• 62 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by AcidBrandon18 (652 posts) -

I prefer mine Maruchan(Chicken flavor). I go with two packs of ramen with only one pack of flavor. I also dump out all the water out after cooking. How do you guys like your ramen?

#2 Posted by Marcsman (2876 posts) -

I don't like ramen period. The days of me being a struggling teenager are long over.

#3 Posted by CaLe (3678 posts) -

I like my ramen to be transformed into yakisoba.

#4 Edited by Splodge (710 posts) -

I generally like Koka Noodles, the chicken flavour:

I prepare them one of three ways:

A) Put a small amount of water in the pan, boil em up, then near the end add in the flavor. Then, I butter some toast. Add noodles onto slice of toast, fold toast over, and consume with great celebration and joy.

B) While the pack is sealed, I gently smoosh up all the noodles with my fist. I don't crush them to a powder or anything, I just make em crumbly. I then put the crushed noodles in a microwaveable bowl and pour in enough water to cover them. Microwave for about 3 mins and 30 secs, stir a bit, add flavour, then microwave for another 2 mins or so. Toast is optional. I will also sometimes take half a slice of american cheese and mix it in to make it kind of goopy and cheesy.

C) After cooking the noodles in the normal way, I take the large end of a tennis racket and fasten each individual strand around the strings. I then compete in Wimbledon, and win. At the after-party, I slowly turn from ecstatic to maudlin as I realize the only reason I have so many friends is because I am so great at tennis. No one cares about the noodles, even though they do all the work. It is a long drive back home, and even though it's not raining, it's hard to see the road. My tears are the rain, the noodles my only friend.

#5 Edited by Snail (8470 posts) -

Um, one packet of flavor per one packet of noodles. I drink the water, even though I keep wondering what exactly that does to my health.

Not a fan of pre-made cooking though. I eat them when unfortunate circumstances lead me to it (not to say that can't taste good).

#6 Edited by ch3burashka (4907 posts) -

I like my rammin' hot.

EDIT: Just in case that went over people's faces:

#7 Edited by audioBusting (1304 posts) -

These are really good. I usually cook one or two per person at once, cool it down with cold water and ice, mix in all the flavoring and top it with cucumbers, fresh spring onion, shredded omelette and whatever else is in the fridge.

#8 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4029 posts) -

You throw some cooked mushroom into a pork/beef/creamy mushroom packet.

Or the 'Teriyaki Tuna Ramen' recipe I have is usually my go-to.

#9 Posted by Splodge (710 posts) -

These are really good. I usually cook one or two per person at once, cool it down with cold water and ice, mix in all the flavoring and top it with cucumbers, fresh spring onion, shredded omelette and whatever else is in the fridge.

+10 internet points if next time you make it look exactly like the serving suggestion and post a pic here.

#10 Posted by RandomHero666 (3174 posts) -

@splodge: Koka noodles are the best, but I prefer curry, or beef, or both combined.

The only extra thing I sometimes eat with it, is chicken or bacon chopped and mixed in, or just eating it with bread.

#11 Edited by falserelic (4948 posts) -

Chicken flavor with hot sauce, pepper, garlic powder, and with meat that's available. Then throw it in the microwave for afew minutes and I'm good to go. Sometimes I might go ahead and throw crackers in it.

#12 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1213 posts) -

I like the occasional "crappy" ramen packets, chicken or beef. I just add 2 jalapeno slices when boiling the water to make it spicy.

#13 Edited by Splodge (710 posts) -

@splodge:

Koka noodles are the best, but I prefer curry, or beef, or both combined.

The only extra thing I sometimes eat with it, is chicken or bacon chopped and mixed in, or just eating it with bread.

I have never done mixed flavors. I have also never added chicken/bacon. I might do it tonight and report back.

#14 Posted by Sin4profit (2870 posts) -

Lime Chili Shrimp, i always cooked mine until the noodles absorbed most of the water.

..Though, i'm pretty sure the shrimp are steroid injected Sea Monkeys

#15 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (2597 posts) -

I eat mine super spicy with a raw egg broiled with it.

#16 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

Still wrapped in the package, on the shelf in the store. I like real food.

