#1 Posted by mattjam3000 (427 posts) -

Hi all,  I just got round to installing Spotify and it seems pretty awesome. However I thought this service had a free option? It seems in the top right I have a timer going down. Any ideas?

Regards,

Matt

#2 Posted by zudthespud (3278 posts) -

It used to be free, but sometime this year they changed it because it's not commercially viable. If you signed up since they changed it, you get 20 hours of free music per month. If you want the old version of free you must be invited by a premium member, I believe. I don't know how it works, but you could try to make multiple accounts to cut the timer.

#3 Posted by mattjam3000 (427 posts) -

Oh that sucks. Know where I can get a code?

#4 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -
@mattjam3000 said:
" Oh that sucks. Know where I can get a code? "
You buy a premium account from a store, or you hope that someone gives you an invite. However, I have never heard of any of my friends receiving invites when they bought Premium so.. I don't know. I made my account back when the UK could get it for free so I get all the music I want for free!
#5 Posted by mattjam3000 (427 posts) -

Grr surely they would make more money if it was free still so that more people listen to the wonderful adverts...

#6 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -
@mattjam3000 said:
" Grr surely they would make more money if it was free still so that more people listen to the wonderful adverts... "
One would think so, but considering that Spotify is getting more and more recognized (at least in Europe) they might make more off people buying their premium membership. And since the membership only lasts 1 month, they'll be back to regular members eventually and they can cash in on the ads again. I don't know, to be honest. A lot of things like this confuse me.
#7 Posted by CrazyCraven (152 posts) -
@mattjam3000: You should follow spotifys twitter account and visit their blog fairly frequently.  They announce when they free account sign-up. 

Also if you know anyone who uses spotify from time to time spotify users are given free accounts to gift to friends.  
#8 Posted by mattjam3000 (427 posts) -

Ok thanks for the advice guys

#9 Posted by Kieran_ES (258 posts) -

My 20 hours a month seems to reset every few days somehow so you may not need to worry about the limit.

#10 Posted by mattjam3000 (427 posts) -
@EndSarcasm said:
" My 20 hours a month seems to reset every few days somehow so you may not need to worry about the limit. "
That must be a bug I wouldnt tell anyone about that!
#11 Posted by Kieran_ES (258 posts) -
@mattjam3000: Ha, I don't intend to ..... oh.
#12 Posted by zudthespud (3278 posts) -
@mattjam3000 said:
" Grr surely they would make more money if it was free still so that more people listen to the wonderful adverts... "
I heard they weren't making enough money from all of the free accounts, which is why I assume they have dropped it. tbh, £4.99 a month for unlimited listening isn't bad. I've been listening to free for a few hours this afternoon and the ads are really annoying me.
#13 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

I looked at a youtube tutorial which told me how to bypass something on the site which was keeping me from signing up for a free account. This was a while ago though.

#14 Posted by hunkaburningluv (568 posts) -
@zudthespud said:
" It used to be free, but sometime this year they changed it because it's not commercially viable. If you signed up since they changed it, you get 20 hours of free music per month. If you want the old version of free you must be invited by a premium member, I believe. I don't know how it works, but you could try to make multiple accounts to cut the timer. "

can't you sign up for the add supported version? You just need to listen to an ad every 6 songs or so.
#15 Posted by wwfundertaker (1390 posts) -

My bro gets 20 hours a month and he's not a premium member.

#16 Edited by Detrian (1126 posts) -
@hunkaburningluv said:

" @zudthespud said:

" It used to be free, but sometime this year they changed it because it's not commercially viable. If you signed up since they changed it, you get 20 hours of free music per month. If you want the old version of free you must be invited by a premium member, I believe. I don't know how it works, but you could try to make multiple accounts to cut the timer. "
 can't you sign up for the add supported version? You just need to listen to an ad every 6 songs or so. "
His has ads too.

There's a free version with ads and a 20 hours monthly limit. (Open)
There's another free version with ads and NO limit plus radio mode but you need a premium user to send you an invite code. (Free)
There's a pay version with no limit or ads for 5 euro a month. (Unlimited)
And the top of the line "premium" with no limit, no ads and a bunch of other shit like better quality, mobile streaming and god knows what for 10 euro a month.

Edit: Also if you are a crazy person you can skip to another song before the song you are currently listening to ends and avoid all ads.