Posted by BlackSymbiote (105 posts) -

It's not a simple question that's for sure. Especially when you ask it to a fan. It's even worse when you're talking to a collector. The countless number of bits of merchandise that are thrown in our faces are vast in their variety. Posters, statues, action figures, t-shirts, framed artwork, the list goes on. It can range from the inexpensive to the exorbitant. So how far is too far? 

Is a shelf of merchandise too much? What about a room? Is it too far if you have a large number of objects? Or does that become acceptable if you didn't have to pay a lot to get to that stage? If you only have one or two items, but you paid an arm and a leg for them, is that too much? Or maybe this isn't about the fan, but the people and companies providing it all. Does the root of the problem lay with those who make the goods? Maybe they should know better when making a set of themed night vision goggles. Maybe it's too far when you get to the jumbo jet painted with Pokemon. 

This all came to mind when earlier in the week, Bioware announced the release of yet more Mass Effect 2 Lithographs on their online store. Not only that, but these limited edition pieces, signed and numbered by the artist, increased in price from the previously normal $30 each, to $40. Sure $10 isn't much, but when both you and the company  know that they'll sell out within minutes of being online for purchase, is it just a money grab? But then maybe they're entitled to that for making something that has such a demand. 

As a collector myself, it's definitely a question I keep asking myself. At what point to I call it quits? Do I ever call it quits? Will I ever reach that point when I'm satisfied? Why do I even have such a compulsion to begin with? How far is too far?

#1 Posted by BlackSymbiote (105 posts) -

It's not a simple question that's for sure. Especially when you ask it to a fan. It's even worse when you're talking to a collector. The countless number of bits of merchandise that are thrown in our faces are vast in their variety. Posters, statues, action figures, t-shirts, framed artwork, the list goes on. It can range from the inexpensive to the exorbitant. So how far is too far? 

Is a shelf of merchandise too much? What about a room? Is it too far if you have a large number of objects? Or does that become acceptable if you didn't have to pay a lot to get to that stage? If you only have one or two items, but you paid an arm and a leg for them, is that too much? Or maybe this isn't about the fan, but the people and companies providing it all. Does the root of the problem lay with those who make the goods? Maybe they should know better when making a set of themed night vision goggles. Maybe it's too far when you get to the jumbo jet painted with Pokemon. 

This all came to mind when earlier in the week, Bioware announced the release of yet more Mass Effect 2 Lithographs on their online store. Not only that, but these limited edition pieces, signed and numbered by the artist, increased in price from the previously normal $30 each, to $40. Sure $10 isn't much, but when both you and the company  know that they'll sell out within minutes of being online for purchase, is it just a money grab? But then maybe they're entitled to that for making something that has such a demand. 

As a collector myself, it's definitely a question I keep asking myself. At what point to I call it quits? Do I ever call it quits? Will I ever reach that point when I'm satisfied? Why do I even have such a compulsion to begin with? How far is too far?

#2 Posted by Chuggsy (554 posts) -

I would say as long as you have the extra money, and you really think that in 10 years you won't regret buying it, then go ahead.

Also, if you're trying to impress a girl by chance, don't make the stuff your primary decorations. Keep it in another room, or make it subtle.

#3 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

You only know the answer to that. We can't tell you when to stop.

#4 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

If someone wants merchandise from something they truly enjoy, then I say they might as well go for it. If they're just buying it because it's merchandise and they want it, then there's a problem. I don't have any real merchandise for anything, but if I was to get some it would probably be from a band I enjoy listening to, or something along those lines. If it's something that would be socially acceptable then I see no problem.

#5 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

I think my Jungler themed room is totally normal, thank you very much.

#6 Posted by bobafettjm (1487 posts) -

As someone who has an entire room full of video games and video game themed memorabilia I really can't say anything about when to stop.

#7 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

Underwear or sex toys. Your pick.

#8 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

When you buy a sex toy of a female (or male) in your favourite video game...and do it.

#9 Posted by ___pocalypse (561 posts) -

Eh, I don't think there's really a "too far" when it comes to things you love as long as it isn't negatively impacting the rest of your life. Going into debt over fandom merchandise, or collecting it to the point that you don't care about anything else, that would be problematic just like any other sort of obsession.