#17 Posted by StarvingGamer (7565 posts) -
#18 Posted by Splodge (710 posts) -
#19 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

I avoid too much salt. I do two packages of noodles with about 2/3 of one package of powder right in the boiling water from the start with some curry powder. I like to over cook it til it's gooey, then drain, then add some curry chicken with onions and carrots that I prepare before in for a bit of stir fry. Add some stir fry sauce, more curry powder, cook for a bit. Then eat.

Highly recommended.

@missacre said:

Still wrapped in the package, on the shelf in the store. I like real food.

Turns out noodles are food. Surprising, I know.

#20 Posted by YOU_DIED (695 posts) -

#21 Posted by Deusx (1879 posts) -

@splodge said:

I generally like Koka Noodles, the chicken flavour:

I prepare them one of three ways:

A) Put a small amount of water in the pan, boil em up, then near the end add in the flavor. Then, I butter some toast. Add noodles onto slice of toast, fold toast over, and consume with great celebration and joy.

B) While the pack is sealed, I gently smoosh up all the noodles with my fist. I don't crush them to a powder or anything, I just make em crumbly. I then put the crushed noodles in a microwaveable bowl and pour in enough water to cover them. Microwave for about 3 mins and 30 secs, stir a bit, add flavour, then microwave for another 2 mins or so. Toast is optional. I will also sometimes take half a slice of american cheese and mix it in to make it kind of goopy and cheesy.

C) After cooking the noodles in the normal way, I take the large end of a tennis racket and fasten each individual strand around the strings. I then compete in Wimbledon, and win. At the after-party, I slowly turn from ecstatic to maudlin as I realize the only reason I have so many friends is because I am so great at tennis. No one cares about the noodles, even though they do all the work. It is a long drive back home, and even though it's not raining, it's hard to see the road. My tears are the rain, the noodles my only friend.

Fuck, you win man. I love you.

#22 Posted by ShaggE (5985 posts) -

Maruchan spicy chicken. Sadly, I can't find that flavor anymore, so beef and shrimp are my runners-up. I really should stop, though, as I'm pretty sure it's the single unhealthiest soup in existence.

#23 Edited by EvilKatarn (464 posts) -

Favorites are definitely Shin Ramyun, Thai Choice's Tom Yum and some Curry Sobas. They're all so good.

I prepare them all the same way. Boil them in water, crack an egg or two in there, serve as a soup and garnish with loads of sesame seeds and nori. During the summer I'll throw loads of vegetables in there as well - carrots, tomatoes, paprika and chili. Brilliant stuff.

I know it's shit food and killing my body but it's so good.

#24 Posted by sub_o (646 posts) -

I prefer Indomie rasa kaldu ayam. Have enough water to cover half a bowl, then boil that water along with the seasoning. When the water boils, add in the noodles, an egg, and you can add chill peppers or onion. Cook it so that the noodle is al-dente, that is soft but still firm, it will still be bouncy when you chew it.

Add fried shallots as the topping and serve it. There should be only half a bowl of soup enough to cover the noodle, so that the taste is concentrated.

#25 Edited by gaminghooligan (1347 posts) -

Beef flavor, about a minute before the cooking finishes up I dump the flavor pack in so it boils in the broth. After that I dump about 75% of the water out and enjoy. Also I like the chicken flavor with an egg.

#26 Posted by shinjin977 (707 posts) -

So we are talking about instant noodle? I don't like instant ramen at all (go to your local japanese place and try a real ramen), but the instant Thai Tom Yum noodles are awesome.

#27 Posted by Scrawnto (2413 posts) -

Beef, pork, or chili flavored, with an egg or two poached with the noodles, and a couple shakes of crushed red pepper.

@splodge: Well damn. After reading that, my technique seems pretty weak. Never been a fan of American cheese myself, though.

#28 Posted by Nekromantix87 (40 posts) -

I don't eat ramen all that much anymore, but when I used to, it was the uncooked, plain, cheap stuff, usually. If I did eat it, it was usually a case of knowing I needed to eat something but had nothing else available. Not too fond of soups in general.

