm not familiar with the Slovakian educational system, but if there exists a) an SAT-type test as an alternative path to university admission, and/or b) the possibility of raising your grade in a high school subject post-graduation, then high school really isn't very important. Throughout high school I didn't do homework once and skipped more than a third of my classes. I ended up failing seven subjects. Half a year after graduation I was admitted to one of the most attractive, hard-to-get-into university programs in the country. In retrospect, I wish I had skipped school more than I did.

Take it easy and prioritize having a good time over being a good student. Study hard only if you find the subject matter interesting -- don't spend more time on stuff you couldn't care less about than is absolutely necessary. That's my advice.

#9 Posted by artofwar420 (6284 posts) -

Here's one way to think about it. You're gonna have to do these things, right? So do them well, and make sure to find a safe and wholesome way to de-stress. Things like playing sports, or working out. Reading, and even games are fine, but don't neglect the physical aspect of it.

And when you get to be ready, sex is pretty awesome at dispelling pent-up stress. But please, use protection or you'll certainly be in for a treat at the baby isle.

#10 Edited by RedLoopz (136 posts) -

Here's one way to think about it. You're gonna have to do these things, right? So do them well, and make sure to find a safe and wholesome way to de-stress. Things like playing sports, or working out. Reading, and even games are fine, but don't neglect the physical aspect of it.

And when you get to be ready, sex is pretty awesome at dispelling pent-up stress. But please, use protection or you'll certainly be in for a treat at the baby isle.

lol no plans for sex so far, plus my class is boys only. thats right 21 boys, all boys. there are 4 girls in the other class. but i dont care bout that.

#11 Posted by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

oh boy, high school

relax and play some vidya or pick up a drinking habit or something

these are the last 4-5 years of your life where you have minimal responsibility and your worst problems are related to schoolwork

#12 Posted by AlexW00d (6235 posts) -

@icemael said:

I'm not familiar with the Slovakian educational system, but if there exists a) an SAT-type test as an alternative path to university admission, and/or b) the possibility of raising your grade in a high school subject post-graduation, then high school really isn't very important. Throughout high school I didn't do homework once and skipped more than a third of my classes. I ended up failing seven subjects. Half a year after graduation I was admitted to one of the most attractive, hard-to-get-into university programs in the country. In retrospect, I wish I had skipped school more than I did.

Take it easy and prioritize having a good time over being a good student. Study hard only if you find the subject matter interesting -- don't spend more time on stuff you couldn't care less about than is absolutely necessary. That's my advice.

Really, really, really, really don't listen to this guy. This has to be the worst advice I have ever seen being given.

-

Honestly, give it a couple more weeks, you may find yourself getting used to the new routine. Also as someone said before, as you're commuting for ~3 hours a day, try to find something you can do on said commute that will alleviate said stress; handheld gaming, podcasts, maybe even watching a film if you have a tablet/room to watch one.

#13 Posted by RenegadeSaint (1540 posts) -

It's a tough balance. High school is important, just not nearly as important as you think it is. Looking back, it was the most anxious period of my life for no good reason. I'm now a surgeon and routinely perform operations and care for critically ill patients, but I have a lot more life experience. So, simply put, life gets better when you gain an understanding for the wider world around you. Nothing is truly as bad or stressful as it seems when you know what others are going through.

#14 Posted by RedLoopz (136 posts) -

ok so to summarize what we have so far(gona go sleep now so just gona make a list o what u guys reccomended me so far):

-play phone games on the way back from school in the bus to pass the time and entertain myself(not on the morning bus cuz there im cramped and cant even move and i have to stand)

-dont study too hard, take brakes and dont study so much for all subjects, only the ones that are to me fun and interesting

add more things to the list maybe? anyway appreciate the help so far! keep commenting, i have to go to sleep! school tomorrow! :(

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@redloopz said:

-play phone games on the way back from school in the bus to pass the time and entertain myself(not on the morning bus cuz there im cramped and cant even move and i have to stand)

I'd say you could do some homework on the bus, if you're able to concentrate that well. Otherwise, phone games it is.

