How does this make you feel?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kalparun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kalparun
No Caption Provided

Many women face undeserved sexism, that's a given.

The point of creating this thread is not to doubt that in any way.

However, In our righteous effort to prevent this discrimination, it seems that there's a number of people who have different roles to play in this. I'll explain.

Among the users who truly believe in equality, there are some who, with a self proclaimed title (such as feminists etc) or not, forward various beliefs. To my surprise such beliefs sometimes go through without any resistance or reaction. Often, they even find ground of agreement.

I'm talking about comments such as "misandry doesn't exist" and "only men rape" or perhaps unfair generalisations such as "males are privileged" and many, many more.

Having said that, I'm afraid that the image above showcases one instance where to the eye of the general public AND/OR the judiciary system, a victim is judged differently according to their gender.

He got sent to jail, as you can read, without any proof whatsoever. (to this day, even if Brian got accepted back in his school and the project barely hit its target, the girl remains unpunished and has even KEPT THE 3 MILLION dollars given to her. On the other side, Anita still hasn't delivered with her promises, being many months late. Her project got 26 times the amount needed.)

I'm sure you know the story by know so I won't analyze it any further.

Let me ask you a question, however: Is this the kind of equality we want in our society?

Let me end my post by pointing out some seemingly "known" or "obvious" statements which on the other hand seem to need a refreshment, a reminiscence if you will:

-Sexism goes both ways.

-Human beings are ***holes and lie to protect their own selves or harm others and this goes to both males and females.

-Human beings are also supportive and choose to help each other in times of need. Gender doesn't limit this.

-Any kind of gender discrimination, should that be misandry or misogyny, is equally bad, hurts our society, is unwanted and we should demand it to be judged and punished. At the end of the day, an innocent human being finding redemption is what matters the most.

-We're equal, yes but we're not the same. Men and women ARE different and that's exactly what we like most about each other.

I only speak common sense.

Cheers.

[Mod edit: Beyond the inaccurate picture above to support a weak point, the language of the OP's posts reek of intentional trolling or otherwise attempting to rile the community up into petty squabbling. Given the number of times this has been flagged and thoroughly picked apart by the userbase, I see no reason for this topic to remain open. -PsEG]

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Jrinswand

My feels: This again?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Why the loaded language?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Brian Banks plays in the UFL now.

kalparun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kalparun

@PeasantAbuse said:

Brian Banks plays in the UFL now.

Not before he wasted 5 years of his life.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

It makes me want to stop visiting games websites until people shut up about dull gender issues.

Spuirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spuirrel

It makes me feel like calling you a damned fool.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Zekhariah

No context on what the projects are, so I'm not sure what the point of the posting is.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did she need 6000 dollars to make Youtube videos?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By laserbolts

I'm hoping this stuff dies off soon and people get back to talking about videogames until another thing gets brought up. Sick of people acting like they care about this stuff so they can feel better about themselves.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@TheVeteran13 said:

Why did she need 6000 dollars to make Youtube videos?

Well clearly even $150,000 isn't enough to make Youtube videos because they still don't exist.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By haffy

Hopefully it's just racism. I can't stand sexism.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

That's reality.All you can try to do is be better on a personal level.

kalparun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kalparun

@Zekhariah said:

No context on what the projects are, so I'm not sure what the point of the posting is.

Anita wanted to make a vlog about oversexualisation in video games.

Got 160k. Hasn't delivered yet.

Brian wanted to raise money to get his life back after wrongfully being accused of rape. He got 40k.

The girl who accused him remains unpunished and quite richer.

kalparun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kalparun

@Spuirrel said:

It makes me feel like calling you a damned fool.

Why is that?

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zekhariah

@kalparun: I would attribute some of the difference to there not being anything on offer from one of the kickstarters then.

Pure charity just doesn't get the same sort of play as someone offering a intangible and theoretical good in exchange for the money. There are a lot of people that would benefit, and probably in some sense deserve, financial assistance at this point in time (the sweet economy and all that). But poverty and misery are a thing that visible in every city, and at some point charitable giving becomes an entirely different practice than purchasing a film.

I'm not really sure that is appropriate for kickstarter either. In my local area there are organizations that help people recover and re-intergrate with society, which is probably a better way to broadly help out than just giving 40k to one guy (food programs, vocational training, shelter programs are more established methods that can have a larger impact).

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JasonR86

I can't flag this shit. Someone flag it before we have a clusterfuck.

