• 68 results
Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Jrinswand

I don't see why people think using "LGBT," "LGBTQ," or other variations thereof is a negative thing. It allows you to talk about a range of issues relating to a particular group/groups of people. The "I like to call them by their names because they are people" logic is ridiculous. You don't talk about a person or a group of people from a country situated within the European Union by his/her/their name. You call them "Europeans." The same logic applies with "LGBTQ," particularly since most people who belong to LGBTQ communities don't have a problem with it themselves.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By penguindust

I was listening to one of my favorite video game podcasts earlier this week, Orange Lounge Radio, where one of the hosts is gay and he used the term LGBT while discussing some news story about same-sex marriage.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#53  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Hizang said:

I agree with the guy with the balls for a mouth

You would!

I don't know what I mean by that. I don't even think I mean anything, really. Sorry. Carry on.

But I've only ever heard the first one. Although the dude who came up with Good Luck Take Batman could sway me to go with that.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Toxin066

As long as they insist on singling themselves out with parades, I'll classify those folks as Good Luck Bave Tatman.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@Jrinswand said:

I don't see why people think using "LGBT," "LGBTQ," or other variations thereof is a negative thing. It allows you to talk about a range of issues relating to a particular group/groups of people. The "I like to call them by their names because they are people" logic is ridiculous. You don't talk about a person or a group of people from a country situated within the European Union by his/her/their name. You call them "Europeans." The same logic applies with "LGBTQ," particularly since most people who belong to LGBTQ communities don't have a problem with it themselves.

Yeaaaah, same. I've never actually heard LGBT used negatively. It's often used as its members for organizing and/or recognition. A clinic we've been doing work on has a big banner inside it that says "New York's First Medical Center for LGBT" and in college there were lots of posters up all the time for the LGBT group meetings and stuff. It's not discriminatory; it's descriptive. If it's being used negatively, then by all means lets drop it, but I don't think that's the case with this one.

The ones people use negatively are usually much dumber.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I just figured this out just now.  Goddamn, it took me like a whole day to realize what this was about

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By Hunter5024

@jtman54179 said:

@Hunter5024 said:

I never understood why T was part of that. It's a pretty different thing. I mean sure if you're a T then you're almost certainly considered an L a G or a B, but I actually know an L and a G who don't approve of people being T. These alphabetic matters are perhaps better left to wiser P's then I.

The T in LGBT stands for "Transgender" which is much different from Transexual ( The "T" I think the public believes to be less accepted)

I didn't know there was a difference. And I still don't understand the difference after I've spent the past few minutes researching it. Could you elaborate for me?

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#58  Edited By NMC2008

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

Let's Go Batman To Quesadillas!!!

Yes. Yes. /Stan Smith

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By LikeaSsur

I don't get why there's an L in there. Women can't be gay? How come they get a special name, but gay guys don't? Sexism, I'm telling ya.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Hunter5024

@LikeaSsur said:

I don't get why there's an L in there. Women can't be gay? How come they get a special name, but gay guys don't? Sexism, I'm telling ya.

Why can't people every come up with politically correct terms that aren't like 4 syllables? Maybe they'd catch on better. From now on I'm just calling them G's.

puddlesworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By puddlesworth

For some reason LGBT flows better in my head, but honestly I've never been in a situation where I've said any of the options. I probably just say gay people as a lazy catch-all.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By LikeaSsur

@Hunter5024:Do you understand the sheer confusion that would cause to the phrase "Straight up G?"

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63  Edited By nintendoeats

I call it not giving a shit what other people do in their private lives.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By LiquidSwords

"Those People"

jtman54179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By jtman54179

@Hunter5024 said:

@jtman54179 said:

@Hunter5024 said:

I never understood why T was part of that. It's a pretty different thing. I mean sure if you're a T then you're almost certainly considered an L a G or a B, but I actually know an L and a G who don't approve of people being T. These alphabetic matters are perhaps better left to wiser P's then I.

The T in LGBT stands for "Transgender" which is much different from Transexual ( The "T" I think the public believes to be less accepted)

I didn't know there was a difference. And I still don't understand the difference after I've spent the past few minutes researching it. Could you elaborate for me?

I'm haunted by how wrong I was....Google is your friend

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Hunter5024

@jtman54179 said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@jtman54179 said:

@Hunter5024 said:

I am not going to claim any expertise (and even experts debate the definitions) on the topic but from what I have been told in the past (and wikipedia), transgender is when someone rejects the standards society places on a person based on their sex. They can be heterosexual or LGB. This includes but isn't limited to transexuals, who feel that they are trapped in a body of the opposite sex. Some say the transexual definition also requires a desire to undergo physical change through surgery.

For an examples of transgendered individuals look up Joan of Arc, Mulan, and Rosie the Riveter. Poeple who rejected the standard that women were fragile and belonged in a home doing domestic work.

For transexual individuals, look up Chaz Bono and Alicia Liu. People who rejected their gender roles and underwent physical surgery as well.

I see. Thank you. But now it really seems out of place in the acronym.

LD50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By LD50

@Hunter5024 said:

@LikeaSsur said:

Why can't people every come up with politically correct terms that aren't like 4 syllables? Maybe they'd catch on better. From now on I'm just calling them G's.

If G's were G's:

Lowriders would look different

The streets would be safer

The inner-city would smell fabulous

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By jewunit

The groups I have seen are generally called LGBTA or LGBTQ. The 'A' stands for allies and I like the idea of these groups acknowledging supporters, but I understand why people would want to exclude it as well.