Posted by BlaineBlaine (452 posts) 5 months, 7 days ago

Poll: How Do You LIke Your City Chicken? (24 votes)

Pork Only 63%
Pork and Veal 38%

I'm making dinner. How do you do City Chicken?

I'm all pork man, myself. Image related. It's all pork.

#1 Posted by HatKing (6104 posts) -

Take me down to Pork City.

#2 Edited by TruthTellah (9468 posts) -

Am I a monster?

Of course no Veal.

#3 Posted by Skytylz (4039 posts) -

What's a City Chicken?

#4 Edited by Turambar (6888 posts) -

@skytylz said:

What's a City Chicken?

It's a Depression era lower class food item. Cooks used pork, which was cheaper at the time, to fashion imitation chicken drumsticks. This was particularly common in cities far away from poultry farms, hence why City Chicken never has actual chicken in it.

#5 Edited by BlaineBlaine (452 posts) -

@skytylz said:

What's a City Chicken?

You've never had City Chicken? Oh man, you're missing out. You take pork (or pork and veal), skewer it, bread it and fry it. So it's like a chicken drumstick only totally not.

Here's my plate. Already in progress:

There's people who then finish it by cooking it in chicken broth or soup. These people are animals and may safely be ignored.

#7 Edited by BlaineBlaine (452 posts) -

@skytylz said:

What's a City Chicken?

You've never had City Chicken? Oh man, you're missing out. You take pieces of pork (or pork and veal) skewer it on sticks, bread it, fry it so it's like a chicken drumstick... only not.

Here's my plate, already in progress:

There are those who will then finish it by cooking it in chicken broth or soup. These people are animals and may safely be ignored.

#8 Edited by 49th (2840 posts) -

I don't understand this at all. Why does the packaging say city chicken when it isn't even breaded yet? Surely that is just regular pork? Very strange.

#10 Posted by Hamst3r (4562 posts) -

As a west coast native, this thread is the first time I've ever heard of "city chicken". City chicken is a northern east coast thing, according to wikipedia.

#11 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1926 posts) -

@hamst3r said:

As a west coast native, this thread is the first time I've ever heard of "city chicken". City chicken is a northern east coast thing, according to wikipedia.

Well, I'm from MA and I've never heard of it either.

#12 Edited by BlaineBlaine (452 posts) -

@49th said:

I don't understand this at all. Why does the packaging say city chicken when it isn't even breaded yet? Surely that is just regular pork? Very strange.

Well you gotta bread it yourself. Comes with the wooden skewers though, and for the most part they're uniform in shape so they'll cook at the same time. I suppose that's what specifically makes it City Chicken. Wooden skewers and uniform pieces.

#13 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4797 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll said:

@hamst3r said:

Also from the northeast and I ain't ever heard of this shit either. Where I come from, chicken is goddamn chicken.

#14 Posted by Franstone (1154 posts) -

@hamst3r said:

I'm from MA too and have not heard of it until now as well.
Also never seen a pig in the city.

#15 Edited by BisonHero (7023 posts) -

City Chicken? You come eat at City Wok instead!

#16 Edited by 71Ranchero (2827 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll said:

@hamst3r said:

Another New Englander here, never heard of "city chicken". I have seen pigs in the city however, you are guaranteed to find at least one in every hot topic.

#17 Posted by Dalai (7069 posts) -

@franstone said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@hamst3r said:

Another New Englander here, never heard of "city chicken". I have seen pigs in the city however, you are guaranteed to find at least one in every hot topic.

The Wikipedia article for city chicken references a city I live in and I've never heard of city chicken.

I voted pork only anyway because veal is shit.

#18 Posted by Skytylz (4039 posts) -

@turambar: Oh I see. Sounds alright. Anything fried is good.

#19 Posted by Sinusoidal (1791 posts) -

Isn't a "city chicken" a pigeon?

#20 Posted by CornBREDX (5965 posts) -

I've never heard of that before, but it certainly looks good. I gotta look into making that sometime.

#21 Posted by TheBluthCompany (422 posts) -

So... It's basically Pork Tenderloin? As a Hoosier, I've had some Pork Tenderloin.