• 132 results
#1 Posted by Lashe (1246 posts) -

*cue X number of wanking jokes*.

In all seriousness I have had the worst week I think I have had in a while.

I'm a guitar tutor and I took a 6 week course recently with a group of people from the ages 7-53 who had had no experience and they had their performance on Sunday -- was stressed about that.

I am organising a charity gig on Friday and nothing at all is coming together the way I had wished and to top it all off my girlfriend broke up with me today haha.

At this point I'm willing to try anything to alleviate some sort of strain and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I have a bath.

#3 Posted by Inf225 (503 posts) -

Hmm... when im stressed out I like to take a nice evening walk and listen to some good music...

#4 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

Katamari Damacy helps tremendously.

#5 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I don't know if you already do a lot of it or not, but exercise is great for stress.  Then, take a nice hot bath or shower and sleep.  Sleep is a wonderful thing for the mind and body.

#6 Posted by Icemael (6316 posts) -

Well, I always think "it'll work out somehow" so I never really get stressed. In the rare cases when I do, I make a nice, hot cup of tea and play a relaxing video game(or watch some TV, doesn't matter if it's a shitty show or not as long as it lets me empty my brain).

#7 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

Pump iron with arnold.

#8 Edited by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -

many people are much more fucked up than you. that should help.

#9 Posted by Aaox (1657 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" I don't know if you already do a lot of it or not, but exercise is great for stress.  Then, take a nice hot bath or shower and sleep.  Sleep is a wonderful thing for the mind and body. "
That actually sounds great. I will do that... now.
*Exercise!*
#10 Posted by auspiciousqueue (1298 posts) -

I usually take walks, or just get away from things. Enjoy the great outdoors. 

#11 Posted by Expletive (1057 posts) -

listen to NIN and let yourself hate everything for a while, then take a bath and relax

#12 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Just take it easy and stop thinking about how things will turn out.  Only humans get "stressed".

#13 Posted by FlamingHobo (4482 posts) -

I listen to music or have a long hot shower, it clears my thoughts.

#14 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

Have a few drinks.

#15 Posted by Lashe (1246 posts) -
@EvilTwin: I actually do a lot of exercise which can help so long as I actually get that sleep after it haha which doesn't seem to be the case of late, hoping that'll be a bit different tonight though
#16 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

Well I was GOING to say "constant masturbation" but you had to go and spoil the fun, DIDN'T YOU!?

Nah, In all seriousness I play guitar. Although by the sound of it that's probably the last thing you want to hear.

#17 Posted by GaryOak (9 posts) -

If you have a trampoline, jump the shit out of that. Go as high as you possibly can. The sheer force does wonders.

#18 Posted by Skillface (563 posts) -

Listen to music, or play some RELAXING games. Keyword relaxing.

LIke a game you know you'll win at. Or Peggle.

#19 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

Punch things. Either at the gym with a boxing bag, or just stand over your bed and punch it as hard as you can until your arms don't work anymore.

#20 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1545 posts) -

There's a lot of good responses here for stress relief, much better than my "punch something" mentality.   Personally, I use music as an escape.  I've also been known to dibble and dabble in some video gaming to help take my mind off of things.

#21 Posted by Lashe (1246 posts) -

Haha. I might go try a midnight walk and see how that goes. Seems like the only suitable thing I can do at this hour. Thanks for everyone's suggestions though -- some I had really never thought of before too and I shall see how they go!

#22 Posted by mracoon (4967 posts) -

I play games and visit Giant Bomb.

#23 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -
Dwight Schrute Stress Ball
#24 Edited by Commando (1878 posts) -

Exercise does help you relax. 

Actually, just last week we discussed stress in one of my Exercise Science classes. We got off topic and talked about people turning to alcohol. 
A glass or 2 of red wine every night  is actually great for stress. There's something with red wine that helps regulate your blood pressure. Any alcohol will obviously help, but red wine has other chemicals in it that make it more effective than white wine, beer, or liquor.
A glass or 2 of red wine actually is good for your heart. 
#25 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
@Lashe said:
" Haha. I might go try a midnight walk and see how that goes. Seems like the only suitable thing I can do at this hour. Thanks for everyone's suggestions though -- some I had really never thought of before too and I shall see how they go! "
Don't get kidnapped, stabbed, raped, murdered and dumped in a levy.
#26 Edited by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

I do several things when I'm feeling down

• Listen to Ska music
  • Make fun of my friends
  • Belittle my friends whilst gaming over Xbox Live
  • Mix vodka with everything I drink
  • Play guitar and bass
  • Mastubate incessantly
  • Watch Comedy Central
#27 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

Lifting.

