Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Rudyftw: Yeah i know, and i thought of posting that song, but House of the Rising Sun seemed more iconic somehow.
FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By FilipHolm

Why does the word "Overrated" even exist? It's all opinions, and it's utterly stupid to say somwthing like "The Bealtes are overrated" or "The Stones are better"...

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Rudyftw

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Rudyftw: Yeah i know, and i thought of posting that song, but House of the Rising Sun seemed more iconic somehow.

It is more iconic I just really like misunderstood tho. haha

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By HandsomeDead

Maybe he said something was overrated because that was his opinion, but because he didn't preface it with something like 'in my opinion', you sperged out and took it like it was fact.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#55  Edited By Vinny_Says

It's when you need a reason to justify not liking something that is extremely popular and considered good.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By CL60

@HandsomeDead said:

Maybe he said something was overrated because that was his opinion, but because he didn't preface it with something like 'in my opinion', you sperged out and took it like it was fact.

But saying something is overrated means that it doesn't deserve the praise it gets, which implies that the person thinks they're right and everybody else is wrong.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By HandsomeDead
@CL60

@HandsomeDead said:

But saying something is overrated means that it doesn't deserve the praise it gets, which implies that the person thinks they're right and everybody else is wrong.

I don't know what backwards world you live in where it's a bad thing to think you're right about something but it's unnerving to read. Having an opinion and sticking to it isn't a bad thing.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By CL60

@HandsomeDead said:

@CL60

@HandsomeDead said:

I don't know what backwards world you live in where it's a bad thing to think you're right about something but it's unnerving to read. Having an opinion and sticking to it isn't a bad thing.

When you try to claim that you're the only right one and everybody else is wrong, it's no longer your opinion, it's you being an elitist douche.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By HandsomeDead
@CL60

@HandsomeDead said:

@CL60

@HandsomeDead said:

When you try to claim that you're the only right one and everybody else is wrong, it's no longer your opinion, it's you being an elitist douche.

No, it's not. He's not saying everyone is wrong; he's not the only one who thinks The Beatles - or whoever the OP was about - overrated. It really seems like you don't understand the basics of having an opinion.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By CL60

@HandsomeDead said:

@CL60

@HandsomeDead said:

@CL60

@HandsomeDead said:

No, it's not. He's not saying everyone is wrong; he's not the only one who thinks The Beatles - or whoever the OP was about - overrated. It really seems like you don't understand the basics of having an opinion.

Overrated - Doesn't deserve the praise it gets.

How in the hell does that not imply that you think you're right and everybody else is wrong? Who are you to say that something doesn't deserve the praise it gets simply because you don't like it? Say you don't like it, simple. You can give reasons as to why you don't like it. You can't give reasons as to how something doesn't deserve to be liked by others. Just because you can't see why other people enjoy something doesn't make it overrated, and people use the word to try and pass their opinion off as fact.

But whatever, you don't agree, I don't care. I will continue to think that using the word overrated for everything that is popular makes you sound like a pretentious ass.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RockmanBionics said:

@Jethuty: No I don't, but if you're gonna play dumb just to pick apart some grammatical inconsistency don't expect to be taken seriously. It's not like you didn't get what I was actually saying.

"you should too if you use it without the intent of discrediting something because those assholes ruined it for everyone."

I dont think you get what you're saying yourself.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62  Edited By haggis

"Maybe my definition of "overrated" is different from most people's, but I think of "overrated" as a term to describe something that earns praise beyond that which it deserves. While that is fine, I don't see how that discredit's a work; there will always be people that take it too far."

You're definition is actually pretty good. All it means when someone says something is "overrated" is that they don't agree with the generally perceived value of something. So he doesn't like the Beatles as much as most people do, and thinks they don't deserve the praise they get. I tend to agree with him, concerning the Beatles. But that aside, it's nothing more than an expression of opinion. There's really no solid, shared, objective opinion about things such as music, art, and even video games. Like any opinion, you have to weigh it against your own and decide how much you want to let that person's opinion influence your own.

Most of the time, saying something is "overrated" is nothing more than a mask for sneering elitism. But it can be a useful way of expressing general dissent. I think Call of Duty is overrated, and Gears of War, and Halo. Take it too far, and you become a douchebag, but otherwise it tells you my general attitude toward games. So long as I don't start calling people "wrong" when they disagree with me. It's only a useful expression to a point, and one I think people should generally avoid.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By HandsomeDead

@CL60 said:

@HandsomeDead said:

@CL60

@HandsomeDead said:

@CL60

@HandsomeDead said:

Overrated - Doesn't deserve the praise it gets.

How in the hell does that not imply that you think you're right and everybody else is wrong? Who are you to say that something doesn't deserve the praise it gets simply because you don't like it? Say you don't like it, simple. You can give reasons as to why you don't like it. You can't give reasons as to how something doesn't deserve to be liked by others. Just because you can't see why other people enjoy something doesn't make it overrated, and people use the word to try and pass their opinion off as fact.

