• 70 results
Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

Yesterday I was at the record store and I simply could not make up my mind on what to buy. There were three CD's I had in mind, all of which were fantastic albums that I really should already have had in my possession. Namely, they were The VU & Nico, Animals, and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band. I asked the clerk what he thought I should drop my money on, and much to my surprise, upon seeing the Sgt. Pepper CD, he spat a "The Beatles are overrated" with loathing, foaming repugnance so thick I could see the viscous green bile building up behind his teeth. He dished out his comment as if to say that being "overrated" was such a great cardinal sin, an irrevocable damnation that would curse the Beatles for all eternity, but I'm not sure I understand. Maybe my definition of "overrated" is different from most people's, but I think of "overrated" as a term to describe something that earns praise beyond that which it deserves. While that is fine, I don't see how that discredit's a work; there will always be people that take it too far.

What do you think? Is my definition wrong?

#1 Edited by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

Yesterday I was at the record store and I simply could not make up my mind on what to buy. There were three CD's I had in mind, all of which were fantastic albums that I really should already have had in my possession. Namely, they were The VU & Nico, Animals, and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band. I asked the clerk what he thought I should drop my money on, and much to my surprise, upon seeing the Sgt. Pepper CD, he spat a "The Beatles are overrated" with loathing, foaming repugnance so thick I could see the viscous green bile building up behind his teeth. He dished out his comment as if to say that being "overrated" was such a great cardinal sin, an irrevocable damnation that would curse the Beatles for all eternity, but I'm not sure I understand. Maybe my definition of "overrated" is different from most people's, but I think of "overrated" as a term to describe something that earns praise beyond that which it deserves. While that is fine, I don't see how that discredit's a work; there will always be people that take it too far.

What do you think? Is my definition wrong?

#2 Posted by Spoonman671 (4554 posts) -

There's a record store?

#3 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

Golly, I need to proofread next time.

#4 Edited by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

Nope, you're pretty much right about that.

#5 Edited by EuanDewar (4748 posts) -

If you asked me which out of a selection of a Beatles, a Pink Floyd and a Velvet Underground album you should buy I would be preeetty fucking angry too.

I hope you bought The Velvet Underground and Nico. It's by far the best out of the lot. I mean, Eugh, I already don't like Pink Floyd and each to his own and all that but Animals? Naw son.

#6 Edited by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

@EuanDewar: You'll be happy to know that I did get the Velvet Underground record. However, what's your beef with Animals? It's one of their best albums.

#7 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Well it bothers people when something gets more praise than it should. Hipsters? I also dont like the Beetles

#8 Posted by Rudyftw (554 posts) -

I don't think The Beatles are overrated and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club is my favorite Beatles album.

Also, where is this record store? I haven't burnt shit down to the ground in a while.

#9 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

The key point is The Beatles are overrated in his opinion. Personally I think records are overrated.

#10 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1734 posts) -

No, you're right. "Over-rated" just means "receives praise beyond it's merits," not bad. Punch anyone who uses it as a synonym for "bad."

#11 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

The guy works at a record store, he is going to automatically hate anything that has sold more than five copies.

#12 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@SoldierG654342 said:

No, you're right. "Over-rated" just means "receives praise beyond it's merits," not bad. Punch anyone who uses it as a synonym for "bad."

But saying something is overrated implies that you think it's bad and everybody who disagrees with you is wrong.

#13 Posted by BisonHero (6153 posts) -

I think the only thing that's vastly overrated about Sgt. Pepper's is that people make a big deal out of it being the first concept album, except The Beatles completely lost interest in following through on that idea after the second track, and none of the subsequent tracks have anything to do with the "concept", or even the overall tone of the first two tracks. All that being said, it's a pretty good album. I think a lot of people call something "overrated" when really they're just kinda pissed off that other albums are vastly under appreciated and deserve just as much praise.

Sgt. Peppers deserves the praise it gets, so I really wouldn't agree with that clerk. But then again, I have a hard time following music critics because of all the forms of criticism I've seen, they seem the most likely to write a review that seems to have little correlation with the actual work and just consists of the critic trying to come up with the most creative interpretation possible of the work. And the fact that tons of super influential, original albums were panned at the time of their release, and then a decade later everybody backpedals and declares that album in the top 10 of the decade.

#14 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1734 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

But saying something is overrated implies that you think it's bad and everybody who disagrees with you is wrong.

No it doesn't, or at least it shouldn't. I feel that some of my favorite albums are over-rated, but obviously I don't think that are bad.

#15 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

@BisonHero: I never really bought into the whole concept album thing, Freak Out! was first anyways; I just think it's a fantastic album that's very much worth owning. There really isn't a song on there that isn't completely wonderful.

#16 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

I hate people who use the term to discredit anything they don't like, and you should too if you use it without the intent of discrediting something because those assholes ruined it for everyone.

