• 81 results
Posted by Angre_Leperkan439 (333 posts) 10 months, 3 days ago

Poll: How important is music in your life? (228 votes)

Not at all, don't ever listen to music 4%
Minor. A few times a week, you might listen to musics. 15%
Somewhat important. You listen to musics several times a day 17%
Very. Every time you're doing something, music. Walking places? Music. Listening to music? Listening to more music. 47%
It is the crack for your ears. Listen while sleeping, eating, dying, living, breathing, suffocating... it is your existence 17%

I had the thought that I truly would not be able to live without music. I listen to music constantly, as often as I can, and I love finding new music for myself to explore. I consider music as very important in my life, as I constantly have it going, and even have trouble playing games without it in the background.

Just curious to see what other's music needs are.

#1 Edited by erhard (400 posts) -

I'd say very important. If I go without it for a few hours I'll miss it.

#2 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -

I consider it very important, but I don't listen to it during everything I do.

#3 Posted by Sanity (1901 posts) -

Somewhere between somewhat and very, i dont need it on all the time, but i have music on a lot at work and i can tie a lot of memories to songs or artists.

#4 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

Are you an alt account for falserelic?

#5 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

I guess not really? I don't feel music in my blood the way some people seem to. That's okay, there are other forms of art that do it for me more.

#6 Posted by forkboy (1139 posts) -

I'd say very important, but with the caveat that I don't listen to as much as I used to. I mean often when I'm out now I'll be as happy listening to a podcast than to an album on the iPod. Despite that, it's still super important to me & something I'm very passionate about. I just can't get my head around people who only listen to the radio for some background noise. Not that there's anything wrong with that attitude to music, just that I find it hard to reconcile with my own passion.

#7 Posted by Morningstar (2150 posts) -

It's Vital. With a capital V.

#8 Edited by Angre_Leperkan439 (333 posts) -

Are you an alt account for falserelic?

No, as far as I know?

#9 Edited by CaLe (3964 posts) -

I would have no problems never hearing music again for the rest of my life. It's mostly just unnecessary noise. If I have the time to just sit and listen to something I much prefer listening to people talking.

#10 Edited by Zeik (2391 posts) -

Not very. I enjoy music, in many forms, most video games wouldn't be the same without their music, but I've never been one to obsess over bands or buy CDs or MP3s from specific musicians.

#11 Posted by wemibelec90 (1631 posts) -

Music is almost always something I do in the background when I'm writing or playing games that don't require sound. Before my deep, deep dive into Asian pop music this year (courtesy of @mcghee's excellent thread), I was barely paying attention to new music, or music at all. I enjoy good music, but I'm just a little skeptical about the style and quality of today's music, so I tend to only keep an eye on bands I like.

#12 Posted by Aegon (5545 posts) -
#13 Edited by Nev (547 posts) -

Very important. My life would be pretty damn miserable without music.

#14 Posted by ikilledthedj (279 posts) -

Im a dj so it pays the bills, so pretty damm important

#15 Posted by Kidavenger (3536 posts) -

Late teens early 20s it was very important, I probably have about 400 cd's packed in boxes in my basement that I bought over a ten year period, now, I couldn't care less, I like listening to those old cds, but I don't have the time to look for new stuff, and the majority of what's on the radio around here isn't to my tastes.

I do listen to Coverville every week, so I do get a bit.

#16 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

Listening and more so playing music are very important in my life. It's my only real creative outlet, so without music I get very antsy.

#17 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (885 posts) -

Very important indeed. I feel I don't get to listen to enough these days, but I try my best to get as much music in my life as possible. Right now I am exploring Hannah Epperson, which I found when she accompanied Shane Koyczan in a video. Beautiful music. My life would be a depressing mess without music.
One thing that would be an interesting addition to this poll is whether people consider themselves introvert or extrovert. I'd think that the more introvert, the more music would be important. Also what kind of music each type of person like. Anyway, carry on!

#18 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

I don't think your choices are accurate to what I think, but I would describe my music as this: if I didn't find my niche, I would be a completely different person. I probably would have gone crazy without it a couple of years ago. I cannot overstate how important it is to me.

However, I do not listen to it that often. When I do, it's an appropriately non-social situation, typically alone in my room.

#19 Posted by Elyhaym (196 posts) -

Very important. I'm the kind of person who still uses a dedicated MP3 player along with high quality headphones. I cannot imagine my life without music.

#20 Edited by PenguinDust (12499 posts) -

For listening enjoyment, I prefer podcasts actually. I do have the radio on at work, but a few hours each day, I load up a couple of podcasts and play them in the background. I have to think about my co-workers, though so I balance it with some non-offensive ClearChannel rock.

#21 Edited by Three0neFive (2292 posts) -

People always say "Oh, I couldn't live without my music!" like it's some sort of weird quirk but I feel like that's a pretty universal thing, it's an incredibly important tool for personal/cultural identity and expression as well as an emotional outlet (both on the part of the artist and the listener.) I know I've sure as shit learned a lot about myself as I've discovered different bands and drifted through different genres - your tastes are a reflection of who you are and what you identify with.

So yeah, I'd say I fucking love music.

#22 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (533 posts) -

I got my degree in it, and I'm working towards making a living writing it.

#23 Posted by CynicalBuzzard (240 posts) -

Music is somewhat important in my life.

#24 Posted by Cloudleet (155 posts) -

In my job as a store-clerk, music is oh so important. Organizing the back rooms, music, filling up with dairyproducts, music. And when I come home and want to relax, full volume, headset on, Daft Punk.