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Blastroid

Crap her project funding has ended? How do I send her money?

kalparun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kalparun

@JasonR86 said:

A call for equality apparently IS something that causes clusterfucks, I guess.

Pretending is easier.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JasonR86

@kalparun said:

@JasonR86 said:

Pretending is easier.

Go away.

kalparun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kalparun

@JasonR86 said:

@kalparun said:

@JasonR86 said:

Pretending is easier.

Go away.

No.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By crusader8463

Words can not properly express how annoyed I get when I see people championing gender equality when all they really mean is trying to give more rights to women and they ignore the shit men have to go through and get ignored because they are supposed to be big strong men and take it, but I'm also sick and tired of this discussion. Nothing anyone says on here will change anything and until we as a people and as a society stop being stupid and enough good people raise kids to teach them how to treat people correctly, nothing will change.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Animasta

you forgot to add the part where 4chan/reddit viciously attacked her character which raised awareness way more than she would've done on her own.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By hawkinson76

Straw man argument, and silly.

On the whole there is no justification for bitching based on systemic bias against men, all other things being equal a man has a better chance in almost every circumstance, systemic bias is almost always in our favor.

Also, please don't post this on a video game website. Or any other site, because it is dumb.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rattle618

Why would people give money to that ugly-ass woman? She should be hot if she wants money for nothing, that is the way it works for women.

Seriously though, I think what is going on here is the following: Kickstarter is for internet nerds, the woman has an internet nerd audience, ergo her kickstarter is much more likely to get enough attention and make some money for her.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Animasta

what exactly was the guy's kickstarter FOR? just to give him money? you were not very clear about it

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JasonR86

@Animasta said:

what exactly was the guy's kickstarter FOR? just to give him money? you were not very clear about it

I know a little about this dude because he tried out for my Seattle Seahawks. If I'm to assume the money was to help him get back on his feet because when he got out of prison he had nothing. Like a lot of people who get out of prison. But I feel more sorry for this dude because he was an innocent man. But I don't know for sure.

That said, the OP is an idiot for even doing this considering the nonsense that came out of Patrick's two articles. Trolls gonna troll.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Animasta

@JasonR86: honestly that sounds dumb I always thought kickstarter was for a specific project not just "I need some money, help".

kalparun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kalparun

@Animasta said:

He wants to make an autobiographical account (ie film, documentary) to raise awareness and I guess, clear out his name.

"I hope my story can serve as a catalyst for change." as he says.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Animasta

@kalparun said:

@Animasta said:

He wants to make an autobiographical account to raise awareness and I guess, clear out his name.

what does that have to do with anita at all then? why did you bring that up? What was the point of comparing the two? their circumstances are very different.

anita had a previous internet fanbase, she had bigger awareness due to the 4chan/reddit attack on her which brought out sympathy donations (she had already gotten the 6k before that though). I feel sorry for the dude but bringing up anita does nothing but make you look like an asshole.

kalparun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kalparun

@hawkinson76 said:

Straw man argument, and silly.

On the whole there is no justification for bitching based on systemic bias against men, all other things being equal a man has a better chance in almost every circumstance, systemic bias is almost always in our favor.

Also, please don't post this on a video game website. Or any other site, because it is dumb.

Even if that's not true, does it mean that we should turn a blind eye?

Also, this is off-topic, it's not about video games.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By ki11tank

this is stupid and is presented horribly. one is supposed to simply provide facts, not load each piece of information with their own worthless opinions.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By geirr

Makes me feel bored.. or more bored since I was bored enough to click this.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JasonR86

@Animasta said:

@kalparun said:

@Animasta said:

He wants to make an autobiographical account to raise awareness and I guess, clear out his name.

what does that have to do with anita at all then? why did you bring that up? What was the point of comparing the two? their circumstances are very different.

anita had a previous internet fanbase, she had bigger awareness due to the 4chan/reddit attack on her which brought out sympathy donations (she had already gotten the 6k before that though). I feel sorry for the dude but bringing up anita does nothing but make you look like an asshole.

Because sexism and this dude just can't let shit be.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

The Kickstarter was for a film chronicling his story, and it made its goal.

There's certainly a lot of conversations worth having about the circumstances that put Brian Banks behind bars, but a lot of what's in the OP seems pretty far off base. If you want to have a discussion about people getting a ton of money on Kickstarter and not delivering, that's a totally different conversation that has nothing to do with gender or race.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Animasta

@JasonR86 said:

@Animasta said:

@kalparun said:

@Animasta said:

Because sexism and this dude just can't let shit be.

