• 85 results
#1 Posted by Blackhebrew2 (68 posts) -

Hi yall,

I was reading a wall post by a favourite musician of mine on facebook and I came across this

ba x n^2a^2 = BANANA?

I thought about and I knew it was wrong so I used this to prove it.

say a = 1 amd b = 2 and N = 3 That equation would read [(2)(1) + 2(3)][(3^2)(1^2)] = (2)(1)(3)(1)(3)(1)

Which simplfied is 45=18 Which is wrong.

My thoughts...

(BA)(NANA) = Banana

Mine, by the same values is

2(1) x [(3)(1)(3)(1)] = (2)(1)(3)(1)(3)(1)

2 x 9 = 18

18 = 18 which is correct

Is my math correct? I just thought it was an interesting little thing that my math brain picked up. Are you guys any good at math? I got an A at Junior Cert (HIghest grade in Ireland before the REAL exam)

#2 Posted by RVonE (4633 posts) -

This shit is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

That's all I got.

#3 Posted by Blackhebrew2 (68 posts) -

@RVonE: Is it the way I have it formatted or just the sheer algebra?

#4 Posted by Kidavenger (3532 posts) -

#5 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

Not very.

#6 Posted by RVonE (4633 posts) -

@Blackhebrew2 said:

Both. Or 42. I haven't decided.

#7 Posted by Blackhebrew2 (68 posts) -

@RVonE said:

@Blackhebrew2 said:

42 (forty-two) is the natural number immediately following 41 and directly preceding 43. The only number you may ever need to know about. My bet is on 27 as the answer to everything, what's your favourite number?

#8 Posted by rawrsair (821 posts) -

I am all kinds of bad at maths.

#9 Posted by ArcadeHero (70 posts) -

This seems about as close to math as writing 8008135 on a calculator.

#10 Posted by RVonE (4633 posts) -

@Blackhebrew2 said:

@RVonE said:

@Blackhebrew2 said:

42 (forty-two) is the natural number immediately following 41 and directly preceding 43. The only number you may ever need to know about. My bet is on 27 as the answer to everything, what's your favourite number?

Eight! It has to be eight. Or two. I like two.

#11 Posted by SomeJerk (3216 posts) -

I'm like Rainman when it comes to math. Maths lessons? I'd skip school in the end due to that stuff.  Rather sit in the library and read. Now I'll take my groceries to the register and it always ends up 95-99% of the amount of money I wanted to shop for, and I'm not consciously calculating, I see the item, I see the tag, I take it. Most recent big bag of groceries was like at a $29.99 level of perfection, when I had $30 I wanted to spend. Math-idiot savantism.

#12 Posted by Blackhebrew2 (68 posts) -

@ArcadeHero: Care to explain, imo it's basic ass algebra?

#13 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

I . . I like banana.

#14 Posted by RVonE (4633 posts) -

@Winternet said:

I . . I like banana.

YEAH YOU DO!!!

#15 Edited by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

I'm an Engineer and i'm pretty bad at math. 

During school i would always set the problem up correctly and have all the right steps to solve the problem; however when it can to the last step of just solving using basic Differential 
Equations or even Calculus i would always mess up.

#16 Posted by Orbitz89 (229 posts) -

I am absolutely retarded at math, so i'm of no use to you.. in fact when i saw that many calculations in one place i blanked out for a little while and later woke up curled into a ball in the corner of my room.

I am not kidding! there are 12 year old kids who look like Einstein compared to me when it comes to math.

#17 Posted by Levius (1109 posts) -

Assuming BANANA stands for B x A x N x A X N x A then the left side is just a simplification of the right as:

N x N = N^2

A x A = A^2

Leaving the B and extra A.

Fyi (BA)(NANA) = B x A x N x A X N x A

As the equation has the same variables on each side any B, A and N values should be valid.

#18 Posted by ArcadeHero (70 posts) -

@Blackhebrew2: Didn't mean to criticize, the algebra is obviously fine. Its just that ba x n^2a^2 = BANANA seems kinda silly.

#19 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

Well ba(n^2)(a^2) = ba(nn)(aa) = banana. So yeah its right.

UNLESS

Each letter stands for a matrix, in which case multiplication of matrices is non-commutative, so the above statement would be false.

#20 Posted by ShaggE (6420 posts) -

I'm the worst. THE WORST. I want to change that, though, so I've considered some kind of online math course.

Never understood why I hated math in school. I love puzzles, and that's basically what it boils down to.

#21 Posted by RVonE (4633 posts) -
#22 Posted by SSully (4159 posts) -

I am pretty subpar. The biggest struggle in getting my degree in computer science so far has been my math courses. I have one more math course to go though, so I am almost home free!

#23 Posted by Blackhebrew2 (68 posts) -

This WHole thing took on a whole new level of meaning with the introduction of matrices . We need to go deeper. By the way, I'm trying to prove ba(n^2a^2) does not equal BAnANA . But the (Ba)(Nana) does equal Banana.

#24 Posted by mshaw006 (548 posts) -

Is this real life? It's just a joke. It's simplifying 'banana' as if it were b*a*n*a*n*a. What's the question?

