• 0 results
#1 Posted by Maxynator (159 posts) -

No commercials on the site, as far as I know. How do they do it?

#2 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

By ads. And they sell cool stuff like T-shirts.

#3 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

Well the new Kane and Lynch is coming out, and im betting Jeff Gerstmann wont make the same mistake twice hehe

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Maxynator said:
" No commercials on the site, as far as I know. How do they do it? "
Some advertising on this site once and a wile. And a wile ago someone donated a chunk of money to them 
#5 Posted by MattyFTM (14364 posts) -

Adverts. Although they rarely have adverts because building up a userbase is more important at this point in time.

#6 Posted by Lyniz (115 posts) -

Ads. just like everybody else.

#7 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

If i get a buck for each time this question was asked, i'd have... several bucks indeed.

#8 Posted by mosespippy (4101 posts) -

I've also wondered this. I'm pretty sure they don't sell their member lists. They could lisence their API, but they seem to do that for free. Clearly these guys know the secret to making money on the internet.

#9 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -

THIS IS QUITE POSSIBLY THE MOST ORIGINAL THREAD EVER CONCEIVED

#10 Posted by Lyniz (115 posts) -

they have ads all the time.   with short windows of nothing.  they only do huge games.

#11 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

They sell Brad's stuff.

#12 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Stop asking this stupid fucking question! Fucking fuck fuck fuck fuck.

#13 Posted by FreakAche (2951 posts) -

Sometimes, the wiki page on a specific game will have a heading called "luchadeals" which links to an online store that's selling said game for cheap. I assume that generates some revenue. It's a way for them to generate advertising dollars while creating something that is unintrusive and in some cases actually helpful to the user.

#14 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

How do Ads make money?

#15 Posted by White_Silhouette (471 posts) -

"services rendered" behind the scenes... nuff said.

#16 Posted by Scullinator (512 posts) -

every time someone says they like Deadly Premonition in the forums they get paid $1.

#17 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

They sell drugs on street corners.

#18 Posted by Phaseshift (222 posts) -

Isn't Whiskey media owned by some billionaire who sold geocities or sommin? even if im wrong im sure there is some very rich guy funding this stuff.

#19 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

this again? :(

#20 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" If i get a buck for each time this question was asked, i'd have... several bucks indeed. "
@nanikore said:
" THIS IS QUITE POSSIBLY THE MOST ORIGINAL THREAD EVER CONCEIVED "
@Vinchenzo said:
" Stop asking this stupid fucking question! Fucking fuck fuck fuck fuck. "
Yep.  He's a killer.  A true, dyed in the wool, killer. 

But the real way is this guy called Brad Shoemaker.  He runs a phone-sex line, and charges 4.95 USD a minute.  He gets 15 minute breaks every 4 hours, and works no less than 9 hours in a given day.  As a small, side enterprise, they make a tidy little profit reviewing Durgers sent in from Korea.
#21 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

They use ads and sell shirts.

#22 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -

Advertisements, but they are trying to build a user base currently, so there aren't many that you'll see around the site right now, if any. If you pay attention to the site, you'll see them once in a while, but for things related to gaming. It's not the crap they show on Gamespot or IGN, and it'll probably be way less frequent.

Gotcha. :P

#23 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Jeff Gerstmann is a top-charting musical artist and a real fly guy, yo. He gots da bills for ya.

#24 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

this site is still new. there aren't a lot of users here compared to other sites. sometimes there will be ads here.

#25 Posted by damswedon (3185 posts) -
@Phaseshift said:
" Isn't Whiskey media owned by some billionaire who sold geocities or sommin? even if im wrong im sure there is some very rich guy funding this stuff. "
it is partly owned by shelby bonnie, one of the original founders of Cnet.
#26 Posted by Bureksasutlijom (175 posts) -

I say it's government funding.

#27 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -

Also the iPhone app brings in some.

#28 Posted by Mikemcn (6968 posts) -

Taliban Opium Smugglers, and human trafficking in morocco.

Also, adverts.

#29 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" How do Ads make money? "
Because people pay other such people to advertise such a thing on such a site. 

GB should just shit face the site for like a week with ads to get heaps of moneys. But they just need to make a vid first, I know I'd understand and most of the other GB user.
#30 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -
@Maxynator said:
" No commercials on the site, as far as I know. How do they do it? "
Go back to gamespot you pig!
#31 Posted by Maxynator (159 posts) -
@MiamiRedHawks:  Trolling is a art
#32 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4599 posts) -
@Maxynator said:
" @MiamiRedHawks:  Trolling is a art "
That's AN art to you, sir. We speak things goodly round these parts.
#33 Posted by Evil_Alaska (293 posts) -

Vinny pimps Brad on various corners of the Bay Area.

#34 Posted by Jeust (10537 posts) -

Pimpim' 

#35 Posted by Fallen189 (4975 posts) -

He asked a question, and forum search is down.

Stop being a bunch of complete cunts to him, man alive.

#36 Posted by Maxynator (159 posts) -
@MarkWahlberg: Successful troll is successful thnx
#37 Posted by Ben99 (1135 posts) -

I've wondered about that too . Then again I see them going and know they really make good money

#38 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" How do Ads make money? "
Unless this was sarcasm... 

Internet Ads are usually pay-per-click. So say... Gamespot payed GB 50 cents for each click to their homepage.
#39 Posted by HODGEY3000 (344 posts) -

bribes and money hats
#40 Edited by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

How should I put this, on the weekend Jeff provides "favors" for certain types of "customers" in exchange for a small fee.

#41 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Remember when Obama first became president? Well the Giant Bomb crew was part of the jewel heist with Obama and McCain.

#42 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@Maxynator said:
" @MarkWahlberg: Successful troll is successful thnx "
successful troll is a giant douche. thnx
#43 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Wait... Giant Bomb has ads? 

#44 Posted by Legend (2658 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" He asked a question, and forum search is down.  Stop being a bunch of complete cunts to him, man alive. "
Agreed. Giant Bomb used to be so much better than this. The community was friendly and very helpful. We still have many great members here both old and new, but we also seem to have an increasing number of douchebags lately...
#45 Posted by Fbomb (1168 posts) -

The site embeds scripts that add users to a zombie network that does DDoS attacks for $$$. ill-gotten money. From SOLAR POWER!!

#46 Edited by TheDoorman (534 posts) -

Where have I read this topic before? 

It seems very familiar. 
 I just cant put my finger on it.

#47 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Have you ever seen the movie Heat?

#48 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4599 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" Remember when Obama first became president? Well the Giant Bomb crew was part of the jewel heist with Obama and McCain. "
As reported in the NYT.
#49 Posted by Miningguyx360 (325 posts) -

Deadly Premonition  Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition   Deadly Premonition\ 
can i collect my $60s now? 

#50 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
" They sell Brad's stuff. "
It's been proved.