When I'm in the gym the only thing im worried about is the next set.
#28 Posted by Elemental_89 (56 posts) -

Atmosphere makes for good ''break up'' music, then throw some rocks at bigger rocks, or punch things.
Go for a run, or play a sport (a bunch of free throws in basketball helps me cos its not tooo difficult)
Make a cup of tea, grab some jaff cakes, then smoke weed whilst listening to jazz/funk/soul music.

#29 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

Listen to jazzy music. Then I start sampling it if its good and make a beat. OR I play a video game like GTA that allows for gratuitous killing or silliness.
Drinks with friends are also always good.

#30 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

I play video games. Try something low key, Noby Noby Boy comes to mind.

#31 Edited by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -

I think my girlfriend has hypnotized or conditioned me or something, but now when Im stressed out at home, I tend to put on the the ipod with bombcast or gamesradar, rebel fm, and compulsively,  passive-aggressively clean the kitchen. I don't know how she did it.

I just cleaned the litter box, took out the trash, and did the dishes after arguing about laptop usage.

#32 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

When I'm stressed I have to completely drop and forget about all my work and play a video game, watch a movie, listen to some music or something like that. That's the only way I can really relieve stress.

#33 Posted by buzz_clik (6969 posts) -

I don't really get stressed much, but when I do I go to one of two extremes. I'll either go really quiet (then people def know something's up) or I'll rant... and punch a kitten.

#34 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

play video games that doesnt take that much of thinking, or take a nap

#35 Posted by Captain_Insano (1535 posts) -

by being passive aggressive. I'm a bad person

#36 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -
@Lashe said:
" *cue X number of wanking jokes*.In all seriousness I have had the worst week I think I have had in a while. I'm a guitar tutor and I took a 6 week course recently with a group of people from the ages 7-53 who had had no experience and they had their performance on Sunday -- was stressed about that. I am organising a charity gig on Friday and nothing at all is coming together the way I had wished and to top it all off my girlfriend broke up with me today haha. At this point I'm willing to try anything to alleviate some sort of strain and any advice would be greatly appreciated. "
Any form of meditation will help. Close your eyes and breath in and count 1 in your head than breath out and count 2. Do the same thing with 3 and 4. Keep repeating this for 20 minutes and try not to think of anything but what you are doing. Clear your mind.
#37 Posted by ahriman22 (2747 posts) -
@Lashe: Stressing out about gigs sucks. You just need to go with the flow and not care. Gigs usually DON'T set up or go the way you want to, that's where you have to mold yourself to the situation. I've had to play with cracked cymbals and with skins with holes in the them and I still did it and the audience still liked it.
#38 Posted by Optiow (1745 posts) -

I like to play video games or go on the computer or read a book...anything that distracts me from the stress.

#39 Posted by ROBdaMOB (174 posts) -

smoke some weed
then play you favorite games

#40 Posted by Lashe (1246 posts) -
@ahriman22: Yeah I know, but as well as playing at this gig I'm actually the one setting it up so I have to worry about the overheads, hall hire, pa hire, ticket design and distribution, advertising, security.. It's a nightmare haha.

I actually went for that walk (with my iPod) and returned about 3/4 this morning and managed to catch 6 hours sleep so a big shout out to the guys who recommended that one!
#41 Posted by Agnogenic_delete (1034 posts) -
@Optiow said:
" I like to play video games or go on the computer or read a book...anything that distracts me from the stress. "
Same here. I like to dive into a world that isn't my own.
#42 Posted by natetodamax (19192 posts) -

Listening to music or playing Fallout 3.

#43 Posted by teh_destroyer (3566 posts) -

taking a day off seems to work wonders.........

#44 Posted by NukeGoBoom (492 posts) -

Pissed off stress: Throw my cat around the room like the horrible human bieing t hat i am.
Worried stress: Play with my cat.

#45 Posted by darkspirit138 (479 posts) -

Depends what kinda stress.
 Game stress-When you keep getting raped in games. Play flower.
 Angry stress-When you are angry with somebody. Play flower, or go outside.
 Impatient stress-When people think your stress is being impatient. Eat something.

#46 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

I just lie down in front of the TV watching tivo'd shows with my dog if I'm stressed or play a fun video game if I have one at the time.

#47 Posted by Osaladin (2515 posts) -

Play some sports, work out, or go at it with a punching bag. Anything really that is physical, if I had a girlfriend, sex.

#48 Posted by Adamantium (885 posts) -

One word: Little Big Planet

#49 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

Play Video Games while listening to music

#50 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1869 posts) -

take a long rest, or go and do some sports for a bit. that always relieves me of stress. computers and video games dont help, because they will drain your energy, and wont remove the stress.