• 51 results
#1 Posted by freakin9 (1113 posts) -

I'm sure we've all been there, whether it be making a speech, getting up on a stage, a blind date, etc. where you almost want to run away from the situation but you have to talk yourself into pushing through. I guess the most common answer would be, don't be a pussy and just do it. But I'm curious if people have a process they go through... or if they simply run the hell away. 80

#2 Posted by Nightriff (4991 posts) -

When ever I've had to speak in public the best thing for me is to crack a few jokes in the beginning, make them laugh a bit (usually at me expense) and that helps me relax a bit. If I'm really nervous I try to find someone in the audience to focus on that at least seems interested in what I'm saying, that helps me be more confident in what I'm saying and usually a better speech.

#3 Posted by liako21 (520 posts) -

diaphragmatic breathing. Cracking a joke at the beginning really helps me as well.

#4 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5816 posts) -

When it came to speaking in public I would just tell myself that things would turn out much worse if I was visibly nervous. That usually helped me keep calm, even if just a little bit.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I don't.

#6 Posted by Chop (1996 posts) -

I don't. I let anxiety control my life.

#7 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I don't.

#8 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Consult with my Brain Wife.

#9 Posted by DrDust (31 posts) -

Confidence

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

Consult with my Brain Wife.

But aren't you a moderately attractive, fairly bored lady?

#11 Posted by Korolev (1704 posts) -

Everyone in my family has anxiety issues to a greater or lesser degree. I probably have the least issues, but I still get anxiety at times. Whenever I do, I take a long pause and try to sort out exactly what is causing the anxiety. If I know what it is, I run off to solve it/do it as quickly as possible. If I can't pinpoint the cause, I do something I know will make me happy and will 1) Take time to do and 2) Occupying my mind. From experience, there's nothing worse than sitting there, worrying about your anxiety, because that just makes everything worse.

#12 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Just go in thinking that youre going to do great

#13 Edited by stryker1121 (1403 posts) -

@freakin9: What are you anxious about? Anticipation of a thing is usually worse than the thing itself, I find. Few months back I had a job interview I was really stressed about (had been years since I'd been on one and was way out of practice), but once I got into that office, collected myself, got my thoughts together, etc, things went OK. I also made sure to come prepared w/ an extra copy of my resume and some questions for my interrogators, er, interviewers. Didn't get the gig, mind you, but it was excellent practice nonetheless. Ain't nothing to it but to do it, I guess.

#14 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (534 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I don't.

#15 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Masturbation.

#16 Posted by Max_Cherry (1133 posts) -

XanaX.

#17 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: I wish.

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

Masturbation.

You know, when they say "imagine everybody in their underwear", you're not supposed to act on those visions.

#19 Posted by Driadon (2997 posts) -

Terribly. I can usually push though on-the-spot anxiety, but it has led to some crazy weird physical habits that kind go rampant in the rest of my life. Don't worry, getting a therapist stat.

#20 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

if i knew how, my life would be way better lol

#21 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Uhh just going through it. Pushing on.

#22 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

medication.

#23 Posted by freakin9 (1113 posts) -

@stryker1121 said:

@freakin9: What are you anxious about? Anticipation of a thing is usually worse than the thing itself, I find. Few months back I had a job interview I was really stressed about (had been years since I'd been on one and was way out of practice), but once I got into that office, collected myself, got my thoughts together, etc, things went OK. I also made sure to come prepared w/ an extra copy of my resume and some questions for my interrogators, er, interviewers. Didn't get the gig, mind you, but it was excellent practice nonetheless. Ain't nothing to it but to do it, I guess.

What prompted this thread was suddenly feeling anxiety calling back a girl. I mean clearly the girl likes me, there's nothing to be anxious about. I think I'm doing the talking my way through approach right now. ;)

#24 Posted by csl316 (8450 posts) -

Well, I play a lot of guitar to ease stress. Or just certain music helps.

The main thing for me, though, is the old quote "this too shall pass." I just keep in mind that whatever I'm nervous about is only temporary. In college, it was final speeches or whatever. And I'd think, by 1 o'clock this will be over and it'll feel awesome. In about 20 hours I'll be on vacation. But this whole week of work has been sort of brutal as I try to finish everything up. But hey... soon I'll be on vacation and being stressed will no longer matter, hurrah.

Unless your problem is fairly long term or permanent. Then you just gotta deal.

#25 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Also, make sure to listen to some music.

#26 Posted by SpanxMcFranks (88 posts) -

I tell myself "Welp, you got into this mess. It will be a lot easier to do this than to try and find a way out." Then I try and remember that no one really cares how you do in most cases, and most people are probably not even paying attention.

#27 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4969 posts) -

Smoking.