#29 Edited by Missacre (566 posts) -

I avoid too much salt. I do two packages of noodles with about 2/3 of one package of powder right in the boiling water from the start with some curry powder. I like to over cook it til it's gooey, then drain, then add some curry chicken with onions and carrots that I prepare before in for a bit of stir fry. Add some stir fry sauce, more curry powder, cook for a bit. Then eat.

Highly recommended.

@missacre said:

Still wrapped in the package, on the shelf in the store. I like real food.

Turns out noodles are food. Surprising, I know.

I suppose it is, if you like your food full of preservatives and artificial shit in it.

#30 Posted by Splodge (710 posts) -

@missacre said:

@artisanbreads said:

I avoid too much salt. I do two packages of noodles with about 2/3 of one package of powder right in the boiling water from the start with some curry powder. I like to over cook it til it's gooey, then drain, then add some curry chicken with onions and carrots that I prepare before in for a bit of stir fry. Add some stir fry sauce, more curry powder, cook for a bit. Then eat.

Highly recommended.

@missacre said:

Still wrapped in the package, on the shelf in the store. I like real food.

Turns out noodles are food. Surprising, I know.

I suppose it is, if you like your food full of preservatives and artificial shit in it.

Unless you are eating vegetables you have grown yourself and meat you have butchered yourself, guess what? All your food has preservatives in it. They even irradiate most food nowadays so it lasts longer, that includes store bought vegetables. If you live in America, there's a good chance you have eaten genetically modified vegetables and hormone grown meat without even knowing it as the grocery lobby has successfully lobbied to disallow intelligent labeling of food. Some bakeries even add small amounts of bleach to their flour to whiten the bread. Ramen isn't the worst shit out there. It's not exactly good for you, but it's not terrible either. Everything in moderation.

That said, last night I ate an entire carton of Jaffa Cakes.

#31 Edited by TooWalrus (12976 posts) -

This girl from the Philippines introduced me to these and god damn, they're just about the best thing I've ever eaten.

#32 Posted by Zelyre (983 posts) -

Nissin Noodles. I don't eat ramen because I have to. I eat it because I have a craving, and when I crave ramen noodles, I want the OG.

It's a bit of a comfort food to me. When I first spent an extended time in Hong Kong, it's the only food that felt familiar to my ten year old mind.

When I do make them, I boil water and toss in the brick. I constantly try to loosen the noodles, and once they start to loosen, I take them off the stove. The noodles are then rinsed until the water runs clear and then are put in a bowl.

Water is added back to the pot. Then the seasoning, then the sesame oil. I cut some fresh chives up. If I have leftover meat from somewhere, it goes in the pot. Depending on what vegetables I have, I may toss in a leafy green, or perhaps corn, or mushrooms, or a combination. I may drop an egg in there. Then the noodles go back in and the little bits that broke off the brick get dumped in as well.

It's probably one of my favorite ways of consuming a pork or beef roast. Especially the later; I cook my beef roasts to rare and reheating them makes it... not so good. Sliced paper thin, the cuts of beef roast get placed on top of the noodles right before serving.

#33 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

@missacre said:

@artisanbreads said:

I avoid too much salt. I do two packages of noodles with about 2/3 of one package of powder right in the boiling water from the start with some curry powder. I like to over cook it til it's gooey, then drain, then add some curry chicken with onions and carrots that I prepare before in for a bit of stir fry. Add some stir fry sauce, more curry powder, cook for a bit. Then eat.

Highly recommended.

@missacre said:

Still wrapped in the package, on the shelf in the store. I like real food.

Turns out noodles are food. Surprising, I know.

I suppose it is, if you like your food full of preservatives and artificial shit in it.

Right. Enjoy your food that you have grown in your backyard pal.

#34 Posted by Levio (1781 posts) -

Dan-dan ramen demolishes all the competitors. It makes everything else seem tasteless.

#35 Posted by Splodge (710 posts) -

@zelyre said:

Nissin Noodles. I don't eat ramen because I have to. I eat it because I have a craving, and when I crave ramen noodles, I want the OG.