#17 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

@EuanDewar: Why would that make you angry? As a clerk, isn't it your job to be helpful and not get uppity about people's tastes?

#18 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I think it would be pretty tough to argue that The Beatles don't deserve the praise they receive....I'm not the biggest Beatles fan but I can see why they are highly regarded as one of the greatest bands ever.

#19 Posted by Hailinel (23857 posts) -

Being Overrated: An otherwise harmless label that can be legitimized if argued properly, but has been twisted by hipsters into describing anything that is praised by the mainstream.

#20 Posted by EuanDewar (4748 posts) -
@chrismafuchris Yeah but I'm not a clerk.
#21 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I don't like something that's popular. It's overrated.

#22 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

I hate people who use the term to discredit anything they don't like, and you should too if you use it without the intent of discrediting something because those assholes ruined it for everyone.

so....by your logic, i should use the word "overrated" to discredit something i like...

wait what?

#23 Posted by Veektarius (4584 posts) -

Well first off, something can't be overrated if only some people are taking it too far. They overrate it, but if they are not the norm, it averages out and it is either correctly rated or underrated. Something has to be thought better of on average than it deserves to be overrated. For example, I would tell you "2001 is overrated" because 2001 is generally very well thought of.

Second, while it would be appropriate to say that something that you feel is only good as opposed to excellent is overrated, in general you wouldn't bother, because that's splitting hairs. You're really only likely to make a point of it if you feel the need to insult the product in question. So I could say "2001 has its head stuck so far up its own ass that other people mistakenly go along for the ride" or I could say "2001 is overrated" and maintain a bearing of refined understatement. At the same time, it allows me to hedge my bets, because if someone were to come at me with some very well-thought out points about why it is an excellent film (and chances are people who are way into something know more about it than those who are not into it at all, so this is a frequent occurrence), I can retreat into saying, "Yeah, that might be so, but I still think that saying it's the greatest film of all time is a bit much". And most people will accept that compromise, thus leading to an amiable end to the argument.

#24 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

Overrated- Anything that is given too much credit and hype.

it's from urban dictionary. something that i agree with. i don't think the beatles are overrated because it's old people's music lol.

#25 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5094 posts) -

I think people use overrated as "I don't like this as much as everyone else so everyone else is wrong and it is a piece of shit."

o·ver·rate

[oh-ver-reyt] Show IPA

verb (used with object), -rat·ed, -rat·ing.to rate or appraise too highly; overestimate: "I think you overrate their political influence."

#26 Posted by WonderboyCoz (153 posts) -

@iam3green: "i don't think the beatles are overrated because it's old people's music lol."

I hope that's a joke or your just an idiot... but seriously, anyone who thinks that The Beatles are overrated are wrong. The fact of the matter is that they are one of the most influential and important bands in history, not to mention the most successful. Sure, you don't have to enjoy the music, but a sane person would have to agree that they are appropriately rated.

Also, I concur with the burning of this record store.

#27 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

@Jethuty: You can use it however you want, I mean why would you care if I hated you anyway? this is the internet. You should totally stop paying so much attention to what others think brahda.

#28 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

You're right. 
I think some people use the term "overrated" like it was an offense because it may lead to mindless conversations. I mean, if you say you don't like the XBOX 360 in some websites, even if you give your own rational opinion, many people will say: "Y0, U'R3 RETARDEDZ G0 PLAY UR PLAYSTATIONSHIT", so, they may relate overrated objects with bad memories. 
Or maybe the people has such a desire for being different, that it ends up relating everything that is beloved by many to something that is bad for him. Also, some people may think: "I don't want to be like everyone. Being different is cool. Therefore everything that is common, or anything that many people like, is despicable to me. Because i'm different, and i'm cool." 

Fucking wow. I think i'm thinking too much about this. I will sleep now.

#29 Posted by Rudyftw (554 posts) -

Overrated means it's bad. It means they are OVERrated not justrightrated, or mediumrated BUT OVERRATED. Meaning more than their fair share of rated. Like if I have a big box of rated, and then I steal some more rated and my rated overflows and a bunch of rated starts falling out... yeah, best believe its overrated.

#30 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -
@WonderboyCoz said:

@iam3green: "i don't think the beatles are overrated because it's old people's music lol."

I hope that's a joke or your just an idiot... but seriously, anyone who thinks that The Beatles are overrated are wrong. The fact of the matter is that they are one of the most influential and important bands in history, not to mention the most successful. Sure, you don't have to enjoy the music, but a sane person would have to agree that they are appropriately rated.

Also, I concur with the burning of this record store.

i didn't mean they were overrated. i agreed with the definition that i wrote. it's older music.
#31 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1188 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

If you asked me which out of a selection of a Beatles, a Pink Floyd and a Velvet Underground album you should buy I would be preeetty fucking angry too.

