• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Nithuun (1 posts) -

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/4chans-thoughts-on-giantbomb/568908/?

That right there is why 4chan's big and GB is obscure even within gaming. Support freedom. Not Fascism.

Think about SWTOR. Think about ME3. Think about Spore. What do these blunders all have in common? Their development and production took place in a fascist bubble of delusion. They actively squashed any and all fan criticism. Even the helpful advice like, "this system looks terrible" or "that's not good gameplay." (ding dong bannu, etc)

Locking or deleting criticism is the same sin. Crowdsource yourselves. Let consensus supported by free speech guide you. Get into 2012 already.

inb4 the lock and copypasted message

#2 Posted by Sinusoidal (1424 posts) -

Because 4chan threads are not so much constructive criticism as hateful shit?

#3 Posted by SockItToThem (3 posts) -

All forms of criticism aren't allowed, check your privilege Nithuun-san.

#4 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

GB's obscure within gaming? Is that why their review scores are quoted on game ads?

But seriously, who gives a fuck? It's a thread where some dickwad posted a link to a 4chan thread bashing Patrick. Not much to see there.

#5 Posted by smokyexe (255 posts) -

@Sinusoidal: It's easy to generalize, isn't it?

#6 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

I've never had a problem with it.

#7 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

Harsh? Seriously?

#8 Posted by Waway (3 posts) -

Wow, I never thought some people would start to think of 4chan as "The last bastion against fascism". I guess /soc/ really changed that site.

#9 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@Trainer_Red said:

Harsh? Seriously?

Exactly. I don't see how it's harsh when I can say 'fucking cunt banging dickwhacking bitch-hoes', and incur no punishment at all.

#10 Posted by ThunderSlash (1691 posts) -
High quality animated GIF
#11 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1997 posts) -

Non-constructive criticism (destructive criticism?) is not useful. It's just blatant earfucking or, in this case, eyefucking.

#12 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

@_Zombie_ said:

@Trainer_Red said:

Harsh? Seriously?

Exactly. I don't see how it's harsh when I can say 'fucking cunt banging dickwhacking bitch-hoes', and incur no punishment at all.

We can also say... boobies. hehehe

#13 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@Trainer_Red: And penis.

Teehee.

#14 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4723 posts) -

@ThunderSlash said:

High quality animated GIF

Thank you for posting this. Saved.

#15 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

@_Zombie_ said:

Teehee.

*gasp*

#16 Posted by Nightriff (5024 posts) -

It's the fact that it is never a well constructed argument between parties but yelling at each other I.E. the internet. We aren't giving up rights by any means they are just trying to keep it civil as possible. I understand that. The Patrick threads do have value points on both negative and positive sides but it solves nothing sadly. Not like Patrick reads this shit either

#17 Posted by smokyexe (255 posts) -

@Trainer_Red said:

@_Zombie_ said:

Teehee.

*gasp*

Just don't say a bad word against Patrick.

#18 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

@smokyexe said:

@Trainer_Red said:

@_Zombie_ said:

Teehee.

*gasp*

Just don't say a bad word against Patrick.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd you ruined it.

#19 Posted by SockItToThem (3 posts) -

@SirOptimusPrime said:

Non-constructive criticism (destructive criticism?) is not useful. It's just blatant earfucking or, in this case, eyefucking.

Get Patrick's dick out of your mouth, faggot. It's obvious that he's woeful at his job, but if anyone calls him out on it "FUCK YOU PATRICK IS GODS GIFT TO MAN YOU SHOULD SUCK HIS COCK TOO" - get a reality check already m8.

#20 Posted by smokyexe (255 posts) -

@Trainer_Red: Vagina, nipples..

#21 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1997 posts) -

@SockItToThem: Hey, hi.

We shouldn't be friends. I can tell there will be some friction.

#22 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

@smokyexe said:

@Trainer_Red: Vagina, nipples..

#23 Posted by Dethfish (3646 posts) -

If GB sucks so much why even come here?

Is this basically the internet equivalent of Jehovah Witnesses coming to my door and telling me there's a better way to live my life?

#24 Posted by IBurningStar (2165 posts) -

4chan is here? Great! This could be hilarious.

#25 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4723 posts) -

felt appropriate.