I mean if the dude wanted ot make an actual point, he might as well compared that dude to the ouya, because she'll at least post a video, even if it's late

cruxking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cruxking

@laserbolts said:

I'm hoping this stuff dies off soon and people get back to talking about videogames until another thing gets brought up. Sick of people acting like they care about this stuff so they can feel better about themselves.

this.

kalparun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kalparun

@Chaser324 said:

There's certainly a lot of conversations worth having about the circumstances that put Brian Banks behind bars, but a lot of what's in the OP seems pretty far off base. If you want to have a discussion about people getting a ton of money on Kickstarter and not delivering, that's a totally different conversation that has nothing to do with gender or race.

I wanted to point out how people underestimate or even not recognise that males actually get discriminated too.

How many times have you seen people rejecting the concept of misandry? I've seen many.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By intro

It makes me feel nothing. I don't know them and don't care about either of them.

Sorry.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mirado

It makes me feel like the entirety of the Off-Topic forum should be towed out to sea and sunk.

ultrapeanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By ultrapeanut

It makes me feel like you're an idiot and should feel bad about yourself.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By zoozilla

@kalparun said:

@Chaser324 said:

I wanted to point out how people underestimate or even not recognise that males actually get discriminated too.

How many times have you seen people rejecting the concept of misandry? I've seen many.

There's some irony in a person wanting to raise awareness about sexism against men decrying a feminist for raising money to raise awareness of sexism against women.

kalparun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kalparun

It sure is nice when #1reasonwhy complains about instances of women getting hit on, or passed of as "receptionists".

That is SEXISM and so horrible.

Threads were filled with people shouting EQUALITY.

When men get actual discrimination and I make a thread for that, apparently it's not a big deal.

I mean really, "loud language"? What kind of criticism is that?

This is hypocrisy at it's finest.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Animasta

@kalparun said:

@Chaser324 said:

I'll reject the fact that misandry is in any way equal to misogyny. One is a problem with many different symptoms, too numerous for me to count, and one is for unfair child care laws and occasional wrong rape accusations (though there are plenty of cases where women are raped and the guy gets out of it).

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Sexism sucks both ways but it happens to women more. Men are more privileged especially the white ones. That doesn't mean that they don't go through their own adversities but your kidding yourself by saying that male privilege doesn't exist.

I like this passage of an editorial I found from dr. nerdlove.

How Male Privilege Affects Geek Girls In Real Life
Don’t make the mistake of thinking male privilege is solely about how big Power Girl’s tits are, fan service and jiggle physics in 3D fighters. It affects geek girls in direct, personal ways as well.
Remember the example I mentioned earlier with my then-girlfriend in the comic store? Her opinions were deemed mistaken and she was told she didn’t “get it”… because she was a girl.
Y’see, one of the issues that nerd girls face is the fact that they are seen as girls first and anything else second.And before you flood my comments section demanding to know why this is a bad thing, realize that being seen as a “girl” first colors every interaction that they have within fandom. They’re treated differentlybecause they are women.
We will now pause for the expected responses: well that’s a good thing isn’t it, girls get special treatmentbecause they’re girls, guys will fall all over themselves to try to get girls to like ‘em so it all balances out.

"Can I power-level your rogue for you? Are you looking for the Jem DVDs? Let me show you the anime section... wait, come back...."
If you’re paying attention you’ll realize that – once again – those reactions are what I’m talking about.
Y’see, nobody’s saying that women don’t receive different treatment from guys… I’m saying that being treated differently is the problem. And yes, I know exactly what many of you are going to say and I’ll get to that in a minute.
Male privilege – again – is about what men can expect as the default setting for society. A man isn’t going to have everything about him filtered through the prism of his gender first. A man, for example, who gets a job isn’t going to face with suggestions that his attractiveness or that his willingness to perform sexual favors was a factor in his being hired, nor will he be shrugged off as a “quota hire”. A man isn’t expected to be a representative of his sex in all things; if he fails at a job, it’s not going to be extrapolated that all men are unfit for that job. A man who’s strong-willed or aggressive won’t be denigrated for it, nor are men socialized to “go along to get along”. A man can expect to have his opinion considered, not dismissed out of hand because of his sex. When paired with a woman who’s of equal status, the man can expect that most of the world will assume that he’s the one in charge. And, critically, a man doesn’t have to continually view the world through the lens of potential violence and sexual assault.
Now with this in mind, consider why being a girl first may be a hindrance to geek girls. A guy who plays a first person shooter – Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, what-have-you – online may expect a certain amount of trash talking, but he’s not going to be inundated with offers for sex, threats of rape, sounds of simulated masturbation or demands that he blow the other players – but not before going to the kitchen and getting them a beer/sandwich/pizza first. Men will also not be told that they’re being “too sensitive” or that “they need to toughen up” when they complain about said sexual threats.
Men also won’t have their opinions weighed or dismissed solely on the basis of how sexy or attractive they are. The most common responses a woman can expect in an argument – especially online – is that she’s fat, ugly, single, jealous, a whore, or a lesbian – or any combination thereof – and therefore her opinion is irrelevant, regardless of it’s actual merits. This is especially true if she’s commenting on the portrayal of female characters, whether in comics, video games or movies.