#16 Posted by believer258 (11785 posts) -

@redloopz said:

ok so to summarize what we have so far(gona go sleep now so just gona make a list o what u guys reccomended me so far):

-dont study too hard, take brakes and dont study so much for all subjects, only the ones that are to me fun and interesting

add more things to the list maybe? anyway appreciate the help so far! keep commenting, i have to go to sleep! school tomorrow! :(

No, you should probably study for everything. However, don't spend every waking minute studying. At some point, you stop concentrating. You lose focus and stop taking information in, and your brain needs a break. It's far more efficient to get some good studying in an hour than it is to keep your nose to the books for four and not memorize or understand anything.

As for that three hour bus ride, you might want to look into getting a 3DS or a PSVita. That sounds like prime time for some good portable gaming, especially in the evening where you can view it as a long break, especially for your mind. Borderlands 2 might be a good thing to play along these trips.

#17 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

It's tough in the beginning but you will get used to it over time. I studied engineering from morning till late afternoon, had a 3 hour commute (to and back) and was involved in my school's student union activities. There were night classes 1 or 2 times a week and I did this for 3 years. Manage your time properly and it'll get better. Ask your friends/classmates how they cope with it and see if you can study together to make things a little more tolerable. Oh and don't forget to have fun every once in awhile either! :)

#18 Posted by Herk (189 posts) -

High school in Slovakia sounds rough, I'll bet you're a lot smarter than us swedes at your age.

I also subscribe to the idea of listening to podcasts or music while studying, if you can without getting too distracted. You can get a lot of tedious work done and still be entertained at the same time!

#19 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2360 posts) -

Just a couple tips

• Get an iPod or MP3 player and load it with some tunes. Given the length of your commute, some podcasts might not be a bad idea.
  • Study when you feel up to it. Don't force yourself.
  • Stop attacking yourself and putting yourself down. If you need some support, try talking with your parents. (Or someone supportive)

High school can be tough at first but believe me you should fall into a groove after awhile and it's no big deal. Good luck!

#20 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

Something I found EXTREMELY useful in high school was to always sit back and think about how I was using my time. If there were points in my day where I could squeeze in something else (some homework, listening to a podcast, etc), I did it. I even did homework during a bunch of my easier classes, though it sounds like that may not be so much of an option for you.

High school for you sounds a lot more strenuous than it is for us in America though. Coming from a college perspective, find other people in the school to do work with. From the sounds of it, if everyone's got a bunch of work, at least a good amount of people probably want to group up to do it; do so! Grouping up for work makes it more fun (at least in my opinion), and often makes the work easier as well.

#21 Edited by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Are you enjoying the subject? If you are, just continue with it and try to set enough time to the side to decompress.

High school for me was awful. A combination of a lot of things lead to me having a lot of anxiety. Long story short, I ended up dropping out. I got my GED and went to college which I enjoyed a lot more.

So don't worry. It may be different there, but in America high school isn't the deciding factor on how the rest of your life will be.

#22 Posted by Noitwont (62 posts) -

I'd say you could do some homework on the bus, if you're able to concentrate that well. Otherwise, phone games it is.

This. I had really long days + commuting in high school. On my way home I could usually get through at least half of my homework for the day (don't try an do it in the morning). Nothing against phone games, but personally I would much rather work on the bus and then relax at home.

#23 Posted by awesomeusername (4174 posts) -

@redloopz said:

@artofwar420 said:

lol no plans for sex so far, plus my class is boys only. thats right 21 boys, all boys. there are 4 girls in the other class. but i dont care bout that.

Was going to say that but you stole my answer artofwar420.

Now listen here sonny. I'm going to have to give you "The Talk". So this is how it starts. Every lady has a....

On a serious note, do something you enjoy after you finish your homework or take breaks in between. You're on Giantbomb so obviously you play games. Play some video games. Or sex. That's all I can give you. I suck at advice.

Anyway, I stole this from someones profile so yeah, have a laugh.

#24 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5816 posts) -

Get some hookers and blow

#25 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Perhaps do the homework at school, then take the trip home and use the time on the bus to relax and enjoy some video games? I mean yeah you'd be home real late but eh at least when you're home, you're free. I always hated doing homework at home. I find mixing home life and work life to be difficult - I get distracted. I even stay at the office till midnight sometimes, Japanese salaryman style.