#26 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

@SockItToThem said:

@SirOptimusPrime said:

Get Patrick's dick out of your mouth, faggot. It's obvious that he's woeful at his job, but if anyone calls him out on it "FUCK YOU PATRICK IS GODS GIFT TO MAN YOU SHOULD SUCK HIS COCK TOO" - get a reality check already m8.

And here ladies and gentlemen is a prime example as to why we should not adopt the ways of 4Chan.

#27 Posted by ShaggE (6426 posts) -

Well. This thread is a mess.

#28 Posted by Patricks_Dad (1 posts) -

Everyone... please stop insulting my poor son..

Please tell him to get a hair cut...

OOooooOOohhh

And wear shirts that aren't red.

#29 Edited by Shrimpy (96 posts) -

I think it's fair for us to be allowed to talk negatively about the staff. It's an unfair rule, especially for a site so centred on the personality of its staff.

EDIT: 4chan, your not doing a good job convincing anyone using shit like "Patrick's Dad" or calling people faggots.

#30 Posted by SockItToThem (3 posts) -

@Trainer_Red said:

@SockItToThem said:

@SirOptimusPrime said:

And here ladies and gentlemen is a prime example as to why we should not adopt the ways of 4Chan.

Then continue being brain dead and enjoying all this shit that's getting fed to you on a cum-filled spoon from Patrick - 4chan might be harsh but it's not wrong.

#31 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1997 posts) -

@Shrimpy: There's a difference between "I think Patrick..." and invective based around sexual preference.

For the most part, I've only ever seen mods close those threads when it leans towards the latter. The former usually gets to stew longer since some actual discussion can go on. As someone whose only qualms with Patrick are primarily his choice in games and some of his overtalking, good discussion is warranted but not this 14-year old angst bullshit.

#32 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@SockItToThem said:

@SirOptimusPrime said:

its mate not m8

#33 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

Massive irony if this thread gets locked

#34 Posted by Shrimpy (96 posts) -

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@Shrimpy: There's a difference between "I think Patrick..." and invective based around sexual preference.

For the most part, I've only ever seen mods close those threads when it leans towards the latter. The former usually gets to stew longer since some actual discussion can go on. As someone whose only qualms with Patrick are primarily his choice in games and some of his overtalking, good discussion is warranted but not this 14-year old angst bullshit.

Have you seen the original thread that was blocked? There was nothing out of line. However, these guys have clearly taken this too far, which is disappointing because it's going to destroy anything legitimate that was being said.

#35 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5230 posts) -

@Shrimpy said:

@SirOptimusPrime said:

Have you seen the original thread that was blocked? There was nothing out of line. However, these guys have clearly taken this too far, which is disappointing because it's going to destroy anything legitimate that was being said.

The reason the original thread was locked was because it amounted to nothing more than spam. The OP was a link to another thread dedicated to hating Patrick. There was a good reason that thread was locked.

#36 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4723 posts) -

@Shrimpy said:

@SirOptimusPrime said:

Threads criticizing Patrick have existed since his first week on Giant Bomb. They've been hateful, insightful, critical, rude, polite, and everything in between. At this point I don't think it's about shutting down dissenting opinions as much as it's "Jesus Christ can we get the fuck over this already?"

#37 Posted by Freshbandito (682 posts) -

and people from 4chan ride in to show us all why we hate 4chan.

lest we forget.

#38 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (1997 posts) -

@Shrimpy: This thread is technically still going and has numerous posts claiming Patrick to be part of "the problem." It also criticizes about every aspect of the site, but with healthy discussion for the most part. Hence, the reason it is still open.

That thread was closed because, I think, it was coming from an "outside source" and didn't provide for any unique or useful discussion here. I dunno though, PM ZombiePie.

Also, these:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Shrimpy said:

Threads criticizing Patrick have existed since his first week on Giant Bomb. They've been hateful, insightful, critical, rude, polite, and everything in between. At this point I don't think it's about shutting down dissenting opinions as much as it's "Jesus Christ can we get the fuck over this already?"

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Shrimpy said:

The reason the original thread was locked was because it amounted to nothing more than spam. The OP was a link to another thread dedicated to hating Patrick. There was a good reason that thread was locked.