"Bet you're paying attention to what I have to say now!"
Men can expect that their presence at an event won’t automatically be assumed to be decorative or secondary to another man. Despite the growing presence of women in comics, as publishers, editors and creators as well as consumers, a preponderance of men will either treat women at conventions as inconveniences, booth bunnies or even potential dates. Many a female creator or publisher has had the experience of convention guests coming up and addressing all of their questions to the man at the table… despite being told many times that the man is often the assistant, not the talent, only there to provide logistical support and occasional heavy lifting.
Men are also not going to be automatically assigned into a particular niche just based on their gender. A girl in a comic store or a video game store is far more likely to be dismissed as another customer’s girlfriend/sister/cousin rather than being someone who might actually be interested in making a purchase herself. And when they are seen as customers, they’re often automatically assumed to be buying one of thedesignated “girl” properties… regardless of whether they were just reading Ultimate Spider-Man or looking for a copy of Saint’s Row 3.
Of course, the other side of the coin isn’t much better; being dismissed for the sin of being a woman is bad, but being placed on the traditional pillar is no less insulting. Guys who fall all over themselves to fawn over a geek girl and dance in attendance upon her are just as bad. The behavior is different, but the message is the same: she’s different because she’s a girl. These would-be white knights are ultimately treating her as a fetish object, not as a person. It’s especially notable when it comes to sexy cosplayers; the guys will laude them for being geek girls and celebrate them in person and online. They’ll lavish attention upon them, take photos of them and treat them as queens…
And in doing so, they’re sending the message that women are only valued in geek culture if they’re willing to be a sexually alluring product. Everybody loves Olivia Munn when she enters the room ass-cheeks first as Aeon Flux, but nobody is particularly concerned by the girls dressed in a baseball tee, jeans and ballet flats. One of these is welcomed into geek culture with open arms, the other has to justify their existence in the first place.
DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DeathByWaffle

I appreciate being made aware of Brian Banks, but I'm not sure how this a gender equality issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa
deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are probably a bunch of really dumb Kickstarters that got fully funded, but you picked one that would reinforce an opinion you already had. You don't address the fact that women are sometimes ignored or intimidated when they accuse someone of rape. You seem to be ignoring the fact that men are paid more and promoted more often than women. (http://www.pay-equity.org/) Also, maybe people just care more about hearing someone's opinion on pop culture than they do fixing that guys life. Fair, maybe not, but that's life.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@kalparun said:

@Chaser324 said:

If that's the point you were trying to make, your post certainly didn't successfully make it. You can't judge how important an issue is by how much money is generated by people that want to raise awareness about it.

Also, I think you're making some assumptions about the relative importance of the issues that led to Brian Banks's imprisonment. It doesn't seem to me like gender is even the core issue. Race and issues in the way courts prosecute rape charges seem to me to be the real issue.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By frankfartmouth

If it's all about sexism, then how do you explain the fact that the Angry Video Game Nerd got something like 300,000 to make his movie (which is probably going to be really stupid)? I think the disparity you've pointed out here has far more to do with the fact that Brian Banks' story is depressing and convoluted, and so people pass over it.

No Caption Provided

Fuck you, sexism!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MezZa

Well, this makes me feel that this might be a more apt thread if there weren't so many other variables that can potentially be involved that aren't sexism. You post as if these two exist in a vacuum where only gender played a role in why they did or didn't earn money. At least use more controlled examples to support yourself. As it stands, you're just seeing what you want to see and trying to make a point out of it. I'd have enjoyed this thread much more if you would've just stuck to informing me about the man and what he went through. That was much more interesting and made me sad for him. The rest made me kind of sad for myself for clicking on this thread.