#25 Edited by Hunter5024 (5639 posts) -

The only times I listen to music are at work, if I'm writing, or if I'm studying with a subject that allows it. I also like to put it on when I am being a dungeon master. Other than those few scenarios I don't really listen. I get kind of bored if that's all I'm doing honestly. I don't really understand why it's so important to some people. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

#26 Posted by Nach0Sanchez (27 posts) -

I go to school for illustration. I can't draw without music... or bombcast

#27 Posted by Ben_H (3347 posts) -

I listen to music for roughly 8 hours each day. I play music for an hour or two each day. So yeah I would say it is important to me.

#28 Posted by MonetaryDread (2020 posts) -

Since podcasts came out I have started listening to less music then ever.

#29 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -

Very. I have Spotify premium which has made it easy for me to have music I like playing all the time and the playlists for whatever moment like walking, working out, driving, or studying. I'm so-so when it comes to being an audiophile, I'll tolerate 320 mbps when I'm running or driving but if I'm at home where I have proper speakers at my PC or the surround sound at my disposal then I'll bust out the FLAC library

#30 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5438 posts) -

I love listening to music all the time. Not as much as I listen to podcasts though.

#31 Posted by Whitestripes09 (401 posts) -

Pretty important... if I'm at my computer I'm more than likely listening to music as well. About Three or four years ago I had a discussion with my music teacher and he had said how at his house he didn't have a stereo or sound system. I found it so hard to believe, but he said that due to his job he found that he needed a break from music... Why would you go into a music profession then if you eventually get used to it?

#32 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#33 Edited by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I have music running pretty much from when I wake up to when I go to bed.

#34 Posted by believer258 (11815 posts) -

I don't listen to it 24/7 like I used to but I still find myself listening to music quite often.

#35 Posted by Mechanical_Ape (251 posts) -

Music isn't very important to me, but at the same time I do listen to it every day. To me, it's just noise in the background. I need something to break up the silence while I work and music is the obvious answer, but I can go hours and not remember any specific songs I heard. I rarely, if ever, just sit down and actually focus on listening to music.

#36 Edited by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Not at all. I find I dislike the majority of music out there and the few songs I do kind of like I can't stand listening to them for long. I'm never in a situation where I would just listen to music as well. I'm always playing a game or watching a movie/tv show so it's not something to do at the same time. If I ever got back into drawing or doing 3D then I would probably start listening to music again. It was the only time I found myself able to just have music playing.

#37 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1729 posts) -

Music is undeniably the most important thing in my life. It's about way more than simple enjoyment for me. Sometimes it's the only thing that gets me through the day. Maybe it sounds kind of cheesy, but it's damn true. I live for the times I hear a new song and it's so good it gives me chills. I've been playing guitar for almost 10 years and have been honing my vocal skills for awhile now too. Being a professional musician is my goal in life. A lofty one, for sure, but one I want desperately to achieve.

#38 Posted by Ezakael (935 posts) -

I listen to music a lot throughout the day. I also play guitar so I'd say it's pretty important to me. I'm actually kind of bummed right now because I haven't been able to find any new artists that I really like lately.

#39 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I'd rather be blind than deaf and I have tinitus.

#40 Edited by RonGalaxy (3130 posts) -

I would die of a broken heart if music was taken away from me. To me, it's the purest artform; one that can express ideas and emotions without blatantly spelling them out. Yes, not all music is created equal, but I find the best of what music has to offer more personally and emotionally affecting then almost everything found in this world, certainly in art. It's, personally, my favorite and preferred method for artistic expression.

#41 Posted by Capum15 (4883 posts) -

I listen to music a good amount throughout the day. I also leave it playing when I go to sleep.

#42 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

I would die of a broken heart if music was taken away from me. To me, it's the purest artform; one that can express ideas and emotions without blatantly spelling them out. Yes, not all music is created equal, but I find the best of what music has to offer more personally and emotionally affecting then almost everything found in this world, certainly in art. It's, personally, my favorite and preferred method for artistic expression.

I appreciate that your wording is trying to make sure we know your just expressing your own opinion. Neverless, I'm hard pressed to understand how music is "purer" by virtue of being less explicit- certainly it's a better vessel than written arts for emotion and markedly worse for ideas? I'm leaving out lyrical songs because that's a hybrid of poetry and music and it's the poetry that conveys the ideas better. And even if you do want to believe that being less explicit leads to "purity" then surely it doesn't really have anything there over the more abstract forms visual art? Unless sound is somehow "purer" than sight.

I hope I'm not coming across as sneering or combative, I don't mean to be.

#43 Posted by sub_o (890 posts) -

I have a headphone / earphone all the time. My love for music led me to learn music theory and picking up guitar, and I've been very happy with it.

#44 Posted by TooWalrus (13178 posts) -

I've got headphones in most of the time, but it's usually podcasts I'm listening to.

#45 Posted by Vanick (329 posts) -

I seem to have a much easier time working out when I'm listening to music. I also listen to music when I good to bed. Life would kind of suck without music.

#46 Edited by Animasta (14675 posts) -

music is pretty cool I guess

actually I was going to go to bed and then I started listening to an album I hadn't before (The Avalanches - Since I Left You) and it's so good I can't stop send help

#47 Posted by development (2261 posts) -

Music for me is a religion, and Korn is the shit!

#48 Posted by Nev (547 posts) -

@animasta said:

music is pretty cool I guess

actually I was going to go to bed and then I started listening to an album I hadn't before (The Avalanches - Since I Left You) and it's so good I can't stop send help

Haha, excellent album! Frontier Psychiatrist makes my brain melt.

#49 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Important enough, but it's not like I can't live without it. Usually helps me get shit done faster when I'm listening to it, though.

#50 Posted by PandaBear (1360 posts) -

Music for me is a religion, and Korn is the shit!

I have to listen to tracks that can hit up that kind of rush I get from gaming and let me really rock it!