#39 Edited by leinad44 (506 posts) -

@SockItToThem said:

@Trainer_Red said:

@SockItToThem said:

@SirOptimusPrime said:

Then continue being brain dead and enjoying all this shit that's getting fed to you on a cum-filled spoon from Patrick - 4chan might be harsh but it's not wrong.

I have yet to see 4chan ever be right or spot-on. Its always vile knee-jerk reactions to most insignificant things. From where I'm standing if you are creating GB profiles just to bash on Patrick (No constructive criticism, just being a general prick) you really need to re-evaluate how you are spending your life. Patrick has been here for over a year and I think that he's a good addition, his articles are good, he shows interest in games the others would pass on and he obviously knows his shit about the industry. Those are my reasons for being pro-patrick, I seriously think your reasons for hating him will be as well thought out.

#40 Posted by smokyexe (255 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

"Jesus Christ can we get the fuck over this already?"

No we can't because there are people that feel that Patrick is running their favorite site. Why would they let that go?

#41 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4723 posts) -

@smokyexe said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

No we can't because there are people that feel that Patrick is running their favorite site. Why would they let that go?

I understand the dislike for the guy. I'm not much of a fan myself. At this point the Patrick hate threads are pretty redundant though.

#42 Posted by Shrimpy (96 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Shrimpy said:

@SirOptimusPrime said:

I agree that they are pointless for the most part, I just think we should be able to talk about it if we want.@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Shrimpy said:

@SirOptimusPrime said:

You're right but the reason that was given was we aren't allowed to talk about the staff negatively, which I think is stupid.

It's just unfortunate that we can't talk about our problems with the staff without the two extremes of people standing up for them and listening to no criticism and people who just rant.

#43 Posted by Sinusoidal (1424 posts) -

@smokyexe: If the shoe fits...

#44 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4723 posts) -

@Shrimpy: You're right, we should. A lot of the time we can. I don't see Zombie Pie or the other mods locking down the threads with genuine discussion, although I get the impression sometimes they'd really like to.

#45 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1997 posts) -

@Shrimpy: Read the rules.

Things That We Frown Upon
2. Creating negative threads about moderators or staff members: If you have a problem with a mod decision, send the mods a PM asking for more information. If you create a thread encouraging people to complain about mods or members of staff, it will be removed and your account may be subject to moderation.

They discourage threads based around encouraging complaints. The verbiage is there, but it also reads as: we are okay with discussion, not spam. A thread that does nothing but talk about how "Patrick sucks" isn't discussion - it's spam.

At least, that's me reading it very liberally. The mods might not be as revisionist. Again, I present this thread. No way after 400+ posts that the mods didn't notice it.

#46 Posted by Christoffer (1799 posts) -

tss, kids and their frivolous use of the words "fascism" and "free speech".

#47 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5230 posts) -

@Shrimpy

Most threads that I've seen are not only negative but say some pretty harsh shit to the staff that really does nothing to help them get better. And like siroptimusprime said there have been threads that offered constructive criticism that highlighted the negative traits of the website and it's staff that haven't been locked and had a massive amount of posts. But if people are just gonna bitch and whine then they should be ignored because why should people have to listen to that?

#48 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@smokyexe said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

so you think they should sack him then. because you and a few other think he's is ruining the site he should be sacked and made unemployed.

i think you should get over yourself

#49 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

What I'm mostly getting out of this thread is that is that Klepek is basically fascist dictator and the good citizenry of GB need to overthrow him in a violent coup.

Also, homophobia?

Ugh, this is all incredibly silly.

#50 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4723 posts) -

@Bell_End said:

@smokyexe said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

so you think they should sack him then. because you and a few other think he's is ruining the site he should be sacked and made unemployed.

i think you should get over yourself

Playing Devil's Advocate here, so bear with me.

But why should any user care if Patrick or anybody loses a job for being bad at their job? It's not the same thing when a well-respected studio gets shut down because their big gamble AAA game failed to succeed. That's a genuine shame, but one guy who isn't that good at his job losing it and finding somewhere else to work? I'm really not seeing why it's the prerogative of or you to worry about the guy's well being.

Again, I'm not saying he should get fired or anything, but this line of reasoning is one I just don't understand.