#28 Edited by handlas (2675 posts) -

Anxiety because you are nervous about calling a girl?

I'm not sure you know what a true anxiety attack is then, lol. I went through horrible, debilitating anxiety attacks my last year of college and a little while thereafter. Not sure why it suddenly began for me; never had any issues before that. I'm over it now. It is all in your head, and I knew it was. You just have to overcome it yourself. I avoided meds at all cost (I did go to the doctor just to get a check up and make sure nothing was wrong). The best way to overcome it is to put yourself in the situations that cause the anxiety and try to deal with it.

#29 Edited by freakin9 (1113 posts) -

@handlas said:

Anxiety because you are nervous about calling a girl?

I'm not sure you know what a true anxiety attack is then, lol. I went through horrible, debilitating anxiety attacks my last year of college and a little while thereafter. Not sure why it suddenly began for me; never had any issues before that. I'm over it now. It is all in your head, and I knew it was. You just have to overcome it yourself. I avoided meds at all cost (I did go to the doctor just to get a check up and make sure nothing was wrong). The best way to overcome it is to put yourself in the situations that cause the anxiety and try to deal with it.

I'm certainly not saying the anxiety I'm feeling right now is large, and I have certainly had my lower moments in life as well. It might just be a childhood thing for some, where you are so confused about the world that everything seems larger than it is.

Often times you start convincing yourself you don't want to do something and that can be the worst. Delusion is not a way to go through life.

#30 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

I don't. I get up everyday and make it the best.

#31 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

Just take it one day at a time cliche cliche cliche

#32 Posted by CaLe (3959 posts) -

I retreat into my shell and tell myself I'm a teenage mutant ninja turtle and that things will be OK... some day things will be OK, right? Things always turn out well in the movies and my life is just like the movies.. Just like the movies.

#33 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i don't speak in public. i just kind of forget where i am and start talking.

#34 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Weed, Alcohol, Masturbation, Video Games.

#35 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@liako21 said:

diaphragmatic breathing. Cracking a joke at the beginning really helps me as well.

I think failing would make you more anxious though.

#36 Posted by SupernormalStep (203 posts) -

forgetting to breath and then a period of crippling fear. I'm testing out an over the counter stress/anxiety reducing medicine though, it seems to work alright so far.

#37 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3071 posts) -

Badly. Extremely badly.

#38 Posted by jonano (365 posts) -

Man I had social anxiety disorder for years and it turn out that it was a chemical imbalance in my brain but it's cured now yay , Yeah I have felt so incredibly nervous that it actually physically hurt and panic attacks so now regular nerves are nothing in comparison I don't even really notice them any more. Thats how I get over anxiety I remember how bad it was before and go man this isn't real nerves .

#39 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

Masturbation.

On stage, as you're giving a speech.

#40 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@BestUsernameEver said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Masturbation.

I'm extremely comfortable with my body.
#41 Posted by SarjuTheRapper (279 posts) -

a lethal cocktail of drugs and forgetting to give a fuck

#42 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Masturbation.

I'm extremely comfortable with my body.

I hope the audience is too. Maybe cheering you on perhaps, that would help lower anxiety I bet.

#43 Posted by Sparklykiss (1955 posts) -

I let it build up and have freak out moments in private. Yep.

#44 Posted by iShayman (91 posts) -

A certain type of my anxiety comes from the feeling that I'm not being productive or that I'm not doing anything with my life. To remedy that, I usually do the dishes or some other menial chore to feel like I'm getting stuff done. It sounds dumb, but it's helped me at times. Breathing exercises have also been a big help.

It's also important to realize that it will likely pass. I know it probably sounds trite, but just try to stick it out.

#45 Posted by dagas (2813 posts) -

This might seem silly to some, but I started praying to God and I mean the real deal, on my knees and everything. When I thought something had happened to my girlfriend I prayed that she was alright. A day later it turned out it was just technical problems that was preventing our messages from reaching each other. I'm not saying I've become a full on devoted Christan all of a sudden, but it helped a little bit. If only because it is the only thing you can do when you are in a situation where you are completely powerless.

#46 Posted by Jayesslee (105 posts) -

Sleep more!

#47 Posted by RUDEMIESTER (56 posts) -

I just do what needs to be done and imagine that no one cares what I do or say because in reality they don't. I just do what i'm there to do and move in.

#48 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Drink copious amounts of caffeine and ram my head into walls.

#49 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

#50 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Oh shit, I thought we were talking about crippling anxiety that induces panic attacks and shit.

Calling a girl? Swallow your pride and call her. The worst that can happen is you get turned down harshly. Guess what the worst thing is if you DON'T call.. never knowing if she might've said yes.

Come on.