#1 Posted by bwheeeler (452 posts) -

I see a lot of people shit on Instagram, and I was kind of with them for a while. But it turns out I actually knew nothing about it and now I kind of really like Instagram!

1) It's a full-fledged social network! You can connect to Facebook and Twitter to find all your friends who are using it. I always thought it was just a way to get pictures onto other social networks, but it's totally its own thing.

2) It can make your pictures look pretty good! I don't know a single thing about photography, but Instagram's tools are so simple that it makes my pictures look a whole, whole lot better than whatever I was taking with my dumb cell phone camera without doing more than a minute or two of fiddling. I really like having pictures that are nice to look at instead of the bland shit I had before.

Okay, so two things is all I guess. I just wanted to say maybe give Instagram a try! Here's an Instagram pic of my really nice dog.

#2 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

How I feel about Instagram: Meh.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

How I feel about Instagram:

#4 Posted by CaLe (3985 posts) -

I don't have a camera so.. yeah. That's what I think of instagram.

#5 Edited by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

I imagine one of the most depressing jobs currently is working in the R&D department for the companies that make cameras and lenses for mobile phones. Every day you work hard so that you can develop smaller, better, clearer technology. Then everyone goes batshit for an cheap app that effectively renders your job pointless.

#6 Posted by The_Nubster (2148 posts) -

I think Instagram makes people who aren't photographers feel like they're good at photography.

#7 Posted by Vexxan (4621 posts) -

It makes pictures pretty, I guess.

#8 Posted by BrandonPckrfn (71 posts) -

Eh, I didn't buy a decent camera to have my pictures look like sometime took a crap on it.

#9 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Instagrams are for the birds

#10 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

How I feel about Instagram: Meh.

@Video_Game_King said:

How I feel about Instagram:

Yup, don't really care one way or the other. I thought that clip was pretty funny, though.

#11 Edited by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Between facebook and instagram I can immediately find out how detestable someone is by the number of pictures they take of themselves. So it's pretty cool.

#12 Posted by kindgineer (2726 posts) -

Instagram, if I remember correctly, was a pain in the ass to take multiple pictures. If that is still so, than it's a big crap in my department.

#13 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

I think Instagram makes people who aren't photographers feel like they're good at photography.

This. I am by means a photographer yet, but I am learning. I didn't spend 700 bucks on a T3i kit, another 400 on 2 lenses for everyone with a phone to think they are a photographer. Same way as people that edit YouTube videos (unless they are getting 4million hits on average) are NOT an Editor or Videographer.

#14 Posted by kumquat (128 posts) -

I totally recognize its neatness, yet have absolutely no interest in using it.

#15 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

I guess it's cool if you're interested.

I'm not, I took half a year to take a picture of my own self and put it on Facebook.

#16 Posted by RUDEMIESTER (56 posts) -

I feel like people who use instagram are liars. There's nothing wrong with editing some cool filters into your photos, but when you make something like your ugly face look pretty and artistic it surfaces a rather annoying problem. It's like giving everyone who sees your pictures Beer Goggles.

#17 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

The website looks pretty nice. Clean and simple with a good contrast in colors. Other than that, eh

#18 Posted by DemBones (69 posts) -

It doesn't bother me any, people can do whatever they please with their pictures.

#19 Posted by Death_Burnout (3797 posts) -

As a fledgling photographer it does make my life a little difficult, because it does make everyone's random images look pretty nice, but to assume a filter is what makes a photo 'good' is more than a little off. It's what you take, and how you take it. If it's good it's good. Luckily for me as an art photographer there are a 'million' other ways to make images whether digital or through process. So no real worries.

#20 Edited by gunslingerNZ (1903 posts) -

@bwheeeler: It can also make your photos look like total arse. Often the simulated bokeh looks like an awful blurry mess and the filmgrain effects can be just as bad. It does make people think their photos look creative and artistic though I guess.

Case in point, while you're dog does indeed look adorable that photo could be a whole lot better. His eyes and nose should be in sharp focus with a shallow depth of field falling off quickly into a nice smooth bokeh. Instead the entire photo is blurry, it's not a bad photo but it could be a whole lot better if those effects were real not simulated.

#21 Posted by JOSHardson (79 posts) -

@gunslingerNZ said:

@bwheeeler: It can also make your photos look like total arse. Often the simulated bokeh looks like an awful blurry mess and the filmgrain effects can be just as bad. It does make people think their photos look creative and artistic though I guess.

Case in point, while you're dog does indeed look adorable that photo could be a whole lot better. His eyes and nose should be in sharp focus with a shallow depth of field falling off quickly into a nice smooth bokeh. Instead the entire photo is blurry, it's not a bad photo but it could be a whole lot better if those effects were real not simulated.

This is how I feel. I'm a hobbyist photographer and instagram is not meant for uploading your high res DSLR photo to. It's a tool to make your crappy cellphone pictures a bit more palatable. I find it fun to use on cell camera photos, though a high quality camera will always take a technically better picture in a similar situation.

#22 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3872 posts) -

Instagram is fine. Two things though I'd have to echo from points The Chan made.

1.Take the picture clean THEN apply a doofy filter if you feel the need to. Then you still have that original photograph.

2.CURATE YOUR DAMN FEED! You don't need to put up a sepia picture of every damn thing you do.

But yeah I like the app.

#23 Posted by natetodamax (19207 posts) -

Some photos modified in Instagram look okay. Many others, though, just look like they have a coating of mustard on them.

#24 Posted by AlisterCat (5568 posts) -

I enjoy it. The colour balance in my photos is already awful, so I like to be able to do something about that. If it wasn't for instagram I'd just take it in to Photoshop.

#25 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

Yeah. Nah.

#26 Posted by mlarrabee (2962 posts) -

My only feelings regarding Instagram:

Facebook was already holding a gun to its temple when it remembered it had forgotten to load the thing, so Facebook put a one billion dollar Instagram in the chamber and returned the gun to its head. But it wasn't going to pull the trigger for another eight to eighteen months.

True story.