It's a bit of a comfort food to me. When I first spent an extended time in Hong Kong, it's the only food that felt familiar to my ten year old mind.

When I do make them, I boil water and toss in the brick. I constantly try to loosen the noodles, and once they start to loosen, I take them off the stove. The noodles are then rinsed until the water runs clear and then are put in a bowl.

Water is added back to the pot. Then the seasoning, then the sesame oil. I cut some fresh chives up. If I have leftover meat from somewhere, it goes in the pot. Depending on what vegetables I have, I may toss in a leafy green, or perhaps corn, or mushrooms, or a combination. I may drop an egg in there. Then the noodles go back in and the little bits that broke off the brick get dumped in as well.

It's probably one of my favorite ways of consuming a pork or beef roast. Especially the later; I cook my beef roasts to rare and reheating them makes it... not so good. Sliced paper thin, the cuts of beef roast get placed on top of the noodles right before serving.

So many good ideas for my future noodling.

#36 Posted by medacris (611 posts) -

For someone with relatively little cooking experience and an inability to eat spicy stuff, what's a good way to start doctoring my pre-packaged ramen?

I usually eat the Maruchan stuff, either Oriental, Beef, or Chicken, if it helps.

#37 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

@medacris said:

For someone with relatively little cooking experience and an inability to eat spicy stuff, what's a good way to start doctoring my pre-packaged ramen?

I usually eat the Maruchan stuff, either Oriental, Beef, or Chicken, if it helps.

A really easy way, to me, is to use powder right in the boiling water from the start. Try that and let it overcook and then drain it. I vastly prefer it that way.

The noodles will have more flavor and are kinda gooey.

And I suggest using a little less than the full packet because that's a whole lot of salt.

And then go from there. Just adding some veggies and chicken in is also good. I posted my own recipe of sorts further up.

#38 Posted by OldGuy (1431 posts) -

Ren's Ramen in Wheaton, MD. Bakudan (spicy) ramen, miso flavor with stewed fatty pork and wakame. Green tea.

Damn. Now I'm hungry.

#39 Posted by NegativeCero (2927 posts) -

I haven't eaten anything besides the cups they sell at the supermarket. They're alright, but I know that I'm probably missing out.

#40 Posted by sarahsdad (1037 posts) -

Over the last 20 years or so, I've really come to prefer mine in colorful packaging on a store shelf.

#41 Posted by wewantsthering (1459 posts) -
#42 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2238 posts) -

Tonkotsu, son. Rich and creamy.

You can have the egg and nori, though.

#43 Posted by Sinusoidal (1155 posts) -

Man, those of you posting Korean "ramyeon" better not call it "ramen" in front of a Korean...

I like my ramen spicy-as-fuck! My ramyeon too.

#44 Posted by crusader8463 (14318 posts) -

The same way I like my ladies. Japanese!

I have sadly never had proper raman. It's always just been bags of Mr.Noodle. Only flavour I liked was chicken.

#45 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2148 posts) -

Chicken flavored yo.

Also I remember back in Middle School kids would bring packs of Ramen noodles and eat the crusty noodles raw. Those fucking monsters.

#46 Posted by HerbieBug (3844 posts) -

Made fresh and with lots of spice. I don't care for the dried stuff.

#47 Edited by supamon (1327 posts) -

This girl from the Philippines introduced me to these and god damn, they're just about the best thing I've ever eaten.

Yesssssss!! This is the most unhealthy yet so damn satisfying noodles I've eaten. They from Indonesia and they have a local version of it in my country but it's a healthier(watered down) version of the original. :(

And they're not ramen either so this and the other Korean noodles being posted are totally invalid to the thread.

#48 Posted by MB (11302 posts) -

Shin Ramyun Black with an egg dropped in and scrambled during cooking. So bad for you but so satisfying.

Moderator
#49 Posted by Brackynews (3966 posts) -

God damn I wish we had real (racing roots) ramen in my city. As it is we never have more than two restaurants with actual Japanese chefs.

But I've eaten it in Tokyo and Waikiki. Can't imagine ever calling anything in a noodle cup, ramen.

#50 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

Friggin' savages with your instant ramen.

It's beautiful!