But whatever, you don't agree, I don't care. I will continue to think that using the word overrated for everything that is popular makes you sound like a pretentious ass.

You don't care but you post some kick off vitriol paragraph. Nice. We can't all be as much of a bleeding heart as you, and if we were, the world would be a super boring place.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#64  Edited By jacksukeru

@Jethuty said:

@RockmanBionics said:

@Jethuty: No I don't, but if you're gonna play dumb just to pick apart some grammatical inconsistency don't expect to be taken seriously. It's not like you didn't get what I was actually saying.

"you should too if you use it without the intent of discrediting something because those assholes ruined it for everyone."

What you have in bold just means "You should also hate the people who use the term incorrectly if you use the term without the intent to discredit something, because the people who use the term incorrectly are the reason why you are getting misinterpreted".

What I meant was the following: I hate it when people use the phrase "overrated" to discredit anything that they don't like, causing the term to be generally interpreted as meaning "bad". I also encourage people who use the phrase "overrated" for it's original intended purpose, which is just to point out that something gets more than its deserved amount of praise, to also hate these people, as they (the first group of people) have popularized this false meaning of the word, causing people who are using it correctly to be misinterpreted.

Is there something wrong here that I'm not seeing? It's possible I guess, and if that's the case I'd like you to explain it out to me and I'll admit fault. But if this whole thing is just you doing what I assumed you were, which was taking a cheap shot at how my original comment was worded and how it could be misinterpreted, assuming I told people to "use the word "overrated" to discredit something they like" (something that obviously doesn't make sense for a person to do) over assuming I made an honest grammatical mistake then I think that you're...a mean spirited person.

So which is is? Is there really something I have missed? Did you actually understand my intent yet decided to berate me for how my comment was worded. Or did you really misinterpret my intention based on how I worded my comment? (something I myself never considered before now.)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RockmanBionics said:

@Jethuty said:

@RockmanBionics said:

What you have in bold just means "You should also hate the people who use the term incorrectly if you use the term without the intent to discredit something, because the people who use the term incorrectly are the reason why you are getting misinterpreted".

What I meant was the following: I hate it when people use the phrase "overrated" to discredit anything that they don't like, causing the term to be generally interpreted as meaning "bad". I also encourage people who use the phrase "overrated" for it's original intended purpose, which is just to point out that something gets more than its deserved amount of praise, to also hate these people, as they (the first group of people) have popularized this false meaning of the word, causing people who are using it correctly to be misinterpreted.

Is there something wrong here that I'm not seeing? It's possible I guess, and if that's the case I'd like you to explain it out to me and I'll admit fault. But if this whole thing is just you doing what I assumed you were, which was taking a cheap shot at how my original comment was worded and how it could be misinterpreted, assuming I told people to "use the word "overrated" to discredit something they like" (something that obviously doesn't make sense for a person to do) over assuming I made an honest grammatical mistake then I think that you're...a mean spirited person.

So which is is? Is there really something I have missed? Did you actually understand my intent yet decided to berate me for how my comment was worded. Or did you really misinterpret my intention based on how I worded my comment? (something I myself never considered before now.)

No offense duder, but take your own advice and stop caring that much what people say on the internet.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#66  Edited By jacksukeru

@Jethuty: I'd be great if I could but I can't, I don't know how other people supposedly do it. Especially that "on the Internet" part, as if that excuses anything. I was only using it myself because I was mocking you, as is apparent I don't actually believe that.

I do hope that this little episode won't ruin our clearly blossoming friendship.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By soldierg654342

@CL60 said:

Say you don't like it, simple. You can give reasons as to why you don't like it. You can't give reasons as to how something doesn't deserve to be liked by others. Just because you can't see why other people enjoy something doesn't make it overrated, and people use the word to try and pass their opinion off as fact.

You can like something yourself and still think it's overrated.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68  Edited By Evilsbane

I like the Beatles because they made good music, I could care less about what the album was supposed to "represent" or any shit like that if the music is good then get over it, and that goes for any band popularity should never be a determining factor of your musical tastes.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SeriouslyNow

It takes a certain type of lowly retail clerk to properly overrate Sergeant Pepper's.  The job needs to be dead end and the seething jealousy needs to be incredibly high.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#70  Edited By DukesT3

Being Tony Romo or Mark Sanchez. sorry, sports rant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RockmanBionics said:

@Jethuty: I'd be great if I could but I can't, I don't know how other people supposedly do it. Especially that "on the Internet" part, as if that excuses anything. I was only using it myself because I was mocking you, as is apparent I don't actually believe that.

I do hope that this little episode won't ruin our clearly blossoming friendship.

Your avatar is megaman

You're alright in my book.