#26 Posted by elko84 (1061 posts) -

If you're stressed now, wait until life after school dude.

#27 Posted by jgf (383 posts) -

In my expierience you can only fight stress with the help of other people/friends. At university we formed learining and homework groups for each hard class. It helps when you see that others have similar problems. You can try to solve hard problems in a group, help people with a topic you understood well and let them help you at topic where you are clueless. It very much depends on finding the right people though. They should be dedicated to learn something, not to whine about school and drink beer.

But if you find the right people you can also make friends for life as a bonus. Working together and finishing a hard class somehow forms a bond. So ask around in your class. Perhaps someone even has the same commute.

#28 Posted by SilentPredator (130 posts) -

I know it is nothing like what I think it is, but I have to say: Mechatronics sounds like the coolest shit ever.

#29 Posted by benspyda (2033 posts) -

When I was at highschool, I just got all my assignments and work done as fast as possible, then I had lots of stress free, free-time. I used to have a pretty horrible bus commute too, I get your pain.

#30 Posted by Milkman (16646 posts) -

I'm not sure how things work in Slovakia so I can just give my perspective as an American.

Realize that nothing about the next four years will ever matter once it's over. Go to school, pass your classes, don't do anything fucking stupid and have fun.

#31 Posted by SunBroZak (1078 posts) -

Don't procrastinate, is my best advice. I procrastinated a lot in my later high school years, and it just made the whole experience all the more shitty. I was always stressed about missing deadlines, which lead to stress about getting into trouble for it. I was too busy trying to immerse myself in video-games and the internet that I never really thought about what my aspirations were, and hence I lost my motivation to study for my exams. Needless to say, it didn't go so well.

If you get on top of things, get your work done early and prepare yourself for all your tests, you'll have a much better time. And I wouldn't worry about the stress of travelling. Once you grow used to it, the stress will be gone.

#32 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Have (safe) sex with as many highschool girls as you can. This is the only time in your life where it'll be okay.

#33 Edited by thevigilanteoflove (504 posts) -

I know a lot of people in retrospect just say that high school is bullshit, but it serves a purpose. It can be stressful, but I found the best way to get through it is with friends. I enjoyed going to school for that very reason. I always had people who could make me laugh. Get involved in something you like if you have time for it, and if it's your thing and you can swing it, get to know some girls. Bummer about the crazy commute though. I never had to deal with that.

#34 Posted by RedLoopz (136 posts) -

So how exactly does high school work in america? Here, you can if you want to drop out of school after 10 years of going to school(so once reaching age around 16) but noone really does that and my parents would never let me do that. Is high school easy in the US? How long are you in school usually? From-To...,

Anyway so far thanks for the advice I have to say I kept telling myself not to stress today and I tried to ignore the stress and it actually went away! I wasnt constantly thinking about school stuff(while in school or on the bus).

Anyways keep the advice coming I find it really motivating! I like motivation!

#35 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

@redloopz: Exercise. It's a great stress reliever.

Start jogging. A 20 minute run a few times a week will do you wonders

#36 Edited by audioBusting (1503 posts) -

Surprised to see only 2 people recommending video games on a website forum about video games. Anyway, I was just going to recommend venting to someone, but you seem to have that covered already.

I guess one other advice I can offer is to try to focus on what about the subjects you are studying you enjoy the most. I find mathematics to be enjoyable when I solve problems as completely and formally as I can. The harder they are, the more satisfying it feels for me to solve them. But then I'm a total nerd, so pushing yourself even more might not work out for you =P.

Like everyone said, just don't stress out too much for high school stuff. Just relax with your friends and enjoy it while it lasts.

#37 Edited by Scampbell (496 posts) -

@mildmolasses said:

@redloopz: Exercise. It's a great stress reliever.

Start jogging. A 20 minute run a few times a week will do you wonders

I second that. I've now been running/jogging regularly for 9 years, not really for the sake of exercise but because it raises my energy level substantially. I feel more concentrated, happier and just have a general excess of energy to do stuff. The health benefits are just a bonus to me. I personally like to run at least 72 km (around 45 miles) every week, but that is just me.