I hope you bought The Velvet Underground and Nico. It's by far the best out of the lot. I mean, Eugh, I already don't like Pink Floyd and each to his own and all that but Animals? Naw son.

Oh man you're crazy! Animals aint terrible.

#32 Posted by joshth (500 posts) -

Likely the scenario here was just that the clerk DID think that the beatles where overated or praised too highly. So your problem here doesn't really seem to be with the word, so much as the clerks opinion...

#33 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

@Jethuty: You can use it however you want, I mean why would you care if I hated you anyway? this is the internet. You should totally stop paying so much attention to what others think brahda.

You assume an awful lot about what i care about.

#34 Posted by AlisterCat (5480 posts) -

I hate the word overrated more than pretty much anything else in regards to 'opinions'. Don't like something as much as other people did? That is totally fine. Great. Go for it, do something else/ Saying too many people like it or think too highly of it? Fuck you. That is when you start to get in to an area where you are practically telling people that their opinion is wrong. It says more about what you think of other peoples opinions of something than the thing you are talking about.

#35 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

Being overrated is overrated.

#36 Edited by ProfessorEss (7278 posts) -

Definition is one thing, usage is another. Overrated is almost always used when the user has no legitimate argument to make.  

For example, I think (with all due respect) that Pink Floyd is overrated. How do I qualify their "rating" being higher than they deserve?  I can't, so I don't, I just say "Pink Floyd's overrated" and stick my nose in the air.

#37 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

I think your definition is pretty spot on and the dictionary agrees.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/overrated

It would have been better if the clerk had merely stated "I do not like the Beatles" and offered up a suggestion.

I do not like any of the bands you mentioned so I have nothing to about your purchasing choices.

#38 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

@Jethuty: No I don't, but if you're gonna play dumb just to pick apart some grammatical inconsistency don't expect to be taken seriously. It's not like you didn't get what I was actually saying.

#39 Posted by LetsRockBaby (241 posts) -

OMG the Beatles are so overrated. Fuck them for being popular, ugh.

#40 Posted by YukoAsho (2001 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

Only if you have no grasp of the English language.

Overrated isn't bad at all. it could be something completely awesome, but people go nuts and are OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGPERFECTION when it's merely cool, or great, or awesome.

#41 Posted by YukoAsho (2001 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Being Overrated: An otherwise harmless label that can be legitimized if argued properly, but has been twisted by hipsters into describing anything that is praised by the mainstream.

hahaha, another fine definition

#42 Posted by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -

overrated is a troll's favorite word. it exists for no other reason but to belittle and annoy other people.

#43 Edited by BlinkyTM (1054 posts) -

Not a fan of the Beatles, never heard of those other bands.

I can't believe no one said your blog was overrated yet.

Well it is. How do you like them apples? :P

#44 Posted by YukoAsho (2001 posts) -

@chrissedoff said:

overrated is a troll's favorite word. it exists for no other reason but to belittle and annoy other people.

I don't know that I'd go so far. With time, one can look back and legitimately assess people's reaction to something relative to its lasting merit. You are right, however, that it has become a troll favorite, as it really can't be used in the context of recent things, like so many games that have it thrown at them.

#45 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@YukoAsho said:

@CL60 said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

Overrated isn't bad at all. it could be something completely awesome, but people go nuts and are OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGPERFECTION when it's merely cool, or great, or awesome.

That's exactly what I'm saying... >.> Who are you to say the other people are wrong and you're right? The word is just stupid to use.

#46 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

No, you'r right, the clerk was just saying it because he's tired of everyone coming into his store and only getting The Beatles and anything else that's popular. Personally, I love The Beatles and own every single song of theirs and their solo careers, so I'm biased, but I think they've earned the infamy.

I also agree that hipsters simply use it against anything that has become loved by the majority without any reason for disliking it other than its popularity.

#47 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

every time i think of record stores i think of Hi-Fidelity. and every time i think of high fidelity i think of this scene.

#48 Posted by YukoAsho (2001 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@YukoAsho said:

@CL60 said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

That's exactly what I'm saying... >.> Who are you to say the other people are wrong and you're right? The word is just stupid to use.

Not necessarily. Hindsight can tell us whether something was hyped up artificially or is legitimately deserving of critical acclaim. It's part of why it's important to view things in the context of their time, and ESPECIALLY important not to use that term for something that's just come out.

#49 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@EuanDewar said:

I mean, Eugh, I already don't like Pink Floyd and each to his own and all that but Animals? Naw son.

No words are necessary.
Edit: I couldn't resist, but on the other hand you have this...thing. 

#50 Edited by Rudyftw (554 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@EuanDewar said:

I mean, Eugh, I already don't like Pink Floyd and each to his own and all that but Animals? Naw son.

No words are necessary.
Edit: I couldn't resist, but on the other hand you have this...thing.

House of the rising is sun is probably the oldest American song. It's a classic. I know they are Brits, but that entire video is awesome. Also..