I kind of admire the people who have neatly organized rooms stuffed full of figurines and other memorabilia from the games/comics/whatever that they love. I couldn't personally do it, because I don't have the money or the space to collect things, but I definitely think a lot of fandom merchandise (like the lithographs) doubles as art, and I don't think there's anything wrong with decorating your home with it. To me its more or less like showing off your books or DVDs; it's just stuff you like and want to have or share with people, and no one really worries if they have too many books or DVDs. 

#10 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Once you buy a single piece of fandom merch, you've gone too far. But that's just my thoughts.

#11 Posted by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

After expending around a $100 bucks on a Saint Seiya figure cant really be the one to bring the voice of reason ..... yet I can be Loki and say why not? People waste tons of money on saints , holy figures , jewels etc. why not memorabilia ... has the same purpose ... making life worth while :)

#12 Edited by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

A collector will always have that nagging in the back of their head of "is this too much" Chances are you still buy it anyway only because you want it. The only real problem comes when you actually run out of money.  At that point you sell it all and start over.  
Or, at least that's how I've been dealing with it.

#13 Posted by BlackSymbiote (105 posts) -

That's really interesting. Most seem to think so long as the collecting doesn't cross financial, moral, or sanity lines, it's not that big of an issue. I tend to only purchase things that also have artistic nature. And yes, if I couldn't afford it, I certainly wouldn't get it. I'm quite good with my finances and so these purchases don't put me at any risk at all. Like Axxol said, it's definitely something each person can only answer for themselves. I just became curious what, if any, rules others here placed on themselves?

#14 Posted by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

I guess it all boils down to "do I have the money to spare?" .... no other interesting reasons for me anyway

#15 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@RsistncE said:
" Underwear or sex toys. Your pick. "
#16 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -

If you can describe yourself as a collector, you've gone too far already.

#17 Posted by Asurastrike (2166 posts) -

Read the title as femdom...

#18 Posted by BlackSymbiote (105 posts) -

@Aetheldod with the lithographs I also kinda have to consider wall space too :P

@Hamst3r Aren't "gamers" inherently collectors anyways? Always getting the new game. I guess that depends how much you feed the Gamestop.

Also, what makes one a collector? Is it just having a lot of one type/class of thing, or is it if you insist on getting everything? Or maybe only if you're a giant insect creature? I have certainly passed up lithographs that I didn't think looked good from an artistic standpoint. But I do have quite a few. I think I'm up to 6 right now.

#19 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @RsistncE said:
" Underwear or sex toys. Your pick. "
"

#20 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

If you buy an actual person.  That's too far.

#21 Posted by Dantekiller (206 posts) -

i dont know but you could find some examples in the WOW  community 
and dont get me wrong i dont hate on WOW players its just some take it to far  

looooooooooosssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr
#22 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -
@BlackSymbiote: The answer is actually very simple.  

Q. How Far is Too Far When Buying Fandom Merchandise? 
A. When it starts hurting the things in life that you need in order to live. If you spend rent, bills or food money on fandom mechandise. When you choose to spend your money on memorabilia then shoes or cloths for you family.  As long as your obsession doesn't come before family or yourself. 
#23 Edited by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -
@Chuggsy said:

Also, if you're trying to impress a girl by chance, don't make the stuff your primary decorations. Keep it in another room, or make it subtle. 

Unless of course you're using the merchandise to impress her because she's as much a nerd as you, in which case I must collect such a rare specimen such as that by murdering you first.
#24 Posted by apeman (189 posts) -

If you have to ask.......

#25 Posted by stinky (1548 posts) -
@Dantekiller said:
" i dont know but you could find some examples in the WOW  community 
  looooooooooosssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr "

whoaa nelly. 
#26 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6299 posts) -

If you're one of the sick bastards that buys a fuckin body pillow of some Anime schoolgirl then I'd say that's too far. So yeah, sex shit is where I draw the line.

#27 Posted by Chuggsy (554 posts) -
@stinky said:

" @Dantekiller said:

whoaa nelly.  "

Watch this before you judge too hard.
#28 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -

Body-Pillows are too far.

#29 Posted by Brendan (7807 posts) -

If you're being fiscally responsible and you're enjoying it, than do whatever you want.  Depending on what you're collecting though, I might think you're weird.
#30 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@Chuggsy said:

" @stinky said:

" @Dantekiller said:

whoaa nelly.  "

Watch this before you judge too hard.
"
If captain kirk was fat and played more video games, he'd be this kid.  Oh shit he has aspergers.  Now I feel bad.