I've heard serious mediation is great for this too.

I would also start looking for a place much closer to your school, travelling 2 hours a day sucks no matter what.

#38 Posted by OurSin_360 (842 posts) -

It all seems so stressful right now, but just relax man high school will be over before you know and then you'll long for the 'stress' of high school. Find some friends to study with, use your teachers for all they are worth (at least in the states they are obligated to help you outside of class for a certain amount of time if you need it). Make sure you take some time to wind down at least once or twice a week, don't let school take over your entire life. And most of all just relax and take your time doing your assignments, if you are struggling like i said get help and don't be ashamed about it.

If you have a 2 hour bus ride home, then that is the time where you need to be doing at least some of your assingnments, learn to use your time wisely. I've been 15, taught 15 year old's, and have a 15 year old nephew so i know a thing or 2 about the life of a 15 year old high school student lol. High school should be the time where you get introduced to hard work but still get to have some fun being a kid.

#39 Edited by laserguy (443 posts) -

Mechatronics? get thru school its the most important thing right now, then do what you want, College?

#40 Posted by captain_max707 (489 posts) -

As a high school senior who last year dealt with a serious bout of depression, I can give some tips to deal with stress.

Eat and drink plenty. A full stomach can be the difference between a crappy day and a bearable one.

Sleep. Avoid working late in to the night, having enough sleep and waking up feeling rested is fantastic. When work interferes with your sleep your stress levels tend to skyrocket and you feel physically terrible at school, which makes things that much harder.

Have someone you can talk to, whether it's a friend or teacher that you like and are comfortable with. Being able to vent your problems to someone you know cares for you is great, and this was especially important for me.

Having people you can work with also helps, as sometimes it can be hard to motivate yourself to get work done.

Have something in your life that you can be excited about. Whatever it may be, having something that you enjoy outside of school is very important. Have fun whenever possible!

There are plenty more things I could say, but these are some things that really helped me. Food and sleep may seem obvious, but do try to make sure you get enough of both. These are small things which really make a difference. One of my teachers who really helped me last year used to always keep me in at lunch when she knew I was having an especially hard day. She would give me something (sometimes from her own lunch) and make sure that I ate it. Stress can mess with your appetite, and I cannot emphasize enough that you need to take care of yourself above all, mentally and physically.

Good luck duder!

#41 Edited by FengShuiGod (1482 posts) -

Cocaine always helped me.

#42 Edited by CornBREDX (5096 posts) -

Just remember: School sucks but its much worse when you have a job and have to struggle to keep it.

So, enjoy school while you have it. You'll someday miss it.

#43 Posted by jewunit (1056 posts) -

I am sure all of the work seems like a lot at the start. I can't guarantee that your courses will get easier as you go, but you should try to find a style of studying that works for you. It might be different from the one you used in elementary school. Once you understand how you study best and put in the effort, the homework you have, whatever the work is, will gradually get easier to complete.

I would like to echo the sentiments about time management and taking time for yourself. You should try to follow a routine as best you can. If it works for you, consider writing out a weekly schedule which includes your classes, study time, and recreational time. You need to make some space for recreational time. Even if you feel overwhelmed with work, you need to separate a portion of your time for yourself. Use that space of time to be with friends, exercise, play video games, or whatever you want to do to relax. Be mindful of that time and enjoy it.

Best of luck with the new school year! Try to find enjoyment in your classes and remember why you decided Mechatronics in the first place. Hopefully, those reasons will motivate you to learn as much as you can.

#44 Edited by TehBuLL (604 posts) -

Smoke.

#45 Posted by Castiel (2572 posts) -

@icemael said:

That sounds like recipe for failure. Maybe you can get away with the in slacker America but you sure can't get away in most countries in Europe. That surely wouldn't work where I live.

#46 Posted by Icemael (6316 posts) -

@castiel: You should be able to "get away with it" anywhere as long as there exists a standardized university admission test -- provided, of course, that you have what it takes to do well on that test.

#47 Posted by psylah (2170 posts) -

Eat and drink plenty. A full stomach can be the difference between a crappy day and a bearable one.

Sleep. Avoid working late in to the night, having enough sleep and waking up feeling rested is fantastic.