#25 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

@Blackhebrew2: Maybe I've gotten a bit rusty, but where did the addition come from in your interpretation of "ba x n^2a^2 = BANANA" ? I think it's just supposed to be "b x a x n^2 x a^2", but with inconsistent omission of multiplication symbols.

#26 Posted by NegativeCero (2995 posts) -

I'm very, VERY awful at math. It just doesn't click with me.

#27 Posted by Blackhebrew2 (68 posts) -

@mshaw006 it was an originally a joke. I thought the joke was wrong . The initial joke was ba(n^2a^2 = banana. I looked at it, thought the math was wrong, so I came up with Ba(Nana) = banana just checking if I'm right and if the "joke" is wrong. Are there any other solutions,? I'm interested now. :)

#28 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

I can't even add/subtract negatives.

#29 Edited by WildFloyd (127 posts) -

if n^2a^2 is instead tensor notation for ( n , n ) . ( a , a ) then its just

n^2a^2 = ( n , n ) . ( a , a ) =na+na which gives you the right order for banana.

#30 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

@WildFloyd: I'm pretty sure it's just bad syntax for (n^2) * (a^2). No reason to drag linear algebra into things. Of course as it's written, a computer would interpret that bit as either (n^2a)^2 or n^(2a^2) depending on the interpreter, which would mess it all up.

#31 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Poll, this should be one.

#32 Posted by Levius (1109 posts) -

@Scrawnto: Well take it backwards.

We have b x a x (a^2) x (n^2).

Both (a^2) and (n^2) equal (a x a) and (n x n) respectively.

Leaving b x a x (n x n) x (a x a).

The brackets can be effectively ignored as everything is multiplied so:

b x a x n x n x a x a.

The terms can then be rearranged however you wish as they are just multiplied by each other, giving b x a x n x a x n x a.

Sorry if I was misleading, I didn't mean to imply any addition.

#33 Posted by Blackhebrew2 (68 posts) -

@ scrawnto you're 100% correct sir. Can I have some of that rust . Think of it as a typo sir. Due to the lack of an edit button on my iPhone I'll rewrite it correctly. Thanks for pointing it out. So ba(n^2a^2)= banana a= 1 b=2 n=3 (2)(1)[(3^2)(1^2)] = (2)(1)(3)(1)(3)(1) 2[(9)(1)] = 18 18 = 18 Humph , why thank you scrawnto. Let the world know that we have proven that ba(n^2a^2) = bananA has been proven true. What's next for the giant bomb math club?

#34 Posted by WildFloyd (127 posts) -

@Scrawnto: no it's tensors for deffo

#35 Edited by penINC (136 posts) -

What? How did addition come into your evaluation of ba*n^2*a^2? Anyway, since it's all multiplication, you can associate the variables any way you want and it will work out. ba*n^2*a^2=(ba)(nana)=a^3*b*n^2=b*a*n*a*n*a=(nab)(ana), whatever, it's all the same.

#36 Posted by WildFloyd (127 posts) -

@penINC: there's pleanty of multiplications where you can't do that, if a and n are opperators for example

I'm fully prepared to fund a research project into solving this using relativistic quantum mechanics. Lets get this ball rolling

#37 Posted by supermonkey122 (816 posts) -

Horrible

#38 Posted by Blackhebrew2 (68 posts) -

@pencilNc read my above post it explains my error , thanks for helping sir, I feel like such a fool!

#39 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

@AmatureIdiot: Hey there. If it tagged you as someone I was responding to, that's silly. I had you quoted and was agreeing with you, but I deleted it. I was even going to post, "To put it another way, if we work backwards" etc, which is exactly what you just did. I was actually talking about the first post with the addition comment.

#40 Posted by Blackhebrew2 (68 posts) -

@ wildfloyd this needs to happen! First , where do I learn quantum mechanics?

#41 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

...I hate everyone in this thread.

EVERYONE!

#42 Posted by Levius (1109 posts) -

@Scrawnto: Yeah, I totally got a message saying you had replied to my comment; that will teach me to read through posts before responding. Still, that's a weird bug.

#43 Edited by WildFloyd (127 posts) -

@Blackhebrew2: Great! researcher number 2! Wikipedia will have to do: get Dirac's equation (covarient form) tattooed on your inner thigh, put a cat in a box and reverse a car over it, and get cave johnson on the phone, he'll know where we need to take it from here - underground probably. *slams fist on table* science does not yet know enough about a and n, and that has to change if we are going to understand the "banana".

#44 Posted by Blackhebrew2 (68 posts) -

@wildfloyd aye aye captain! It shall be done! @Tim_the_corsair care to express your hatred in an equation , why must you hate us with math powers so?

#45 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I'm decent at Algebra but terrible at Geometry.

#46 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

On a scale of 1-10 probably a -97.

#47 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I like words, I hate numbers.

#48 Posted by Intro (1206 posts) -

@RVonE said:

This shit is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

That's all I got.

That's all the math I know.

#49 Posted by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

I'm alright at math. Least favorite subject.

#50 Edited by masterpaperlink (1837 posts) -

@Blackhebrew2 said:

@wildfloyd aye aye captain! It shall be done! @Tim_the_corsair care to express your hatred in an equation , why must you hate us with math powers so?

someone who cant rearrange an equation has no math powers.